[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: directors commenting on other directors/movie

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 17

File: gilliam.png (526KB, 1310x886px) Image search: [Google]
gilliam.png
526KB, 1310x886px
>The great difference between a Kubrick and a Spielberg is Spielberg is more successful. His films make much more money. But they're comforting- they give you answers. Always, the films are answers. And I don't think they're very clever answers. People have different interpretations of the ending of 2001: A Space Odyssey which leads to discussion and ideas come out of that and thats what I always want to encourage. Spielberg's success is down to the fact that they're comforting, they give you answers and tie things up into nice little bows. He gives you answers even if they're stupid. You can go home and you don't have to worry about it. The Kubricks of this world make you go home and think about it. Schindler's List is about success but the Holocaust was about failure. In Schindler's list we had to save those few people AHH happy ending! A man can do what a man can do! But that's not what the Holocaust was about.
>>
File: 1501350616043.png (277KB, 500x334px) Image search: [Google]
1501350616043.png
277KB, 500x334px
Jodorowsky on Refn:

>>Superman makes me vomit- Batman, all that. That whole empire- this religion, I don’t give a damn. I shit on the United States. Cinema is on its way to degenerate as an industry and it’s all thanks to America. This octopus with eight arms, this cancer that American film is- has infected the entire planet. It’s just a bunch of spiritual excrement. And when you see how films radiate the same spiritual excrement ushered in by the likes of Spielberg and Lucas, you begin to lose hope. So when you discover an artist like Refn- an artist who can survive in this environment uncontaminated- that is a moment of great joy. This lad, Niclas, has saved me from my film depression.
>>
File: gal-ingmar7-jpg.jpg (113KB, 1200x743px) Image search: [Google]
gal-ingmar7-jpg.jpg
113KB, 1200x743px
Bergman on Welles:

>For me he’s just a hoax. It’s empty. It’s not interesting. It’s dead. Citizen Kane, which I have a copy of — is all the critics’ darling, always at the top of every poll taken, but I think it’s a total bore. Above all, the performances are worthless. The amount of respect that movie’s got is absolutely unbelievable.
>>
File: herzog.png (682KB, 700x647px) Image search: [Google]
herzog.png
682KB, 700x647px
Herzog on Godard:

>Someone like Jean-Luc Godard is for me intellectual counterfeit money when compared to a good kung-fu film
>>
File: smith.jpg (168KB, 600x417px) Image search: [Google]
smith.jpg
168KB, 600x417px
Kevin Smith on PTA's Magnolia:

>I’ll never watch it again, but I will keep it. I’ll keep it right on my desk, as a constant reminder that a bloated sense of self-importance is the most unattractive quality in a person or their work.
>>
Vincent Gallo on Spike Jonze:

>He’s the biggest fraud out there. If you bring him to a party he’s the least interesting person at the party, he’s the person who doesn’t know anything. He’s the person who doesn’t say anything funny, interesting, intelligent… He’s a pig piece of shit.

Vincent Gallo on Martin Scorsese:

>I wouldn’t work for Martin Scorsese for $10 million. He hasn’t made a good film in 25 years. I would never work with an egomaniac has-been.

Vincent Gallo on Sofia/Francis Coppola:

>Sofia Coppola likes any guy who has what she wants. If she wants to be a photographer she’ll fuck a photographer. If she wants to be a filmmaker, she’ll fuck a filmmaker. She’s a parasite just like her fat, pig father was.

Vincent Gallo on Abel Ferrara:

>Abel Ferrara was on so much crack when I did The Funeral, he was never on set. He was in my room trying to pick-pocket me.

Vincent Gallo on Quentin Tarantino:

>He's a collage artist.
>>
>>85796964
B A S E D
>>
File: quentin-tarantino.jpg (43KB, 930x516px) Image search: [Google]
quentin-tarantino.jpg
43KB, 930x516px
>Godard on Tarantino:

Tarantino named his production company after one of my films. He’d have done better to give me some money.

Korine on Tarantino:

>Quentin Tarantino seems to be too concerned with other films. I mean, about appropriating other movies, like in a blender. I think it’s, like, really funny at the time I’m seeing it, but then, I don’t know, there’s a void there. Some of the references are flat, just pop culture.

