[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

dark tower

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 12

File: dark tower.jpg (122KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
dark tower.jpg
122KB, 1280x720px
why are people angry about the dark tower movie?
>>
>>86143894
Cos /lit/fags love to lord it over movies based on books.
>>
>>86143894
>>86143999

It feels like an absolute failure, I don't mind Idris being Roland but it seriously fucks with the lore in some aspect and I understand this is meant to be some kind of quasi-sequel of sorts but it looks like the directors seriously didn't give a fuck about the original source and wanted the same money Marvel was making so they made it generic as fuck when a big draw of the franchise is supposed to be Mid World.

I'm honestly more pissed about how lazy Flagg's design is than anything else. Feels like some shit tier Loki wannabe.
>>
>>86143894
It was pretty good but 4chan users hate it because it has a black guy in the movie
>>
>black hero
>bookfags pissed off because it isn't like MUH BOOKS
It was actually pretty good if you aren't autistic enough to care about either of the points aforementioned.
>>
Whites' collective inferiority complex is getting triggered yet again by "muh movie with a black man in it"
>>
>>86144208
>>86144136

Sony still has enough money for you guys?
>>
>>86144136
>>86144208
>>86144292
I don't believe such a large percentage of blacks understand how to use computers
>>
>>86143894
*smacks lips*
>>
>>86144356
>pointing out objective facts makes you black
I don't have to be black to correctly notice the widespread victim complex whites show nowadays whenever they see anyone who isn't white in any form of media.
>>
>>86144136
>>86144292
isnt the rottentomato score bad too?
Honestly I made this thread because the black tower movie fell completly off my grid and realized just now that the movie is actually done and out.
And I was wondering if I should watch it
>>
>>86143894
Audiences were disappointed to learn that The Dark Tower isn't a reference to BBC.
>>
File: 1423531317245.jpg (103KB, 800x850px) Image search: [Google]
1423531317245.jpg
103KB, 800x850px
>>86144340
>>86144356
cry more nerds
>>
>>86143894

>why are people angry about the dark tower movie?

Bookfags are likely angry because it is seemingly as far from a decent interpretation as you can get.

Is anyone else angry though ? Only thing I've heard from people with no attachment to the books is that it was a crap movie, among an almost infinite amount of other crap movies.
>>
Nobody is angry. You shills wish people were angry to drum up some publicity for this shit film
>>
File: flop tower.png (83KB, 543x236px) Image search: [Google]
flop tower.png
83KB, 543x236px
>>86143894
People have to care to be angry

>>86144356
Yeah, they use iPhones instead
>>
>>86143894
Because it fucking sucks. Its an abomination. The makers of this film have forgotten the face of their fathers
>>
>>86143894
reddit fotm book got a shitty adaptation so the manchildren are throwing a tantrum
>>
>>86143894
If any of you are still wondering why all the die-hard, life-long fans of the Dark Tower books have a problem with the way this property and film has been handled.....think of it this way.

Go back to the year 1999 and you've just heard that Peter Jackson is going to be doing a multi-film, star-studded, big-budget, multi-Oscar worthy, live action 'Lord of the Rings' on the big screen. One epic film for each of the three books.

Hundreds of millions of fans over many decades are overjoyed and are already planning when to camp out in front of the movie theatre. They are salivating at the idea of eventually spending whole pay-checks on action figures, tattoos, cross country Comic-Cons, LOTR themed weddings, card games, board games, video games, cosplay, DVDs, lunch boxes, Halloween costumes for their kids, etc. It's going to be absolute LOTR fan 'heaven' for the next five years.

A life-long dream is coming true for every LOTR fan on the planet. Everything is right with the world.

