[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Stephen King Movies

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 137
Thread images: 17

What is the best Stephen King adaption of all time, TV or Theatrical?

The worst?
>>
MAXIMUM OVERDRIVE
>>
The Dead Zone is my favorite, but I really love Creepshow.
>>
>>85806104
Currently watching it right now. It's shit.
>>
>>85806067
The Mist or The Shawshank Redemption are the best ones.

That Desperation TV-Miniseries was probably the worst.

inb4 some redditor absolutely HAS to say The Shining is the best adaptation
>>
>>85806339
Everyone knows the one with that guy from Cheers is the true shining flick.
>>
>>85806478
Holy fuck, I can't believe I completely forgot about that miniseries. It was so bad I must've repressed it. That's definitely the worst adaptation though, especially when you consider how faithful to the book it was yet it still managed to just be so laughably bad.
>>
>>85806234
You don't say! What a new and unexpected opinion!
>>
File: Sleepy-Hollow-2.jpg (44KB, 950x534px) Image search: [Google]
Sleepy-Hollow-2.jpg
44KB, 950x534px
>>
>>85806798
not that guy but literally kys
>>
>>85806067
Best: Shining

If you say Shawshank then I really can't argue with that.

Worst:

Children of the Corn is fucking terrible. Bonus points for having terrible sequels.
>>
>>85806925
What was that movie in the early 90s late 80s that was kind of like CotK but with Kirsti Allie and all the kids had white eyes on the cover?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaILamlcOqw
>>
>>85806925
THE SHINING MOVIE ADAPTATION SUCKED

Fuck this bandwaggon shit. It was shit and the book was so much better.
>>
>>85807159
I liked that. Based Balki loses his shit and stabs a little blind girl, 10/10.
>>
>>85807159
I remember seeing this on TV as a kid and being baffled at how godawful those special effects were when you finally see the monsters. They were bad even for 1995 standards.
>>
File: Creepshow-3.jpg (67KB, 736x414px) Image search: [Google]
Creepshow-3.jpg
67KB, 736x414px
I don't know about "best," but Creepshow is my favorite. For me, this nails the tone of what horror movies should be. It's unpretentious and fun, but genuinely spooky in the right moments. Saw it for the first time when I as like 6 or 7 and it scared the shit out of me

He's written some genuine classics too - I love Stand By Me, The Green Mile, Misery, Carrie, Christine and Pet Sematary. And Shawshank and The Shining too, but they're too "obvious" and I want to be cool

Worst I've seen was Dreamcatcher. There are probably worse ones out there, but Dreamcatcher was a botched job. One of those movies that manages to be batshit insane and incoherent, but somehow dull and completely forgettable at the same time
>>
I like Stephen King's Rose Red and Cat Eyes, the first one is okay and the second one is a anthology movie where 2 stories are really good.

Also want to recommend Terror Tract (200) if you haven't seen it.
>A real estate agent terrifies a couple with the grim fates of the previous owners of a house they're looking at.
>>
File: village-of-the-damned.18307.jpg (247KB, 1000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
village-of-the-damned.18307.jpg
247KB, 1000x1500px
>>85807093
>>
File: the-night-flier-richard-dees[1].jpg (15KB, 451x230px) Image search: [Google]
the-night-flier-richard-dees[1].jpg
15KB, 451x230px
>>85807258
I don't know, I think it adds to the creepiness.

Night flier is also not bad, got based Miguel.
>>
Misery
shawshank redemption
green mile
>>
>>85807354
The only other thing I remember is that the sandwiches tasted like cardboard.
>>
Needful Things
Storm of The Century
>>
>>85806067
Carrie, it's one of the few that's both a great movie and faithful adaptation
>>
no love for IT ?