Broomfield on Tarantino:

>It’s like watching a schoolboy’s fantasy of violence and sex, which normally Quentin Tarantino would be wanking alone to in his bedroom while this mother is making his baked beans downstairs. Only this time he’s got Harvey Weinstein behind him and it’s on at a million screens.

Spike Lee on Tarantino:

>I’m not against the word, and I use it, but not excessively. And some people speak that way. But, Quentin is infatuated with that word. What does he want to be made — an honorary black man?
>>
>>85796805
This is pleb, it seems generic and a bit by the book now because it literally wrote the fucking book. It basically invented modern cinema and techniques. Thats why its so revered.
>>
>>85797061
I agree with every single one of them
>>
>>85797061
Shame that Korine does the same but with
>Look guys! IM wierd!
>>
>>85796837

Most accurate.
>>
>>85796964
>Vincent Gallo

Did he say that before or after Tetro ?
>>
>>85796964
He is a shitposter here, no doubt at all.
>>
>>85796699
I thought the same thing
>>
>>85796718
>i shit on the united states
i love this man. Although he uses facebook like an aunt.
>>
>>85797192
that makes no sense, his quote says tarantino steals from multiple shit, blends it, and ends up with a shitty collage full of pop culture references.
He could be edgy, repeat the same theme over and over, whatever u say, but he's not about pop culture nor he steals from classic authors
>>
File: kojireed.jpg (30KB, 520x293px) Image search: [Google]
kojireed.jpg
30KB, 520x293px
Nicolas Winding Refn on Hideo Kojima:
>Watching the trailers for MGSV makes you wonder if the spirits of Dostoyevsky, Stanley Kubrick, and Caravaggio entered Hideo Kojima's body because, using the art of gaming as his canvas, he boldly goes where no one has gone before.
>The trailers for Metal Gear Solid V, prove once again that Hideo Kojima is a master at portraying a wider and more complex view of human nature combined with breathtaking action sequences. A daring and bold move from one of the founders of the future of technology. With Metal Gear Solid V, Hideo Kojima has created the perfect marriage of cinematic storytelling and cutting edge gaming technology. For me, it all culminates into one word: Genius.
>>
>>85796718
a hack praising another hack
what a surprise
>>
>>85796837
based
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLJ_2WMmlPQ
>>
>>85798108
>gotta make my new jap bestbud look good even if his game is incomplete
>>
File: sgc2c_ep050_01.jpg (78KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
sgc2c_ep050_01.jpg
78KB, 400x300px
>>85796882
>Kevin Smith criticizing anyones work
>>
>>85797132

Do you not know who Ingmar Bergman is?
>>
>>85797061
Spike Lee is one of the best shit talkers in the industry.
>>
>>85796718
Jodorowsky is a massive pleb it turns out.
>>
>>85798306
Correct. But he is right about Quentin. They're both fucking hacks so...
>>
>>85798248
He's on point about magnolia though, and I like PTA in general, but christ that movie is just one long wet fart. DUDE CONNECTIONS LMAO.
RESPECT THE COCK.
>>
>>85796964
YAS SLAY QUEEN
>>
>>85796837
Absolute pleb.
>>85797211
>>85798198
Kill yourself.
>>
>>85798108
What a psued
>>
>>85796882
Based
>>
>>85796964
fucking halarious
he's got that lake erie rage.
>>
>>85796964
>Vincent Gallo on Quentin Tarantino:
>>He's a collage artist.
This man gets it.
>>
>watching youtube video on Tarantino
>it's his favourite movies since he started making movies
>his favourite is Battle Royale
>huh I guess I'll give it a watch
>it's complete fucking shit
BRAVO TARANTINO
>>
>>85798293
Yeah a jealous cunt. Literally shitting on it because it was more important and revered than his earliest works.
>>
What about Authors commenting on the film-adaptation of their novel while the director is watching it with them?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVJPNua1Mhw&feature=youtu.be&t=179

Couldn't find a non-Cracked copy of it for some fucking reason. I know I've fucking seen it without all the text-shit.
>>
This is just tv/ but with a better vocabulary.
>>
>>85798108
He's clearly never played the game. it was a train wreck
>>
Truffaut on Antonioni:

>Antonioni is the only important director I have nothing good to say about. He bores me; he’s so solemn and humorless.