But suddenly, after years of amazing LOTR movie news, in the background there have been so many problems, arguments, fired writers, multiple directors, delays, re-writes, 'money' people at all stages of the production coming in and going (etc), that the studio has lost almost all confidence. They have now only given Jackson a $60 million production budget instead of the ~$300 million he needed, with barely any cash set aside for marketing. Jackson has had to completely compromise his original vision and hack up the screenplay to something unrecognizable to himself, the author of the source material and the fans. It might as well be a music video version of the Lord of the Rings starring the Beatles and directed by Stanley Kubrick.
>>
>>86143894
IS it really that shit or is it only bookfags who hate it?

Haven't read books, so only interested if it's passable kino.
>>
>>86144861
Every scene where they recite the Oath is so fucking cringe
I'm a huge racist and Roland - Idris was totally fine, but the fucking worldbuilding was terrible. The Young Adult angle was terrible. Set Design was terrible. That house demon that attacks him was hilarious, MiB with the force powers was hilarious, everyone explaining the shine was hilarious

Basically 1/10 adaptation of the books, 5/10 comedy of the summer
>>
The made the story into shitty YA fiction. "Misunderstood artistic kid turns out to have LE SHINE and save the world!" I don't mind changes or simplifications but this is just dumb.
>>
>>86145007
They've now made it one, single film and a 'sequel' to LOTR....which is actually just a lame excuse for a significantly shortened 'retelling', pretending to be the central story on a shoe-string budget, so it at least 'resembles' a LOTR movie. But just barely enough to hopefully get away with it. As long as it has a Hobbit, a ring and a volcano in it, it's really all we need. Screw the rest.

The amazing series of LOTR films we were promised is now only one film and only 95 minutes long.....with completely the wrong film rating. Which includes ~10 minutes of credits. Making it only ~85 mins long. That's right, only 1 hour and 25 mins long. Less than an hour and a half to encapsulate the overall plot, spirit, depth and emotion of three of the world's most amazing fantasy novels. True genius. Sure to be a crowd pleaser.

And they've cast Aragorn as a Black TV actor because (while a truly great TV actor) he was far less expensive than other more qualified big-screen actors that would actually fit the character as originally written, and do the character and the story justice. Peter obviously needs to watch the wallet, but he's sure the fans will be fine with changing such a crucial part of the story without asking a single one of the fans for an opinion first (like most film-makers handling iconic properties would do). He obviously knows better than hundreds of millions of fans worldwide and knows better than the amazing source material that got him the job in the first place. Who cares about the fans, or indeed a key, crucial part of the source material that has a huge impact on all the books, right? It's only the Lord of the Rings after all. It's not like anyone cares or that it will limit anything in the future.
>>
>>86145081
They've also had to cut out key characters like Gandalf, Bilbo, Sam, Merry, Pippin, Gollum, Saruman, Grima, Galadriel, Celeborn, Theoden (and family), Treebeard, Elrond, Gimli, Legolas, Boromir, Faramir and Denethor ....and many others. They all fell victim to budget cuts and the compacted run-time. But don't worry, no one should miss them because they aren't part of our amazing 're-imagining' / 'sequel'. Hobbit+ring+volcano. Job jobbed.

(Nothing to see here......move along).

And Peter Jackson knows very well, that if this film flops (financially, critically or both), that the fans likely won't see a faithful adaption of the Lord of the Rings for another 10, 15 maybe 20 years. No one will dare touch this property until the stench of Peter's mess fades away. Many of the original fans from 1984 could be long gone by then. But hey, they're just responsible for the success of the franchise and the reason the film gets to be made in the first place. So really, who cares?

Regardless, Jackson still sells his soul for the quick cash and at the same time sells out the fans who believed in him. He sold out instead holding out, being patient and getting it done right, even though he's repeatedly claimed for years to be the most faithful LOTR fan that ever lived. Way to stay classy Pete. In Peter Jackson we trust.
>>
>>86145126
So they've skipped most of the content, characters and detailed plot of all three LOTR books and just mashed up a few iconic catch-phrases and 'scenes', kept a few character names, tied them together in a script, shot it in South Africa instead of New Zealand, added a bunch of stuff that was never in the books to begin with, used some poor CGI and called it (tongue-in-cheek) 'The Lord of the Rings'. They go from Bag End to Mount Doom ('and back again') in only three acts and an hour and a half. The magic of Hollywood and just not giving a fuck.

