[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Jodorowsky on NWR "savior of cinema"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 269
Thread images: 38

File: alenwr.png (277KB, 500x334px) Image search: [Google]
alenwr.png
277KB, 500x334px
>Superman makes me vomit- Batman, all that. That whole empire- this religion, I don’t give a damn. I shit on the United States. Cinema is on its way to degenerate as an industry and it’s all thanks to America. This octopus with eight arms, this cancer that American film is- has infected the entire planet. It’s just a bunch of spiritual excrement. And when you see how films radiate the same spiritual excrement ushered in by the likes of Spielberg and Lucas, you begin to lose hope. So when you discover an artist like Refn- an artist who can survive in this environment uncontaminated- that is a moment of great joy. This lad, Niclas, has saved me from my film depression.

How does this make you feel?
>>
>>85610209
I like Refn, I liked the Holy Mountain, but whenever I hear what Jodorowsky has to say about film the more I think he's an idiot.

It makes me feel bored. He's just another doomsaying bullshitter. I hoped he would be more interesting. Oh well.
>>
>>85610209
>/v/ and /tv/ on suicide watch
Capeshit cucks BTFO
>>
>switched to digital
>thinks refn is not absolute shit

fucking dropped
>>
>>85610308
>He's just another doomsaying bullshitter
you don't think cinema as a whole has gotten worse? it's an objective fact that there are less better films now than there was even as recently as the 90s
>>
File: 44774564.jpg (75KB, 754x353px) Image search: [Google]
44774564.jpg
75KB, 754x353px
>>
Jodorowsky strikes me as the kind of guy who would revere his friends' work no matter what.
>>
>>85610209

I've always said Refn is kubricks heir
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sB_TUdkfIEw
I can't decide who talks more shit in this video...unreal
>>
>>85610209
>this was followed by Refn crying for half an hour before jodorosky calming him with psychomagic and tarots
>>
>>85610308
>Calls him doomsday bullshitter
>Ignores the fact that studios actually support only great economic hits otherwise they would lose money
>No more artistic films will be made because nothing can guarantee an economic success on weird looking shit execs wouldn't understand

He is right, that's why you have formulaic movies every year, same thing with the shows

Jodorowsky while being a psychomagic and tarot bullshitter, it does.not mean that he is wrong, studios control whatever is made or not.
>>
File: 2809226-kojimabeard.jpg (63KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
2809226-kojimabeard.jpg
63KB, 640x640px
Nicolas Winding Refn
Director: Drive, Only God Forgives

Watching the trailers for Metal Gear Solid V makes you wonder if the spirits of Dostoyevsky, Stanley Kubrick, and Caravaggio entered Hideo Kojima’s body because, using the art of gaming as his canvas, he boldly goes where no one has gone before.

The trailers for Metal Gear Solid V prove once again that Hideo Kojima is a master at portraying a wider and more complex view of human nature combined with breathtaking action sequences. A daring and bold move from one of the founders of the future of technology. With Metal Gear Solid V, Hideo Kojima has created the perfect marriage of cinematic storytelling and cutting edge gaming technology. For me, it all culminates into one word: Genius.
>>
File: CicakOMWkAEcvfH.jpg (40KB, 600x384px) Image search: [Google]
CicakOMWkAEcvfH.jpg
40KB, 600x384px
>you will never hang out with them
>why even
>>
If Jodo ever gave me a compliment, and my name isn't Jean Giraud, then I'd stop doing what i was doing and do the exact opposite

And then mock Jodo for being a whiny cunt abused by his father and jealous of the Americans in Chile
>>
>>85610308
What else did you expect from a pretensious hack?
>>
>>85610209
He's right, but there are much better directors than Refn from America, such as PTA (granted PTA is woefully unappreciated by Hollywood.)

On a side note, you guys should see The Player by Robert Altman.
>>
When I wanted to do the rape scene, I explained to [Mara Lorenzio] that I was going to hit her and rape her. There was no emotional relationship between us, because I had put a clause in all the women's contracts stating that they would not make love with the director. We had never talked to each other. I knew nothing about her. We went to the desert with two other people: the photographer and a technician. No one else. I said, 'I'm not going to rehearse. There will be only one take because it will be impossible to repeat. Roll the cameras only when I signal you to.' Then I told her, 'Pain does not hurt. Hit me.' And she hit me. I said, 'Harder.' And she started to hit me very hard, hard enough to break a rib... I ached for a week. After she had hit me long enough and hard enough to tire her, I said, 'Now it's my turn. Roll the cameras.' And I really... I really... I really raped her. And she screamed."
>>
>>85610209
Who about who?
>>
File: KvS.jpg (719KB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
KvS.jpg
719KB, 1536x2048px
>>85610703
think again sweetie
>>
File: 1500741874010.png (395KB, 719x771px) Image search: [Google]
1500741874010.png
395KB, 719x771px
>>85611139
>>
>>85611139
Good filmmaker or great filmmaker?
>>
>>85610443
What a bullshit nostalgia post. Bad films were always made, you just think of all the great ones like they happened in a single year.

>it's an objective fact that there are less better films now than there was even as recently as the 90s
Absolutely ignorant bullshit. The year 2007 alone has better films than half of the 90s
>No Country for Old Men (2007)
>There Will Be Blood (2007)
>The Assassination of Jesse James (2007)
>Zodiac (2007)
>Eastern Promises (2007)
>Before The Devil Knows You're Dead (2007)
>>
>>85610406
>Film makes it automatically good

Fuck off hipster.
>>
He has bad taste. Most American film, and especially Hollywood and capetrash, is indeed shit. But Refn is a glorified music video director. He's never made a good film except the one he didn't write.

But if you're only qualification for "good" is sparse dialogue, lingering camera, and not generic Hollywood shit, then sure you'd find hacks like Refn and McQueen good. Even Villenueve, and Inarritu. That's the Quadrumvirate of Pseudocinema right now.
>>
>>85611341
what exactly is wrong with refn, mcqueen etc beyond the criticism that their works are pretentious and masturbatory

their movies are solid i think..not like GOAT status but very solid
>>
>>85611269
>Bad films were always made
show me in my post where i said otherwise
>>85611269
>you just think of all the great ones like they happened in a single year.
show me in my post where i said this
>citing the same meme movies from the same meme year

let's see:

>NCFOM
>release date: november 9
>TWBB
>release date: december 26
>TAOJJ
>release date: september 21
>Zodiac
>release date: March 2
>Eastern promises
>release date: September 14
>BTDKYD
>release date: October 12

let's exclude zodiac since it's an outlier in terms of release date.

that's 5 great movies in a span of 4 months

since "great" movies typically come out in the fall for award season let's take a look at last year's epic fall releases:

>la la land
meh
>moonlight
bad
>arrival
meh
>nocturnal animals
good
>manchester by the sea
okay
>I, daniel blake
good
>toni erdmann
good
>paterson
good
>lion
shit
>hacksaw ridge
shit
>fences
shit
>hidden figures
shit

so you're telling me the best movies of 2016 that came out in the same time span as 2017 are equivalent in quality? gtfo faggot
>>
>>85611328
have you watched jodorowsky's recent efforts? you can totally make digital work. he just didn't.
>>
>>85610855
>>No more artistic films will be made because nothing can guarantee an economic success on weird looking shit execs wouldn't understand
This is bullshit. Now it's easier to make and distribute independent films that it ever was thanks to digital technology, the same as with music. Before this, the studios were the only ones making movies and you had to suck their dick to make even the shittiest film, or at least get it distributed.
The problem with big studios, and with big music labels is that they're becoming obsolete (the music got hit hard much more than film because it's much easier to produce and distribute). If anything, he should be praising the fall of the studio system and the raise of true independent filmmaking.
>>
>>85611341
Couldn't have said it better myself. Refn, Aronofsky, PTA are all the same tripe. Innaritu and Cuaron are the same tripe. And now we have a brilliant new hack of a director, Damien Chazelle to throw into the mix. And so it continues.

Cinema really has fallen. Yet most people on /tv/ have bad enough taste that they can't even see this.
>>
>>85611882
Who are your favorite directors?
>>
File: ptafanslol.png (72KB, 801x555px) Image search: [Google]
ptafanslol.png
72KB, 801x555px
Also here's another, just for fun.
>>
>>85611607
Holy fuck now this is true actual autism.
Yes my fellow turboautist, not every single year in film is completely equivalent in quality.
I could take one bad year from your precious 90s too and talk how they are bad as a whole, that means nothing.
>>
>>85611906
Kubrick, Welles, Ford, and so on. I'm not some hipster "muh classics" loser, I approach every contemporary film I watch with a lack of bias and a strong desire/hope that it will be good, but rarely do they ever impress me. I want to be impressed by them, but rarely do manage to do so.

