[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ian McShane to play Prof. Broom in Hellboy: Rise of the Blood Queen

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 23

File: ian_mcshane.jpg (76KB, 513x435px) Image search: [Google]
ian_mcshane.jpg
76KB, 513x435px
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/american-gods-star-ian-mcshane-joins-david-harbour-hellboy-reboot-1025853
Also

>“It goes R not for reasons of nudity." Harbour explained. "It goes R for a bit of gore and horror, but also a bit of just the mature aspect of it, the mature themes of it. Just that we’re dealing with complicated subjects."

>"It’s a real character piece. Of course, it has huge action elements to it, but we’ve modeled it somewhat on Shakespeare. I mean, it’s a bit like Hamlet. It really is this study of this man going through this horrible conundrum and we really get to go in deep with him.”

http://comicbook.com/movies/2017/07/26/hellboy-rise-of-the-blood-queen-r-rating-david-harbour/

HellKino confirmed boys
>>
Wasn't david harbour the fuck who said you should punch anyone you disagree with politically ?

Will watch this shit, never
>>
>>85768717
Sounds godawful desu
>>
File: CcCaFfTUUAAddP1.jpg (48KB, 400x298px) Image search: [Google]
CcCaFfTUUAAddP1.jpg
48KB, 400x298px
>>85768774
You'd hate Hellboy anyway then
>>
>>85768774
sadly yes.
in recent interviews he has been comparing the horror universe to Hellboy.
For me A reboot isnt necessary
They should have just focus on the BPRD without hellboy you have an entire universe with that.
Also Lobster Johnson, Witchfinder, And Baltimore would made Kino cosmic horror tv series or Films.
>>
>>85769263
I meant comparing hellboy universe horror to Donald Trump's government
>>
>>85769263
agreed, a BPRD standalone would be GOAT
>>
>>85768774
yeah, what a bully. pfffft
>fucking victim nazis
>>
>>85768774
You ineffectual fucking dork
>>
File: 1378241863923.jpg (1MB, 569x2413px) Image search: [Google]
1378241863923.jpg
1MB, 569x2413px
>>
Is it gonna be better than the Del Toro movies?
>>
>>85771236
Doubtful. He may be an autistic weirdo with a funny accent, but he genuinely gives a shit about his movies. Even if I don't like them all, I still respect him just for being one of the few directors left that give a shit.
>>
>>85768717

Not great casting imo. Ian never seems 100% benevolent in his performances.
>>
>>85768717
Being rated R worked so well for Ghost Rider 2...

You just don't replace Ron
>>
>>85771236

I'm looking forward to it, but no.
>>
File: 1501591991221.jpg (327KB, 1095x1195px) Image search: [Google]
1501591991221.jpg
327KB, 1095x1195px
>David Harbour as Hellboy
>>
>no Perlman
I love McShane but come on Perlman IS Hellboy
>>
>more Hellbore movies
>>
>>85771714
Only literal retards make comparisons like this
>>
>>85771236
It will have none of the charm, and it will completely fail to create the same atmosphere as the comics.
>>
>>85771878
>Perlman IS Hellboy
Considering he's the only actor whos ever been given the chance to play the role of course you'd say that
>>
File: David_Harbour_(17015322391).jpg (15KB, 220x293px) Image search: [Google]
David_Harbour_(17015322391).jpg
15KB, 220x293px
>>85768717
>Hellboy: Rise of the Blood Queen

>David Harbour as Hellboy
>>
Is the 'Blood Queen' Nimue? it ought to be. hope she wears her Raven helmet.
>>
>>85772111
I'm gonna assume so since Mignola and Golden co-wrote the script
>>
>>85772048
Never heard of this guy before, but from that picture, I can see him as Hellboy. Is he a good actor?
>>
>>85772212
He's the sheriff in stranger things.
>>
>>85772212
He was pretty good in End of Watch even though he wasn't in it much also did well in Stranger Things. Still would rather much prefer Perlman.
>>
>>85772212
He's around Steven Seagal-tier when it comes to actual acting.
>>
File: 1435897734252.gif (3MB, 308x175px) Image search: [Google]
1435897734252.gif
3MB, 308x175px
>>85772048
>>85771789
Why in the hell are people upset by this? His character in Stranger Things already points to him being a pretty good Hellboy. Hellboy is a gruff guy who punches and shoots stuff while hurling tough guy insults and muttering insults. His disaffected sheriff act in the beginning of Stranger Things is perfect for Hellboy.

