[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When do you think China will have a film renaissance?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 8

Every emerging major world power has had a time when their native film industry blossomed and revolutionised the world of film. Japan, USA, Britain, France, Germany and even the Soviet Union all had their own golden age of cinema. When do you think the Chinks will start making Kino after Kino?
>>
But China has a bunch of very good films, you slopehead.
>>
>>85519831
Are you referring to the PRC or do Taiwan and Hong Kong count too
>>
Hopefully soon.

We really need 500 more versions of Romance of the Three Kingdoms.
>>
>>85519862
The Chinese mainland not including Hong Kong
>>
File: it was extremely painful.jpg (37KB, 455x519px) Image search: [Google]
it was extremely painful.jpg
37KB, 455x519px
Chinks can't make good films because they don't have souls.
>>
File: confucius2.jpg (22KB, 377x398px) Image search: [Google]
confucius2.jpg
22KB, 377x398px
Who will play him in the inevitable biopic?
>>
File: f50.jpg (184KB, 794x794px) Image search: [Google]
f50.jpg
184KB, 794x794px
I hope they start making some Kino movies that isn't just blatant CCP propaganda. I'm getting tired of (((Hollywood))), and it seems like most other major foreign film scenes are on the decline.
>>
Chinks are intelligent in the sense of remembering information, but not so much in creativity. This makes it hard for them to make good films.
>>
>>85519969
Can you?
>>
>>85519831
Mainland China had GOAT movies in the 80's and 90's, stuff like Raise the Red Lantern, To Live, Farewell my Concubine...

But it's all gone now, now it's shitty blockbusters with awfuls effects
>>
File: Benedict_Wong_by_Gage_Skidmore.jpg (11KB, 220x255px) Image search: [Google]
Benedict_Wong_by_Gage_Skidmore.jpg
11KB, 220x255px
>>85519973
Benedict Wong. He was the only good thing in Marco Polo
>>
>>85520035
what is a good movie for u?
>>
Didn't it already come and go with the old-school wuxia and kung-fu movies?

Drunken Master 1
Hero
Fong Sai Yuk movies
Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon
etc
>>
>>85520039
The Taiwanese and Hongkongese are ethnical chinks but make great kinoes
>>
>>85519862
They're part of China so obviously they count. Only a butthurt Brit would say otherwise
>>
>>85520151
in this list only HEro is from mainland China

DK and Fong Sai Yuk are from Hong Kong
Crouching Tiger is from Taiwan
>>
>>85520203
but they're very specific markets. HK and China is pretty much the same today sure, but taiwanese cinema is still very different (and much better)
>>
File: 1471695979018.jpg (143KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1471695979018.jpg
143KB, 1920x1080px
>>85520203

Clearly you've never met a person from HK or Taiwan.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (20KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
20KB, 480x360px
>>85519831
china already made kino in the 1990s
check

wong kar wai
zhang yimou
jia zhangke
wang xiaoshuai

the so called "china's sixth generation of film makers"

china also produced some good shit way back before the PRC formed. and if you want to count taiwan, then theres lots there too. including ang lee who is an immigrant

nowadays china has followed the hollywood model and became a commercial film making country
>>
>>85520203
>obviously they count
Their historical development has been very different so I don't see how that is so obvious in this context
>>
>>85520151
>>85520090
See here
>>85519900
I'm not including the Hong Kong film industry since they werent apart China during the boom years. Hong Kongan's don't identify with the mainland. Also a different cultures emerged during the British rule of Hong Kong.
>>
>>85520204
I refuse to recognize the legitimacy of Taiwan and HK.
One China 4 life
;3
>>
File: Chinese Cinema.jpg (631KB, 1403x1892px) Image search: [Google]
Chinese Cinema.jpg
631KB, 1403x1892px
>>85519850
This
>>
CHINA NUMBA ONE
>>
>>85520302
Edward Yang is Taiwan ffs
>>
>>85520302
Most are mediocre, few are kino
>>
>>85519831
It had it in the late-eighties, and it carried on up until the mid-noughties at least, you just didn't notice because you only watch garbage. Highlight these, right-click and Google: "Chinese Fifth Generation filmmakers" and "Chinese Sixth Generation filmmakers".
>>
>>85520039
>t. Nipponese
>>
>who is Zhang Yimou
>who is Jia Zhangke
>who is Wang Bing
>who is Tian Zhuangzhuang

And I've never even checked into the stuff in more than a superficial manner.
>>
when they take over hollywood which is 100% going to happen
>>
>>85521681
Taiwan is a different country, Hong Kong is a convenient free zone that Chinese go to to play the free market game when it suits them. The number of people who have properties in both countries or settle close to the border so they have the advantages of both is massive.
>>
>>85521822
Exactly, I reckon OP means "when are China gonna become South Korea".
>>
>>85520302
I cant watch chinese movies cause all the guys have tiny penises and cant satisfy their women...
>>
>>85521822
>Zhuangzhuang
>last name consists of a repeating word