The new compacted plot in the 'sequel' is that they simply fly the 'One Ring' the whole way from Hobbiton to Mount Doom (and back) on Eagles, with a couple of pit stops, set pieces and action sequences along the way that those pesky 'fans' will recognize in the trailer. So they should still buy a ticket, hope for the best and be grateful they are getting a LOTR film at all. Why are they so upset? The studio is perplexed, because in their mind they and Peter Jackson are obviously doing the fans a favor by just getting out of bed in the morning at this stage. Fans are so needy sometimes.

Besides, they've cast ‘big-name’ Matthew McConaughey as their new and improved version of Sauron (that average film-goers, millennials and kids can better identify with). JRR Tolkien has risen from the grave, winked, given it two thumbs up and told them where to send his royalty check.
>>
>>86144837
>The dark tower
>The said tower is white in the poster
>>
>>86145167
So this 'sequel' should obviously be embraced with open arms by the many millions of fans who grew up loving the books over the past ~63 years. The film is still called 'The Lord of the Rings', so they should have nothing to be concerned with or complain about. Right? We know we've fucked the LOTR fans over, but they just need to get over it and get in line.

Oh, and on the microscopic chance this film goes well, we might get an ongoing Hobbit 'prequel' TV series based on this completely different 'retelling / sequel' where they'll milk a single book over a number of years for all it's worth for the advertising revenue and paid streaming / downloads. If they can squeeze the 'flavor' of three massive iconic books into only 85 minutes, it should be a piece of cake to stretch out a totally different version 'The Hobbit' across 7 or 8 seasons of television. Easy money. Just close your eyes, bend over, spread your cheeks, no lube, smile and think of the Shire. The studio and Peter Jackson are comin' in dry and deep.

So now....lifelong Tolkien fans worldwide are feeling violated without so much as a reach-around. They feel crushed, outraged and they die a little inside with every new lame excuse, disappointing announcement, sad press release, lackluster interview with the demotivated cast, badly Photoshopped poster and rushed trailer that gets shat out of this horror show. And Peter Jackson is now so far gone and out of touch, that he just can't understand why this is an issue. Or he does understand and just doesn't give a shit anymore.

"Fuck the source material, fuck my credibility, fuck my scruples, fuck the Oscars and fuck the fans. I've clearly never even read the books. Just pay me." - Peter Jackson
>>
>>86145220
THAT, is the Dark Tower film we are getting, and THAT's how badly this property has been treated and shamefully squandered.

NOTE: If any of that needs translation, that actually is the long history and more recent demise of the Dark Tower film. And for the purposes of this analogy : LOTR = The Dark Tower, Aragorn = Roland the Gunslinger, 3 LOTR Books = 7 Dark Tower Books, The Hobbit = Wizard and Glass, Tolkien = Stephen King, and Peter Jackson = Ron Howard.

And just in case any of the long time film-buffs out there haven't noticed, this Dark Tower 'sequel' for some unknown reason (instead of keeping the overall plot of the books or something that even resembles it), now has almost the exact same plot as the 1987 He-Man - Masters of the Universe film with Dolph Lundgren and [pre-Friends] Courtney Cox. And it's also almost identical to the plot of the Last Action Hero with Schwarzenegger from 1993.

Just done in a cheaply replicated 'Dark Tower style'.

If all of this doesn't make it clear for you how bad this is and why the life-long fans aren't happy with it, nothing will.
>>
>>86144415
>" don't have to be white to correctly notice the widespread victim complex blacks show nowadays whenever they see anyone who isn't black in any form of media"
There fixed it for you.
>>
Sony Pictures must be having death throes now, in april they posted a loss of $719 million on a year basis, and this summer has been a disaster, Spiderman Homecoming underperformed and is in line with Amazing Spiderman 2 which was so bad financially that Sony rebooted AGAIN, then we have bombs like Emoji and Dark Tower.

