[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Stop being ironic

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 11

Stop being ironic
>>
File: 1455891929353.png (643KB, 1022x731px) Image search: [Google]
1455891929353.png
643KB, 1022x731px
it's impossible to be completely sincere your entire life.
>>
>>85657635
it didn't used to be, and I think that's what DFW was sort of lamenting. but he also seemed to think that a new sincerity would be coming back once the contemporary obsession with postmodernism subsided

it's difficult for unmolested sincerity to exist in the world we live in today because we live in the hyperreal. everything; all information, all signs and symbols, are so laden with the meta and a hyperawareness of subjectivity that people struggle to be sincere since, to many, it feels as if what is "real" is accelerating to the point of vanishing

I'm gonna go back to /his/ now
>>
File: dark apollo.jpg (295KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
dark apollo.jpg
295KB, 1000x1000px
Stop cross posting.
>>>/lit/
>>
I couldn't take him seriously after listening to the graduation speech he gave at Kenyon, I thought it was just ridiculous. I own a copy of "this is water," should I read it?
>>
>>85658023
>implying sincerity, honesty and "being real" are or ever were important or even virtues
>>
DUDE CONSIDER THE LOBSTER LMAO
>>
>>85657564
>>85657635
>>85658023
>>85658262

I haven’t a single doubt in my mind none of who have read the actual essay.

>>85658180

This is Water is his Kenyon speech, you mongoloid.
>>
meme writer
>>
>>85658262
I'm don't imply that at all, but DFW seemed to value sincerity over irony for a number of valid reasons he'd present when discussing this topic.

I don't hold an opinion about what kind of cultural values over time are virtuous or otherwise. it's pointless as all we ever have to compare it to is the past and we as humans have a bias towards things as they were when we were in our developmental stages. I merely offered my perspective on why sincerity has taken a backseat to postmodernism because mass media, the internet, and other information technologies have accelerated the process of signs (i.e. cultural history and memes) being relentlessly replicated, commodified, and proliferated to the point of meaninglessness
>>
Bret Easton Ellis said that DFW could be a really bitchy cunt in real life and very often not the guy he sold himself as in interviews and shit. Not even remotely as sincere as he wanted people to believe.
>>
>>85659786
Link? I can only find Bret comments saying that DFW was pretentious
>>
>>85658409
DUDE, ___ LMAO is babby's first ironic shitpost
>>
Didn't hedberg top himself though?
>>
>DFW criticizes Ellis for not attempting to bring hopeful and life-affirming sentiments to literature, which is by his definition "good art" and which makes Ellis' art "bad art" or at the very least "not good art"
>DFW kills himself
>Ellis still writing his books and memeing it up in LA
wow it's almost as if assessing the world rationally and presenting a both humorous and hyperbolic representation of the world allows you to accept things for what they are and function in that world
>>
File: Ben-Blue-Velvet-Dean-Stockwell.jpg (63KB, 800x340px) Image search: [Google]
Ben-Blue-Velvet-Dean-Stockwell.jpg
63KB, 800x340px
>>85660663
Is Blue Velvet a New Sincerity film?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wie8uPgQOYE
>>
File: plebs.jpg (45KB, 570x487px) Image search: [Google]
plebs.jpg
45KB, 570x487px
why do they ALWAYS end up on the superior medium board for validation lads??
>>
>>85660934
>DFW = unfunny pretentiousness = /lit/
>Ellis = hyperironic sarcasm = /tv/

literally our fucking guy though
>>
pearl jam sucks
>>
>>85660712
It's kinda interesting, this sort of thing happens over and over again. It's always depressives who are idealistic, or maybe the other way around.