I just think it's undeniable that the generation of directors back then had such a greater understanding of the human experience and how to distill it into a film. Their imaginations were far more vivid. They just had a better understanding of what CINEMA was supposed to be. I don't think this understanding can be taught or really even learnt, I consider those directors to be innately talented, hence why I can't even really complain if today's directors don't measure up, because I think that we essentially have to "wait" until the next set of visionaries pop up - there is absolutely no way of forcing them into existence, they'll arrive when they arrive.

Commercial cinema has fallen lower and lower with each subsequent generation. There was the generation of masters - Kubrick (personal favorite), Welles, Ford, Kurosawa, Fellini, etc. The next generation brought Spielberg, Scorsese, Coppola, etc, who are good directors but certainly not on the level of the previous generation - cinema has lost some of its resonance, some of its depth. Then today we have the likes of Tarantino, Nolan, PTA, Coens, and so on. Who are all very hit-and-miss, undoubtedly worse than the previous generation of Spielberg's and Scorsese's, unable to truly understand the human experience and put it onto the screen. Their imaginations just aren't that vivid, and if they are - they haven't demonstrated an ability to capture it on-screen. I'm also only discussing COMMERCIAL cinema, btw.

I hope the next generation of directors reverses this trend, but like I said it comes down to innate talent so it isn't something anyone has any control over. Sorry for the novel and ramblings, hope I made my views clear.
>>
>>85611507
Thwy're good movies but nowhere near as good as they like to think they are. Especially McQueen's 12 Years a Slave and Inarritu in general.
>>
I really like that Refn likes to takes chances with his films, any other director would have tried the easy way out and make garbage thar appeals to normies.
Like Tarantino when he made no money with Jackie Brown then makes kill bill and IB.
No wonder he was just fucking jelly at the cannes reception of refn.

Refn instead goes the opposite way after drive.
That takes balls. Beyond the objective quality of his films thats is something to respect.
>>
>>85612510
Kill yourself
>>
>>85612179
im talking about trends faggot. chart the quantity of good films a year on a graph and it will have a declining slope.
>>85612326
lol your hate for cringy PTA fans is equivalent to the hate that older people had for Kubrick fans in the 60s-80s. shut the fuck up faggot
>>
>>85610703
kek
>>
>>85612326
Coens and PTA are as good as Spielberg, Scorsese and coppolla.

Malick, Lynch and cronenberg are all operating at their top levels. The 90s and 2000s had masters like kiarastomi and WKW come out with multiple masterpieces (both of those directors are far better than Kubrick btw) . There's tons of great modern directors like farhadi, bilge ceylan, weerskathul, tsai Ming liang , hou hsiao, Kim ki duk, assayas, jia zhangke etc who are better than many of the so called "masters" you're talking about

Your entire post is shit and you clearly know nothing about cinema
>>
>>85612909
It's more like a cycle of good and bad films, not a steadily declining graph.
Same goes for any artform really.
>>
>>85612326
Your problem is you're only talking about America. There's great commercial cinema coming out of places like Korea, France and Hong Kong.
>>
>>85613168
it's unbelievable how ignorant you are
>>
>>85610209
I get the first part, buf Refn? The fuck?

The cunt does pseudo intellectual action movies.
>>
>>85611607
You forgot to mention sieranevada, graduation, the salesman, the red turtle, lady Macbeth, certain women, things to come, personal shopper, Aquarius, love and friendship, embrace of the serpent , etc. All great films. 2016 was a great year for film
>>
>>85611341
>pseudocinema
Kubrick is the absolute master of pseudocinema. The fact that plebs still bring him up alongside actual good directors like Bresson, Osu, Tarkovsky and Bergman is hilarious. Kubrick was the original hack.
>>
somebody post that image with bergman and tarkovsky and james cameron and zack snyder
>>
>>85613304
>sieranevada
never seen
>the salesman
asfar is a hack
>graduation
DUDE RUSSIAN LIFE IS SO HARD LMAO
>the red turtle
havent seen but looks like shit
>lady macbeth
saw this one last week, another DUDE THE 1800s WAS SO HARD N SHIT LOOOK AT ALL THESE AFFAIRS LMAO
>things to come
shit film save for the kaczynski scene, that was pretty funny. most huppert movies out now are 5-6/10-tier
>personal shopper
this was one of the worst films ive ever seen in my life. almost as bad as cloud of sils maria
>certain women
this was actually good
>aquarius
havent seen
>love and friendship
boring
>embrace of the serpent
good
>>
>>85612326
>Kubrick
Complete hack. Anyone who thinks he's anything more than a mediocre genre director knows nothing about cinema. Michael Mann is unironically a better director than Kubrick.
>Welles
Highly overrated, mostly style over substance.
>Ford
Actually good, but seems to be the only pre-50s American director plebs can mention and forget about Griffith, Hawks, Wilder, etc.
>Kurosawa
Literally the worst popular Japanese director of his era
>fellini
Most Italians were hacks, fellini is no exception. Never made a good film. Coens are far better
>>
>>85613477
>graduation
>Russian
Your opinions are trash.

Assayas is a better filmmaker than Kubrick btw
>>
File: rape von trier.jpg (597KB, 1500x960px) Image search: [Google]
rape von trier.jpg
597KB, 1500x960px
Well done, Nicholas, well done. HOWEVER
>>
>>85610209
>It’s just a bunch of spiritual excrement

So are your "films" jodo
>>
>>85613477
Nice googling faggot
>>
>>85613109
>Coens and PTA are as good as Spielberg, Scorsese

Stopped reading there, sorry. You sound like one of the idiots in the screencaps I posted above. PTA has never made anything close to a Taxi Driver, nor will he ever. TWBB is a very, very average film, with an atrocious ending, yet you probably consider it "masterful", and a "profound allegory for the destructive nature of capitalism", since that's what all the pseud critics convinced themselves it was in order to make their own egos look better. PTA has made nothing but mediocrity his entire career, but his reliance on gimmicks like long takes and ensemble casts have likely fooled you into thinking that automatically makes his films great. Films like No Country for Old Men are great, but still don't quite reach the heights of something like Taxi Driver.

Alright, let me read the rest of your awful post.

>Malick, Lynch
Both are far, far out of their prime. What the hell do you mean "operating at their top levels"?

>Kiarastomi and WKW are far better than Kubrick

Alright, well, thanks for making this much easier for me. I can end this post here, knowing fully what a clueless person I'm talking to.

I will say that I haven't heard of most of the directors you mentioned at the bottom, but if their films aren't "commercial" it doesn't matter since I specified COMMERCIAL cinema in my above post. I also doubt that they'd be "better" than anyone I mentioned, even if they happen to be good. I will check them out though, since you've clearly seen more films than I have. Even though depth-of-knowledge is far more important than breadth-of-knowledge, you possess the latter but not much of the former.

Anyway, I wish you no harm. Have a good day.
>>
>>85613618
>Assayas is a better filmmaker than Kubrick btw
lol
>>85613667
im sorry anon if those are the best a year has to offer then it's a shit year
>>
>>85613413
>>Tarkovsky
Lmao, Tarkovsky literally saw 2001 and felt he had to make a boring, discounted version of it, yet he's the "good" director, and the man who created 2001 in the first place is the "hack"?

Incredible, incredible reasoning skills there.
>>
>>85610981
>Hideo Kojima is a master at portraying a wider and more complex view of human nature
>>
>>85613707
Taxi driver and last temptation of Christ are better than any PTA or coens film but overall PTA and Coens are far more consistent than Scorsese or Spielberg. Neither of them have made films as bad as say the departed, and the master, blood simple and Barton fink are close to the level of taxi driver.

Malick and Lynch are far from out of their primes considering they both made the best movies of their careers in the 21st century. Lynchs last 3 films are in his top 4. The tree of life is better than anything Scorsese, Kubrick or Spielberg ever made .