It also helps that he's got a build that works for the role too.
>>
>>85772111

I think it will be since the photo Harbour linked was from The Wild Hunt, so they'll probably be doing The Wild Hunt/The Storm & The Fury, hopefully with elements from Darkness Calls and earlier stuff relevant to the arc like The Corpse/The Nature of the Beast/Box Full of Evil etc. I suppose this means they wont be doing the Rasputin arc, but that's not the worst thing ever since Del Toro already covered elements of that.
>>
>>85768846
Does Harbour know this is not real and Nazis arnt alive anymore?
>>
File: bloodqueen_large.jpg (50KB, 555x748px) Image search: [Google]
bloodqueen_large.jpg
50KB, 555x748px
>>85772111

yep and it's gonna be kino
>>
>>85771959
And yet he absolutely owned it, the only other person I can think of like that was J.K.Simmons as J Jonah Jameson.
>>
>>85772478
Just recast Pearlman. Hellboy has a dry wit and tough outside underlying a genuinely good person within. It's a take on the gentle giant that went 100% perfectly due to pearlman.

Stranger things guy will be too grungy or thoughtful imo. Plus he doesn't have the right voice
>>
>>85772621
>dry wit and tough outside underlying a genuinely good person within

That was literally Harbour's character in Stranger Things though. He was supposed to be the trope-y skeptical sheriff that does nothing about the supernatural stuff going on in town, but he ended up being one of the most invested people in saving the kid and going way beyond what most people were doing in order to do it.
>>
>>85772527
>Nazis arnt alive anymore?
I'd invite you to peruse one of the more popular boards on 4 chan before you make that statement. >>>/pol/
>>
>>85772621

If you read this interview you can see that he kind of understands that:

http://screenrant.com/hellboy-reboot-david-harbour-hopper-comparison/

>And yeah, Hellboy is his own thing and I really like him. I’m starting to fall in love with him. He’s got a lot of issues. Hopper is a bit more of an adult than Hellboy. Hopper is kind of a child in certain ways, but I think Hellboy is really a hellboy and not a hellman and he’s struggling with his own destiny, this horrible destiny of being the Beast of the Apocalypse and not wanting to do that and be a sweet guy inside and having tons of father issues.
>He smokes cigarettes and he hates himself and I think he has a really good heart and he’s a sweet kid and he’s trying to figure out all of these father/mother issues and I think we’ll see that expressed in the movie as well.
>>
>>85771959
Yeah, and you know why? Because Del Toro insisted on it.
>>
>>85773082
>Upon meeting to discuss the movie, Hellboy creator Mike Mignola and director Guillermo del Toro decided to reveal to each other their choice for the lead role of Hellboy. They both said at the same time, Ron Perlman.
>>
>>85773149
Surely that was made up after the fact that Perlman got the part.
>>
>>85773184
No. Perlman has had a long history of playing masked monsters. Del Toro refused a bigger budget and a cast of A-lists, so he could get Perlman. Every time he left an audition set up by the studio, he'd say "That guys good, but I like Perlman better."
>>
>>85771942
but del toro didnt really do that either.
>>
>>85773243
Hell his career was made because of his role as beast in the beauty and the beast show, where beast lived in the sewer and fucked sarah connor.
If you want a big ugly stone faced mountain of a man, with a heart of gold you really can't do worse.
>>
>>85773243
Neat.
>>
>>85773381
True, but his movies had charm atleast.
>>
>>85772438
>Still would rather much prefer Perlman.

That goes without saying. The man is half gorilla or something.

Still, I think you could do worse than Harbour. I'm interested in how he'll like in costume.
>>
>>85769920
>>85769885
>>85768846
>asshurt pinkos
Back to >>>/leftypol/ with you.
>>
>no del taco art direction
>no Perlman

Me no likey, me no watchey.
>>
File: Oh ffs.gif (3MB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
Oh ffs.gif
3MB, 500x281px
>Celebrating for McShane
>Fucking Harbour is playing ANY role in this movie

Dropped. Nothing will ever surpass Perlman + Hurt, but there's no need to fuck everything up like that.
>>
File: Quest-for-Fire1.jpg (109KB, 700x380px) Image search: [Google]
Quest-for-Fire1.jpg
109KB, 700x380px
>>85773453
Who you calling a monkey!?
>>
From what I've seen I'm cautiously optimistic.

The Del Toro films were cinematically fantastic, the direction and the art and design were genuinely breathtaking much of the time, while the acting of Perlman, Hurt, David Hyde Pierce and then Doug Jones was all awesome. My only issue with it was the ways in which it departed from the original comics in both story and character-wise. I'll admit I'm a huge Hellboy fan so this might seem like an autistic fan gripe but the thing is Mignola, while being a great artist, is also a really great writer who has written some of my favourite comic book characters and stories. Del Toro departing from that with a fairly by-the-numbers early 2000s superhero script (with that irritating audience surrogate character Miles) was a little obnoxious and didn't fully work. Again with the second film, itself completely removed from any Hellboy comic arcs or stories. There's so much cool, well-fleshed out shit in the BPRD universe that I would absolutely love to see on screen and instead we got those shitty 'Tooth Fairies' and some giant CGI gold robots. Pissed me off desu.