Sony Pictures is dragging Sony down, they have to dump it.
>>
File: 75v9769.png (350KB, 661x621px) Image search: [Google]
75v9769.png
350KB, 661x621px
>>86144415
Do Bollywood movies come under attack for not showing enough non-Indian actors? No.

Do Asian movies come under attack for not showing enough non-Asian actors? No.

Do Nollywood/African movies come under attack for not showing enough non-African actors? No.

Do Latin American movies come under attack for not showing enough Hispanic actors? No.

Do Hollywood and European movies come under attack for not showing enough non-White actors? YES.

Does entrenched anti-White racism exist in academia and industry? Yes, affirmative action is a racist cancer.

Blacks (and other minorities) are massively overrepresented and overpushed in Hollywood given their proportion of US (and wider Western) populations. But give them an inch, they'll demand a mile and organise a retarded hashtag campaign anyway.
>>
>>86145264
>>86145220
>>86145167
>>86145126
>>86145081
>>86145007

well written desu, made me sad
>>
>>86144208
Yeah, instead we get a butchered story that makes Snyder movies look good.
>>
>>86143894
Because rather than try to make a movie out of each book (like a normal franchise) they tried to shoehorn 5 books into one movie
>>
>>86145007

I hope The Book of the New Sun doesn't go down the same route.
>>
>>86145821
>Do Hollywood and European movies come under attack for not showing enough non-White actors? YES.
Hollywood is racially diverse itself.
America is only, what? 70% white.
>Blacks (and other minorities) are massively overrepresented and overpushed in Hollywood
I wasn't aware greater than 13% of all actors in all hollywood films were black.

Why do racists try to act like their racism is objective?
>;_; why are niggers in my media
(you)
>>
did they cut the black woman and that pet?
>>
>>86146470
it's a sequel so they don't even have to appear in this timeline (that is supposed to be the last)
>>
File: dark tower.jpg (29KB, 460x288px) Image search: [Google]
dark tower.jpg
29KB, 460x288px
oh
>>
>>86144136
Only 4chan "users"? Shill fucker

>>86144208
>aforementioned.
Shill fucker
>>
It was really fucking bland. The only few creepy things happen in the first minutes of the movie, and then it's shooting faceless mooks all day every day. If I wanted to watch a Marvel movie, I'd watch something else.
>>
File: Roland.jpg (168KB, 670x367px) Image search: [Google]
Roland.jpg
168KB, 670x367px
The only people who hate on this movie are literary autists and racists.

The Dark Tower was Stephen King Kino

Also there will be a TV miniseries too.
>>
>>86145007
So the Hobbit films?
>>
File: 1495535706457.png (349KB, 544x733px) Image search: [Google]
1495535706457.png
349KB, 544x733px
The only people that like this movie are autistic and haven't read the book.

The books were already bad and Stephen King is a bad writer that happens to have good ideas.

Of course the Reddit double spacing to get some pity (You)'s.
>>
>>86144132
It's like you've never seen a Stephen King book adapted into a movie before.

Have you even seen this one?
>>
>>86144136

>t. Kikey Shillowitzstein
>>
>>86145007
>>86145081
>>86145126
I'm a huge fan of the book series, and of Stephen King in general, and love discovering bits of his other books that tie back to the Dark Tower series.

I have none of the concerns and fucking massive searing butthurt that you have laid out in these posts. I'm looking forward to seeing this movie and I bet I will enjoy it.
>>
>>86146412
>I wasn't aware greater than 13% of all actors in all hollywood films were black.