Kubrick is plebs first favorite director. He honestly can't compare to the level of kiarastomi, wkw , Bergman, dreyer, tarkovsky, bresson, etc. I'd highly recommend you expand your tastes before you start talking shit. It's honestly hilarious how you're so self confident in your opinion yet have not seen any of the truly great works of art in the film medium . Oh and WKW is just as "commercial" as Kubrick, which is a dumb way of looking at cinema anyways . Good filmmakers aren't looking to make "commercial" films, even guys like Spielberg and Scorsese
>>
>>85613903
If you think 2001 is better than Solaris you know absolutely nothing about cinema
>>
File: youreanidiot.png (108KB, 1161x628px) Image search: [Google]
youreanidiot.png
108KB, 1161x628px
>>85613583
Lmao, a simple google search for Michael Mann will take you to his Wikipedia page, where his "Early Life" section on literally a single paragraph dominated by him claiming that Dr. Strangelove was the film that inspired him to make movies, basically just him praising Kubrick and talking about how much of an impact he had on him.

You're just a dumb contrarian, 4chan is unfortunately filled to the brim with people like you.
>>
>>85613974
the tree of life is fuckin shit m8
>>
File: terry.jpg (142KB, 344x505px) Image search: [Google]
terry.jpg
142KB, 344x505px
>>85614148
>the tree of life is fuckin shit m8
>>
>>85611935
PTA is better than Kubrick.
>>
>>85613974
kiarostami made two good movies, bergman is kubrick for european faggots, tarkovsky made 3 good movies, bresson made 1 good movie, you are a faggot
>>
>>85614127
Is contrarian just another word for having your own opinions?
>>
>>85614127
Why do I think I used the specific example of Michael Mann? Because he's a Kubrick-like director who's surpassed Kubrick. Directors can surpass their influences. By your logic why are you even mentioning Kubrick instead of ophuls and Fritz Lang?
>>
>>85614027
The former is one of the most revolutionary films in the history of cinema, literally changing special effects and the science fiction genre forever, becoming the backbone of it even 50 years later. The latter is merely one of the dozens of films that only came into existence after its creator saw the former, which tried to rival its genius, did not do so (Tarkovsky's own admission), yet still made a thought-provoking and beautiful film.

YOU know nothing about cinema.
>>
>>85614219
Kubrick made 0 good movies and you're a pleb. Kubrick films have pretty much nothing in common with Bergman films, maybe try watching them sometime
>>
>>85614328
>influencing special effects makes for a great work of art
Citizen Kane is hugely influential too, it's still not an amazing film. Solaris actually has depth unlike the bland 2001.

By your logic both 2001 and Solaris are shit compared to metropolis
>>
>>85611139
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUrd-VWiBZM
>>
>"this director is bad and you're a pleb"
>"no your director is shit and YOU are a pleb!"

The state of this board. You guys are so fucking pathetic.
>>
>>85614298
Because in what effing way has he surpassed Kubrick?????????? Do tell me. Cinematography, use of sound, narrative, casting, all things which Kubrick left a deep footprint on, in what fucking respect has Mann even come close to Kubrick in any avenue?What fucking film does Mann have that even compares to something like 2001?

Have your own opinions, sure, but you just have no clue what you're talking about and that's my problem with you.

>>85614228
Nope, it's when people deliberately go against an understood truth for the sake of being different, and not because they can actually validate that claim of theirs with a strong argument.
>>
>>85614328
thought-provoking

off yourself
>>
>>85614472
it's always been this way

t. here since 2009
>>
>>85614509
>Kubrick left a deep imprint on casting and narrative
Lmao

Please watch some foreign cinema and stop jerking off to this overrated hack

Kubrick relied so much on special effects and neat camera tricks yet couldn't make a film nearly as good as The Passion of Joan of arc
>>
Kubrickfags need to at least graduate high school before trying to talk about cinema
>>
>>85614669
>implying Malcolm McDowell's casting in ACO isn't one of the most fitting lead casting choices ever
>implying 2001 didn't introduce a new form of narrative into cinema

I'll watch more foreign films, sure, doesn't mean you have to discredit a genuinely brilliant director like Kubrick in order to prop up said foreign cinema. They can both be great, can't they? Also no, all of those "camera tricks" were grounded in ideas connected to the film (like the free-flowing camera usage in ACO, for example), he was never masturbatory with camera the way so many directors today are.
>>
File: 1499425057071.jpg (34KB, 800x627px) Image search: [Google]
1499425057071.jpg
34KB, 800x627px
>All the plebs opinions on this thread.

Instead of jerking off to kubrick watch some fucking movies please.
No wonder PTA is considered the new kubrick by millennials.
>>
>>85614717
True, and it's just a "coincidence" that of all the directors following him, he happens to be the one most of them refer back to as heavily impacting them. Spielberg, Scorsese, Mann, PTA, Nolan, Tarantino, Refn, the list goes on.
Welles himself called Kubrick a "giant".

Sure buddy, I'm just a highschooler faggot who knows nothing about cinema for liking Kubrick, but by your own logic most of the actual directors that worked in cinema the past few generations are also highschooler faggots who know nothing about cinema.

I guess it's only you who knows about good cinema then, not me nor any of the people who are currently or have previously worked in it.
>>
>>85613109
best post in this thread by far.
>>
>>85614992
>lists only Hollywood filmmakers
Maybe try watching the directors that Kubrick loved and desperately tried to imitate.

Look Kubrick is a good director , but he's nowhere near the greatest ever, I doubt he's even top 25. He's hopelessly overrated because he's the first "art" director people hear of. A lot of the top directors in Europe during Kubricks heyday actually had negative opinions about him.
>>
Kubrickfags are honestly pathetic.
>Muh speshul effects
>Muh natural lighting
Kubrick was so devoid of real thought he couldn't even make a film that was devoid of genre trappings. The closest he came to actual art was eyes wide shut
>>
>>85615336
I'm abandoning this thread now, but I will admit to having seen less movies than the people in this thread, and even though I feel I have strong understanding of what I've seen, I haven't seen as much as I should have. I love Kubrick but perhaps he's only so incredible because it's all relative to what I've seen thus far. I will check other films out. Can you give me some directors and films to watch?
>>
>>85615397
Shoo shoo, there's a Twin Peaks general waiting for you, brainlet
>>
>>85614854
Jesus Christ are kubrickfags honestly this delusional? Metropolis predated 2001 by 40 years. And Kubrick casted Ryan o Neal, Tom cruise and Nicole Kidman in his films
>>
File: Neon-Demon-B.jpg (33KB, 717x300px) Image search: [Google]
Neon-Demon-B.jpg
33KB, 717x300px
Question. I rewatched Neon Demon yesterday and I was left carving for more. Can you recommend more movies that use mainly the visual medium to tell a history? Or work with shock value? I've seen many things by Tarkovsky and also fucking love them. NWR really reminds me of him. I'm about to watch The Cure For Wellness which I heard is really like Neon Demon.
>Inb4 Lynch
Already saw most of his work and I believe Neon Demon takes many things from Mulholland Dr.
But the photography is just so much better with NWR
>>
>>85614854
>>implying Malcolm McDowell's casting in ACO isn't one of the most fitting lead casting choices ever
>Kubrickfags actually believe this
Imagine how good barry Lyndon could've been if Kubrick cast someone with charisma in the lead role instead of Ryan fucking o Neal. The funniest part is how fucking Walter hill was able to get a better performance put of o neal than kubrick.

The only good casting Kubrick ever did was r Lee ermey and he lucked out with that one
>>
>>85615493
and you're incapable of recognizing how brilliantly tom cruise and nicole kidman's casting in EWS worked in accordance with the themes of the film, regarding infidelity in relationships, as well as giving the film a sort of meta-message that applies to real life? seeing as how they broke up sometime after the making of it.

you're unable to see that? you simply see "tom cruise, nicole kidman" and your brain automatically thinks "bad, those are bad actors, bad, it's bad, it is bad, must be bad" rather than recognizing the possible vision behind casting those two and how it corresponded with the specific film in question?

Also what the fuck does Metropolis have to do with SPACE you imbecile, just because they're science fiction and Kubrick borrowed some style from Lang, doesn't mean that 2001 isn't a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT FILM you fucking idiot
>>
>>85615570
Jodorwsky, early cronenberg, late era melville, early Scott, Bergman, noe, Cocteau, kar wai, zhang yimou, John woo
>>
>>85615697
"Meta" is the lowest form of symbolism . Eyes wide shut can't stand on its own because it uses hackeyed symbolism regarding the real relationship between the stars. PTA was able to get a good performance out of cruise but Kubrick wasn't. The casting only makes sense if you knew about the real relationship which requires you to have tabloid knowledge about the stars, which is ridiculous .

