[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Inception

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5

File: inception.jpg (11KB, 637x265px) Image search: [Google]
inception.jpg
11KB, 637x265px
I know I am going to be facing the meme folks and the Anti-Nolan folks and people who hate films since other people like it.

But I am just curious on what people think about it, and what parts do you think are dreams and what parts are not.
>>
>>85485342
The bit where he runs down an alley and gets stuck.
>>
Fucking love this movie, it's unironically one of my favorites. Quite layered, despite what anti Nolan fags will tell you. I liked how it was, among other things, an allegory for filmmaking - planting an idea in someone's head and trying to make them believe it.

I like the theory that Cobb's totem is actually his wedding ring. It fits quite well, as it appears and disappears in several scenes when he's dreaming and awake. He states that the top was his wife's totem, and he tells Juno that no one should know what your totem is, so they can't incorporate it into a dream to trick you.

The effects were fantastic, since Nolan believes in minimal cgi. The rotating hallway fight was filmed in an actual rotating hallway set, built and rigged to spin as the actors fought.

Great movie, I saw it three times in theatres, but haven't watched it since. I want to keep it fresh and not over saturate myself with it.

>inb4 memes and anti-Nolans call us pleb faggots
>>
overrated below average movie with great effects
>>
>>85485552
Regarding the end, the token starta to wobble, and I believe Nolan himself has stated that, as a father, he likes to believe it topples and that he's in the real world.
>>
>>85485552
Nice post man. I pretty much feel the same.
>>
>>85485660

That's not Leo's totem so it means fuck all anyway.
>>
>>85485552
>The rotating hallway fight was filmed in an actual rotating hallway set, built and rigged to spin as the actors fought.

I was actually thinking when I saw that
"Holy shit, knowing nolan they built a rotating set." while too many others would make that into a CGI fest.

Kinda hope that sometime there is a special showing that I can watch, as I never saw it in the theatres.
>>
>>85486354
Yes it is. Your head-canon and fan theory doesn't make it true.

The spinning top is used while he's alone to verify reality status. Nolan chose to leave you guessing; Nolan states that the ending cutting before you see the token's actions shows that Cobb doesn't care about "reality" any more, and that its a comment about the subjective nature of dreams and reality.

So why would he have secretly made the wedding ring his Token?

You're fucking cancer to the film community and should stick to posting on Star Trek fan forums so you can autistically obsess over things there.
>>
Honest opinion here. The story and writing feels like someone thought it was genuinely deep and thoughtful when they just string together a few buzzwords to sound smart. As an action movie I didn't expect it to be more but it really isn't a film for smart people.
>>
>>85486520
>Yes it is. Your head-canon and fan theory doesn't make it true.

The top was his wife's totem. Headbutt a speeding bus, you low IQ cunt.
>>
>>85485342
It's all a dream m8. The whole movie is him stuck in moll's dream inside of his dream. There's an abundance of clues demonstrating that throughout the entire film.
>>
>>85485342
Protip: it doesn’t matter was it a dream or not
Tell me what changes if you know if everything was a dream or not? What knowledge do you get out of that fact?

You people care only about the simple narrative and plot point closures.
In the final scene Cobb spins the totem but he doesn't even look at it because he doesn't care, he just wants to be with his kids no matter is it real or not.
It's always the same unimportant questions, "who is the shooter" in The Hunt, "who sent the tapes" in Cache, "was it waterboarding or rape" in Sicario etc. If you asked any director these kind of questions they would be disappointed.

Movies aren't puzzles which you have to put together in a certain kind of way to "get" them, that would be pretty shallow. Focus on why is something shown in that way rather than what it is.
>>
>>85485660
But it doesn't topple and the kids tell him to come look at the house they are building on a cliff...the house from the opening scene. Cobb is trapped in a dream even at the end of the film.
>>
It's good
>>
Wait has the dust settled yet? Anyone? I'm only going to post in this thread if the dust has settled.
>>
>>85486536
While the surface plot is a simple story told in a semi-complex way, I will give credit to the movie for this.

>It works as a action film
>It works as a heist film
>it works as a family drama (Both with cobb and Fischer)
>It works as a ode to filmmaking
>It works as a philosophical movie about the nature of knowledge with Neo-Platonist and other concepts.
>>
Obviously all of it is in the dream state. Mal was right. Inception doesn't exist.
>>
>>85485552
>>85485660
>>85486753
>>85486935
IT DOESN’T MATTER WAS IT REAL OR A DREAM
>>
>>85486836
Also, the top is a red herring in terms of clues. It's the one thing that irks me about the film. According to cobb himself the top is moll's totem so it makes no sense that he tries to use it. Whether or not it falls during the film means nothing in terms of cobb's reality.
>>
>>85486935
Strong arguments can be made that it is

>All a dream
>that everything after being put under in Mombasa is a dream
>He went into dream on the flight and woke up and is really with his family.

