[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What makes a film iconic?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_0358.jpg (637KB, 1330x748px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0358.jpg
637KB, 1330x748px
What makes a film iconic?
>>
I can't really point it out.

I just know that if a film is remembered 20 years after its release, you can say it made a cultural impact on the world and that makes it iconic.
>>
Love and care, perfect line delivery, great shot compensation.

Darth Vader's "I am your father" line is iconic because James Earl Jones said it perfectly and probably would never be able to replicate it.
>>
>>85953840
All the plebs on /tv/ circle jerk over it
>>
>>85954140
>Darth Vader's "I am your father"
Fuck off, fanboy. We're talking good movies here. All these faggots know about cinema is the same famous and normie sagas crap. Jesus fuckin christ...
>>
>>85954140
Bait or dumb
>>
>>85953840
At least one scene that is memorable.
>>
File: image.jpg (51KB, 710x473px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
51KB, 710x473px
Michael Fassbender
>>
>>85953840

Compelling storytelling and/or characters that speak to something innate in the audience. That's all.
>>
>>85954211
>>85954312

Definitely not your A game, anons.
>>
>>85954405
This. It doesn't even have to be flawless, just resonating
>>
Making a movie that is so good that nothing made after it really did what it did better.
>>
>>85954403
oh yes for decades to come, everyone in the world will be remembering Assassins Creed
>>
MEME MAGIC
>>
>>85953840

Being the first to deliver a new idea / vibe
Being in alignment with the zeitgeist of that time
Great costumes
An organic feeling
Practical Efx
Actually connecting primally / emotionally to the audience
>>
>>85953840
A really good score is one of the biggest contributing factors. It can be done without it, but it's a rare exception.

Childs is a thing btw.
>>
>>85954405
You're describing good, not iconic. Iconic just means it's really well known for a long time.
>>
>>85954782

So, a good movie that's gotten old.
>>
>>85954809
Sort of. More like a good movie that people know and celebrate for an extended period of time.
>>
>>85954647
Well for the game series it is true.
>>
It being popular. That's actually it.

"I'll be back" is not memorable or iconic or remarkable in any way, but it is considered iconic because moviegoers repeated it.

"I AM your father" is also not iconic, etc, etc.

The Thing was bashed by critics and audiences alike for it's shittiness when it came out, now it's "cult".

Basically, circlejerk makes a movie iconic.
>>
Different for each film
>>
>>85954965
So what actually is iconic then?
>>
>>85954965
A lot of unpopular movies on criterion are iconic though your point doesn't hold for all movies
>>
>>85954742
this, I can't think on a better response
>>
File: 5f7.jpg (38KB, 680x680px) Image search: [Google]
5f7.jpg
38KB, 680x680px
>>85953840
Them straight up dank memes.
If those movies have some freshass dank memes, the film will be iconic forever.
You know those old gayass Black and White movies?
No?
Exactly, because it was shit and there were no memes dropped.
>>
>>85953840

It's influence on future movies
>>
>>85954889

Word of mouth continuing to sell a story well beyond its novelty then...for whatever the reason.
>>
>>85953840
The first step is to make it 20 years ago.
>>
>>85953840

If the film could fuck my wife better than I can.
>>
>>85953840
Waiting for a little while and see what happens.
>>
>>85953840
Kurt Russel
>>
>>85954965
There are things that are popular in the moment but forgot soon after, like avatar.
>>
>>85953840
Iconography. Usually the images tap into something true about human experience, the best images are mythic in some respect either consciously or unconsciously.
>>
>>85954211
I mean tbqh we're on a board that'll likely reply to this thread with posts about BvS and Snyder so the bar isn't set that high anyways
>>
File: THINGS.png (501KB, 663x476px) Image search: [Google]
THINGS.png
501KB, 663x476px
>>85953840
They either get called "watershed" movies, or get their rightful following over the next 30 years
>>
>>85954965
Well you're not wrong, iconic literally just means popular, or something that has retained popularity over a long period of time and had an impact right? So you haven't gotten any closer to answering the question as to why or how that happens, now have you?
>>
Even though it's anime, grave of the fireflies made me cry and holds up 20 years after I first saw it, I'd say if a movie can do that it can be iconic
>>
>>85953840
just one memoral scene is enough, if it doesnt have that, then the general vibe can be enough. if people enjoyed a movie, they will mainly remember the good stuff about it, not so much parts that were too streched out, delivered weidy or tonally awkward..
seeing how mainly the god stuff sticks with you, you gottta make sure that it's very good and it may become iconic. it also has to have a relativley large target group, maybe even an entire generation
>>
>>85956765
Leave weabu
>>
>>85955050

Thanks senpai
>>
>>85954140
But he DIDN'T say it perfectly, Jones completely fucked up the emphasis and showed he had no understanding of the plot or the dialogue he was reading.

>Luke "He told me enough, he told me YOU killed him"
>Vader "No, ..I.. am your father"

The emphasis should have been I ..AM.. your father, not ..I.. am your father.
>>
>>85953840
So, why didn't they squirt little amount of theirs blood in fire at the end?
>>
Any Tarantino movie
>>
>>85960309
Didn't have the proper equipment, blasting fire at the blood would have just destroyed the cells instead of making them go into panic mode
>>
>>85954140
I have no idea why Star Wars is popular. Light sabers are cool and all but the series is just boring.
>>
>>85958695
Why should it be am and not I?
>>
>>85955083
The Meme Movie when
>>
It has to really make you think!
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.