Dreyer is actually someone who knew how to cast, which is why you never saw a bad performance in any of his films. the same can unfortunately not be said about Kubrick.
>>
>>85615592
so Keir Dullea wasn't perfectly cast as the bright-eyed, clean-looking astronaut Dave Bowman? or Cruise as the

or Nicholson as Jack Torrance? Shelley Duvall as his wife?

Sue Lyon as Lolita? James Mason as Humbert Humbert?

Peter Sellers as all the brilliant, unforgettable roles he played in Strangelove?

Kirk Douglas in Paths?

This thread proves to me that even though I've seen less films than you guys, I clearly understand film much much much better than most of you, for you to call me a "kubrickfag" and then embarrass yourself by denying what are clearly brilliant, iconic casting choices all across the board of his filmography, with two cherry picking faggots bringing up his casting of Ryan O Neal and ignoring the outstanding casting choices in all the rest of his films. fuck all of you, you know nothing about cinema and no amount of films watched can give you an actual understanding of what makes a film work or not
>>
>>85615697
What is the new form of narrative that 2001 introdued into cinema? The funny thing is I actually like Kubrick but unlike you I can see that he's not the greatest, most revolutionary director of all time. He made some good films sure , but he never reached the levels of bresson, ozu, dryer etc. He was too methodical to actually tap into real emotion the way the greats did. Just compare his treatise on the youth a clockwork Orange with bressons le diable probablement and you'll see what I mean.
>>
>>85616050

can you name another film which jumps time the way 2001 does? directly from the prehistoric era to the future era?

i never said he was the greatest, just said he's very good and people shouldn't discredit him bc of his popularity. i'll leave this thread now, and i'll watch your bresson film
>>
File: mfwplebsgetbtfobygod.jpg (62KB, 1265x860px) Image search: [Google]
mfwplebsgetbtfobygod.jpg
62KB, 1265x860px
>>85614148
>>
>>85615950
>>85615950
I'm not cherry picking, I was bringing up the most egregious examples of Kubricks mediocre casting. He made some good choices like Nicholson, sellers etc but I can't believe your actually defending Shelley Duvall and James mason .

Sue Lyons was okay, but the rest of Lolita was horribly miscast , especially sellers.

Kirk Douglas in paths of glory wasn't even up to Kubrick.

You might've at least have mentioned donofrio in FMJ which was a good one.

PTA is better at casting his movies than Kubrick is.
>>
>>85613477
Please make a list of good 90s movies for me to DUDE LMAO the fuck out of them.
>>
>>85611269
>2007 alone has better films than half of the 90s
2007 was a good year in films. the two years before that are less so.

Every 10 years or so there is a bunch films that come out and really meet the test of time.

98 had The Truman Show, Saving Private Ryan, Thin Red Line, A Simple Plan, Life Is Beautiful and so on.

Movies happen in cycles
>>
>>85616343
dont bother, you haven't seen any of them
>>
>>85615950
>or Nicholson as Jack Torrance
Kubrick himself didn't like him at first, i heard. Thought that his appearance has something crazy and hellish from the get-go, which went contrary to his plans.
>>
>>85616381
2006 had cache, volver, the new world, the Sun, the host and 2046 all of which are better than the movies you brought up. Like life is beautiful? Seriously? That's the 90s equivalent of the help
>>
>>85613304
>sieranevada, graduation, the salesman, the red turtle, lady Macbeth, certain women, things to come, personal shopper, Aquarius, love and friendship, embrace of the serpent
Pulling out obscure films just shows that you are trying to project that you are smart. Movies can be missed in the movies but later find a audience with home viewing, but if when it around for home viewing and can't find a audience, it not as good as people pretend it is.
>>
>>85616544
Says the guy who hasn't seen sieranevada or Aquarius
>>
>>85616544
>implying that would stop the dudelmaoing
>>
File: tumblr_o0pe21gts51u998mto1_500.jpg (41KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o0pe21gts51u998mto1_500.jpg
41KB, 500x500px
>no Refn directed BatGirl
>no Refn directed Wonder Woman (with hendricks)

well what character will WB give him?? Power Girl/ Bat Woman/ Black Canary?
>>
>>85616207
Duvall was perfectly cast in The Shining. Her, Nicholson, and the kid made for a perfect picture of this very odd, dysfunctional family with a clearly unstable, unpredictable father, a caring but clueless wife, and an innocent yet troubled little boy inbetween them, who unfortunately is at the receiving end of his father's erratic behavior, possibly doomed to end up like him in the future. Duvall perfectly fit this image of a clueless but kind wife/mom who loves her husband but clearly doesn't have much respect for herself or the intelligence to recognize that her husband hates her and it'd be best for her and her kid to leave him.

and I say all this as someone who doesn't even really like The Shining, I find it very gimmicky, but the casting is spot on all across the board. Watch the opening car sequence again, the first shot of the family inside the vehicle tells you basically everything you need to know about what will ensue over the course of the film.

http://www.cinemasterpieces.com/92010a/lolitajul10.jpg

This is one of the most iconic posters of any American film I've ever seen, Sue Lyon as the playful, tempting Lolita is clearly an unforgettable image, and even though the character in the film is different from the one in Nabokov's novel, it still captured many qualities associated with a "nymphet"-like girl, even if she wasn't as young as Nabokov's Lolita was.

PTA isn't better at anything than Kubrick is, I don't respect your opinion on film anymore after saying that. His use of Joaquin Pheonix isn't special, or his use of PSH, DDL in TWBB was a fitting choice but he made him overact like hell in many scenes, which was a waste of his potential. I don't think too much of the rest of his casting choices, just because he uses "ensembles" doesn't make him good at casting. Certainly not better than Kubrick - the guy he tries to imitate at every corner.
>>
>>85616693
>films by some of the most well regarded directors of today are obscure because I haven't seen them.
If you only watch films that are shown at the multiplex then you're not serious about cinema. All of those films have an audience.
>>
>>85616207
What the hell was wrong with James Mason as Humbert Humbert?
>>
>>85610703
and that's why you've always been clueless, anon
>>
>>85616777
The fact that people say PTA is similar to Kubrick infuriates me , he's been very open about imitating Altman his entire career. But then again, Kubrickfags have probably never seen an Altman film .
>>
>>85616741
just finished sieranevada it sucks shit 3/5
>>
>>85616777
>Kubrickfags are now giving him credit for the film posters of all things
Joaquin Phoenix as doc in inherent vice was a great casting choice.

Directors who are great at casting are guys like dreyer, bresson, Altman and cassavetes, not Kubrick who was always mediocre at that aspect. Like gee, what an inspired choice to have Jack Nicholson play a maniac.
>>
>>85616913
He's also been very open about his influence by Kubrick? He said that "it's tough to do anything he hasn't already done", and when I watch his films I see tons and tons and tons of K's influence on him, from the hospital scene in Inherent Vice being so copied from the psych ward setting in Clockwork, or the use of classical music in TWBB or Magnolia being obviously lifted from the Kubrick handbook, and so on. Literally his entire framing scheme is modeled after Kubrick. I have seen Altman's films and if you don't think he's clearly influenced by both Altman AND Kubrick, I have nothing to say to you. Call me a kubrickfag though, sure, I'm deeply hurt.
>>
>>85616826
You must of missed my "home viewing" comment. None of those movies have traction with audiences. I am not saying a movie has to be a crowd pleasing film, but it has to gain traction with viewers, or fails as a movie.