Also, for Cobb at least, it doesn't matter, he had the Catharsis of getting over Mal's death and be with his kids and be a dad. Might be a dream or might be reality, but he decided that were he wanted to be.
>>
Basically the movie ripped off that justice league episode years ago where doomsday puts the alien plant on Superman's face and he has to erase his parents and future son to get back to reality from a dream.
>>
>>85487154
ahh, its summer isn't it
>>
>>85487332
I can tell you're new. I haven't heard sunnerfag since I last been on b 4+ years ago. You supposed to say reddit cape kino or some shit like that
>>
>>85487499
I been here since LOST threads. I am a oldfag set it my ways.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjJ2AnQ6mmA

Here a good laugh since it a inception thread.
>>
You could just watch Paprika instead and get a much better and more creative film.
>>
>>85487542
Weird you got baited by my clearly non serious post. I felt like this movie was shutter island two and dicaprio overacts and ruins the movie as usual.
>>
>>85487575
Sorry, bad mood, no worries anon.

And yes, It is much like Shutter Island. I will say that Marion Cotillard does a good job with a thankless role of Mal and she looks stunning in it.

Also, I am always nicely surprised on how much money it made. For a non-reboot/sequel that not based on a novel/comic book, it what? Third for live action?
>>
>>85486366
>"Holy shit, knowing nolan they built a rotating set." while too many others would make that into a CGI fest.

It's actually pretty sad, while I don't like most of Nolan's newer stuff, he's one of the few big movie directors I can think of that will actually utilize a large amount of practical effects. I don't mean to shame special effects, because even Nolan does use them, but not many people who get large budgets nowadays seem willing to put some work into making sure the scenes look polished, instead opting to just have some people on computers do everything in post and it ends up looking like some goofy cartoon.
>>
>>85487906
It is.

Also since he willing to do that and not farm out the CGI a lot of times it cheaper then the CGI fests.
>>
>incepts wife to convince her to leave the dream
>doesn't just remove the idea of waking up post-fact in another dream
>>
>>85486799
You post the same fucking thing in every thread where Nolan comes up, except it's written differently every time so it doesn't even have pasta status to recommend it.
No one ever gives (you) because it's not nearly as intelligent or insightful as you think it is
>>
>>85485342
>YFW you realize it was all set up by the grandfather to figure out why his daughter died, and that Ariadne was a extractor and that why she tagged along to limbo to figure out what happened with Mal.
>>
File: 1443025006265.png (50KB, 736x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1443025006265.png
50KB, 736x1024px
>>85485342
>I know I am going to be facing the meme folks and the Anti-Nolan folks and people who hate films since other people like it.
Sounds like you've already made up your mind about it and are looking for people to echo your opinion. Might I suggest a site that is more tailored to your needs?
>>
File: Armond.png (547KB, 756x510px) Image search: [Google]
Armond.png
547KB, 756x510px
Recently marathoned the first half of Inception, I'm gonna need to know pic related opinion for marathoning the second half.
>>
>>85485342
>>85485552
>>85486366
>>85486520
>>85487756
>reddit spacing
Please ge tthe fuck out of my board
>>
File: tumblr_msq4gnxAI01rd9eobo1_400.gif (989KB, 400x135px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_msq4gnxAI01rd9eobo1_400.gif
989KB, 400x135px
>>85487567
This. Better film overall and Nolan shamelessly ripped entire scenes from it anyway
>>
I think it's an entertaining movie, but I think Nolan fucked up the concept of the kicks. Every time they're in a dream, the kick comes from above. That's why the music is played--to warn the subject that they're about to be kicked. However, this is changed at the end. Everyone has to have a kick both in their present dream level and in the one(s) above. So the people have to kick themselves during Snow Level by blowing up the building. This would be fine if they were waking the people in limbo, but limbo is escaped by killing yourself. And the people in Snow Level should've been awoken by the elevator crash. If you can point out where kicks are used in the present dream level anytime before the ending, I'll eat my keyboard.
>>
File: 1499559495111.png (34KB, 128x135px) Image search: [Google]
1499559495111.png
34KB, 128x135px
>>85489677
why does he look like that one washington nigger in this pic
>>
>>85485342
>Michael Caine incepted Leonardo Di Caprio so he'd come home
>>
>>85489799
No keyboarding eating required, but if I recall correctly when using the sedative version you have to have a kick in both the lower and upper level at the same time.

Thus for example, when the van hits the bridge, since both Author and the dreamers in the James bond type dream do not kick at the same time, everyone remains sedated and in dreams.

Thus they have to time the kicks with the van hitting the water.

Limbo is "you die you go all the way up" but it so real that is like committing suicide.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.