[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why didn't he just make a horcrux and throw it in the ocean?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 105
Thread images: 7

File: IMG_5339.jpg (49KB, 469x332px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5339.jpg
49KB, 469x332px
Why didn't he just make a horcrux and throw it in the ocean?
>>
>>85996004
Why didn't they just try to kill him with a gun?
>>
Yeah you're right anon, Wizards would definitely have no way of getting to a horcrux under the ocean. What would they use? Magic? Haha, like that would ever happen am I right?

Retard
>>
>>85996004
isn't there some magic that could propel a small object to escape velocity? just send the horcrux into space
>>
why doesn't he wear a wig?
>>
Because J.K. would tell us 10 years later he was gay.
>>
The books explained it fairly well actually.

His pride and vanity led him to find/create stupendous locations and artifacts for the horcruxes.
>>
Ego
>>
>>85996100
can't he just put the gay part of him into a horcrux? like the gay part of his soul
>>
>>85996004
Why didn't he just make a horcrux out of a pickle?
>>
File: 1501710434999.jpg (548KB, 1616x2896px) Image search: [Google]
1501710434999.jpg
548KB, 1616x2896px
Why is Voldemort so dull in the Deathly Hallows? Seriously, Harry Potter is the dullest franchise in the history of movie franchises. Each episode following the boy wizard and his pals from Hogwarts Academy as they fight assorted villains has been indistinguishable from the others. Aside from the gloomy imagery, the seriesüf only consistency has been its lack of excitement and ineffective use of special effects, all to make magic unmagical, to make action seem inert.

Perhaps the die was cast when Rowling vetoed the idea of Spielberg directing the series; she made sure the series would never be mistaken for a work of art that meant anything to anybody?just ridiculously profitable cross-promotion for her books. The Harry Potter series might be anti-Christian (or not), but itüfs certainly the anti-James Bond series in its refusal of wonder, beauty and excitement. No one wants to face that fact. Now, thankfully, they no longer have to.

>a-at least the books are g-g-good though
"No!"
The writing is dreadful; the book was terrible. As I read, I noticed that every time a character went for a walk, the author wrote instead that the character "stretched his legs."

I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Rowling's mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that she has no other style of writing. Later I read a lavish, loving review of Harry Potter by the same Stephen King. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are reading Harry Potter at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to read Stephen King." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you read "Harry Potter" you are, in fact, trained to read Stephen King
>>
Why are mobile posters so fucking terrible at posting?
>>
>>85996051
but they had no way of knowing what was a horcrux and what wasnt, if he just used random rocks and hid them in the middle of nowhere he would have been immortal
>>
File: 1492548488706.jpg (13KB, 229x221px) Image search: [Google]
1492548488706.jpg
13KB, 229x221px
>>85996174
>>
>>85996193
What part of magic do you not understand? It can do anything. ANYTHING. Including discerning non-magical rocks from magical horcrux rocks. That's the point of magic, it warps reality.
>>
>>85996174
a daring synthesis
>>
>>85996100
no, he's a straight white male
>>
>>85996075

In that Methods of Rationality fanfic, Voldemort turns the Pioneer Plaque into one
>>
>>85996004
Why didn't the eagles just fly the ring to Mordor?
>>
>>85996031
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cZqRzHnI8s

Because Rowling is a Britbong and thinks guns are more evil than 10,000 Saurons.
>>
File: Dio_Brando.jpg (98KB, 351x440px) Image search: [Google]
Dio_Brando.jpg
98KB, 351x440px
Why didn't DIO just get a machine gun and shoot Jotaro in stopped time?
>>
>>85996184
>a brave new world low-tier
>atlas shrugged god-tier
?????????????????????????????
>>
>>85996131
>fairly well

Very well, I was surprised at how air-tight it was.
>>
>>85996004
I'm glad to not know what a horcrux is
>>
>>85996369
obviously not air tight as he managed to turn his nemesis into a horcrux
>>
File: 1435802742621.gif (2MB, 314x323px) Image search: [Google]
1435802742621.gif
2MB, 314x323px
>>85996353
is this a reddit reference?
>>
>>85996228
yeah, it can do anything
but when you have the entire world to search, and have absolutely no idea what to look for, you could have centuries to search and never find what you're looking for
using personal possessions or even worse famous artifacts increases the chance of discovery significantly
>>
>>85996004
>killed thousands of people
>didn't make thousands of horcruxes

what a mong lol
>>
>>85996184
This copypasta is really interesting because of how the replies autistically complaining about which tiers the books should and shouldn't be in have basically evolved into a sort of symbiotic component of the copypasta