WTF happened there?
>>
>>85520302
>mixing Taiwanese and Hongkonese film with mainland
>>
>>85520237
>wong kar wai
comfiest movies ever
>>
>>85522175
Chinese repeat characters for emphasis and ease of speaking. Zhuang = strong, so Zhuangzhuang means he's very strong.
>>
>>85519831
in the 80's before the jewery
>>
>>85522189
This. Stop it mainlanders, it's getting a bit embarrassing. Just admit that China under the CCP has never experienced a truly kino film golden age
>>
I hope they don't because the Chinese language is offensive to the ears. It's so annoying and grating compared to Korean and Japanese
>>
>>85522465
If your experience of Japanese/Korean is from entertainment and your experience of Chinese is from normal people, then you might believe Chinese is bad.

But really, they all sound very shit.
>>
China won't have a film renaissance. They are a communist dictatorship, combined with Confucian values that turns China into a state unimaginably oppressive from any westerner's point of view.

Soviets could produce movies of value but that's because Russians had a culture of native high brow art. Such a concept does not exist in China because they've gutted all of their culture in recent history, oppressed all of their intellectuals and their government is not something anyone with a little bit of brain and conscience can get behind. At least Russians had some moral arguments to justify their oppression and communism.

The entire political, intellectual and social life in China is geared towards producing obedient and thoughtless people.

You will never get a sense of how terrible of a place mainland China is until you live there. It's a living dystopia. The only hope China has is CCP collapsing under the big financial bubble everyone's expecting for years and maybe the next generation of leaders won't be so terribly paranoid and sociopathic.
>>
>>85523003
Can you give examples so we can try and understand whats so terrible about it?
>>
OP hasn't seen Jackie Chan films.

I feel sorry for you OP.
>>
About to watch Rebels of the Neon God, my first Tsai Ming-Liang, not likely I'll like it though. Most Chinese (and Taiwanese and KH) kinomakers just seem so dull, melodramatic and "sensitive", and overall just pretty weak and non-confronting about the issues in the film. Wong Kar-Wai, Jia Zhang-Ke, Hou Hsiao-Hsien, even Kim Ki-duk And Koreeda Hirokazu.

Other Asians, like Lav Diaz and Weerasethakul, despite alos being boring, atleast seem like they have more balls, the chinks honestly just seem like pussies.

Reporting back after I've seen it if the thread's still up.
>>
>>85523577
Forgot to mention that Edward Yang is fucking great though.
>>
>>85519831

You cannot have a swelling of ideas under an authoritarian regime.

Only way it could ever happen is if a major change in China's government happened.
>>
>>85523125
He can't, he's absolutely full of shit. China is showing immense technological progress and a lot of that is because of their "brutal" regime. They have a major online community where people are allowed to express themselves freely. You can see net Chinks debating Trump and Hillary on Weibo all the fucking time now.

This mass censorship really isn't a thing. Fuck, the Chinese word for comrade is 同志 but Google Image search those characters. It's slang for faggot. Their government is still a slave to the people.
>>
>>85523577
Jia, HHH, non-confronting about issues? What the fuck dude? HHH literally crafts his argument for Taiwanese identity over his coming to age trilogy (of HHH, of Taiwan) and finishes it with City of Sadness (I AM TAIWANESE!)

Man, what did you watch?
>>
>>85524337
Sensibilities might be different. Taiwanese cinema builds up on a lot of contemplation.

However, if he calls Tsai Ming Liang a bitch that's gonna say something more about him than about the rest of films.
>>
>>85524337
Non-confronting is a poor word, more toothless, dull, "nice". They're political, sure, but their films are just dull, and not with much interesting to say. And the views on love (less present in HHH and Jia than WKW) are just pedestrian.
>>
recently many foreign films and drama bin purged from chinese video web. and my vpn has been ban. where ill I go to watch games of thrones?
>>
>>85523828
Very loyal chinkroach
While you're googling check out "June 4th"
>>
>>85524714
meh
>>
>>85523577
Eh, it was okay.

That's basically my takeaway. Completly whelmed. It was fine. Not bad. Jesus fucking Christ that girl Lin was hot though, holy shit.

Also, having fucking pone dating as the symbol of corruption the /r9k/ fella turns away from was a bit weak.
>>
>>85527050
Watch Vive L'Amour, it's his first masterpiece. Rebels of the Neon God was a bit mediocre in my taste, even if it serves as a base for TML's style.
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.