Bergman on Antonioni:

>Fellini, Kurosawa, and Bunuel move in the same field as Tarkovsky. Antonioni was on his way, but expired, suffocated by his own tediousness.
>>
>>85796964
This guy excels at shit talking. There's simply insulting people, and then there's making a craft out of it.
>>
File: godard-0-600-0-600.jpg (54KB, 660x408px) Image search: [Google]
godard-0-600-0-600.jpg
54KB, 660x408px
Bergman on Godard:

>I’ve never gotten anything out of his movies. They have felt constructed, faux intellectual, and completely dead. Cinematographically uninteresting and infinitely boring. Godard is a fucking bore. He’s made his films for the critics. One of the movies, Masculin, Féminin, was shot here in Sweden. It was mind-numbingly boring.

Welles on Godard:

>His gifts as a director are enormous. I just can’t take him very seriously as a thinker — and that’s where we seem to differ, because he does. His message is what he cares about these days, and, like most movie messages, it could be written on the head of a pin.
>>
>>85798525
woah why when i remember battle royale do i think of it being like an 80s older movie? it does NOT look like a movie made in 2000, the cinematography and camera quality in general are shit
>>
>>85798848
Well, he's said right after the Nuclear trailer, so
>>
Spike Lee on Tyler Perry:

>We got a black president, and we going back to Mantan Moreland and Sleep ‘n’ Eat?

Tyler Pery on Spike Lee:

>Spike can go straight to hell! You can print that… Spike needs to shut the hell up!

Clint Eastwood on Spike Lee:

>A guy like him should shut his face.
>>
>>85798525
>Battle Royale is shit
you're the only pleb here pal
>>
>>85796964
i fucking hate vincent gallo but i also love him. This extends even to his films. Buffalo 66 is one of the most fun yet also frustrating things to watch, both because of gallo. Odd bird that one
>>
Herzog on Abel Ferrara:

>I have no idea who Abel Ferrara is. But let him fight the windmills… I’ve never seen a film by him. I have no idea who he is. Is he Italian? Is he French? Who is he?
>>
>>85798964
Maybe that's why Tarantino likes it so much, reminds him of his youth or some shit.

>>85799017
Alright not total shit but it's goofy and retarded. To say that's your favourite film of the last 20 years is insane
>>
>>85796718
I MEK A MAN CLIM DE TOWER HE IS A METAFOR FOR HEZOOS AND HE CLIMB THW TOWER AND THE DE MAN MEK HIM SMOEK DE SHIT AND AND HE BECOME ENLIGHTENED WHEN HE SMELLS HIS SHIT THEN I SHOW A FACTORY TO SHOW CAPIHTAHLISAHM IS VERY BAD ALSO DUNE WOULD HEV BEEN DE BEST MOVIE EVER MADE LOOK AT ALL OF DIS CONCEPT ART

fuck jodorowsky, piece of shit faggot. I agree with what he says about capeshit but he is no better, he is DUUDE LIIIFE AND SOCIETY the director
>>
File: gallo sperm.png (1MB, 1559x4578px) Image search: [Google]
gallo sperm.png
1MB, 1559x4578px
>>85796964
Based. He's the armond white of filmmaking

In his free time he prostitutes himself for $50,000 and sells his semen for $1,000,000
>>
>>85796882
yoga hosers
>>
>>85797061
>4/5 directors say something of relevance
>spike faggot lee has to make it about race