fucking hell, that movie hasnt aged well but Tim Curry's performance transcends its cheap budget and obvious made for TV trappings, as well as having some genuinely unnerving and memorable scenes.
>>
>>85807170
stanley kubrick's the shining is one of the greatest horror films of all time
stephen king's the shining is a middling work by a hack author
>>
>>85807268
I couldn't hate the Dreamcatcher movie, as bad as it was, but I realize that's just because I have a soft spot for the book. I know a lot of people hate the book too, but I thought it was perfectly cheesy horror in an extremely comfy setting. Also the book just clipped along at a really brisk pace and made it way more palatable than the movie, imo.
>>
>>85807413
>stanley kubrick's the shining is one of the greatest horror films of all time
It really really isn't and I'm getting sick of people pretending that it is.
>>
>>85807454
ok
>>
>>85807170
Nah man, Shining is a great movie.
>>
File: toomy.jpg (8KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
toomy.jpg
8KB, 480x360px
SCARING THE LITTLE GIRL?!
>>
>>85807405
>Tim Curry's performance

Really the only reason to watch it. Without Tim Curry it would be absolute garbage.
>>
>>85807413
>Stephen King
>hack author
You're showing your ignorance, anon. He's an overly prolific addict/alcoholic who has written quite a bit of trash, but he's a genuinely great writer with a singular voice & vision. He's written several truly great novels, inside & outside of his "genre." You could make a strong case that he's the most significant and influential American author of his generation.
>>
>>85807516
One of the greatest horror films of all time? Not even close.

Most overrated definitely.
>>
>>85807445
I might've enjoyed it more if I'd read the book. Without context/background knowledge, the movie makes very little sense. The tone is all over the place
>>
>>85807170
Shining movie is literally better than the book. The books ending is kinda shit.
>>
>>85807740
I agree that the ending sucks, but the rest of the book is way better than the movie imo.
>>
The Stand was made into a decent miniseries.
>>
>>85807772
It's good no doubt about that but i thought the movie was a more well rounded package. I enjoyed them both quite a lot though.
>>
>>85806067
Carrie and Stand by Me are the best.
The worst is Dreamcatcher but can't really blame it because the novel was already shit to begin with.
>>
>>85807268
I've never seen Christine and I recently found out John Carpenter directed. Is it any good?
>>
>>85808021
General opinion seems to be that it's just OK, but I really like it. If you like Carpenter & King then it's definitely worth a watch
>>
>>85808304
It sounds like it should be great considering who's attached but I was apprehensive as i had heard so little about it. It's usually not one of the often mentioned adaptions.
>>
>>85808006

add Shawshank to best and I'll agree.
>>
>>85807597
Hack might have been a bit strong, but I read more than my fair share of King during my teen years and wouldn't say he's even close to "truly great".
>>
File: silver-bullet-3[1].jpg (34KB, 340x175px) Image search: [Google]
silver-bullet-3[1].jpg
34KB, 340x175px
>>85806067

no one metions Silver Bullet, which is a great, fun film. The book was an early graphic novel, not sure how faithful, but the film is great.

(werewolf isn't best looking, but you barely see it.)
>>
>>85807413

it's an interesting book, moreso if you've dealt with alcoholism or a family member with alcoholism.

the sequel book is schockingly good, too
>>
>>85806067
The TV adaptation of Under the Dome was so shit that I was rooting for Uncle Hank before the end of the first episode.
>>
>>85806856
>not that guy

kek, literally destroy yourself loser
>>
File: Tim-Curry-as-Pennywise.jpg (62KB, 1018x566px) Image search: [Google]
Tim-Curry-as-Pennywise.jpg
62KB, 1018x566px
>>85806067
dude clowns lmao
>>
>>85807268

Dreamcatcher is the dumbest movie I have ever seen. The ending is bizarre.
>>
File: slimjim.png (86KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
slimjim.png
86KB, 600x800px
the secret window with johnny depp is easily forgotten, but the ending is hysterically bad.
the running man, graveyard shift and the mist are my favorites.
>tfw gerald's game is coming out soon
>>
>>85810182
Nice, I always thought that was one of King's most underrated books, genuinely scary and the ending was actually decent
>>
>>85810182
The adaptation of The Secret Window pissed me off so much.
>>
>>85808432
def worth a watch. like the other anon said people say its ok but it does have its charm...
>>
The worst was 1408 by a country mile
>>
File: 1423666436387.jpg (4KB, 251x174px) Image search: [Google]
1423666436387.jpg
4KB, 251x174px
>>85810419
>moving paintings and phone call were my favourite scenes
>both ruined
>>
>>85810384
I never read the book, what was so bad about the adaption?
>>
I'm hoping that the new IT will be the best adaptation. It looks like the most faithful adaptation yet.
>>
could a film of the long walk work?
>>
>>85810419
There were like 3 endings tho.
>>
>>85812466

