[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT masterpieces hidden behind their genre/concept

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 10

Basically films with outstanding writing, acting and themes that are unknown and unrespected because of the genre they're in or the exterior appearance of the plot.

Orca is fucking amazing. Richard Harris as Captain Nolan is one of the greatest cinematic performances I've seen, the moral greyness of the entire story is really unique and interesting, there are no villains and no heroes, and the topics of both revenge and grief/mourning are handled exceptionally well.

But people just see it as a "Jaws ripoff".
>>
File: IMG_2128.jpg (28KB, 400x205px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2128.jpg
28KB, 400x205px
What did they mean by this?
>>
Oh dear.
>>
Joe Dirt.
>>
>>86202651
Christ THAT freaked me as a kid...
>>
Agreed about Orca, and I raise you this:

Southland Tales is the best impressionistic representation of both the Bush-era 00's, AND the book of revelations we will ever get on film.
>>
>>
>>86206702
Yeah.
Conan is my favorite religious movie too.
>>
Orca?

More like DORKA
>>
The Hunchback of Notre Dam is the greatest disney movie of all time and people remember it primarily for talking gargoyles and that motherfucker's stupid face.
>>
File: tmp_7779-51U_7JFtyhL603106182.jpg (53KB, 338x500px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_7779-51U_7JFtyhL603106182.jpg
53KB, 338x500px
>>86207842
That's a funny way to say Fantasia.
>>
File: La_sirene_mutante.jpg (33KB, 380x547px) Image search: [Google]
La_sirene_mutante.jpg
33KB, 380x547px
>>86202604
>>
>>86206702
The wikipedia article has no right in being as good as it is
>>
File: bvs.jpg (702KB, 1350x2000px) Image search: [Google]
bvs.jpg
702KB, 1350x2000px
>>
>>86202604
Love this movie.
>>
>>86202604
Get Out is kind of the inverse, because people like the ideas so much that they disrespect the genre and say shit like "you shouldnt reduce it by calling it a 'horror movie'".
Which is bullshit. Its a horror movie. Horror movies have always been about big ideas put into genre situations. Romero's living dead series was about politics, consumerism, all sorts of shit.
>>
Videodrome
>>
>>86210033
I love Videodrome but I'm not sure I'd call it unknown or without respect.
>>
Any hope of finding these on torrent somewhere?
>>
File: 1481011972239.png (415KB, 847x684px) Image search: [Google]
1481011972239.png
415KB, 847x684px
>Think the Orca growling/roaring is BS
>See this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWXIdfWrxHg
>>
Godzilla vs Hedorah mascarades as a silly mediocre children's film but is really the darkest of all Godzilla movies. Godzilla enters the film in a child's dream. Hedorah kicks his ass and causes brutal devastation throughout, seemingly unstoppable. The hippie good guys nonchalantly ignore the homeless only to be massacred. Godzilla only prevails when the film descends into the absurd and takes on a childlike quality, with completely impossible and goofy things happening in the fight. Godzilla then disappears in a similar fashion to his appearance, but this is meant to be reality and not a dream sequence. The movie uses Godzilla, a popular children's character at the time, to subvert the cliches of hopefulness and heroism and is actually about how our world is so beyond fucked (environmentally and otherwise) that it could only possibly be saved through the magic of a child's dream, which does not exist and is therefore pointless. The film gets a bad wrap and is horribly misunderstood, it's actually one of the most kino kaiju films ever made
>>
>>86202604
It IS just a stupid Jaws ripoff (done exactly for this reason aka lol ez bucks), very artistically empty.
You're retarded if you see any greatness in a dumb cornerbuster from the '70s
>>
>>86205370
Christ that freaked me out as an adult.

Forced Orca Abortion is no joke.
>>
>>86211666
Nice trips, also now that I know Orca's can get depressed it fucks me up every time I see those sad dorsal fins in movies like Free Willy.
>>
File: saw.jpg (51KB, 400x600px) Image search: [Google]
saw.jpg
51KB, 400x600px
>>
>>86212776
thought it had to do with the pressure of the ocean vs the pressure (how deep the pools are for the captive whales) in captivity.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.