[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Shin Godzilla subs potential v2

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 14

File: maxresdefault.jpg (467KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
467KB, 1920x1080px
Hey guys, subsanon here. Been a while

Question about a possible v2 for Shin Godzilla.

So, the Funimation blu-ray removes all the Japanese signs and titles and shit. This can be either a good thing or a bad thing.

If we were to put out our own proper release, would you guys prefer it with the original Japanese titles and our translation on top (like the original subs we put out) or without the Japanese titles and with our translation moved to the original position of the Japanese titles?

To simplify it in case the above sounds stupid:

1) Japanese signs removed, our translated signs placed in the original location of the Japanese signs

2) Japanese signs still in place, our translated signs on top (as was in our original subs)
>>
Japanese signs still in place, translated signs on top
>>
>>86210181
What would be the difference between what we currently have and if you were to go through with choice 2? Because fuck Funimation, the only reason they cut the titles was because they can't style subs.
>>
File: DGQZ6bVXUAEqROk.jpg (103KB, 1199x501px) Image search: [Google]
DGQZ6bVXUAEqROk.jpg
103KB, 1199x501px
>>86210511
If we were to do choice 2, instead of placing the translated signs on top of the Japanese signs, we would move and resize the translated signs to sit on top of the Japanese subs instead of beside them. That placement would then be used for the Funimation BD video.

The end product would be like if Funimation had translated the Japanese signs and left them styled and placed exactly where they were.

The screen'll be less crowded than the original, but you'll be missing the Japanese text.

For example, imagine instead of our styled and translated text being on top in this shot, it replaced the Japanese text completely. That's the possibility here. Only issue is that some people might not like the lack of Japanese signs, hence why I'm asking.
>>
File: text.jpg (551KB, 4408x1125px) Image search: [Google]
text.jpg
551KB, 4408x1125px
Do you mean stuff like this?
>>
>>86210750
Yeah, that's basically what option 1 is.

Option 2 would be if the English translation was moved down and the Japanese signs were removed.

So, picture that but with English signs at the bottom replacing the Japanese signs and no translation whatsoever at the top.
>>
>>86210700
If I'm using subs, I already can't understand nip.
Gas the signs and replace the text so the frame isn't as cluttered.
>>
>>86210849
That's what I'm thinking-- we can use the Funimation video and just base the placement of the signs on the Japanese video.

That way we can keep the aesthetic/look of the original signs whilst cutting down on the clutter that having two translations on screen at the same time introduced.

They only intended for the screen to be *so* crowded, that I feel replacing the translations would be more accurate rather than just throwing the translations up top.
>>
>>86210937
If you can keep the font style, which is the EVA font from >>86210750 I'm guessing, then this is probably best.
>>
>>86211013
That's what we already did in our original subs (if you used our intended styled .ass subs instead of the crapshoot alternative .srt subs)
>>
Signing off for now.

We'll check this (whether it's alive or archived) in the morning.

We're probably going to go with option 1 (I got mixed up in my above posts btw, option 1 is the one where we use Funimation's bastardized video and place our signs to match the placement of the original Japanese signs)
>>
File: japanese.png (2MB, 1912x800px) Image search: [Google]
japanese.png
2MB, 1912x800px
>>
Option 1 please i was really dissapointed when the version i got didn't include them.

They looked cool as fuck on the cinema.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (483KB, 1200x1022px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
483KB, 1200x1022px
EVA movie by Toho when?
>>
call me a dummy if you want but where am i supposed to get subtitles? most movies i download already have them but don't know where to look for options when needed.

Also i'm interested on these Gojira subtittles you guys will make, but where am i supposed to get them?
>>
>>86210181
best option would be to just include two tracks, wouldn't it?

ive only ever done real simple sub styling but it doesn't seem like a prohibitive amount of work
>>
>>86210181
Is it too fucking hard to make multiple subs tracks?
>>
>>86211550
this was amanos test to see if he would be allowed to make a live action EVA movie.

god knows it had all the EVA camera angles.
>>
>>86210181
I was disappointed by all the edits and laziness of the Funimafion release. If they had the ability to remove the Japanese text surely they had the ability to add English text that looked aesthetically similar. Just removing everything and putting block text subtitles is beyond lazy and ruins the composition of scenes. On top of that there's so much shit that they didn't even bother to subtitle. The fucking bootleg subbed version I downloaded had more effort put into it. I honestly thought US companies were above doing shit like this these days.
>>
File: 1501711117629.jpg (95KB, 686x960px) Image search: [Google]
1501711117629.jpg
95KB, 686x960px
>>86210181
Having seen it in theaters, I really missed the EVA style subs and titles. I was bummed when I saw the bluray changed them. Guess I should be happy it wasn't the edited version that was leaked a couple months after release.... but I still want my based anno autists subs ..
>>
The Funimation subs are shit but the dub is somehow much much worse
>>
>>86211728
>god knows it had all the EVA camera angles.
The OST too
https://soundcloud.com/fenrirr/anime-neon-genesis-evangelion-ost-1-decisive-battle
>>
File: CZp95Iu.png (3MB, 1856x2180px) Image search: [Google]
CZp95Iu.png
3MB, 1856x2180px
What did he mean by this?