Also, to be blunt, I seen Personal Shopper and Lady Macbeth, and there nothing special. I will give credit that while I not seen The Red Turtle, it well regarded among the critics who seen it, unlike some of the others on your list.
>>
>>85616989
Still one of Nicholson's most memorable roles though, wasn't it? I agree it wasn't exactly difficult to cast Nicholson to an energy that everyone already knew him to embody, but it ultimately ended up as one of the most memorable roles he ever starred in, don't you think? Doesn't that alone say that Kubrick, while not making a "difficult" casting choice, still made a very good one?
>>
>>85613304
retarded post, the complain is about american cinema
>>
>>85616989
Also wasn't giving him credit for the film poster silly, I was using the film poster to provide a snapshot of Sue Lyon as Lolita, which, from looking at the poster, it would be very, very, very stupid to say that she didn't absolutely embody both the look and the playful energy that was befitting of Kubrick's version of the character. Watching the film only confirms this even further.
>>
>>85616989
You might want to recall that most of your "Jack Nicholson playing a manic" roles are AFTER the shining.
>>
If Refn is the "savior" of cinema, then cinema is truly doomed.
>>
>>85613583
>Welles is overrated
>Italians were hacks
shiggy diggy how contrarian can you get
>>
>>85617327
Thank you for adding some sense to this shithole of a thread. Most posters here have no clue about anything, and I hate to say that, because I honestly wish that they did, but they simply don't.
>>
>>85617085
Not him, but I must say, Kubrick himself is infleunced by many other directors. I think that this "cult" people do to him and Citizen Kane really closes minds. You should watch older movies, I'm not naming every movie that influenced him but pretty much anything from Fritz Lang, or any novel from Nabokov. You'll see that even though he innovated, he wasn't perfect at all. I see more love for filmmaking and crafting of history with little resources seen in movies like the original King Kong or Planet of the apes. Kubrick was just a purist, of course he made a lot, but he is not THE ICON OF EVERY MOVIE WOW HE'S EVERYWHERE. No, other directors influenced him. It's their work you see, not Kubricks. Art is the reinterpretation of things too. So, put ypur ego away, many people here study film and I'm sure some of us know enough to realize that Kubrick is not god.
>>
>>85617673

>Nabokov
Describe to me, in a simple concise sentence or paragraph or set of bullet points, how exactly Nabokov has any relation to Kubrick's work, asides from his adaptation of Lolita.

>Fritz Lang
I'm aware of the Lang influence, I acknowledged it earlier. You're overstating things greatly - Kubrick's use of music was highly original. So was his camerawork and lighting schemes. So were some of his narratives, like 2001. As was his set design - see 2001 again.

>It's their work you see, not his
Nah, now you're really pushing it. Kubrick has been influenced by others, like anyone else, but his films are still wholly his own, not mere pastiches of other people's styles like PTA's.

I don't think him to be a god - he is a giant of american cinema, who probably has more direct influence on the filmmakers working today than any of his contemporaries or people he was influenced by.
>>
>>85617093
>unlike some of the others on your list.
Sierenavada, graduation, love and friendship and embrace of the serpent were featured on many best of 2016 post a by extremely well respected critics. I saw all those films in theaters and there were tons of people in the theatre. Arthouse films have audiences
>>
>>85618059
Are you seriously trying to say Kubrick has more of an influence on American cinema than Lang, Welles or Griffith?
>>
>>85617093
>None of those movies have traction with audiences.
The Romanian new wave has a significant following. As it should, as it's where most of the best modern films are coming from
>>
>>85618342
Sure thing
>>
>>85618163
The only one I seen on any list of critics (and I am not even a american) that might be recalled in 5 years is Embrace of the Serpent.

Every year there are movies like Love and Freindship that are forgotten in 2 years, even if they might be well made films.

For example, does really anyone recall - Son of Saul, Tangerine, or 45 years from 2015? They don't as while all being good movies, they never made a lasting impression on movies, both to movie goers or inspiring the next generation of filmmakers.
>>
>>85618059
How are the coens pastiche of other people's style? The coens are just as good as Kubrick to be honest. Neither of them are close to the cinema greats, but they're pretty similar. You're highly overrating Kubrick while underrating coens and even Tarantino to be honest.
>>
>>85618193
Not even that guy, but modern fillmmakers are much more likely to get influenced by Lang or Griffith though Kubrick then directly.

Welles less so.
>>
>>85618193
Notice how I was careful to mention "direct" influence? That means that Kubrick's hand has directly touched the work of most the filmmakers today - i.e they saw his films, were inspired by them, then made their own work which lifted elements from his in some way.

I know all about the contributions of those 3 - Griffith introduced continuity editing, for example, something that has been in virtually any film following him so obviously everyone, including Kubrick, is using the blueprint handed down to him by a master like Griffith. But for people working in cinema today, most of them have not seen Griffith or Lang or Welles work, but have seen Kubrick's, and are directly influenced by it. Which implies indirect influence from Griffith, etc since like I just said Kubrick naturally used the techniques they pioneered. But that doesn't change the fact that Kubrick is the person that is influencing the vast majority of working directors today, which is an accomplishment of his own, even if he didn't revolutionize the medium to the extent those 3 did.
>>
>>85618435
So your basis of whether a film is good is whether people are going to remember it in five years ?

There are tons of "forgotten" films that are better than films with fervent followings. This has nothing to do with the quality of the film .

I personally do remember son of Saul because I thought it was a great film. Likewise I'm sure I'm going to remember sieranevada in 5 years, it's a fantastic film .
>>
>>85618524
The majority of filmmakers that Kubrick directly influenced are the ones you're shitting on- Nolan, Fincher, PTA etc

None of the best modern directors were influenced by Kubrick, they were influenced by actually great directors like Bergman, tarkovsky , ozu etc
>>
>>85618560

If a film is not remembered and does not impact audiences or fellow filmmakers then it cannot be a great film.

A masterwork that inspires no one is not a masterwork.
>>
I can't believe that someone who has never seen a Bresson film is trying to act like they know more about cinema than others
>>
>>85618448
I never said Coens? I said PTA. And no, Coens are certainly not close to Kubrick's level, but they are certainly good. What have the Coens even introduced into cinema that makes them as good as Kubrick? Anything in terms of narrative, cinematography, use of sound, set design, anything........?

I'm not underrating Tarantino, he is a hit-and-miss director. Of the 8 feature films he's made, only 4 can be said to be truly great (Pulp, Dogs, Basterds, Brown), with the rest being so far up its own ass it doesn't realize just how painfully mediocre it is (Kill Bill, etc). He has like a 50% success rate - so he's definitely a "hit or miss" director. Though like I said, his hits are definitely good and I think he's much better than other fanboyed directors working today like Nolan.
>>
>>85618628
Not even involved in this conversation but KEK
>>
>>85618632
I never said they were masterworks I said they were good films. Your point of view frabkly says that youre the type to not express an opinion about a fim until 10 years after its release where you can firmly state what the critical consensus is. That's pathetic.
>>
>>85618435
Tangerine's pretty influential on indie filmmakers because of the way it was shot - it's literally the only acclaimed movie shot on an iphone, and it doesn't look bad on top of that. Sean Baker got a bright future ahead of him.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3824458/technical
>>
>>85618704
My bad, thought you were the same dude shitting on coens and Tarantino earlier while claiming that Kubrick was a master.

But I personally think innovation is not equivalent to equality. The coens may not be nowhere near as innovative as Kubrick but I think the quality of their films is similar.
>>
>>85618435
Tangerine will go down as one of the most influential films of the 2010s mark my words
>>
>>85618704
Even if Nolan gets shit on /tv/, and I do not think he is the best director working, he is much more consistently good then a Tarantino.

Tarentino has films that do not work well, Nolan movies consistently work, even if some of his films have some of his well known flaws such as clunky writing.

Nolan gets hate since his fanboys are over the top, but he is a fine and consistent director.
>>
>>85618725
What about that statement is wrong?
>>
>>85618628
I'm aware of that. But the fact that HE'S the sole person that so many of these people look up to and try to emulate does say something to his brilliance. Or maybe that's a poor metric since the people in question could all be morons who are all inspired by a really really shit director. So influence alone can't be said to be a measure of quality. All I can say is that in this specific case, Kubrick is the director so many look up to because he captured the spirit of American cinema better than most others - the larger-than-life vision of his, infused with the philosophy that being commercial doesn't mean being unartistic, and as a result his works have struck a chord with many of the American filmmakers who followed him.