Have we ever seen deliberate multi-post copypasta of this nature before?
>>
>>85996004

Why didn't he make the earth into a horcrux? Unless the death star showed up he'd be invincible.
>>
>>85996031

beacuse your enemies win if you kill them...
>>
>>85996347
Which is strange given how their wands can kill people in a dozen ways, to say nothing of other spells, potions, and warbling tubers.
>>
>>85996004
Why didn't they have smartphones or video games?
>>
>>85996714
>Cast the Horcrux spell on a stone
>hide it with the Fidelius Charm and make yourself the Secret-Keeper
>fly up high and throw it into space
The one danger is, does Voldemort need to reincorporate near his Horcrux the way a lich does? That would suck if he kept respawning in the solar system lol
>>
>>85997148
most magic stuff doesn't appear to work on horcruxes, so i doubt the charm would work
>>
>>85996004
Why was he even a threat? 2-3 high tier wizards should've been able to kill him easily.
>>
File: 1425683125315.png (54KB, 201x178px) Image search: [Google]
1425683125315.png
54KB, 201x178px
>>85996131
>His pride and vanity led him to
>>
>>85997344
I don't know, it's even made clear in 5 that Dumbledore is a better dueler
>>
>>85996004
I always thought he had to refresh them
>>
>>85997141
Spells are only available to a privileged academic elite. In theory anyone can use a gun.
>>
>>85996004
Because Elrond already threw the Ring into the Ocean. That would be too evil for a sea.
>>
>>85997344
He solos 3 high tier wizards (Kingsley, Mcgonagall, and Slughorn) in the last book.
>>
>>85996004
what if he later wanted to kill himself? or needed them for something?
>>
>>85997530
>Slughorn goes from being too afraid to even walk around in public to taking on Voldemort in combat

What a turnaround
>>
>>85997530
>we never saw that or any of the other cool shit that took place in the final battle in the movie
I'm so frustrated about this. It's like not showing the army of ghosts attacking in Return of the King movie.
>>
>>85997589
Voldemort's name means "flight from death" in French. A huge motivator for him was immortality. He wouldn't want to kill himself. Dumbass.
>>
>>85997530
Didn't read the last book. Was it 3v1 or 1v1, 1v1, 1v1? Even then a few more wizards fighting at once should've been enough. Hell, have an army of wizards go after him. I just don't buy that Dumbledore could solo him and a child could at least hold his own for a while yet no one else can do anything to him.
>>
>>85997830
>tfw we never get to see his true power level

Thanks Jo
>>
>>85997939
you're a little too angry for someone who doesn't realize that people change, especially immortal ones after millions of years living
>>
>>85996004
because hes an autist whos way too into symbolism
>>
>>85997414
dumbledore has the elder wand plus experience, plus voldy fears him so hes always at a disadvantage. grindlewald would have shreked woldemort
>>
>>85996297
>straight

costanza.jpg
>>
Why did Voldemort have to kill a baby with a fucking strong-ass magic spell anyway? It's a baby, not a grizzly bear. Just do anything to it and it's going to die
>>
>>85998056
It was 3v1.
>>
>>85999700
Because he's an egomaniac with delusions of grandeur who has to do everything as dramatically as possible.
>>
>>85999516
>grindlewald would have shreked woldemort

That is by far my biggest pet peeve of the later movies. They fucking ruined any point of Grindlewald by having him just tell Voldemort what he wants to know instead of laughing in his face and accepting death. Instead of a dark lord who's not afraid like Voldemort there's just this old guy in a cell who tells him what he wants to know for no reason except maybe fear.
>>
>>85996051
Horcruxes are immune to summoning or tracking charms for plot convenience
You'd have to know what you're looking for and where to find it and their instantaneous teleportation only works for places you've been to or can visualize clearly
>>
>I have the only person who can stop me trapped without his wand and ready to be killed, in front of me
>I know, I'll set him free, give him his wand and duel him to humillate his faggot ass
>he somewhat escapes