Also the Liz-Hellboy romance plot was fucking retarded. One of my favourite things about Liz Sherman in Seed of Destruction, Wake the Devil and Almost Colossus is that, while she doesn't have very in-depth characterisation, she comes across as quite broken, bitter and twisted, yet in a nuanced way. She's cursed in an almost physical sense, her powers are like an illness that's physically killing her. Selma Blair did a terrible job of representing that. Sure, she starts out in an insane asylum and we have that flashback of her getting rocks thrown at her, but most of the time she's fairly normal, almost bored. She's reduced to 'love interest' and that's annoying.

Also he left out my waifu Kate Corrigan.

Idk as much as I'm sad to lose Perlman as he played Hellboy amazingly, I like that Mignola's directing the story of this. Would work better as a miniseries tho.

Also
>>
>>85772478
>David Harbou
He is a cuck
>>
>>85773710

del toro fucking killed him before he could finish this post
>>
File: cVXPHhk.png (893KB, 1024x841px) Image search: [Google]
cVXPHhk.png
893KB, 1024x841px
>>85772564

d-do you think we will get asskino like the comics?
>>
Is this the dude that was on stage during that weird drunken wynona ryder wagegap sexism rant or whatever it was?
>>
File: Guillermo_del_toro_pacific_rim.png (955KB, 739x960px) Image search: [Google]
Guillermo_del_toro_pacific_rim.png
955KB, 739x960px
>>85773803

Gomennasai~
>>
>>85769263
extended tv and movie mignolaverse when? hellboy's adventures are the movies, bprd is mostly netflix style series but tie in to movies with hellboy or have standalone movies for stuff like the ogdru jahad invasion. lobster johnson and edward grey as netflix series also. maybe a hellboy as a kid with a young broom as a miniseries too.
>>
>>85773963
dare to dream anon
>>
>>85773710
You managed to capture both my hesitant excitement for the reboot, whilst also explain my gripes with the previous films despite Toro's craftmanship.

Due to the rather high praise the films are getting nowadays, even more so when they first appeared I feel, I'm worried we're just going to see a rehash of the films but from a more 'mature' perspective. Less B-side schlockiness that Del Toro made his own and more melodrama (Perhaps not the right word but I'll expand my point). Yet rather than direct that melodrama as something the comics explored amazingly, examples being Hellboy's reluctance to face his 'destiny' as the bringer of destruction, and his own insecurities of what makes a monster a monster, we're going to see some romance bullshit akin to Liz and Hellboy in the Del Toro films.

I desperately want the reboot to be faithful to the comics, but I'm still too unsure to place any hope on it. Regardless, I really enjoyed what you had to say about Hellboy.
>>
>>85773869
Yes, and because of this butthurt /pol/cucks are incapable of separating the man's work from his politics.
>>
>>85774086
if they do it right it should feel like a German Expressionist film with absurdist humor
>>
>>85774132
No Jack Kirby then
>>
>>85774023
/ourcomrades/
>>
Hellboy in Hell is too glorious to ever be rendered on film
>>
>>85768774
And he was having a complete breakdown while saying that. Watch the video for his hands.
>>
>>85774200
if you can get Kirby dots into live action then go for it
>>
>>85772830
>Some autists whinning on the internet about being virgins at 30 because niggas are nazis.
>>
is Johann /ourguy/?
>>
>>85774439
He was in full possessionl of his faculties.
>>
File: the_abyss_of_time_1[1].jpg (336KB, 900x1384px) Image search: [Google]
the_abyss_of_time_1[1].jpg
336KB, 900x1384px
>>85774730
howards is /myguy/
or iosif
>>
>>85775175
Howards is endlessly fascinating
>>
>>85774086

>Regardless, I really enjoyed what you had to say about Hellboy.