I agree that none of the best modern filmmakers were inspired by Kubrick, but as I proved earlier, influence alone cannot be seen as an indicator of quality, you have to look at the specific person in question and determine why it is that hey, of all people, happened to be the ones that so many others are influenced by. In Kubrick's case his films have clearly stood the test of time and I haven't looked into those filmmakers too much, but I don't think that Kubrick would be vastly beneath their caliber, even if they are indeed better. I can't comment on them yet.
>>
>>85618704
Kubrick is the definition of a hit and miss director. His only good films were 2001, eyes wide shut, Dr strangelove and barry Lyndon. Everything else ranges from shit to mediocre.
>>
>>85610209
Truer words have never been spoken.
>>
>>85619047
You're acting like some authority on film when the farthest extent of your knowledge is Kubrick. Kubrick was never the best working director at any point in his life.
>>
>>85618937
Consistent - yes. Consistently entertaining blockbusters. But taking them as serious films, they are consistently shallow and don't have nearly the same depth Tarantino's do. Just look at their writing - worlds apart. Tarantino knows how to consistently bring characters to life, Nolan only knows how to write the same dull, lifeless and static characters that only know how to repeat hackneyed cinematic phrases and one-liners in a completely serous manner, like Cooper and all the "it's necessary" or "murph" memes it's spawned. Tarantino has never made anything as atrocious as TDKR, so no, he is much better than Nolan at storytelling, Nolan is only better as a technician.
>>
>>85618769
First off, you did call them great, as they where "films that made 2016 a great year in film" which would imply that those films are great.

you do not need to wait five years on some films to know that they are great, when audiences and filmmakers and other artists are immediately impacted by the film.

I will use three examples.

Taxi Driver had a instant impact on filmgoers and filmmakers, so you did not have to wait five years to call it a great film. Some films have great impact instantly.

Just that if 5-10 years no one remembers the film and it doesn't influence other films, it clear to say that it not a great film, even if it well made.
>>
>>85619006
I guess I have to ask you who you think the best modern directors are.
>>
>>85619211
>never made anything as atrocious as TDKR
I guess you have a higher viewpoint of Kill Bill then I do.
>>
>>85611157
blatantly ripping off shots and set dressing doesn't make you an equal

Only difference between Snyder and WS Anderson is Snyder has a cult.
>>
File: Refn feels nothing.webm (3MB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
Refn feels nothing.webm
3MB, 960x540px
>150 posts
>no refn webeme kino
>>
>>85619246
Taxi driver was an English language film with two relatively big starlets at a time when that mattered. It was obviously going to have a longer reach than foreign films with unknowns.

It's been more than five years since Yi Yi came out and it hasn't really influenced other films, is Yi Yi not a masterpiece ? How about Once Upon a time in Anatolia or A separation or 4 months 3 weeks and 2 days?
>>
>>85619340
Kill Bill is terrible - I mentioned it in an earlier comment. But no, I would still put it above the absolutely unforgivable and unforgettably bad heap of trash that was TDKR. There is no scene in Kill Bill more worthy of a meme than the opening plane scene from TDKR. Kill Bill is a bad film that thinks it's good, and is ultimately a big waste of time. TDKR is simply one of the worst films made post-2000, and when viewed and subsequently compared to how Nolan carries himself - the way he dresses, talks, etc is the best possible indication of just how truly full of shit he is as a director and why he will never, ever, ever be anything more than a discounted, wannabe-Spielberg for pseudointellectual reddit-loving mouthbreathers.
>>
File: refn goes toy shopping.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
refn goes toy shopping.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
>>
>>85619289
Weerskathul, tsai Ming Liang, jia zhangke, lav diaz, nuri bilge ceylan, farhadi, assayas, Pablo larrain, Reygadas, hou hsiao hien, Kelly Reichardt
I'm probably forgetting some but those are most of who I think are the best directors working today
>>
Ellefags from reddit and letterboxd shitpost this hard.

Drive only god forgives and the neon demon are all garbo
>>
>>85610443
Its an objective fact that both of those directors make shit films.
>>
File: refn is weird at sex.webm (3MB, 720x405px) Image search: [Google]
refn is weird at sex.webm
3MB, 720x405px
wdhmbt?
>>
>>85619047
>HE'S the sole person that so many of these people look up to and try to emulate does say something to his brilliance.
Are you serious? He's far from the sole influence. Spielberg, Scorsese and Coppola are equal or greater influences on modern American cinema.
>>
>>85610443
Hahahahahahahahahaha the 90s were mostly worthless.
>>
>>85613969
it's true and you fucking know it
>>
File: Refn made a goof.webm (3MB, 540x304px) Image search: [Google]
Refn made a goof.webm
3MB, 540x304px
do you think he really changed his mind about OGF once production was done?
>>
>>85619047
And your opinion is a fact because you are.....?
I believe that anyone with the minimum amount of cinema would disagree with you as your movie understanding is merely based on Kubrick. He's big, sure, but not as great as you think he is, maybe take off the fanboy glasses and check his films in an analytical point of view, which is usually an activity we do in the film career with any movie, and you will see his failures in color, shots, casting, camera movement and so on. You asked for some points of relation with Nabokov, if you took the time to read any of Kubrick's script you'd noticed his influence. So, really, stop triying so hard to justify Kubrick, he is not The Icon of American cinema.
>>
>>85619714
Yes, and I'd say that Spielberg crafted his vision of the blockbuster from Kubrick's "larger than life" style of film. 2001 could be viewed as the "proto-blockbuster", Spielberg himself said it was the "big bang of his generation". But yes, you're right actually - many people are inspired by Spielberg's vision, but it's worth noting that Kubrick has had a large hand in crafting Spielberg's vision in the first place. So even if they're watching a Spielberg film, Kubrick's influence is certainly present, so their maybe only 2 layers apart from being influenced by Kubrick himself.

Scorsese and Coppola I'll agree as being more distinct, even though Scorsese himself has shown himself to be a huge, huge Kubrick fan - despite him not borrowing too much from him.
>>
>>85619535
>Yi Yi not a masterpiece
It most definitely found viewers that it deeply impacted and is still well remembered.

>Once Upon a time in Anatolia
It is a Grand Prix winner, do you really think this never found a audience that remembers it?

>A seperation
People still talk about this movie all the time.

>4 months 3 weeks...
Palme d'Or winner

That comparing apples to oranges to the likes of "Lady Macbeth" which will be forgotten in 2 years.
>>
>>85619577
I get that you dont like TDKR, that is fine.

But to say it one of the worse post-2000 films is just silly. It is easily his weakest post memento movie, but I can name dozens of films that are much more garbage just in 2012
>>
File: goose gets a blanket.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
goose gets a blanket.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
>>
>>85619801
Kojima is a marketer, not a film maker.
>>
>>85619687
I love that goose and him are friends
>>
>>85619634
okay, you like Asian Cinema a lot, most likely why you discount Kubrick, who had much more influence on english language and some european filmamkers then asian filmmakers.

And Nuri Bilge Ceylan and Farhadi I would also put on the list on my best but Kelly Reichardt doesn't deserve to be on any best director lists IMO.
>>
>>85619885
Where did I say my opinion was fact? Where?

Anyways cool bro, you didn't make specific points on anything I asked you to, yet you seem to think saying "if you took the time to read his script you'd notice the influence" is somehow going to show me how he's influenced by Nabokov. That's not how discussion works - if you truly understand the subject you're talking about, you should be able to discuss it atleast a bit more in-depth, rather than criticize me while not being able to provide me with any of the answers I asked you for.

I also have several criticisms of his work - did I say they were perfect? Does that not mean he's great? Have his films overall not stood the test of time and continue to loom over pop culture and be seen by newer and newer generations of people? Do they not continue to influence people working today?

I don't think he's the best director of all time, by the way. I merely said he's great and happens to be my favorite. Anyway you either don't have the decency or the knowledge to talk about anything to me with actual depth so that I may criticize or agree with you, so this discussion is over - you've made it impossible to have one. I suspect its because you don't know what you're actually talking about, preferring to namedrop respected artists like Nabokov to make yourself sound smarter, while not having the faintest point to make by doing so.
>>
>>85619535
>A separation
Even /tv/ discusses that film mate.
>>
File: generations.jpg (2MB, 2550x3300px) Image search: [Google]
generations.jpg
2MB, 2550x3300px
>>85613416
>>
>>85619625
holy kek based refn
post sauce please
>>
>>85619906
Personal shopper, graduation and the salesman all won awards at Cannes, so by your criteria they've already had an impact.
>>
>>85620165
He's both
>>
>>85610308
t. American
>>
>>85619999
awww
>>
>>85619996
You're probably right, I'm likely overreacting. I think what I meant is that the gap between the quality of it's contents, and the seriousness with which it takes itself, is so unbelievably enormous, is to such a degree that I can't really recall for any big-budget commercial film I've seen in say, the past decade.

