[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ready Player One

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 9

File: ready player one.jpg (595KB, 2040x846px) Image search: [Google]
ready player one.jpg
595KB, 2040x846px
This looks fun. Are you going to watch it? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kijNjrTqeRs
>>
File: cameron.jpg (159KB, 722x720px) Image search: [Google]
cameron.jpg
159KB, 722x720px
>>85524294
>The movie starts, and I start to see things that I recognize.
>>
>>85524294
>nostalgia bait: the movie
>>
No

I don't mind a piece of media have lots of references if there's substance behind them, but I read RPO and it didn't really have substance. It didn't have substance, theme, or character. It was just a sugary stew of nostalgic elitism
>>
Dude references lmao
>>
>>85524294
>The western SAO got a movie.
God damn it.
>>
>I wish someone had just told me the truth right up front, as soon as I was old enough to understand it. I wish someone had just said: “Here’s the deal, Wade. You’re something called a ‘human being.’ That’s a really smart kind of animal. Like every other animal on this planet, we’re descended from a single-celled organism that lived millions of years ago. This happened by a process called evolution, and you’ll learn more about it But trust me, that’s really how we all got here. There’s proof of it everywhere, buried in the rocks. That story you heard? About how we were all created by a super-powerful dude named God who lives up in the sky? Total bullshit. The whole God thing is actually an ancient fairy tale that people have been telling one another for thousands of years. We made it all up. Like Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny. “Oh, and by the way … there’s no Santa Claus or Easter Bunny. Also bullshit. Sorry, kid Deal with it.”
― Ernest Cline, Ready Player One
>>
The source is terrible though.
>>
This looks like one of those Seltzer and Friedberg movies where a character from another movie shows up, say "Hey, I'm a character from another movie" and that's the joke.
>>
>>85524294
>Dude video game references!
>Its actually almost entirely movie references
Also the actual mechanics of the "game" make no sense and are never explained.
>>
>>85524294
>Pandering: The Movie
Nope
>>
If this movie has anything resembling a coherent or satisfying story, I'll be shocked.
>>
>>85524305
>If this movie has anything resembling a coherent or satisfying story, I'll be shocked.
The book is basically the near future sucks because of an energy crisis, global warming, etc. People get away by jacking into a VR world. Creator of the VR world died five years ago and said whoever finds the mcguffin will get his fortune and his company. Protagonist finds the first clue and the story goes from there. Think of it as a modern Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.
>>
>>85524300
Wade lives in a dystopia though, he has good reason to think like that.
>>
>>85524303
>>85524304
>>85524300
>>85524297
These are the exact things that make me not excited for it, but I pirate everything so I'll probably check it out whenever the bluray comes out.

References: The Movie sounds like a shitty catch and that's pretty much all the trailer makes it to be.
>>
File: aradiadoublepistolswink.png (3KB, 440x508px) Image search: [Google]
aradiadoublepistolswink.png
3KB, 440x508px
>>85524294
>my face as soon as i noticed it was playing Pure Imagination
>>
>>85524309

Ironic because the movie has absolutely none.
>>
>>85524303
It was never just video game references, what are you smoking?
>>
>>85524294
>Hey It's That Thing I Like: The Movie

Passing this like a kidney stone.
>>
File: Millie smile.png (16KB, 167x253px) Image search: [Google]
Millie smile.png
16KB, 167x253px
>>85524310
I lol'd
>>
Is there anyone out there that likes RPO? I get the appeal but it's so shallow I couldn't get through half of it
>>
File: darthvader.gif (561KB, 318x274px) Image search: [Google]
darthvader.gif
561KB, 318x274px
>>85524294

>I CLAPPED WHEN I SAW IT: The book: The movie
I think I'll pass
>>
>>85524311
It was 99% video game references with the 1% of other pop culture references being contained in one awful chapter where Wade brags about how much 80s shit he knows.

Oh and he becomes Ultraman or whatever at the end (I'm guessing it's The Iron Giant in the movie).
>>
File: don.jpg (6KB, 230x220px) Image search: [Google]
don.jpg
6KB, 230x220px
>>85524310
kek
>>
>Everyone here that said they won't see it probably will.
>>
>>85524314
It's big with "lol I'm such a nerd" normies and people that can't get enough of nostalgia.
>>
>>85524318
Nah I probably won't.
I mean is it really hard not to see a movie you have no interest in seeing?
>>
fuck no. every attempt at video game representation in hollywood is on par or easily worse than how Spy Kids 3D showed them off
>>
Literally the only reason I have any faith in this is Spielberg.

