[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thoughts on the GOTG movies

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 9

File: landscape_xlarge.jpg (20KB, 270x200px)
landscape_xlarge.jpg
20KB, 270x200px
>Hard mode:
>Can't say Reddit, quips, memes, capeshit
>>
>>85452556
Reddit, quips, memes, capeshit.
>>
>>85452556
Best things to come out of Marvel along with season one of Daredevil.
Say what you will about memes and reddit, but the Guardians films are the best directed, most original and most memorable Marvel films.
This isn't the case with something like the the later Iron Man films, the Thor films or even Civil War, where directors don't have much free rein in how to direct, since they're mostly following Feige's plan. So the result is something that's wholly Gunn, and since he has that much more space to work, what he creates is 100% his, so it can be made with passion and inspiration, and not boardroom decisions.

James Gunn is honestly too good for Marvel, and I wish he was free from them to make this type of big films.
>>
Very fun, and anyone who says that Guardians 1 is better is blinded by "it was different"-isms. Guardians 2 is one of the only Marvel movies that feature characters with depth, who all have something to do, and a villain who connects intimately with the hero.
>>
>>85452556
>Hard mode:
>Can't say Reddit, quips, memes, capeshit

Except it's the only thing this movie is, you fucking redditor.
>>
>>85453391
This, fuck you OP is literally a capeshit movie about quips
>>
>>85452556
When the main character kicked the animals at the start of GotG1, right after his story about the frog, I thought James Gunn had somehow managed to make it an actually funny dark comedy. And then the animals snarled at the main character and I realized Gunn was a total sellout.

The scene with the ships linking into a grid to defend the city is the most retarded scene in any movie I can think of. Why does such an advanced civilization need human pilots if they're going to use zero human judgment? Use drones for that shit. I don't feel at all sympathetic to characters literally too stupid to live. It's a transparent attempt at making the villain look bad, after all the stupid unfunny humor has already ruined any chance of the triple-digit IQ audience taking it seriously.
>>
>>85452556

Excellent movies. Really surprised me and pulled me in to the bizarre universe.
>>
>>85452556
The first one is the best MCU movie
The second one is the second best MCU movie

Some autists on 4chan hate this because it's true so they try to make fun of the humor because they genuinely don't understand how to connect with other human beings. And all the while they bemoan the circlejerkiness of reddit
>>
>>85452556
I personally loved both movies. I prefer James Gunn's previous kino, Super, but he has done a fantastic job with these movies.

GotG is a fun movie that only really fails in two departments - it has a weak antagonist and it has very little character development. The latter I can excuse as the characters do all come as jackasses.

GotGV2 fixes both of my problems with GotG, but then comes in with a couple of new problems. The first is that the humour falls flat a lot. The second is that it doesn't link too well to the first movie.

I feel that this second problem is more to do with the movie being in the MCU. If Guardians of the Galaxy were its own individual trilogy, you would expect it to be leading up to Thanos being the villain in GotGV3, as he was presented as a looming evil who gave power to Ronan in the first movie.
>>
I like all the control Gunn gets.
They have enough weird to be refreshingly different from the other MCU movies and provide a good enough amount of pathos for a CGI racoon.
>>
>>85453825
>The first is that the humour falls flat a lot. The second is that it doesn't link too well to the first movie.

as someone who hates quips and indifferent to the first movie I fucking loved the second one
>>
Plebeian numale pandering garbage of the highest order
>>
>>85452556
Great light entertainment. Feels more organic than the new Star Wars movies. The characters all have distinct personalities which seem rare for most Hollywood blockbusters. /tv/ hates these movies because they are popular, it's as simple as that. If "Normies" enjoy it they won't like it.
>>
>>85452556

I really liked the first one but I got bored around halfway through.
They just took the original, turned it up to 11 and multiplied the poop and dick jokes by 20 and forget to tell a story

I think with this they tried to appeal more to kids and it showed with the quality of the jokes, character design and the plot even a literal retard could follow. I cant even remember what happened beyond IM MARY POPPINS YA'LL, IM GOING TO POOP IN YOUR BED PETER, TRASH PANDA etc
>>
>>85453390
>villain who connects intimately with the hero
>literally just wants to eat him

capeshitards ladies and gentlemen
>>
>>85453860
I'd say Star Lord and Drax are pretty damn alpha. If you wanna talk nu-male pandering garbage let's talk Scott Pilgrim!
>>
>>85453432