I definitely have a hatred of the film though, thanks for making me aware of my bias.
>>
>>85613974
>The tree of life is better than anything Scorsese, Kubrick or Spielberg ever made .
lmfao
>>
File: Best Mara.jpg (122KB, 1456x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Best Mara.jpg
122KB, 1456x1080px
>>85611139
I don't blame him, Mara was a CUTE
>>
I like Refn but Jodorowsky is a total shitter (literally, he shoves his poop fetish into literally everything)
>>
>>85620189
I'll be honest, I kind of threw recihardt in there because I felt like I should have a woman filmmaker. I realize the list came out very Asian centric but there's also guys like kaurismaki, piuiu, mingiu, sorrentino etc who are not influenced by kubrick. Kubrick didnt really have a lasting influence outside of America
>>
>>85611139
how did he get away with it?

>>85620378
reminds me of some other actress I can't remember the name of
>>
>>85610209
>people fell for this
>despite how widely circulated on /tv/ the original quote has been
>even after OP calls Refn "this lad" and uses the term "film depression"
this place is braindead
>>
>>85619996
Same guy as previous response to you, but yeah you're right dude, sorry for overreacting. Fuck that film though, and fuck nolan for not being honest about how terrible it was - he literally describes it in interviews with his typical pretentious ramblings, going on about it being an "exploration of the concepts of good and evil" and some other bullshit, f him for being such a dishonest piece of shit, honestly, fuck him, he knows how braindead his audience is and that they'll believe anything he says or does, i can't stand someone who manipulates their fanbase that way
>>
>>85620298
Yes, but not the Palme d'Or or Grand Prix

I mean, if you had said It's Only the End of the World or I, Daniel Blake I might of said differently.

(also I will retract Sons of Saul comment earlier)
>>
>>85620367
>>85620533
Fair enough.

I think Holy Motors is a bunch of junk, but I don't discuss it as I know I just don't like that film and can't discuss it without calling it shit.
>>
File: Last.Tango.in.Paris.jpg (122KB, 1280x694px) Image search: [Google]
Last.Tango.in.Paris.jpg
122KB, 1280x694px
>>85611139
Reminds me of Last Tango In Paris. Pic related, this butter dab is unscripted, all great "acting" on Brando's part.
>The film contains a scene in which Brando's character engages in anal rape using butter as a lubricant. In a 2006 interview, Schneider said that the scene was not in the script and that "when they told me, I had a burst of anger. Woo! I threw everything. And nobody can force someone to do something not in the script. But I didn't know that. I was too young".[8] In 2007, Schneider recounted feelings of sexual humiliation pertaining to the rape scene
>They only told me about it before we had to film the scene and I was so angry. I should have called my agent or had my lawyer come to the set because you can't force someone to do something that isn't in the script, but at the time, I didn't know that. Marlon said to me: 'Maria, don't worry, it's just a movie', but during the scene, even though what Marlon was doing wasn't real, I was crying real tears. I felt humiliated and to be honest, I felt a little raped, both by Marlon and by Bertolucci. After the scene, Marlon didn't console me or apologise. Thankfully, there was just one take
>Schneider also said that making the film "ruined her life" and was her life's only regret,[8] and that she considers Bertolucci a "gangster and a pimp".[10] In 2011, Bertolucci denied that he "stole her youth" (she was 19 at the time of filming), and commented, "The girl wasn't mature enough to understand what was going on
>>
>>85620394
>I should have a woman filmmaker
To be fair, there are very few woman filmmakers of note.

I would say Kubrick does have impact on some non-american directors, such as Alfonso Cuaron (And also is Nolan really a UK or american director at this point?)
>>
>>85620505
he literally refers to him as "this lad" and says he saved him from "film depression" in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZ8qb30_7iU
>>
>>85620958
>spiritual excrement
love this
>>
>>85619118
>Truer words have never been spoken
Hello, 9GAG
>>
>>85620958
Holy fuck. This rapist is a confirmed pleb.
>>
>>85620544
It's only the end of the world is already forgotten. I'm pretty sure graduation and personal shopper will be remembered
>>
>>85611341
have you seen any Refn movies besides Drive?
>>
>>85621169
oh there's others?
>>
>>85621244
are you actually the person i replied to? if you are and thats your response then fuck off
>>
>>85620294
NWR documentary
>>
>>85620505
>being this retarded
>>
>>85620505
Do you think 4chan is the only place in the world that uses the term lad?
>>
>>85621646
I didn't think Jodorowsky used it. He's not from the UK.

But it was translated anyway.
>>
>>85621167
Graduation might be remembered in Romania.

Personal Shopper is already being forgotten fast.
>>
>>85621738
op here if it makes you feel any better i did make up one or two quotes just not the ones you chose to call out
>>
>>85610981
tbqh famalam Kojima's trailers are GOAT

the actual games, however...
>>
>>85619858
creating something is hard, anon. there'll be days halfway through you'll feel it's all worthless and you're a piece of shit who should stop creating altogether. then you kinda move past it and get excited again and you continue until you finish
>>
>>85621926
TPP is a goddamn masterpiece. some recent events in canada have really driven the points of the game home. it is easily the best metal gear game as far as story goes. the only one that is better in gameplay is 3.
>>
Complain about degeneracy and spiritual excrement but both make nothing but shallow degenerate garbage as well. Fun fact: they're both Jews! 1% of world population what are the odds?
>>
>>85622096
>>85621926
>videotoy players
>>
Guess who invented cinema? Yeah, America.

Why not invent your own medium or anything for once. Yuropoors, yeah they are THAT stupid
>>
>>85622203
t. amerikek education
>>
>>85610209
>Jew
D R O P P E D
>>
>>85622203
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA oh shit, americans really believe this? Who are the Lumiere's?
>>
File: 1501307963879.jpg (15KB, 540x332px) Image search: [Google]
1501307963879.jpg
15KB, 540x332px
>thinking that all the great films will just suddenly appear to torrent services instead of being exclusive to festivals for years
>>
>Superman makes me vomit- Batman, all that. That whole empire- this religion, I don’t give a damn. I shit on the United States.

I love hear Jodorowsky be assblasted. He only said this because his friend Moedius worked with Stan Lee on a Silver Surfer comic.
>>
>>85622387
checkmate Jodorowsky
>>
>>85610981
But Kojima is in fact a genius and
>Hideo Kojima has created the perfect marriage of cinematic storytelling and cutting edge gaming technology.
Is in fact accurate.
>>
File: 1479700321839.png (74KB, 853x629px) Image search: [Google]
1479700321839.png
74KB, 853x629px
>>85611105
>PTA
The only good living American directors are Terrence Malick and Harmony Korine.
>>
>>85610308
After they ruined his chance at Dune by destroying his creativity, I don't blame him.
Big studios and producers only care about money. They test markets, appease to certain individuals (like the Chinese), and they even do shit like hold back on releases if a similar movie shits the bed at the bo.
>>
File: ohshit.gif (325KB, 370x330px) Image search: [Google]
ohshit.gif
325KB, 370x330px
>>85610209
>an artist like Refn
>a real human bean
This kike is best known for a movie that never got made and a bunch of dogshit comic books. He's so irrelevant I thought he was dead.
>>
>>85610209
Hopeful.
>>
File: 1500264795345.png (410KB, 500x740px) Image search: [Google]
1500264795345.png
410KB, 500x740px
>>85615950
>Sue Lyons as Lolita
>brilliant, iconic casting choices
o i'm laffin
this is actually one of the saddest fits of pseudointellectualism I've ever seen on 4chinz and that's saying something
>>
>>85611607
>>85611607
But those movies you listed where created due to the directors behind it.

