[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How did this shit get a 200 million budget

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 5

File: VALERIAN.png (124KB, 299x481px) Image search: [Google]
VALERIAN.png
124KB, 299x481px
How did this shit get a 200 million budget
>>
>>85824629
I have always suspected that these movies don't really cost 200 million to make and they just make up the costs as they go as part of a larger money laundering operation.
>>
Because europeans cant into movies
>>
>>85824629
Because people know Besson will deliver visionary cinema.
>>
>>85824629
am i the only one who liked this movie
>>
>>85824629
Europe wanted their first franchise
>>
Government subsidies.
>>
>>85829854

This.

In Yurop we love burning money in cinema that no one, and I repeat, no one gonna watch. Ever.
>>
>>85829811
I enjoyed it. Shitty marketing killed it though.
>>
European Sony?
>>
>>85829811
No you're not. It's actually very good, and so far, it did as well as the 5th Element, which says a lot. But it just can't work in the US.

To be successful in the US, a movie needs
>famous and popular 10/10 leads
>typical linear storyline with muh ending twist
>vague ending that only serves to introduce a sequel
>American humor and tropes

Sadly, Valerian has
>not so famous, not popular <10/10 leads
>unusual series of complex individual sequences that each pack more content than an entire American movie plot
>actual ending to the story
>European humor and tropes

Capeshit is all they deserve.
>>
Because ol Luc took a relatively small budget for Lucy and made a massive return on the movie. Strange as it seems all movie studios eventually want to make money.

The only thing wrong with the movie was the pacing and the gal's dumb speech at the end about love over law
>>
>>85830236
This.

Though to answer, OP, it cleverly used tax credits and all sorts to knock 50 mil off the budget from the get-go.
>>
>>85829811
Nope.
>>
>>85829811
Nope. Saw it in Paris. Three screens. All three of them were full.
>>
>>85824629
Honestly.

The worst part is is the Lead guy.

His acting feels almost shatneresque at times.

But less charming, and more drunk off your ass while filming kind of way.

Aside from that though, it was pretty damn good.

And holy fuck, never thought cara was hot until this movie.

FUCK
>>
>>85831086
Didn't mind Dane but Rhianna was terrible. I really don't think that Chris Brown did anything wrong anymore.
>>
>>85829854
Besson works without subsidies though.
It is one of the reasons he's among the few French directors to actually make entertaining films, instead of arty shit nobody watches.
>>
>>85831086
Worst part was the music.

It is the same annoying little fiddle you hear in Spielberg movies or shit like "Journey to the center of the Earth" (that one with the blue birds). Which gives the impression that "Valerian" is a movie for kids when it's not.
>>
>>85824629

The visuals are ridiculously beautiful
>>
>>85824629

i am not going to watch it with my family until i saw the pirate version of it. if not then fuck it.
>>
>>85833375

let me quess you saw that 7 minutes loop shit on torrent webistes?
>>
>>85830236
casting Chris Pratt and Jen Lawrence would've been better?
>>
Cara is ugly and uncrossimatic
>>
>>85833707
Why are you making a false dichotomy? I don't agree with the anon who thinks Cara isn't 10/10, but your reply is lazy. Up your game.
>>
File: giphy.gif (908KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
908KB, 500x281px
>>85833333
>checked
>>
File: 1448815137347.jpg (56KB, 960x480px) Image search: [Google]
1448815137347.jpg
56KB, 960x480px
>>85824629
>most expensive french film ever made
>fails financially and critically
>>
>>85833707
If you're going to cast no-names like [heroin-addict] and [daddy's-money], at least cast no-names that have talent and fit the role.

De'Haan cannot act, at all. He's short and skinny and it's hilarious to think his baggy eyed body is that of a decorated combat veteran. Never mind the bad attempt at making his voice sound deeper.
Delevingne is awful in pretty much every way. Those two minutes where she's trying to call up Valerian over the radio feels an hour long, she just keeps repeating the name the same way again and again and again.
>>
>>85829811
Yes, and the anons who shill it are delusional
>>
File: IMG_0651.jpg (39KB, 396x382px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0651.jpg
39KB, 396x382px
>>85831086
>obvious reddit spacing
>>
>>85826055
what do you think art is all about? Made up prices to move dirty money around. That includes movies
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.