Except it literally isn't. Anyway, it was a well made space opera, enjoyable, stupid and funny with some great set pieces. The prison escape and most the final battle were very inventive and different, fuck it, it was very entertaining
>>
>>85452556
I didn't think anything much of the first movie, but I loved the sequel, it's definitely my favorite of the Marvel movies.
But I couldn't like the cutesy baby-Groot stuff at all.
>>
>>85454078
>being this rarted
>>
>>85454216
Same, it lost points with the baby-Groot and turd joke. But damn if the Kurt Russel didn't fix that.
>>
File: catroomguardian.jpg (35KB, 600x564px) Image search: [Google]
catroomguardian.jpg
35KB, 600x564px
>>85452556
I love the first but the second one was absolute trash. Whoever wrote the dialogue for the sequel needs to be lynched. Every other line was (Semi serious statement or question -> brain dead joke).
TASER FAAAAAAACE.
>>
My biggest issue (aside from the clear shift in humor to more kid-friendly) had nothing to do with the film itself
>be me
>GotG 2 comes out
>first one was surprisingly good given the soulless company that produces it
>decide to see it on a week later
>weekday matinee showing to offset exposure to Redditor audience 'auts'
>1pm on a Friday and the place is fucking packed
>fuckmylife.jpg
>various Disney and capeshit trailers before start
>retards literally yelling and hooting and yeahing at fucking trailers
>movie starts
>blatant overreacting at the slightest sign of humor
>EVERY. FUCKING. TIME.
>dread every scene with baby groot because that's when the women become vocal
>every DAWWW is followed by a minute of them chatting because women are cancer incarnate
>as sanity dwindles I remember the Upvote Reddit style pasta and chuckle
>scene where baby groot throws asshole off of catwalk: audience loses shit and claps
>scene where baby groot hits the correct button on bomb: audience loses shit and claps
>scene where Quill becomes Pac-man: you get my point
>end scene results in thunderous fucking applause
credits begin rolling, fuck the after-credit fuckery I'm out
>as the casuals begin to get up, several loud beckbeard types are loudly telling them "No wait! There are a bunch of scenes still!"
>clueless casuals sit back down as I flip one of them (wearing a Deadpool shirt no less) the fucking bird
>proceeded to rewatch a torrent of it the next night
>tfw had more enjoyment from a shit camrip covered with gookspeak than a theater ticket I fucking paid for
By the end of this experience I knew then that James Holmes is the hero Marvel deserves
>>
James Gunn is the only good director/writer Marvel has and I hope they let him do whatever he wants

He really went places since Scooby Doo
>>
>>85452836
BTFO
>>
Pretty good movie. I like how one random side movie in the Marvelverse had more consequences than the entire fucking "war" in Civil War. The only really bad thing I remember about it was that the Taserface shit didn't work at all on any level, and it made me think about Dairy Queen
>>
File: IMG_9429.png (372KB, 370x520px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9429.png
372KB, 370x520px
>>85453390
>Main characters just stand next to minor characters, look off into the distance and recite a monologue about what's happened to them in the past
>depth
Marvel spoon feeds character motivation to their infantalized audience, and they eat it up because Disney told them the spoon is a plane
>>
Guardians is the new Star Wars.
>>
File: kek 40 big.jpg (34KB, 292x257px) Image search: [Google]
kek 40 big.jpg
34KB, 292x257px
>>85455166
>dat filename
>>
>>85452556
>>Can't say Reddit, quips, memes, capeshit
Fuck me, I yield. There is nothing to say but this things
>>
>>85455396
What I mean by this is that while the movies have some flaws, the movies are sci fi fantasy with imagination put to use in a fun and memorable way.
>>
>>85452556
Good "buddy" movies. The characters have chemistry with each other.

I got a little fidgety toward the end of 2 though. It seemed to drag but maybe my opinion will change when I watch it again.
>>
>>85452556
it's fact that Zoe hasn't been in a single bad movie so obviously they can't be bad
>>
>>85452556
That's easy mode. Only people who've just looked at the posters say that shit. The film is more of a space opera than anything.

