[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What the fuck did I just watch?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 6

I really didn't get it. Was it a scathing commentary on the state of Hollywood? Was it abstract just to be abstract? Why
>>
Bump. Your silence means no one got this movie.
>>
>>85503293
Or just tired of explaining it.

This covers most of it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvgRLTP3U5Y
>>
it was nothing. he literally just made shit up and has no idea what it all means.
>>
>>85503044
DUDE DON'T WATCH OR READ AN ANALYSIS YET. Analyzing it yourself is pretty fun.

Everything that happens between third scene (when the opening credits start) up until Rita opens the blue box is a dream. Everything that happens after that in the film is the real world (the story isn't told linearly). Now with that in mind, watch the film again and try to think how the things that happen in the real world are related to the things that happen in Diane's dream, and try to interpret what each part of the dream means.
Remember that dreams are supposed manifestations of your subconscious feelings, wishes and fears, using different stimuli that you received in real life (and usually placing them in unrelated contexts).

There's probably no social comentary.
>>
>>85504004
>Everything that happens after that I'm the film is the real world
Slight nitpick incoming. Part of that sequence after the dream is her subjective memory flooding back in after she notices the key.
>>
>>85503044
Naomi killed her girlfriend then rubbed one out to her fantasy that she was still alive and they were living out some melodramatic lesbian romance. Then she snapped out of it, realized she wasn't a good actress, she was a nobody and she killed the woman she loved. Then she kills Herself
>>
>>85503044
it was simply epic ;)

but nah seriously very overrated, like the majority of lynch's work
>>
>>85504004
Lynch captures her feelings of envy and guilt just as well as the classic novel Crime and Punishment.

It's a series of nightmares that don't end.
>>
Overrated trash by a meme director
>>
>>85504313
this. it's good and creepy but not deep.
>>
File: 1497233187765.gif (1MB, 300x450px) Image search: [Google]
1497233187765.gif
1MB, 300x450px
LEARN CINEMA! LEARN LYNCH!!!
>>
i liked this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHQnb3HS4hc
>>
File: 71119.webm (1MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
71119.webm
1MB, 1280x720px
>>85503044
>>85503293
>>85503714
>>85504157
>>85504313
>>85504491
>>
File: lynchedcuck.jpg (478KB, 1304x871px) Image search: [Google]
lynchedcuck.jpg
478KB, 1304x871px
>>85503044
>>
It doesn't really mean anything. It's just footage from a television pilot that Lynch scraped together in a movie. I like it a lot, and I think it's one of the better portrayals of dreams on film, but there's no deeper meaning to it.
>>
File: lynch hol up.jpg (34KB, 618x412px) Image search: [Google]
lynch hol up.jpg
34KB, 618x412px
>Contained within the original DVD release is a card titled "David Lynch's 10 Clues to Unlocking This Thriller". The clues are:

>1. Pay particular attention in the beginning of the film: At least two clues are revealed before the credits.
>2. Notice appearances of the red lampshade.
>3. Can you hear the title of the film that Adam Kesher is auditioning actresses for? Is it mentioned again?
>4. An accident is a terrible event—notice the location of the accident.
>5. Who gives a key, and why?
>6. Notice the robe, the ashtray, the coffee cup.
>7. What is felt, realized and gathered at the Club Silencio?
>8. Did talent alone help Camilla?
>9. Note the occurrences surrounding the man behind Winkie's.
>10. Where is Aunt Ruth?

What did he mean by this?
>>
>>85507249
I feel like these are all just supposed to heighten your awareness a bit, in turn you'll start noticing other things that better detail what the movie is supposed to be about. Watching Persona gives a little bit of extra context too. Lynch is undoubtably purposefully obscure but nowhere near impossible to interpret plainly. >>85504102 got it just fine.
>>
>>85507752
Were the two women in Persona supposed to be one? Some analyses have suggested that but I didn't see it that way my first watching. That was quite the movie. Less than 90 minutes but felt longer in the good way.
>>
>first shot is POV laying down in a pillow
hurr durr I don't get it, is this in a dream?
>>
>>85503044
You got lynched

>>85503714
>>85504157
>>85504313
>>85504491
>>85506977
these knuckleheads also got lynched
>>
Bitches being Bitches: the movie: arthouse editon
>>
>>85503044
Character can't handle reality, starts living in a fantasy world, fantasy world becomes too much, reality comes crashing back in.
>>
File: helpme.jpg (224KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
helpme.jpg
224KB, 1920x1080px
>>
>>85503044
You know how like in real life you see like a book in the bookstore, and then when you sleep that book becomes like a part of your dream? Or like when you see someone in a store in real life, and then that same night you dream that same person?

It's the same logic in Mulholland Drive. Rewatch the movie with that mindset.
>>
It's a television pilot that got quickly finished as a movie.

Don't look too deep.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.