[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I into film?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: 41eZCdmVg6L.jpg (22KB, 339x500px) Image search: [Google]
41eZCdmVg6L.jpg
22KB, 339x500px
/tv/ I want you guys to help me understand film as a medium.
Over the last few years my only exposure to a more academic or in-depth look at movies has been through video essays and while I find that stuff interesting and fun I want to be able to pull those observarions and conclusions on my own.
I read a bit of this book after picking it up from the library on a whim, but it felt like I was getting ahead of myself.

What are some recommended films, shows, documentaries, books, youtube channels or other materials that are good for learning about the medium?
>>
>>85847068
I have the exact same thoughts about this as you
>>
just be yourself
>>
>>85848255
This, OP. You have to learn to just bee yourself. Movies like guys with confidence, if the film sees that you are comfortable in your own skin, it will naturally respond to that and be attracted to it.
>>
>>85848255
I can kinda get what you saying if you mean that the best way to learn about film is to approach interpreting them based on what you personally find in them, but it's hard to do that without an understanding of the basic mechanics needed to interpret this stuff.
Things like different kinds of shots, movements and other visual tricks and how or why they're used.
>>
That's hard to explain, OP, but I was in your boat too. I say, watch as many fucking movies as you can. Go through Letterboxd films by year and just pick out a bunch of stuff. Don't bother with IMDB or Chris Stuckmann lists, make up your own tastes. Watch a bunch of stuff and discover your own tastes. Do you like slow horror? Do you like foreign action? And then start to understand what makes one good and bad. It's not something you can just learned overnight. It's a life long process. But start now while you're, supposedly, young. Good luck.
>>
>>85849543
pretty much this, when i initially started taking film more seriously, all i did and have done is watch films, one or two a day, every day, even after a year or 2 the knowledge gained may be pretty surface level but i feel much more confident with my taste, opinions, ability to point out faults and take note of positives. hopefully this is a good platform to build more knowledge from
>>
>>85849543
>>85849734
Thanks, it really helps.
I've actually been doing this over the past month and just downloaded a bunch of stuff I thought was interesting.
Aliens is my favorite film so I've been using that as a guide while branching out into other stuff I get recommended.
>>
>>85849543
>IMDB or Chris Stuckmann lists
>Stuckmann
wtf
>>
>>85847068
>help me to understand film

This is autism
>>
>>85849543
>>85849734
You will never learn anything about theory from merely watching. You may get some taste, but nothing more that hasn't already been debated for a century.

>>85847068
Watch and study this man's work. Everything you need to know.
>>
>>85850783
he's talking about films, not sunplays
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.