I quite like Quill's backstory and how they made the music part of the story the way they did.
A lot of the humour feels genuine rather than forced.

>>85453390
You're kind of overplaying Peter's bond with his father. There was more development with Gamora.
>>
File: 1495137270864.gif (927KB, 250x230px) Image search: [Google]
1495137270864.gif
927KB, 250x230px
>>85455166
>>dread every scene with baby groot because that's when the women become vocal
>>every DAWWW is followed by a minute of them chatting because women are cancer incarnate
i had the same experience anon

>calle
>>
GotG2 was poorly edited and the characters were dumbed down. Not looking forward to Stallone or Gold People in the MCU/Sequels.
>>
>>85452556
It's bland shit made for retards who like star wars cause it takes place in space, you can see what's going to happen from a mile away.

When I watched it, I was thinking through out "pls don't play out in such a tripe way." But it did, over and over again and for some reason people act like it so WACKY and FUN even though it's pre dictable tripe.

It takes things you've seen before and puts a layer of space paint on it, the enviironment is bland, they don't add any thing to the scenes other than to make it look "exotic." The character develop was shit they kind of just decide to group up suddenly and be a family cause that's what the movie wants to happen. And like I said you can see the humour coming from a mile, if you're not retarded that is.
>>
>>85456050
>making noise in cinema
so happy that im not living in ameritard
>>
File: IMG_9556.jpg (64KB, 630x720px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9556.jpg
64KB, 630x720px
Regarding Fondu's death...
>Why didn't Peter just wear his mask
>What was that Plot Device space bubble that apparently can't be taken off by the person wearing it? How do you even get it off?
>Why didn't Sean Gunn just pick them up like in the scene it mirrors from the first movie?
>Does Xanadu need oxygen
>Why do goofy comedy movies need to raze the steaks? Is Quill going to meet up with RDJ at PTSD Anonymous?
Dumbest fucking movie I've seen in a long time. Very few of the jokes landed, despite there being about ten every minute. Couldn't understand a single word out of Stallone's mouth.
>>
File: Marvel demograph.jpg (126KB, 507x319px) Image search: [Google]
Marvel demograph.jpg
126KB, 507x319px
>>85456320
Generally it's not an issue, foreignbro. But capeshit is like an autism magnet whose field is ever expanding
>>
1>>2
>>
>>85452556
Best thing Marvel has made desu
>>
>>85452556
So bad it's good
>>
>>85452556
They're great, I consider them a good trade off for the new Star Wars movies being boring as hell
>>
>>85456840
this desu but it's still reddit: the movies
>>
>>85452836
MODS
>>
crazy marvel let someone with some kind of vision make a movie.

guess now they can turn into their template for shit like thor
>>
they are really great
the second one is better than the first overall, but on initial viewing I enjoyed the first one more.

It falls apart when you rewatch it though, while vol 2 does not.
>>
>>85452556

Reddit: The Movie

>meme music
>cute racoon is liek hardcore!
>stronk womans with 'sassy' tude
>goofy color scheme and settings
>dad is revealed to be evil bad guy
>The Community is saved by dancing ;-)
>>
>>85452556
is the second one out on torrent yet in HQ?
>>
>>85457268
I wonder how Reddit would feel about Valerian? It has a lot of the same themes but might be too artsy and not enough Marvel for their tastes.
>>
Too many references, too much deference to overly long jokes. From what little I've read of Guardians, it was a lot more serious and they played up that these characters were more rogueish characters than straight super hero telling kids to stay in school.
>>
>>85453654
>The scene with the ships linking into a grid to defend the city is the most retarded scene in any movie I can think of.

How can they be winning a war in which they've killed the bad guy's father, grandfather, great grandfather, and so on if the best defense they have against 1 spaceship is a bunch of cop cars?
>>
>>85455166
America?
Im guessing it is, why do you clap during the film? No one does that here. It would make it hard to hear the next line
>>
>>85452556
Pissed when Vol1 ended with "The Power Of Friendship." That's some straight Doctor Who bullshit.
Stopped Vol2 with dancing Baby Groot.
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.