If he could translate Jurassic Park from Autistic Science Nonsense into Actual Storytelling he might be able to do the same thing with RPO.

>>85524314

>Is there anyone out there that likes RPO?

It had fans when it came out, but Cline's second book being more of the same but worse mixed with the explosion of I CLAPPED WHEN I SAW IT nostalgia infecting literally everything in pop culture the past 3 years or so soured a lot of opinions on it.

>>85524318

>wasting trips on this

Unless I hear it's great I'm not. I'm finally tamping down on my I NEED TO SEE EVERYTHING WITH A POP CULTURE CONNECTION the past few years.

>>85524321

>implying Gamer isn't kino
>>
>>85524320
>Nah, I totally won't bro!
Can't wait to see your review later, focused on content regurgitation and how you're above it and better than everyone else.
>>
>>85524314
The only people I know that liked RPO were a few guys from the Kingdom of Loathing dev team. They talked about it on their recent podcast
>>
File: you'll see it anyway.jpg (56KB, 630x420px) Image search: [Google]
you'll see it anyway.jpg
56KB, 630x420px
>>85524318
LOL
>>
"Second Life: The Movie"?
>>
>>85524323
Oh, you're one of those fags.
>NO YOU TOTALLY WILL BECAUSE I SAID SO
>>
>>85524323
see >>85524325
>>
>>85524294
the fuck is this?
>>
>>85524326
As a VR developer, I have mixed feelings about this whole thing. Why watch a movie about hardware that already exists?
>>
>>85524326
Basically.
>>
>>85524306
>my fortune is yours for the taking but you have to find it first! I left everything in "that place"!
>>
>>85524321
Not just hollywood, I'm still trying to find a game where the powerups are hidden under the stalagmites
>>
>>85524326
Having spent countless hours scripting in Second Life I'm okay with this.
>>
>>85524332
Exactly what I thought about, another reference.
>>
>>85524294
YOU THINK THAAAAAAAAT'S BAD?
Remember the time I shot the classic 80's sci-fi character RoboCop with a phaser from the classic 80's TV show Star Trek: The Next Generation, while wearing the mask of Darth Vader from the classic film Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, eating the retro candy Reeses Pieces similar to the cinematic 80's film alien ET The Extra Terrestrial, and riding 88mph (similar to the classic 80's comedy Back to the Future) inside KITT, the car from the classic 80's show Knight Rider, while the Melmacian Alf from the 80's sitcom Alf rode in the passengers seat, listening to Pink Floyd's 1979 album The Wall on his Sony Walkman, while reading Alan Moore's 1986 graphic novel masterpiece Watchmen?
>>
File: those shows existed.jpg (13KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
those shows existed.jpg
13KB, 480x360px
Look! GI Joe, Transformers, Thundercats, He-Man!

Yay! Those shows existed!
>>
>>85524333
Godzilla on the NES.
>>
Ready Player One is the framework for a really great book. It has this perfect dystopian setup where everyone is obsessed with the saddest cultural flotsam of a dead culture propagated solely by the autistic mind of a dead billionaire. If even one character took a step back to look at their life... like, right after the guy realized he could recite all of fucking "War Games" from memory would've been a GREAT place to do it... it could've been a brillaint deconstruction/criticism of our sad love for the 80s that didn't actually exist (I'm 37... gotta tell you, guys, the 80s weren't what you think they were).

But, nope, I CAN PLAY A PERFECT GAME OF PAC-MAN OH HOLY SHIT IS THAT MECHAGODZILLA HURRRRR.
>>
>>85524318
I definitely won't. None of my friends or family are invested in nerd culture so they won't give a shit about this
>>
>>85524890
Pretty much. It has the framework of a social critique set up, but it spends so long absorbing itself in a juvenile fantasy that you realize that's what the author really cares about.
>>
I liked RPO, sure it has too many references and the story is quite simple but I just liked the idea and tone of it. I read it at a time when VR was just coming out and not actually a real thing yet and I just loved the idea of having this vast onlline world people escape to because the real world is a shitty place to live because mankind didnt really care about it and just chased profit. So while the rich people live an amazing life in the real world all poor people are just disconnected from reality and look for an escape... but even in the Oasis they are poor and irrelevant.

I liked a lot about the book but I think it has too mana paragraphs explaining useless shit, the vilains are straight from a comicbook and have no motivation other than being evil and wanting to destroy this supposed utopia that the Oasis is according to Wade and the end fights were just way too ridiculous.

It couldve been really great but I think it was just good because of these flaws.
>>
>>85524306
is that why the music sounded like a reworking of the "pure imagination" song from willy wonka? obviously before Tom Sawyer started
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.