Did he add it because it was "cool" like with the most shit in Evangelion or what?
>>
hey real quick can someone with the funi bd rip check if the line at 54:49 is still mistranslated
>>
File: Yoshitaka_Amano_Maten_-_p059.jpg (2MB, 1890x2850px) Image search: [Google]
Yoshitaka_Amano_Maten_-_p059.jpg
2MB, 1890x2850px
>>86211728
>amano
>eva
Now that would be an interesting clash of style
>>
>>86211909
>how the fuck did i write Amano instead of Anno?

spell check is a mysterious thing bro.
>>
File: AYANAMI.jpg (203KB, 1350x900px) Image search: [Google]
AYANAMI.jpg
203KB, 1350x900px
>>86211728
inb4 the last rebuild is live-action and anno spent the last few years perfecting the craft jim cameron style
>>
>>86211909
godzilla changing his form in reaction his situation, in this case in response to being attacked by a coordinated group of individuals. plays into the film's whole focus on the power & failings of organizations yknow
>>
>>86212128
stranger things have happened.
>>
>>86211909
Which part? The face in his tail or the humanzillas?
The face is heavily implied to be Goro Maki's. He's the one that named Gojira and was studying mutations caused by nuclear radiation. He disappeared from his boat right before Godzilla started to rapidly mutate and attack Japan. He also blamed Japan for the death of his wife and wanted revenge. When the protagonists discover this it cuts to a shot of the face opening its mouth.
The humanoid Godzillas are either people that got absorbed and mutated by coming into contact with Godzilla or they were going to be the next step of his mutation/evolution.
>>
>>86212164
>people that got absorbed and mutated by coming into contact with Godzilla
Where does it imply this in the slightest.
>>
File: b2vpL8L.jpg (111KB, 960x799px) Image search: [Google]
b2vpL8L.jpg
111KB, 960x799px
>>86212164
>they were going to be the next step of his mutation/evolution
This. Godzilla adapts based on environment and circumstances. The other option isn't ever suggested. Plus those things are way too large to be people.
>>
>>86212005
Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust actually has a few designs that look pretty similar to Anno's style.
>>
>>86212220
I didn't say for sure that's what it was. There's no clear answer so that's one of the things people have speculated. If it could absorb a guy's face into it's tail it stands to reason it could absorb the people its crushing while mutating. I think it's more likely that they were just the next step of Gojira's evolution to fight off humanity though.
>>
File: woa.jpg (147KB, 1200x821px) Image search: [Google]
woa.jpg
147KB, 1200x821px
> when?
>>
>>86212128
not sure if trap
>>
>>86212311
>>86212164
i took the stuff with maki as figurative instead of literal, that they represent the same albatross around the neck of modern japan and its complacency, institutional blinders, learned helplessness, ect instead of literally being part of godzilla
>>
>>86212380
im sure the penis is extremely feminine if it is a trap.
>>
>>86212261
based kawajiri
>>
>>86212457
But then why did he disappear immediately before Godzilla suddenly and rapidly started to mutate and why did he have a human looking face on his tail? Why did it cut straight to the face after they discuss Goro? I'm not saying i'm right but that was the impression I got while watching it and i've seen other people say the same.
>>
File: ASUKA.jpg (54KB, 558x823px) Image search: [Google]
ASUKA.jpg
54KB, 558x823px
>>86212380
more
>>
>>86212568
a deep thematic connection doesn't necessarily imply a literal in-universe connection is all i'm saying. like serizawa and '54 godzilla
>>
>>86210181
I can sort of understand replacing the Japanese titles of all the job positions and cabinet members with plain text subtitles but just removing stylized text that takes up 50-75% of the screen makes the movie look like a fucking work print or something.
>>
>>86211893
I don't know if it was the recording or the voice actors but there are a few characters where every
"s" sound they make is really harsh and pronounced. Drove me crazy.
>but Prime MiniSSSter we can't allow the USSSSA to bomb uSSS again!
>>
>>86212660
I get you.
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.