goddamn get a real sense of identity beyond your skin color you faggot
>>
>>85799113
that paragraph about selling his sperm is one of the funniest things ive ever read
>>
>>85799113
>I don't know how a well hung father can enhance the physical makeup of a female baby, but it can't hurt.
lol
>>
>>85799113
>Mr. Gallo maintains the right to refuse sale of his sperm to those of extremely dark complexions.
What did he mean by this?
>>
I like how /tv/ falls for these fake quotes every time you remake this thread
>>
>>85799676
none of them are fake though
>>
>>85796718
based Jodo
>>
>>85799694
Source them.
>>
>>85796964
this nigga is just laying down the smackdown, holy shit.
>>
>>85799874
copy paste and google them
>>
>>85797061
the only time I've ever agreed with Spike Lee
>>85799177
doesn't change the fact that he's completely right
>>
>>85796699
>dude it's bad if it's not open ended lmao
What a hack
>>
File: 1382057129419.jpg (54KB, 645x613px) Image search: [Google]
1382057129419.jpg
54KB, 645x613px
>tfw modern directors are just studio yes men
>tfw we'll never get modern day directors shit talking one another
>>
>>85799974
Nothing shows up of relevance you fag.
>>
>>85796718
lmao what a joyless cunt, I bet he's unbearable to be around
>>
File: gallo.png (1MB, 1334x1010px) Image search: [Google]
gallo.png
1MB, 1334x1010px
More Gallo:

>(On Roger Ebert) Fat pig with the physique of a slave trader. I wish colon cancer on him.

>Stephen Soderbergh sucks.

>Wes Anderson sucks.

>Spike Jonze sucks bad. I’ve known Spike Jonze since he was 11 years old and he’s a rich jew from the upper east side. He’s embarrassing as a BMXer and he’s embarrassing as a skateboarder. He’s the biggest fraud out there. If you bring him to a party he’s the least interesting person at the party, he’s the person who doesn’t know anything. He’s the person who doesn’t say anything funny, interesting, intelligent… He’s a pig piece of shit.

When asked about what he has in common with Dennis Hopper:

>I don’t relate to any drug addict or alcoholic
>>
>>85800113
which one do you want sourced? most of them can be found in an article on flavorwire "30 harshest film maker on film maker insults in history"
>>
>>85800262
Fake news.
>>
>>85800262
did he say good things about anyone?
>>
>>85800365
listen to his interview on stern. he's no more negative than anyone else in hollywood he just doesn't bite his tongue
>>
>>85800365
No he's a bitter failure
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoHg-RvcwzE
>>
>>85799032
Ferrara is the best American director of the past 40 years. Herzog makes shit.
>>
>>85798525
It's a movie for 14 y. o. boys who are obsessed with violence. Not surprised he liked it.
>>
>>85800631
ferrara's best films are shit compared to herzog's best
>>
>>85800631

ferrara sucks and is bitter that herzogs bad lieutenant is leagues above the original
>>
File: HELL GOD BABY DAMN YESSSS.png (583KB, 1024x554px) Image search: [Google]
HELL GOD BABY DAMN YESSSS.png
583KB, 1024x554px
>>85798992
>Clint Eastwood on Spike Lee:
>>A guy like him should shut his face.

Clint being absolutely based
>>
>>85800941
HAHAHHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>>
>>85799113
Dear god. But is he really drug free?
>>
>>85799113
Would he sell me his sperm if I promise I'll only eat it?
>>
>>85801330
Yes. He's one of those pro-Bush right wing straight edge types. I get the sense that he aligns himself politically in opposition to those he hates as opposed to what he actually believes. He's a contrarian in the purest sense of the word.
>>
>>85799113
>this balding manlet thinks his little dick is big
You have a tiny laughable cock vinny, and you're ugly as sin
>>
>>85796699
>Schindler's List is about success
hmm where have i heard that before
>>
>>85796837
fucking based

>>85796964
vincent gallo is truly /ourguy/
>>
>>85796882
>a bloated sense of self-importance is the most unattractive quality in a person or their work
I think Smith's calculated "unpretentious" schtick is far worse. He spends millions of dollars to make a movie, but he won't even attempt to say or do anything real or worthwhile with it. I would much rather see someone swing for the fences and miss the mark rather than another childish "bad-on-purpose" piece of shit from a middle-aged hack who thinks he can dodge any criticism by saying "haha but I wasn't even trying though"
>>
>>85798964
Japanese film production standards aren't great, despite inventing a majority of cutting-edge photography equipment.
>>
>>85796699
He's actually put that very well, I've always preferred more open-ended works but never been able to express why so eloquently.
>>
File: betty exterminated jews.jpg (84KB, 491x414px) Image search: [Google]
betty exterminated jews.jpg
84KB, 491x414px
>>85796699
mmmm-YOUR CLOTHES ARE RED
Thread posts: 90
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.