They are.
>>
>>86150015
Can you provide evidence?
Also realize you have to include the past where while blacks are constantly ~10% of the population they weren't allowed in film at all.
>>
>>86143894
>the dark tower
Are they talking about his dick?
>>
Reminder that the conclusion to the Dark Tower series is black Roland mistaking hot dogs for actual dog meat. Cue laugh track
>>
>>86150169
No, they're talking about Gan which is basically God.
>>
File: BIG-BLACK-TOWER.gif (66KB, 427x320px) Image search: [Google]
BIG-BLACK-TOWER.gif
66KB, 427x320px
IS ME ROLANDO INCHAINZ DESCENDANT OF KANGZ ARTHURKWON OF THE SOUTH CENTRAL BARONIES

i never saved the pasta but by all means please continue on your own and we will pretend we're playing a fun game
>>
File: dude numbers lmao.jpg (12KB, 250x255px) Image search: [Google]
dude numbers lmao.jpg
12KB, 250x255px
>>86143999
>king
>/lit/
Waste of trips
>>
>>86145264
Never read the book. Can someone please explain what this awesome plot is, because reading a synopsis it just seems like a bunch of unrelated shit jumbled together with a dumb fourth wall breaking gimmick.
>>
>>86143894
Because Roland isn't a fucking NIGGER
>>
SONY made another shit movie?

I'm shocked. Really.
>>
>>86149363
>Also there will be a TV miniseries too.
Kek
Keep dreaming
>>
>>86149363
Why the fuck is one of his revolvers a cartridge conversion, and the other a SAA clone? Who the fuck did prop design?
>>
>>86143894

When the SJW critic crowd give a diversity hire film a bad score you know it's going to be complete shit
>>
>>86151685

How long until the Japaneses overlords unsheathe their Katana's and purge Sony Pictures?

I'd pay 100 times to watch Amy Pascal commit seppuku
>>
I really liked it, but it's an unfashionable kind of movie to make these days---the kind of epic fantasy movie you'd see in the 80s or 90s. Gods of Egypt flopped for similar reasons.
>>
>>86144415
Casting Idris as Roland is like casting Jack Black as Luke Cage, do you think a tubby ass white guy would have been a good pick for that role? Then why is some old black guy a good fit for what is essentially a stand in for 70's Clint Eastwood? It's fucking stupid.
>>
>>86151938
why does that bother you?
>>
>>86145076
The worst part about the house demon is it dies so suddenly that you have no idea what happens. Sony is so fucking cheap that they did the bare minimum with this film instead of having any ambition.
>>
>>86152408
A single-action revolver can't be rapid-fired.
>>
>>86152408
The guns of the Deschain family line are a fucking set. Not two randomly thrown together pistols. Get it right ffs
>>
>>86152669
oh right forgot about that
>>
File: gunscloseup.png (446KB, 1000x648px) Image search: [Google]
gunscloseup.png
446KB, 1000x648px
>>86152614
>>86152669
>>86152829
>look to be customized Remington 1858 revolvers that fire metallic cartridges from unfluted cylinders that have been modified to swing out like a modern revolver so they don't have to be loaded via a loading gate
they are a set
http://www.range365.com/guns-stephen-kings-dark-tower
>>
>>86153047
Ah, the pic i saw before i couldnt see the loading handle due to the smoke.
>>
>>86144356

You make a very niggerous point
>>
>>86143894
Read all but last 2 books (skipped by recommendation of trusted book fag)
Didn't mind the many changes. Sorta go the same feel as the book. Thought the three main leads did the characters well. Thought the film could definitely been written and directed better. Still, though ... not bad. 6.5/10

King writes well enough to keep you turning pages but he cannot hide what a pathetic cunt he is in his writing. This pollutes many of his books. First DT book is fairly OK then the next three are great. Starts dropping a bit after that and I hear hits bottom in final 2. Make a decent film outta that? sure.
>>
>>86154275
>skipped the end of the saga
for what fucking purpose
>King writes well enough
thanks for the laugh
>>
File: 1452235524609.jpg (73KB, 486x500px) Image search: [Google]
1452235524609.jpg
73KB, 486x500px
Thread posts: 74
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.