I believe there are certain personality types that can't stand the way the world is and always has been. That's what religion was for, the belief that it will all be okay after death. Trying to find the Ideal in this world is a fool's errand.
>>
>>85659786
also DFW rampaged through student and lit chick fangirl pussy
>>
>>85660712
both suck as writers though
>>
>>85661419
After 1998, yes
>>
>>85661270

Infinite Jest is by far the funniest book I have ever read.
>>
File: federer face.png (30KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
federer face.png
30KB, 300x300px
>>85657564

His article about Federer is Tennis kino
>>
>>85661531
what's next? nirvana?
>>
>>85661562
unintentionally maybe
>>
>>85661531
just because you were toying with your glorified clit of a penis through your piss-soaked pannies while thinking about Eddie 'Bono Jr' Vedder back in the day, doesn't mean actual adults have to lower themselves to your delusion.
>>
>>85661476
it's just fucking Marxism dude, the initial postmodern writers have a sound understanding of the modern world but they draw the most moronic and puerile conclusions about how to act. for some reason any concentration of power or luxury is wrong because that inequality gradient can be abused. beacons of hope and humanity are constructed through concentrations of power. these assholes would rather have everyone suffering in a mire of nominal fairness than let inequal amounts of suffering play out naturally.
>>
>>85657564
I've never been ironic in my life. At the same time, I've never been sincere or honest in my life either.
Deliberate vagueness and lying are second nature to me. I am deeply disgusted by this, but I can't help myself. I play an inflated, disingenuous caricature of myself during every waking second of my life. It is what it is.
>>
>>85661984
Elaborate on your personality irl and in your head
>>
>>85661842
>'Bono Jr'

Achtung Baby, Zooropa and the ZooTV tour were genuinely groundbreaking, genuinely prescient cultural achievements.
As groundbreaking and prescient as mass-consumed pop culture can get, anyway.
Pearl Jam was just hair metal in flannel and torn jeans.
>>
>>85662075
>i'm a homosexual
cool story, brah
>>
>>85662136
I think homosexuals are filthy animals, to be perfectly honest with you.
>>
>>85657564
david foster wallace was one of the ironic fuckers on the planet
>>
>>85659786
Bret Easton Ellis is the epitome of bitchy cunt, fuck him
>>
>>85657564

I don't like how the only horror movies that get praised are ironic and self-aware
>>
I moved past irony. I'm at some sort of extreme sincerity stage where I exaggerate my viewpoints and actions.
>>
>>85662333
the conjuring? the babadook? goodnight mommy? come to think of it, cabin in the woods is the ONLY praised horror movie i know of thats self aware
>>
>>85662356
>im not ironic, im just at a stage where im purposefully overly sincere and aware of it

?
>>
>>85662214
>to be perfectly honest with you
no one asked you

are you doing some kind of american psycho roleplay to get props from fellow Ellisfags btw? i don't understand this bit.
>>
File: 26SEGEL-master315.jpg (19KB, 315x229px) Image search: [Google]
26SEGEL-master315.jpg
19KB, 315x229px
What did you all think of Jason Segel's performance as DFW in the inevitable biopic?
>>
>>85662307
you can call him a prick (he seems like one publically, but privately he might be different) but bitchy isn't exactly the right word. he's diatribe-prone and arguably outright rude but his words lack the passive aggressiveness needed to be bitchy. DFW just sounds like a huge pussy at all times. he's a competent author and clearly intelligent, but he isn't some once-in-a-millenia genius of Shakesperean proportions that he's made out to be.
>>
>>85661270
Shame Ellis hasn't written anything worthwhile since American Psycho

>b-b-but he's memeing it up in LA!
>is generally seen as a hack by most in the writing community
>can't get a project greenlit to save his life
>has become a total shadow and parody of his former self
>>
>>85662421
Best performance of his career, though it isn't saying much. Still really good though. Made that film worth watching
>>
>>85662524
Glamorama was great and Lunar Park was good, they both provide a context for Psycho that makes you further analyze the surrealness of it. The Less than Zero sequal was okay, nothing special. Whenever I see him in the news he's calling out faggy nonsense from Hollywood types and I agree with him. His podcast is good too although I haven't listened to it in a while.
>>
I have serious problems keeping up with the conversations in this thread. It might be that english is not my first language or i'm just a retard.
Is that ironic or sincere?
>>
>>85662061
I am a panda at the zoo.
>>
>>85663172
>It might be that english is not my first language
you don't know whether it is or not?
>english is not my first language OR i'm just a retard
why the redundancy?
>>
>>85663403
cringe
>>
>>85661562
go back to /lit/ you pseud
>>
>>85663403
Is this autism or are you trying to insult me?
>>
>>85663482
thanks, Merkel
>>
>>85663399
based dissocative personality poster. realize that we're all in cages, it's just that some are larger than others
>>85663403
you're an idiot, you misparsed his sentence in a vain and pathetic attempt to sound smart
>>
>>85662513
Sure but thats not his fault people see him that way. It's sort of thrust upon him imo
>>
>>85657564