cheers lad. i love these comics and i think they're so massively underrated. i know every comic book nerd says this about their own personal favourite book series, but the main Hellboy line is one of the few comics i've read that paces and conducts itself, both graphically and narratively, in such an artistic manner that it almost feels like 'proper' literature, not just comic book genre fiction. the allusions and traditions it treads reach not only beyond pulp, but beyond early 20th century weird fiction like Lovecraft, Howard, Hodgson, Lieber, Wellman and Clark Ashton Smith, going back to their predecessors like Ambrose Pierce, Robert Chambers, Mark Twain, Algernon Blackwood, Arthur Machen, Stoker, Doyle, Wells, Verne, Dickens, Melville, and all the greatest ghost storytellers, touching upon the German Expressionist art and cinema of Marc, Kirchner, Pechstein, Murnau, Wiene and Lang, the Gothic tradition of Poe and Hawthorne and Mary Shelley, Celtic Revivalists like Yeats, Romanticists like Percy Shelley, Byron, Coleridge, Wordsworth, Keats, Scott and a lot of Blake. He even draws upon the satire of Pope and Swift, going as far back as the work of Rabelais, Dryden, Bunyan, Milton, Donne, Spenser, Cervantes, Shakespeare and is influenced by oh so much Dante. Artistically, he has so many influences, with perhaps his strongest being Dore, Goya and Durer, with of course the comic tradition of Kirby in there as well, and even some really obscure shit like Aubrey Beardsley. There's no other comic series, in my opinion, that engages with the literary and artistic tradition in this way and makes use and takes advantage of its format to unite both art and literature.
I also love the BPRD, Lobster Johnson, Abe Sapien etc. comics, but i feel they are more traditionally pulpy and do not abandon the basic tenets of comic books and visual storytelling in quite the way the main range has done.
>>
AMAZING SCREW ON HEAD MOVIE WHEN
>>
File: Hellboy and Alice.jpg (3MB, 6698x2580px) Image search: [Google]
Hellboy and Alice.jpg
3MB, 6698x2580px
>>85775424
well put
>>
File: BPRD-Universal-Machine1.png (434KB, 500x456px) Image search: [Google]
BPRD-Universal-Machine1.png
434KB, 500x456px
Who /teamdaryl/ here?

Wendigo uprising when?
>>
sorry del Cucko ;)
>>
File: etsy.jpg (456KB, 995x1586px) Image search: [Google]
etsy.jpg
456KB, 995x1586px
>>85775424
He has the best character designs and art for years (Starman comes close), also he has made the comics best universe by far, he basically was a successful Kirby. Mignola is a genius in his medium, Cosmic Odyssey, Batman The Doom That Came to Gotham, Gotham by Gaslight are some of the best things DC has ever published because of him. I just him he did more things with Etrigan, he seems like one of the few who genuinely likes him.
>>
File: Hellboy.jpg (174KB, 1200x831px) Image search: [Google]
Hellboy.jpg
174KB, 1200x831px
For curiosity's sake, Del Toro's plans for HELLBOY 3.

>Hellboy and Liz have children. One is demon-looking like Hellboy and one is human-looking like Liz.

>John Myers returns and reveals that Rasputin has been revived by occultist billionaire Roderick Zinco. Kroenen is also back as a head in a jar attached to a robotic body.

>Rasputin and Zinco are after Hellboy's child to unleash the apocalypse. They send a brainwashed archangel that Rasputin captured in WWII to kill Hellboy.

>Everyone assumes the demon-looking son is the one Rasputin is after, but it is actually the human-looking one. The kid opens the gates of Hell.

>Hellboy is forced to put him down, kills Rasputin for good, and sacrifices himself to close the gates. Zinco is arrested by Myers.

>Set up for Hellboy's demon-looking son to go on new adventures in the future.

>Abe, Kraus and Manning were going to return.

>Lobster Johnson would appear in a WWII flashback about how Rasputin captured the archangel, played by Bruce Campbell.
>>
File: Hellboy - The Ogdru Jahad.jpg (2MB, 5086x1928px) Image search: [Google]
Hellboy - The Ogdru Jahad.jpg
2MB, 5086x1928px
>>85775424
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3escvQEziag

for some reason reading Hellboy always makes me think of this music
>>
>tfw there's a comfy hellboy thread in /tv/ with a decent amount of participants
is this a dream?
>>
>>85778382
im in awe myself, regularly updating to see if people will continue to talk about it.
>>
I feel like Hellboy would work really well as an animation, not the crappy direct-to-DVD animated films they've made, not something the quality of your usual animated superhero TV and films, something more traditionally drawn, in the exact style of Mignola, with an almost abstract sensibility about the art.
>>
>>85779958
They prove they can do it.
Look at the amazing screwon head .
>>
Hellboy is such a stylistically gorgeous comic that I always have trouble seeing how the same mystery can easily come through in a film. I do love the Mignola stuff, but it always felt different from the comics
>>
>>85772212
His demeanor and stature could work I think.
>>
>>85780629
amazing screw-on head is more like a motion graphic novel than an actual animation though. it's decent enough for what it is, but proper frame by frame hand drawn animation would be fantastic. it would of course take an incredible amount of work to do it, matching mignola's style of shadow to fluid animation is probably enough to drive animators insane.
>>
File: lel.jpg (34KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
lel.jpg
34KB, 1280x720px
>>85774125
>>Yes, and because of this butthurt /pol/cucks are incapable of separating the man's work from his politics.
>implying anyone on the leftside of the spectrum ever does this

turnabout is fairplay sugartits

[This song fucking rules though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhEIz9SzrPk]
>>
>>85773963
>mmmm yes give me the shitty production values and filler of television
You're an idiot.
Thread posts: 88
Thread images: 23

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.