This was the moment my young and naive teenager mind thought "this is fucking bullshit, what a fucking hack this woman is."
>>
>>86000870
>This was the moment my young and naive teenager mind thought "this is fucking bullshit, what a fucking hack this woman is."
well at least it didn't take you until the next book when Ron and Hermione get their shit going on like it happened to most people that realized JKR was a hack
>>
>>86000870
Realistically Voldemort would have humiliated him and he would have died, which would be important for dispelling the Potter myth in front of his followers. Unfortunately, he's saved by a Deus ex Machina so it doesn't matter.
>>
>>86000870
Dude, Voldemort was too prideful. That was even more pride on the line than the time he tried to infiltrate the school by staying hidden inside the turban of a teacher
>>
>>86000395
too bad rowling just made him a plot processor instead of something real
>>
>>86000870
>rule over your followers entirely by them fearing your power
>get your shit pushed in trying to kill a baby years ago, finally come back to life
>"Yeah let's just kill this kid in weak way that makes me look like I'm still afraid of him, right in front of my followers that already have reasons to suspect I'm weak"

How does it feel to be worse at understanding character motivations than Jo "The Hack" Rowling?
>>
>>85996184
Keep crying, JK Rowling is a billionaire at this point.
>>
>>86001467
that's still retarded, if any of the death eaters doubts him he can just whack them to set an example, not like he didn't rule them by fear anyways
>>
>>86001467
His followers were fucking terrified of him
>>
>>85996353

please leave, Reddit.
>>
Doesn't the horcrux need to be retrievable for someone to bring you back from the dead?
>>
>>85996353
[London, with no gun quickly reachable]
>>
>>85997830
Hagrid really got the shaft in the movies when in the book's he was tanking spells and throwing people around one handed
>>
>>85996004
How would he get the horcrux out of Harry?
>>
>>85997366
If he was really proud and vane wouldn't he just not make the horcruxes at all because he would have been sure of himself that he would not dieded ever
>>
>>85996476
>>86002159
>insulting the only good post in a thread of harry plebber
I bet you watch got as well you fucking dips
>>
>>86002445
>that one scene where everyone is holding up their wands after Dumbledore's death
>Hagrid doesn't hold up his umbrella

could've made that scene so much better
>>
>>85999322
>he's an expert in things that have never, ever happened
>>
>>86002773
Voldemort I know you think it's a good idea now but I'm telling you, you're gonna get sick of it and wish you had never thrown it into the ocean
>>
>>86002737
hagrids a great character who should have been used way more. he should have been a bumbling obi wan type who harry can confide in and ask questions. the answers may not be the best but harry should be able to take something from them
>>
I don't get why Rowling didn't just say that Horcruxes had to have some deep personal connection to house a soul. It would have taken one line.
>>
>>85996077
Nice 77
>>85996100
Nice 00
>>86002633
Nice 33
>>85999700
Nice 00
>>85999322
Nice 22
>>85997366
Nice 66
>>85997344
Nice 44
>>85997000
Nice 000
>>
>>86002925
I think she was going for the whole "pride before a fall" thing with Voldemort. He's a talented wizard who could have killed Harry easy but he's so full of himself and so obsessed with being the best he screws himself over multiple times
>>
>>85997094
Top kek. Oh fuck... I'm crying! This is correct though. That's why Jesus never killed romans.
>>
Why don't anyone dual wield wands?
>>
>>85996004
If you just went the "portkey" route, yeah, it makes more sense.

They talk about it in the books though, and some other things are implied.

1) Voldemort is a trophy hunter. It's part of his mania. He couldn't bear to have his soul in anything less than an object of great value. Nagini was a desperation move, but even then he thought it tied him to his ancestor Slytherin and "enhanced his mystique"

2) No magic lasts forever. Voldemort was planning to not only use his horcruxes to never fall in battle (the normal use of them, anyone just into immortality had other routes) but also for immortality. He used a shit ton of other dark magic on himself, and was planning on the long game. Horcruxes are not naturally unsummonable/near-invincible. You have to (per the book) buff the shit out of them with spells. If he was planning on creating a 1000 year reich, he'd need to know where they are so he can reapply the spells so his soul doesn't one day get destroyed when rocks shift onto it in the ocean or some shit

3) Voldemort also wanted the locations of each one to be shrines to himself. To his actions. To his ability.