I heard one is in the works.
>>
Christine is highly underrated, mostly because Carpenter always directed from his own or friends scripts. This is one the very few times in his prime (Halloween through They Live IMO) when he was a director for hire. Some great set pieces, precise direction by Carpenter and one helluva nice performance by Keith Gordon in the lead. If you can find the reissue DVD get it because there's a very enjoyable commentary with Carpenter and Gordon. Gordon went on to be a good director in his own right and it's clear he had a blast on the film and learned a lot from JC.
>>
>>85812324
MC's character was different, his relationship with his wife was different, his wife's boyfriend was made to look like a complete ass, they changed the ending as well. It just felt like he was rewritten to fit Johnny Depp's style. I think there were a bunch of other things as well, I recommend reading the short story, it's spookier.
>>
>>85812586
people were saying that four years ago
>>
>>85812670
Can you elaborate how it was different?
I'm trying to find a summary of the differences or just the pdf online and they all just give the basic plot synopsis of the movie
>>
>>85806104
WHO MADE WHO
>>
>>85807159
Meh
>>
>>85807405
The director whoever he was balled out
>>
>>85812740

Honestly that's probably where I've heard it from.
>>
>>85808021
>posting in a Stephen King thread
>on film discussion forum
>"I've never seen Christine"

Literally cease to exist
>>
>>85813092
And those people heard it from other people 7-8 years before that. Darabont's got the rights for it.
>>
MISERY bitches
>>
>>85813141
Fucking rumor mill
>>
The two everyone here should check out, that are the best IMO, having read a lot of King, are

>The Night Flier
Underseen af. King actually oversaw the script. Director was extremely hungry and went for it. Has deceased guy from Twin Peaks as lead. Incredible ending, rare for King films. Spooky. Atmospheric. Gory. Funny. Was an HBO film, so has that comfy cult vibe.

>The Raft
This is the pinnacle for nailing the fun "vibe" of King's short stories. It's arguably the best segment of either Creepshow movie. The practical effects, be it the oil slick ripping off the girl's face, or the bro who gets pulled through wood planks, are among the BEST and most horrific of all time. The lack of exposition is god tier. The car stereo playing, the scenic setting, the simple premise, and the legendary ending, it's a shame I can't even name the director. No King feature has ever been this scary. And it occurs in daylight.

Jordy Verrill in Creepshow I is a beer sudsy runner-up, and The Dark Half is underrated, Romero's best non-zombie film. Stand By Me is prob the best overall feature.
>>
>>85806104
>the only one King directed
>was cokes out of his mind
>turned out to be kino

Fucking cunt should've directed more adaptations
>>
>>85813184

I know how The Raft ends in the book, does it end differently in the movie?
>>
>they will never adapt The Finger
Why even bother adapting Stephen King when you reduse to adapt his best work?
>>
>>85807170
Well no shit, the books tend to be better.
>>
Daily reminder that any adaptation of IT that does not include the underage interdimensional gangbang at the end is a shitty adaptation
>>
>there will never be a good, five part dark tower series/movie franchise with a white Roland and proper settings
>>
>>85813210
Grisly fact about Maximum Overdrive: the cinematographer or camera man LOST HIS FUCKING EYE on set, due to King being coked up on set, he sued and left America for his native country, never returned. Amazing King got off for this shit. It was also directed in Wilmington NC, where The Night Flier was made, as well as Under the Dome (shit) and Cat's Eye (I think). King is big on that place. Joyland is set near there.
>>
>>85812890
I can't remember much, but the MC was more Stephen King sarcastic protagonist writer and not a zany loser, his wife was less of a bitch and actually attempted to make some peace with him, he interacted with more people (I remember a coffee shop or something) and in the end he doesn't manage to shoot his wife but is instead killed by one of the insurance company guys they met when their house had burnt down. You won't know who that guy is because the movie turned him into a woman and made him useless. There's also an epilogue where wife, her new husband and insurance guy talk about what happened, mainly the fire and the double personality. I don't remember whether the movie had the message in the hat. Anyway, in the end of the story they all still wonder what was up with Shooter and have nightmares about him.

