[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What the FUCK went wrong?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 5

File: IMG_0032.jpg (18KB, 182x268px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0032.jpg
18KB, 182x268px
What the FUCK went wrong?
>>
just when he thought he was out, they pulled him back in
>>
>>86119342
The ridiculous amount of time between the second and the third movie. Also the entirety of Sofia Coppola and her character
>>
Nothing, it's fucking great.
>>
Coppola not giving us the audio of Al Pacino's horrific scream at the end
>>
Simple. Francis needed the money from his previous project and took the studio up on their offer to fund a sequel.

Heart and creativity wasn't in it. Only the need to pay a debt
>>
No Tom Hagen
>>
the story was over at the end of part II and coppola only came back because he needed the money. it's a story about michael becoming irredeemable and losing everything when that already happened in part II.
>>
>>86119456
Honestly one of the most underrated movies of the past thirty years.

Great movie, mediocre Godfather movie
>>
File: rate the pain.jpg (5KB, 199x250px) Image search: [Google]
rate the pain.jpg
5KB, 199x250px
>>86119342
>not understanding true art
its a symbolism for Michael and the corleon familys reign, played out in real life so we, the viewers, can get an even better prespective on the tragedy
>first one is GOAT, little rocky in some areas but by the end it secures it (and the family and michael's) throne
>second is even better, the true reign of their power and also shows the roots of their power
>by the third, they are on the decline. All that they worked for is slowly rotting away and they have all become shells of their former selves. two endings with a dead dog (michales death scene and sofia coppola getting shot)

Francis ford coppla went the extra mile to truly show us art and and loss and let us experience it in real life and none of you fat dicks appreciate it
>>
It insist upon itself.
>>
>>86119589
This. The trajectory of the series was building up to Michael vs. Tom and no Robert Duvall prevented it from happening
>>
>>86119342
Sofia.
>>
>>86119589
I'm still surprised by this, there was no reason they couldn't bring him back especially when he was Michael's last threat by the end of Godfather II
>>
File: image.png (856KB, 845x617px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
856KB, 845x617px
>mfw I don't have my lucky coat
>>
>>86119925

duvall asked to be paid the same amount as pacino and paramount said no
>>
Women
>>
> Al Pacino acting like himself than Michael Corleone

> No Tom Hagen

> Sofia Coppola's acting

> Over convoluted plot with the Catholic Church and Immobiliare
>>
>>86120092
Cheap bastards
>>
File: Zasa_and_wiseguys.jpg (221KB, 1200x788px) Image search: [Google]
Zasa_and_wiseguys.jpg
221KB, 1200x788px
You know, I re-watched the trilogy just last year and Part III is not terrible, it's just that it is painfully average which makes it pale in comparison to the behemoth that I and II are.

The lack of Robert Duvall certainly hurts, and we all know about Sofia, but I really think Joe Mantegna is even more of a miscast, closely followed by Andy GarcĂ­a. Also, the production value is soooo cheap. Take a look at the festival scenes on Little Italy from the second movie and the look at the festival scenes from Part III: it looks like they filmed on a set from Seinfeld.

But worst of all is probably the story, it just tries too hard to make connections to the first two movies. "Remember this plot thread?! Remember those actors?! Remember this location?!"
>>
>>86120491
I always hated how they killed off Zaza so fast even after setting him up from the beginning as the big threat, like they tried to do the same story as the Turk without having a big cheese in charge of Zaza like the Turk had for the finale.
>>
File: godfather3-22.jpg (36KB, 700x400px) Image search: [Google]
godfather3-22.jpg
36KB, 700x400px
Was she suppose to be hot?
>>
Fails to advance anything. Michael ends up alone at the end of II to not be alone for a while in III and then die alone. It didn't set up or explore anything a superior film hadn't already done. It's supposed to be an epilogue, but it doesn't improve the previous entries where I and II complement each other as part of a character arc.
>>
>>86120679
I thought she was pretty cute tbqh

>>86120747
Pretty much this, it was kind of a pointless epilogue that just feels like Coppola trying to recapture some of his former glory after his reputation crashed in the 80's.
>>
JUST WHEN I THOUGHT I WAS OUT...

>>86119547
? explain
>>
>>86120144
>> Al Pacino acting like himself than Michael Corleone

Fucking THIS. He doesn't even fucking act in any way that I would expect an elderly Michael to act. For some reason he plays it as him almost becoming soft as he got older.
>>
>>86119591
>it's a story about michael becoming irredeemable and losing everything when that already happened in part II
You could say the same about the second movie in relation to the first.
>>
>>86120892
Coppola muted Michael's first scream (playing music over it) when Sofia Coppola dies because he said it was too traumatic or something.
It's never been released to the public.
>>
It was the movie no one wanted.

>Coppola made it because his studio was on the verge of bankruptcy
>If Pacino didn't accept his salary it would have started with Michael's funeral, imagine a Godfather without Michael!
>Duvall wanted more than a measly $1 Million, so Coppola wrote him out and they just say he's dead. Despite being a central character in the two films
>Sophia Coppola can't act and has a big Italian nose which is why she moved to directing

It was an abortion! Godfather 3 fucking sucks. If the two Godfathers are a testament to the greatness that Hollywood can achieve when all the parts are working together Part 3 is a testament to what happens when Hollywood is just driven by profits.