No one is going to give an indie director with an intriguing indie film, 35 mil to do a bizarre political cyberpunk. They have to (usually) appease the studio and make a blockbuster under their watchful, demanding eye.
>>
Refn is absolute shit now, he had one good movie that he didn't write and Jodorowsky hasn't been relevant in decades. I feel nothing, anyone can angrily shit out polemic, especially an old man
>>
>>85622563
Jeff Nichols deserves to be on that list. A lot more than Korine at least.
>>
>>85622563
>living
change it to "active" and then we'll talk
>>
>>85622890
Who do you have in mind?
>>
>>85622724
she perfectly fit the the vision Kubrick had for the character, I said that she wasn't true to the original imagining by Nabokov. sure, she became a big star immediately after that film with everyone raving about her, subsequently being used in films by Ford and Huston (before she relegated herself to secondary roles), all thanks to Kubrick and Harris discovering her, but sure bro I'm the pseud here and have no clue what I'm talking about
>>
>>85622096
LMAO TPP is shit compared to 1,2, 3 and 4. Unfinished mess of a fucking game. Fuck Konami
>>
>>85610209
When is Jodorowsky doing Warhammer 40k?
>>
>>85611269
Lmao, are you kidding me? That is imdb tier trash.
Actually list some good films instead of stupid flicks
>>
>>85611935
>i wonder what this director would have thought about the movie that I have seen due to high ratings on imdb
I hate pseuds so much
>>
File: 1497745370447.jpg (22KB, 351x351px) Image search: [Google]
1497745370447.jpg
22KB, 351x351px
>>85623006
First off, Kubrick agrees that that movie was a failure.
Secondly and more importantly, that casting choice literally exemplifies casting ineptitude. "wasn't true to nabokov's imagining" is the understatement of the year, the book spends nearly a hundred pages total describing and worshiping the concept of a nymphet and must use the word nymphet over 100 times, Sue Lyons wasn't even an effort to come close to that. It was a total miss. The movie was almost unbearable if you'd read the book and even if you hadn't it was thoroughly unenjoyable besides the sexualizing of a young girl and the humor that stan sloppily copied and pasted from nabokov brilliant and subtle satire.

Also "Discovering" an actress is a completely meaningless accolade, he could've very well just picked the hottest actress who showed up to the audition and he'd have "discovered" a "big talent", fuck you honestly, do you give usher credit for discovering justin bieber? Just pick someone fuckable who you know and tell them to go to an audition, voila, im a fucking visionary genius now.

Finally, fuck you, get off tv you stupid cunt
>>>/reddit/
>>
File: 297.png.jpg (50KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
297.png.jpg
50KB, 800x450px
>>
>>85615715
Lmao, are you just listing off """ obscure""" directors? Because none of those have a style particularly close to that of neon demon, Neon Demon iirc was heavily inspired by Giallo movies, aka. Italian movies from the 70s that revolved around mysterious things in a normal setting, kind of like Mulholhand drive in that they are also not classically explained and outlined. Dario Argento is a classic director for these kind of mystery horror movies.
>>
>>85618665
Well clearly this guy has a much deeper understanding of films although his deepest experience with actual films were with Batman The Dark Knight and Kubricks Filmography.
>>
File: idiot.png (73KB, 746x398px) Image search: [Google]
idiot.png
73KB, 746x398px
>>85623366
Kubrick clearly had his OWN vision for the film, what the fuck, since when did he EVER make straight adaptations of novels and not adjust elements to meet his own vision? Strangelove, ACO, The Shining, FMJ, are all very different from the books they're based on, why do you seem to think that he was even going for a faithful adaptation of Nabokov's work? Are you this stupid?

Anyways, the picture attached will prove to you that you're a fucking moron who doesn't know anything at all, you should listen when I talk to you, I know better than you do - you could learn something or two.

also discovering an actress does actually take credit you moron, so Scorsese doesn't deserve credit for spotting DeNiro out of thousands and thousands of other actors that he could've cast in his early work? It doesn't require actual judgment to be able to tell who has acting ability and star potential or not?

I'll gladly leave /tv/ though, just to get away from the all braindead morons like you
>>
>>85623673
He had to work within the restrictions imposed on him LEGALLY, and he constructed a solid film out of it that works on it's own, but not as an adaptation of the source material. That is the bottom line. Leaving this thread now.
>>
>>85623673
kubrick is trash lmao
kill yourself fanboy retard
>>
>>85623673
Bye! You won't be missed!
>>
>>85623761
This. He adapted books and provided a diff meaning.
The Shining book was fun King b-trash. The movie elevated the material.
>>
>Makes a bunch of films with his naked son and men in cheetah masks shooting milk out their tits
>EVERYONE ELSE IS THE REASON NOBODY OTHER THAN CONTRARIAN FAGGOTS LIKE MY MOVIES IT'S ALL THOSE DAMN AMERICANS FAULT
k
>>
>>85610981
Kojima hasn't made a good game or story since MGS2. MGS3 is trash that expects you to believe a 300 pound russian man who can shoot lightning out of his fists is intimidated by a 130 pound lesbian because she knows some first year Judo grapples. MGS4 is a clusterfuck on another level, and PW and V are just him jerking off his own ego. Death Stranding will be a complete trainwreck but Kojima fags will excuse every stupid gimmick or obvious plothole as a "nuance" or "technique" as they always do.
>>
>>85613707
>that's what all the pseud critics convinced themselves it was in order to make their own egos look better
>make their own egos look better

don't talk
>>
File: 2001comp.jpg (96KB, 769x973px) Image search: [Google]
2001comp.jpg
96KB, 769x973px
>people still think Kubrick was original or imaginative
Imaginative in stealing shit from European directors, sure
>>
>>85623936
You think Kubrick elevated Nabokov?
>>
>>85611341
>McQueen
the 12 Yeas a Slave guy?
>>
what movie should i watch
>>
>>85610209
I like Jodorowski, who the fuck is Refn?

And there's something to be said for light hearted comedies and action porn. Not every film needs to be a mind blowing spiritual exploration. Quite frankly, those movies are exhausting and I only prefer them rarely.

I really appreciate Jodorowski's work but it's nothing I'd want to watch after a hard day of work. It just takes too much energy.
>>
>>85625869
>who the fuck is Refn?
FUCKING NORMALFAGS GET THE FUCK OFF MY BOARD
>>
>>85625869
I really want Son of the Gun as a live adaption. No need for huge special effects. Just do the core story about getting raised in a garbage heap, crime killing his way to the top, then fucking his mom and losing all hope and continuing to fuck her. Then finally leaving her and becoming a spiritual leader cause it's the only way he could survive, is to corrupt them and become their savior. Then finally putting himself on the cross
>>
>>85625129
He was clearly referring to The Shining...are you unable to recognize when a previous sentences leads into the next one? Does the mere presence of a period cause you to think that a completely unrelated train of thought has been started...?
>>
>>85611935
Kubrick is trash.
>>
>>85612327
>Thwy're good movies but nowhere near as good as they like to think they are.
what the fuck does that even mean?
how good do they think they are?
>>
>>85613707
>I also doubt that they'd be "better" than anyone I mentioned, even if they happen to be good
> I will check them out though, since you've clearly seen more films than I have.
>>
>>85624136
You liked MGS2 but you thought 3 Was ridiculous? What god awful taste.
>>
>>85614193
no
growing up on trash has fucked your brai, manchild
>>
>>85614391
look you can't into logic, so let me help
solaris would be banal and forgettable when compared with metropolis
2001 would be an excellent movie, but no where near as important to cinema as Metropolis was
>>
>>85622528
He hasn't made cutting edge gaming technology since MGS2. The western industry took over but weeb autists are still in denial.
>>
>>85628205
MGS2 told to the player to stop thinking they're Snake, get a life and stop asking for more MGS games
MGS3 was just plain commercial trash
>>
>>85610406
Digital is far superior in quality to film now. Only reddit purists think otherwise.
>>
>>85624671
They both use hard science. Of course they'd look very similar in design.
>>
>>85610209
Based Jodo always puts amerishits on suicide watch
>>
>>85625892
But, Refn is a normalfag director, kid.
>>
>>85615336
>A lot of the top directors in Europe during Kubricks heyday actually had negative opinions about him.
Such as?
>>
>>85628505

It's not until they lay off the horrid color grading
>>
File: 1501292099674.jpg (34KB, 657x527px) Image search: [Google]
1501292099674.jpg
34KB, 657x527px
>>85615950
>This thread proves to me that even though I've seen less films than you guys, I clearly understand film much much much better than most of you, for you to call me a "kubrickfag" and then embarrass yourself by denying what are clearly brilliant, iconic casting choices all across the board of his filmography, with two cherry picking faggots bringing up his casting of Ryan O Neal and ignoring the outstanding casting choices in all the rest of his films. fuck all of you, you know nothing about cinema and no amount of films watched can give you an actual understanding of what makes a film work or not
>>
>>85619211
>arantino has never made anything as atrocious as TDKR
Kill Bill is a lot worse than TDKR.
>>
>>85619634
>Pablo larrain
Mexican Kubrick
Thread posts: 269
Thread images: 38

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.