Google the PDF for Four Past Midnight, it's literally the first result. It's also got /tv/s favourite The Library Policeman and another story about a doggo. And The Langoliers.
>>
>>85806067
I watched Apt Pupil recently and I thought it was pretty good
>>
>>85813243
The guy manages to swim to shore while it's busy eating the last girl. He taunts the creature that he beat it, but it envelops him in a wave. Fucking dumbass, you don't taunt the monster until you're miles away from it. He was only a couple feet away from the car and safety.
>>
>>85813806
Oh yeah, rumor is Bryan Singer drugged and fucked Brad Renfro during filming, and it drove Renfro off the deep end. Given Bryan's rep, I believe it. Muh Nazi neighbor the movie.
>>
I liked Pet Sematary. Loved the book as a kid.
>>
>>85813147
THIS

What makes this movie great is that you KNOW people like Annie exist.
>>
>>85814318
https://youtu.be/Uv7LwFPp3SY
>>
>>85813960
Damn, never heard that
>>
>>85807597
>he's the most significant and influential American author of his generation.
I read a lavish, loving review of Harry Potter by the same Stephen King. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are reading Harry Potter at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to read Stephen King." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you read "Harry Potter" you are, in fact, trained to read Stephen King.
>>
>>85814451
>>85813960
One day Pedowood will be brought down and it'll be glorious.
>>
>>85814528
Any source?
>>
Misery is good. Shawshank Redemption is the best, its only a short story as well which I think helps.
>>
>>85814544
There's only so much Hollywood can do to stave off its sexual scandals and other illegal activities. Sooner or later, the shit will blow up in their faces. Every industry is taken down a peg; the entertainment industry is no different.
>>
The Green Mile and Shawshank Redemption.
>>
>>85814528
When Brad Renfro died, if memory serves, the Academy Awards didn't include him in their eulogy montage, same as Corey Haim. Makes you wonder.
>>
>>85813425
We at least have our imaginations bro. Mid-World will live on through you and I.
>>
>>85814544
>>85814544
Google Bruce La Bruce+Brad Renfro+Exclaim. He wrote an article for Exclaim about hanging with Renfro, years before he died, and makes a pedo joke in the first sentence.

Excerpt:
>It's all about paedophilia these days, we all know that. From JonBenet to Pokémon to little Aaron Carter (Backstreet Boy Nick Carter's sizzling hot younger brother), youth culture has never been at such a premium. So when I was presented with the opportunity recently to hang out with not one but three movie stars under the age of 20, I really couldn't find the strength to say no, despite my notorious aversion to celebrities in general. My friend Esthero had already introduced me to the dazzling Bijou Phillips, of whom I gave you a thumbnail sketch several months ago, and now to be added to the mix were the lovely Dominique Swain, star at of Adrian Lyne's updating of Lolita , and cute as a button Brad Renfro, so mesmerisingly convincing in the vastly underrated Apt Pupil . Interestingly, both movies are about nubile 14 year olds who may or may not know just how adeptly they can control middle-aged men by ingenuously utilising their own considerable sexual charms. Appropriately, all three starlets are in town to appear in the movie Tart . Who am I, a homosexual and filmmaker in a perpetual state of arrested development, to say no?

He writes that Renfro lived with Joel Schumacher, the gay director of The Client and Lost Boys (Corey Haim), and was very close to Singer. He also claims to have taken a photo of Renfro's dick, when he was 17.
>>
File: mistbehemothchil.jpg (54KB, 500x354px) Image search: [Google]
mistbehemothchil.jpg
54KB, 500x354px
The mist and the shining are the only good ones.
>post yfw
>>
>>85806067
Rose Red is the best
>>
Best: Stand By Me
Worst: Golden Years or Trucks
>>
>>85806067
I enjoyed the langoliers
>>
>>85813147
>>85814318