It should for be considered non-canon, it does nothing but sully the fantastic tragic ending of Part 2.
>>
>>86120949
He's probably biased cause it's his own daughter dying on screen.
>>
Oh my god, now you're pretending this horseshit is an "underrated gem." I fucking hate you, /tv/.
>>
>>86121280
i think it wasnt too bad. not as good as the first 2 but its a nice grim affair.
>>
>>86121632
Sofia was embarrassingly bad, there's nothing to debate here. She was also the protagonist somehow.
>>
>>86122084
Yeah she was bad but overall its still a 7/10 movie.
>>
>>86119342
Nothing, the other two films are shit too. If anything, Part III is slightly better, because Coppola has had the conceit beaten out of him by crushing grief and debt, is vulnerable enough to include his talentless daughter in a major dramatic role, and is using Pacino after he ceased being able to act.
>>
>>86121101
No, the first two are garbage as well, and were equally profit-driven - Hollywood moved to making those kinds of movies in the 70s because only college kids were still going to the movies.
>>
The Godfather and Part II are two of my favorite movies but in all my years I have yet to see not one minute of Part III.
>>
>>86120491
Here's why I think Part III redeems the trilogy - it's a cheap cash-in which was probably only made because it was easier to sell three-tape box-sets than two-tape. Coppola isn't a smart man, and all he knew how to do with privilege was flaunt it. His losing it perfectly parallels Michael's decline. It's fitting that the third film be diminished, it makes the trilogy almost honorable as cinema. Not great - it could never be more than middlebrow, but at least it isn't by a total unredeemed scumbag by Part III - it's by a heartbroken, burnt-out, pitiable scumbag.
>>
>>86124029
You're missing the best one.
>>
>>86120491
Can't take him serious as a mobster
>>
>>86120491
>>86124104

That's a thought actually, Godfather Part III is to the first two films what The Jungle Book 2 is to The Jungle Book. It exists to be on video, in a box with a bottle opener in the shape of Marlon Brando's hairline.
>>
>>86124029
what part III
>>
>>86124147
Why not? At least he's believable as a person who exists, unlike Pacino, who basically died in 1984 and has been this foul, eyeliner-wearing wreck of a cokehead hack ham ever since.
>>
>>86121280
It's the best one, COME AND SUCK MY DIIIIICK
>>
>>86119783
>I intentionally made it bad excuse
No
>>
>>86119342
Childhood is liking The Godfather
Adulthood is realizing The Conversation was better
Enlightenment is realizing that Apocalypse Now was the true GOAT
>>
Entire series is boring as fuck
>>
>>86124531
Childhood is watching Coppola because you've watched all the major Scorseses
Adulthood is realizing that artistic achievement doesn't come in generations
>>
It has some amazing scenes. I just really wish that Winona Ryder hadn't pulled out of the Mary role.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t50QSG-XKNA
>>
>>86124531
I love all 3 of those and Godfather Part II though, where does that put me? Picking a favorite would depend on my mood
>>
>>86124531
What if I prefer watching The Cotton Club to all of those, despite its problems (e.g. the second half being a highlights reel).
>>
>>86126294
The Cotton Club was okay, but not superior to any of those films, except probably the 3rd Godfather
>>
>>86120491
>Part III is not terrible, it's just that it is painfully average which makes it pale in comparison to the behemoth that I and II are.
First of all, part II is a great movie. And even with that being said, Part I is a much better movie than part II. So yeah, part III is actually a really good movie and the best part about it which I think is so important to the trilogy as a whole is that it really highlights the endless cycle of violence. I mean if you didn't have part III you might actually romanticize and glorify. But part III is where you get to see how much Michael loses and how much it all costs.
>>
>>86121101
>has a big Italian nose
Jew nose, you mean.
>>
Don't forget Diane Keaton's pointless presence in this movie (except to further sully Pacino's already-fucked characterization in the sequence in which he surprises her by playing chauffeur, complete with him impishly donning a chauffeur's hat -- WHO FUCKING THOUGHT THIS WAS A GOOD IDEA?!!)

It wasn't just that Duvall wasn't getting paid as much as Pacino -- it was that he wasn't being as offered as much as Keaton! And that Coppola seemed more interested in getting a recipe from him than from actually persuading him to be in the movie. A fucking stupid, tragic mistake that ruined this film from the start.

Also: Bridget Fonda's pointless character.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2S6eUFbOfIU

JUST
>>
>>86126352
I know that Cotton Club isn't up to the same level of filmmaking quality as Godfather, Conversation or Apocalypse, but it's the Coppola film that I've rewatched the most. I've found this with other directors too: I might admire their masterpieces but only watch them once, while some of their more haphazard movies are once that I love and keep coming back to.
>>
>>86126408
Fuck I even forgot she was in the film.
>>
>>86126506
Nah it's good. I also have that with Scorsese. I admit Goodfellas/Raging Bull/Taxi Driver might have better production value, but I always end up rewatching Mean Streets.
>>
>>86120679
Appolonia was the cutest girl in the series.
Thread posts: 60
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.