[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So who was in the right here?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: my-dinner-with-andre.jpg (75KB, 786x442px) Image search: [Google]
my-dinner-with-andre.jpg
75KB, 786x442px
So who was in the right here?
>>
They were both wrong for different reasons.
>>
>>86157977
Andre was out of touch with reality but he wasn't exactly wrong about society needing to "wake up".

Wallace brought nothing to the table in terms of "enlightenment" but he wasn't wrong about everyone needing to be comfortable.
>>
>>86158085

That's a bit reductive don't you think?

Andre was obviously depressed, scared of death and fed up with societal norms but he agreed with Wallace on the importance of structure in ones life towards the end.

Wallace wasnt depressed and so could not even conceptualize Andre's ideas about total freedom and starting over (by his own admission) but he quite agreed with Andre that everyone was bored and that society was getting worse overall.
>>
>>86157977
the audience and the director
>>
>>86158235
I think Wallace's problem with Andre WAS that Andre wasn't living in the real world. Wallace believes that the theater exists to bring people a shocking dose of reality and making people aware of issues facing society. Andre was more focused on the supernatural, the spiritual, the intangible and Wallace couldn't get passed that.
>>
File: WhyBeautyMatters.jpg (7KB, 296x171px) Image search: [Google]
WhyBeautyMatters.jpg
7KB, 296x171px
>>86157977

People do need escape from modern society to relearn how to live.

The reason he does death rituals and eats sand is because he is still a product of modernism and lacks Transcendence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHw4MMEnmpc
>>
>>86158496

He did get it at the end. Rewatch the movie and see how Wallace's reactions to Andre's "supernatural" stories went from a smirk > to an outright outburst > to kind, understanding smiles towards the end.
>>
>>86157977
Have you ever heard of Plato, Aristotle, Socrates? Morons.
>>
>>86159701

I'm sorry, are you trying to communicate?
>>
>>86159435
I remember the change in Wallace's demeanor but there's also a change in Andre's demeanor too. The point of the movie is that even though they fundamentally disagree, they find the debate a reward in and of itself.
>>
>>86160000

I agree. And I wish they'd shown us how Wallace's life was affected after that dinner. I lie to think that Andre could finally go to sleep. And Wallace went on an adventure somewhere in Iceland or something but that would have been too predictable..
>>
Didn't Andre and Wallace both say in interviews that the point of the movie is that Andre is right and Wallace is wrong?
>>
>>86160114

Of course Andre is right.. anyone with half a brain would know that Wallace's existence is nothing to envy or aspire to. But Andre's was.
>>
File: Intellect.gif (995KB, 500x271px) Image search: [Google]
Intellect.gif
995KB, 500x271px
>>86159701
>>
the part where the waiter looks at Wallace disdainfully as Andre pays the check makes me a little uncomfortable just thinking about it.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.