I grew up loving the movie and only recently read the book. The movie is shit by comparison, but that has a lot to do with Misery actually being one of King's best novels. The movie is far too rushed. You never get a real sense of his desperation and the level of Annies insanity.
>>
>>85812458
Yeah, because the changed time period and character dynamics certainly sounds faithful. Fool.
>>
>>85808616
Silver Bullet is fucking stupid. Rocket powered wheelchair and werewolf with baseball bat
>>
Lawnmower man was pure kino
>>
File: 1500516154973.png (324KB, 466x525px) Image search: [Google]
1500516154973.png
324KB, 466x525px
>>85808616
>Silver Bullet
>>
File: STAND BY ME.jpg (32KB, 320x220px) Image search: [Google]
STAND BY ME.jpg
32KB, 320x220px
>>85806067
Stand By Me
>>
>>85808616
The book is literally a calendar with a storyline, not a graphic novel. There's a reason why the chapters are January, February, March, etc and each illustration showcases seasonal weather.
>>
>>85806067
Stand By Me
I'm a sucker for coming of age tales
>>
>>85807401
Needful Things is a terrible adaptation.

SotC was an original work based on nothing.

Get it together, my dude.
>>
>>85807405

Rewatched this one recently because of new movie hype, and it's dreadful. Tim Curry is the only good thing about it, and you don't see him all that much.

My vote would go to Misery.
>>
>>85815343
I cannot believe that we're 2 days away from a Dark Tower movie and I could not care any less. These books have been in my life for over 20 years.
>>
>>85812466
>tfw Frank Darabont had the rights last I heard
>tfw still waiting for that cunt to hire Hideaki Anno to direct it
>>
Best: Shawshank. Cujo.The Stand was pretty good.
>>
>>85806067

THE ICE, is gonna BREAK!
>>
>>85807268
good taste
>>
>>85810419
imagine being this fucking stupid
>>
>>85806067

I'd say Pet Cemetary is the best. The movie is spot on with the novel. It's almost 1:1.
>>
File: trashcan man.jpg (45KB, 220x300px) Image search: [Google]
trashcan man.jpg
45KB, 220x300px
>>85806067
The Stand.

Because it had /pol/ personified.
>>
File: 1.jpg (32KB, 600x456px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
32KB, 600x456px
>>85822194
The Stand was good until Gary Sinise stole Harold's girl.
>>
>>85806067
I liked Salem's Lot, it was pretty creepy and one of the better Vampire stories out there.
>>
1. Carrie (maybe in my top 5 movies ever)
2. The Shining
3. Stand By Me

flawed-but-fun-and-very-Kingian-tier:

Creepshow
Pet Sematary (especially notable for one of the most genuinely scary scenes ever)
It (far from perfect but really captures that whole Stephen King atmosphere and mis en scene)
>>
>>85806339
>implying the Shining wasnt the best way to make a Stephen King adaptation
>AKA take the basic premise and plot and then discard everything else
>>
>>85807454
lay some patrician horror on me then anon
>>
File: The_Langoliers.jpg (58KB, 480x380px) Image search: [Google]
The_Langoliers.jpg
58KB, 480x380px
What was their fucking problem?
>>
>>85824386
Low budget and 90s CGI.
>>
>>85806067
>Best
Shining Miniseries or Langoliers
>Worst
The Shining by Kubrick or Maximum Overdrive
>>
>>85806208
The Dead Zone is really underrated. The atmosphere alone makes it one of the best King adaptations.
>>
>>85806759
I remember walking into a store once and was looking at the dvds.
It said "Stephen King's The Shining" and it really threw me off.
>>
Geralds game. not actually a movie, but if it was it would be the most boring fucking movie ever.
>>
>>85822651
I literally just finished watching Salems Lot. Had no idea it was three hours long when I started. It was pretty good though. It actually reminded me of the original Twin Peaks a lot. Creepy reversed shots, a town being plagued by evil, the focus on a varied group of people and how they react, the melodramatic love story stuff with a sweeping score even the town population sign establishing shot.
>>
How was Storm Of The Century? I remember it was pretty good but it must be at least 15 years when I saw it so I don't really know.
>>
>>85808021
Christine is great, anon.

Carpenter does a fantastic job. Plus sexy cars.
>>
THE ICE! IS GONNA BREAK!
>>
>>85806067
Langoliers for both.
Thread posts: 137
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.