So in short? Yeah, he could have turned his soul pieces into rocket parts and sent them into deep space. But he was a deeply flawed (but consistently written flawed) character who lacked any empathy. He was basically evil autismo. He couldn't truly understand the pain or motivations of others. He was so engrossed with himself that this was the path he set out for himself. If you want to read a story with convoluted plans and impossibly thought out and mary sue characters, read methods of rationality
>>
>>86003516
Why didn't anyone stick a wand in their arse and triwield wands
fuck I'm a genius
>>
>>86003724
Why didn't anyone use a spell to turn their feet into hands and quadwield wands? You would be unstoppable even if you were just sitting on your ass unable to move.
>>
>>85996193
Dumbledore mentions he's too vain and would end up putting his soul into precious items.
>>
>>86003516
Wands work like capacitors.

If a muggle picks a "previously charged" wand up, it knocks them silly. If a wizard picks a primed wand up from another wizard, they get a few spells of extra kick (like Harry with his triple stunner in book 7 at the malfoys).

However, if you are just using 2 constantly, you are spreading your charge. You wouldn't have twice as strong magic. The wizard is channeling their juice through the wands, so you'd just be spreading your power. I'd rather concentrate it.

They even talk about how any wizard who isn't shit (most of them in the series) doesn't even need a wand. It's just a lens/capacitor for their ability. The Elder wand just so happened to be a 400x microscope while the others in the series were "child science kit" magnifying glasses.
>>
Did Bella really fuck him?
I mean, by description he is fucking disgusting, snake like, etc...
>>
>>86004031
Trust me, there's always someone that's into it.
>>
>>86003978
You could at least use one wand for offensive spells and one wand for defensive spells. Being able to attack and defend at the same time would be useful.
>>
the horcruxes had to be something he had emotional attachment to, it couldn't just be a grain of sand in the ocean
>>
>>86003939
>>86003677
This. Voldemort was a magic level of stupid that both allowed him to almost succeed, but doomed him from the start.

No one in their right mind would think they could singlehandedly take over the world. Voldemort didn't really have followers... he just kinda popped himself into a social movement he didn't give a shit about (seriously, if the death eaters were Nazis, Voldemort would have been what Hitler as a Jew would have looked like). Without the Death Eaters he would have gone nowhere.

He was this super powerful idiot who kept winning battles for them, but never actually shoring up his wins. He left them to actually rule in his stead. He was so into collecting trophies and stroking his own ego that he didn't even really show up in the 7th book until he had already almost lost.

He put such an emphasis on appearance/his own legacy/prophecy that he created pretty much the only scenario where he could lose.
>>
>>86004313
So throw the fucking necklace in the ocean then you moron
>>
>>86004218
They'd be shooting out half as strong spells though, and magic requires focus.

Trying to simulcast with two wands would just give you shitty spells with less coverage. You'd be better off focusing with one wand, and developing spells that are both offensive and defensive (like in the duel with dumbledore and voldy)

Their's was the only duel that actually was fully MAGIC, rather than slow moving jets of light being shot back and forth. There's a reason why JKR said that most wizards would lose to a random muggle with a gun.
>>
>>86004481
see
>>86003677
>>
>>86004962
What if you combined one wand to the other from end to end to make one long wand? Channel one wand into the other like putting one magnifying glass in front of another?
>>
>>86005561
tie them in a bundle like a fasces...whoa its symbolism or something?
>>
>>86001969
>>86002090

Thing is he saw that only a few came to his call, so even if the ones that came were affraid, his position was at risk. To install fear again, he would need to go whack every single traitor and lose precious time on his other plans. Stupid as it was, he needed to make Harry an example.
>>
>>86005561
The magnifying glass bit was a metaphor.

In universe, some people see long wands as desirable, but it doesn't have that big of an impact. Mostly it's kinda like horoscope shit (long wands are more often tied to success, etc.)

Not even making that up.
>>
>>86005987
Only wandlets think that's superstition.
>>
>>86005987
Are there any pirate wizards that use their wand as a peg leg?
>>
>>85996004
not that thoughtful, I guess
>>
>>86006420
>tfw you think you are a big man but then hermione granger whips out her six foot long magic staff
>>
>>86006466
No pirates, but it was a scottish tradition to do such

>Ya limp wanded,
>toad transfiguring
>hag lovin'
>pixie chasin'
>dragon dung filled sack tryin' to pass imself off as a wizard
>>
>>85996720
Creating even 7 like nearly ripped apart his mind and made the whole thing unstable or w.e Dumbledore was explaining that in the afterlife sequence near the end.
Thread posts: 105
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.