[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are there no good French Revolution movies? Pic unrelated.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

File: maxresdefault.jpg (50KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
50KB, 1280x720px
Why are there no good French Revolution movies? Pic unrelated.
>>
like french fries?
>>
Because it was a mess that killed thousands
>>
NOW POSTER 24601
YOUR THREAD IS DOWN AND YOUR BAN'S BEGUN
YOU KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS.
>>
"Drink with Me" from the 25th anniversary OST popped up on shuffle and the bluetooth interface wouldn't let me skip it without unlocking my phone so I panicked and changed it to the radio but it was to a right-wing talk radio station and Michael Savage was literally ranting about violent blacks (I pretend to be liberal). I turned the stereo off, rolled the window down and did not say another word for the remainder of the ride. This actually happened.
>>
jajvert
>>
>>86066815
Yes...it means I'm free to shitpost
>>
>>86066836
wew
>>
>>86066579
Les Miserables is about the Uprising of 1832, not the French revolution.

Did you even listen
>>
>>86066579
That actually is strange. The entire saga of the French Revolutionary Wars is so fucking fascinating, no matter where you choose to focus. We have still not gotten a big-budget Napoleon movie. Very odd.

>>86067654
He said pic UNRELATED you stupid cunt
>>
>>86066579
its a horrible, complicated, bloody mess without any good guys

doesn't translate to hollywood
>>
Marie Antoinette was good tho
>>
>>86067713
Yes, the character in the nineteenth century french military uniform singing about revolution clearly isn't remotely relevant or ambiguous
>>
>>86067292
NO
>>
>French Revolution went to shit 2 minutes in
>literally a murderfest possibly started by the marquis de Fuckin Sade himself
>not noble or heroic, just bloated and horrific

Could be cool as a terror piece, like 200-year old hotel Rwanda, but it's just not that intriguing for a film. Tale of two cities is the best way to include it in a piece, as the juxtaposition piece of terror and misguided vengeance
>>
Valjean.. at last we see each other plain. Mosouir le Mair you'll wear a different chain
>>
>>86066836
25th best case recording, fite me
>>
There a some good ones. But they're in French.
>>
>>86066579
AND I'M JOJVERT
>>
File: 337full-stanley-kubrick.jpg (24KB, 337x450px) Image search: [Google]
337full-stanley-kubrick.jpg
24KB, 337x450px
>>86066579
>After the success of 2001, Kubrick planned a large-scale biographical film about Napoleon Bonaparte.[3] He "tried to see every film that was ever made on the subject," including Abel Gance's Napoléon and the Soviet film series War and Peace, neither of which he liked.[4] He also conducted research, read books about the French emperor, and wrote a preliminary screenplay which has since become available on the internet. With the help of assistants, he meticulously created a card catalog of the places and deeds of Napoleon's inner circle during its operative years. Kubrick scouted locations, planning to film large portions of the film on location in France, in addition to the use of United Kingdom studios. The director was also going to film the battle scenes in Romania and had enlisted the support of the Romanian army; senior army officers had committed 40,000 soldiers and 10,000 cavalrymen to Kubrick's film for the paper costume battle scenes.

>In a conversation with the British Film Institute, Kubrick's brother-in-law Jan Harlan stated the film was set to enter production with David Hemmings as the title figure Napoleon (later, that role went to Jack Nicholson) and Audrey Hepburn as Kubrick's preference for the character Josephine. In notes that Kubrick wrote to his financial backers, preserved in the book The Kubrick Archives, Kubrick expresses uncertainty in regard to the progress of the Napoleon film and the final product; however, he also states that he expected to create "the best movie ever made."[5]

>Napoleon was eventually canceled due to the prohibitive cost of location filming, the Western release of Sergei Bondarchuk's epic film version of Leo Tolstoy's novel War and Peace (1968), and the commercial failure of Bondarchuk's Napoleon-themed film Waterloo (1970).
>>
>>86066579
Because there isn't a single person who could be cast as a hero. It was literally the whole world (of France) going mad.

Your best bet would be to cast it as someone trying to escape Paris when the heads start really rolling. But even then... where do you go? Its the French Revolution. Like an atomic bomb, there's nowhere to run.

You know, where America is headed.
>>
>>86068704
but he made Barry Lyndon instead
>>
>>86066703
Like ww2
>>
>>86066579

AND I'M JAVER

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEVago2PKn0
>>
>>86066579
But there is. It's called Start The Revolution Without Me.
>>
>>86068569

Nigga please. Philip Quast is the definitive Javert and secures the 10th as the better recording.

Listen to this and tell me the 25th is better.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=urxk4mveLCw

Top to bottom the 10th cast is preferable. Michael Ball as Marius, Quast as Javert, Lea Salonga as Eponine, etc.
>>
>>86071678
I hate Quast. I keep seeing him invoked as some Godlike figure, but I thought Russell Crowe was better. Quast is squirrelly and far too roguish.
>>
>>86066579
Danton. Brilliant movie.
>>
>>86069084
Which was shit.
>>
File: Robespierre_crop.jpg (18KB, 220x294px) Image search: [Google]
Robespierre_crop.jpg
18KB, 220x294px
>>86066656
They should have killed more.
>To punish the oppressors of humanity is clemency; to forgive them is cruelty
>>
>>86069026
>Because there isn't a single person who could be cast as a hero.

This is typical American idiocy. You don't need the central figures or protagonist to be a hero. Just someone who's likable. That said, the scope is rather large, so it would most likely need to be a TV series centered around the chaos and incessant backstabbing that happened, with former leaders of the revolution getting purged and getting sent to the guillotine, with shit like calendars being rewritten for the age of reason with year zero, etc. happening in the background.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.