If this thread gets five more posts, I will spoil the most significant plot points of Infinite Jest in all caps without spoilers. I know none of you pseuds have actually read it.
>>
>>85664114
>plot points are important
wew lad
>>
>>85664151
on second thought, you're right. someone who'd read Wallace would care about muh spoilers.
>>
>>85664114
What a risk..
Like they ever going to read it anyway.
>>
>>85664151

I will spoil the content of The Entertainment, Orin’s ultimate role in the story, the arc of James Incandenza, etc.
>>
>David Foster Wallace, the critically acclaimed American writer who took his own life in 2008, has been described as "the most tedious, overrated, tortured, pretentious writer of my generation" by American Psycho author Bret Easton Ellis.

>Ellis, no stranger to provoking controversy with his comments, laid into Foster Wallace on Twitter this morning, calling him "a fraud", and "the best example of a contemporary male writer lusting for a kind of awful greatness that he simply wasn't able to achieve".

But "Saint David Foster Wallace", according to Ellis, is read by "fools": "a generation trying to read him feels smart about themselves which is part of the whole bullshit package".

>The late author, who took his own life in 2008, is the subject of a new biography by DT Max, Every Love Story is a Ghost Story. Ellis told his 300,000-odd Twitter followers that he was in the middle of reading the book, and " OMG is the solemnity of the David Foster Wallace myth on a purely literary level borderline sickening".

>"Anyone who finds David Foster Wallace a literary genius has got to be included in the, Literary Doucebag-Fools Pantheon [sic]," said Ellis. "David Foster Wallace carried around a literary pretentiousness that made me embarrassed to have any kind of ties to the publishing scene … I continue to find David Foster Wallace the most tedious, overrated, tortured, pretentious writer of my generation."

> The author, whose 1,000-page novel Infinite Jest is seen as his masterpiece, said Ellis, "was so needy, so conservative, so in need of fans – that I find the halo of sentimentality surrounding him embarrassing."
>>
File: DFWshitstorm.jpg (342KB, 1838x1209px) Image search: [Google]
DFWshitstorm.jpg
342KB, 1838x1209px
>>
>>85664306
it's beautiful
>>
File: Pinkerton_cover.jpg (14KB, 307x300px) Image search: [Google]
Pinkerton_cover.jpg
14KB, 307x300px
Is this sincerity? What about Pet Sounds? American Football?
>>
>>85660772
I'd say it is. Lynch mostly avoids irony.
>>
i've been wholly post ironic for a bit now and its a better way to live
>>
>>85658262
Keep cowering behind a wall of irony and metacommentary because you're too weak and insecure to allow your true thoughts and opinions to be subject to criticism.
Believe me, none of us care.
>>
>>85659786
source? I'm just now reading Infinite Jest for the first time and having read a couple of BEE's works I could see how he just wouldn't care for him at all. BEE's prose is antithetical to DFW but they are both self-important. I've never seen any evidence that BEE every associated with DFW though. I've seen BEE criticize DFW for too deparately wanting a cult of personality after reading a biography on him in like 2011 (I think). That's it. As far as I know they didn't know each other personally.
>>
welcome to the water
>>
i have never read a book after finishing high school
>>
There is literally nothing wrong with enjoying IJ as a genre novel. Prove me wrong. That's as sincere as you can get: enjoying the story and the words used to tell it.
>>
>>85661270
More like
>DFW- singles
>BEE- gets digits
Our guy indeed.
>>
>>85664296
Did DFW cuck Ellis or something? That's a lot of butthurt.
>>
>>85664296
why's he so mad though?
>>
File: ass.jpg (35KB, 230x307px) Image search: [Google]
ass.jpg
35KB, 230x307px
Irony is literally and unironically only funny when we do it

I sincerely love you all
Thread posts: 75
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.