[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When did South Korea start making good movies???

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 6

When did South Korea start making good movies???
>>
they made movies?
>>
>>85449907
Shut up fucking asshole, lol
>>
>>85449907
wtf I hate Japan now
>>
>be korean movie character
>get caught up in a thriller situation
>>
File: Song Kang-Ho.jpg (15KB, 236x354px) Image search: [Google]
Song Kang-Ho.jpg
15KB, 236x354px
>>85450082
>be a korean movie
>this guy walks on your scene
>>
>>85450222
comfy engage
>>
>>85449907
It's highly overrated tho.
>>
>>85451761
You're overrated
>>
File: choi-min-sik-2.jpg (89KB, 450x318px) Image search: [Google]
choi-min-sik-2.jpg
89KB, 450x318px
>>85450222
You mean this guy.
>>
>>85449907
in the late nineties
>>
>>85449907
movie was really good, I can't deny. I dislike Korean drama and it seems like most Korean movies are drama but once in a while there is a movie like this or "I saw the devil".

I gotta say that movies like this are the reason why I'm still watching any movies, just look at how much successful shit movies the west has put out. It doesnt matter if the movie is good anymore as much as it used to be, now its all about the "BAM bum splash heroes transformers ATTACK" and "SEX oh HOT woman kissing blowjob hehe" because they west is becoming more and more dull and stupid.
>>
>Korea literally making movies that are better than Hollywood

Can white people do anything right?
>>
early 00's
>>
Bump. Does /tv/ not watch South Korean kino?
>>
I do. But I'm not Tv I'm mu. Tv is full of underage plebs with adhd.
>>
>>85451761
Hell no. Got what it deserved.
>>
I liked the movie, maybe thought it was a bit over rated but it's still good and maybe there were some points I missed.

What was the deal with both the jap and the exorcist collecting pictures, I get that they our both evil, but didn't one try to kill the other which rules out them being the same person, so why did they both collect pictures.
It's been a while since I saw the film but it just struck me as odd that they share that trait.
>>
>>85454751

I think the Jap was actually the wandering shaman he claimed to be, and I think he was actually trying to stop the plague of undead and shit that was going on.
The hostility of the locals resulted in his death, and in his anguish and anger, the devil took possession of his corpse.
I don't know though, shit is open to a LOT of possibilities.
>>
They always did
>>
>>85454751
The shaman and the jap are working together, with the jap actually being whatever their equivalent for the devil is. The scene with the exorcism/ritual is misleading, because the jap's ritual and the shaman's ritual happened at two different points; the shaman's ritual was actually meant to increase the control the jap had over the girl, which is why the girl was in such pain. The jap getting fucked up was because of the ghost girl, who is a guardian spirit of sorts that was trying to protect the village from the jap

There's a lot of supposed christian allusions because the director was christian but had to deal with a lot of tragedy, so it's been proposed that the movie was meant as a sort of critique of how people think christianity works. The ghost girl is meant to represent Jesus.
>>
>>85454751
>>85455721
With regard to the pictures thing, it's a method for capturing their souls. Asians in general believe that photography does a lot of spooky shit, so for the context of this movie the pictures are meant to capture the victims souls. This further supports the theory that the jap and the shaman are working together because the shaman keeps the pictures (souls) of the victims for safekeeping for the jap/devil.

Also explains why the jap was taking pictures of the priest at the end; he was taking his soul away.
>>
Fucking weebs I swear
>>
>>85455721
To expand on the whole Jesus/Christianity thing I mentioned, the ghost girl is basically responsible for protecting the village. This is why she is present when the shaman gets fucked up and is vomiting blood, and why the jap is seemingly afraid/hurt by her presence. She also does a bunch of other shit that supposedly helps out the MC and his family, but I don't remember it much right now. I got all of this from a video giving their own interpretation of the film so if I find it I'll post it.

She tries to protect the father, but cannot because he became a sinner by killing the Jap (who was merely an innocent man controlled by the devil; he only truly becomes the devil after he is killed). This makes it seem that the devil's plan for the girl will finally pull through. However, she does something to the house that will somehow protect the family, but because the father is a sinner, she begs him not to go to the house until the rooster caws or whatever. If the father goes to the house before his, his sinner status will fuck up the plan. However, she was being too fucking cryptic about it and the father goes anyway and ruins the whole plan.

It was proposed that this was the director's critique on christianity; that Jesus/God is supposed to love and care for humanity, but lets fucked up shit happen on Earth anyway. In the ways that God/Jesus try to help, they are through cryptic and non helpful ways that do more harm than good as opposed to simply making their presence and intentions clear.
>>
>>85456137
Found it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxjp2YIk798
>>
>>
>>85455721
>>85455822
>>85456137

Oh wow, I picked up on some of that but the fact that the shaman/jap scene wasn't a direct consequence of his dance didn't cross my mind.

Thanks, that's some good explanation there.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (18KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
18KB, 480x360px
I love it when they say SSHHHHHHHHHIBAL!! my nigga in pic related was great as the exorcist in The Wailing
>>
File: 43.webm (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
43.webm
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>85453726
I only watch Korean variety shows.
>>
>>85449907
Not with this shitty movie that's for sure.
>>
>>85449907
since the 90s
>>
They had a nice thriller scene in the 60s but disappeared until the 90s when they started making art house along with the rest of East Asia. Check out these directors.
>Hong Sang-soo
>Kim Ki-duk
>Kim Jee-woon
>Kim Ki-young
>Lee Chang-dong
>>
>>85449907
your late to the party, korean new wave is over already
>>
>>85458381
What's in now anon?
>>
>>85457447
Then you should watch New World (2013). He is bro-tier as fuck
>>
Great People's Democratic Korean film industry far head of capitalist american puppets. We make one film and one film only.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssP98RQ129M
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.