[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Prestige

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 5

File: 1500781951119[1].jpg (269KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1500781951119[1].jpg
269KB, 1280x1024px
Why didn't Tesla or whoever just copy gold bars? Or just copy lumber and keep selling it? Or anything?

Especially because Tesla being out of funds was a plot hole.
>>
You really think nobody would start asking questions how somebody suddenly started having loads of gold or lumber out of nowhere?
>>
>>85356984

Not in that age. Just go city to city. Anyways, by the time anyone caught on, you'd be set for life.
>>
>>85355117

Because Tesla knew how to control an obsession and knew he had to stop or it would destroy him.
>>
>>85355117
Because the machine didn't fucking work, dumbass. It was pure showmanship.
>>
>>85357102

So you watched half a movie, cool.
>>
>>85357043

So why didn't he make just enough gold to keep his science afloat?
>>
>>85357178
No, I watched all the way to the end. The difference is, I'm not a dumbass. Nolsn's version was actually a vast improvement on the original book.
>>
>>85357467

But the machine worked you dingus.
>>
>>85357467
The machine worked in both the movie and book.
>>
>>85357240

His science was his obsession
>>
>>85357037
because this is a story not real life. most characters in stories tend to be representative of themes unlike real life
>>
>>85357719

So why did he care if he was out of money and Tesla's men were torching his shit?

Stop making things up to fill out a plot hole.
>>
>>85355117
Because he watched that one episode of Duck Tails
>>
>>85357798

Who said he cared? He obviously left before Edison's men torched his place. And it was Serkis's character who was worried about money. Tesla just cared about the inventions.
>>
>>85357467
the machine literally worked you braindead simpleton
>>
>>85357857

Why didn't Tesla clone himself then so he could have 100 Tesla brains working in unison?
>>
>>85355117
why didn't frodo send his clone to mordor
>>
>>85358053

Why didn't they just invert the machine and clone the world?
>>
>>85357620
https://youtu.be/XHKan75x7GI

Count how many bodies you really see - not suggestions of them. The machine was never anything but a distraction. Hooker was firmly in Angier's camp. He's the one who identified "Angier" at the morgue. The only way Borden even knows the machine is "real" is from reading Angier's journal - the journal he wrote to ruse him in return for what Borden did to him to land him in America in the first place. The only guy who died was Angier's old double. The rest is all just showmanship and suggestion.

Even Hooker's narration points to that being the case. "You're not really looking. You want to be fooled."
>>
File: reece.jpg (27KB, 504x415px) Image search: [Google]
reece.jpg
27KB, 504x415px
>>85358243
>>
>>85358351
Who the fuck is Hooker?
>>
>>85357467
What's the difference between the movie and the book?
>>
>>85355117
he was just a good hatmaker
>>
>>85358351
Who drowned in the cage?
>>
>>85358547
Caine's character.
>>
>>85358740
Well first of all his name was Cutter. Second of all he was not firmly in Angier's camp. There's zero indication that he was in on Angier's revenge plot.
>>
>>85356984
You think people won't ask about those damn cats killing everything in town?
>>
>>85355117
because Bowie did whatever he wanted.
>>
>>85358728
Angier's old double. That's who Hooker identified at the morgue. We never get to see how Angier routinely did the trick. We only get to see how it went on the night when Borden went backstage. Angier and Hooker set him up.
>>
>>85358457

every time
>>
>>85358911
I haven't watched the movie in a while, what about the scenes where you literally see the cloned hats or where Angier shoots his clone after testing the machine for the first time? Are those diary flashbacks and not real?
>>
>>85358911
so when they show the scene of jackman originally copying himself it's just an imagination despite everything else being shown actually being real?
and what about the hats?
>>
>>85358351

So all the cloned hats and cat?
>>
>>85358796
My bad - Cutter. There were plenty of hints of that being the case, most notably "Obsession is a young man's game." He was reluctant, but he was still in, because he too blamed the death of Angier's wife on him and his refusal to ever say what knot he tied certainly wouldn't have helped.

His participation in the earlier kidnapping was already suggestive of how committed he was to Angier's grievance.
>>
>>85358979

lmao I forgot about that...I think the shooting of the clone firmly puts this retard theory to rest.
>>
>>85358979
>>85358998
It's just a dumb fan theory that doesn't hold up under scrutiny.
>>
>>85359057
All from Angier's fake account in the journal Borden was reading in prison.
>>
>>85359118
So during the scene when he finds out that 'Lord Caldlow' is actually Angier, he acts surprised because...?
>>
>>85359212

shit maybe the whole movie is just one big dream...whoaaaaaaa
>>
>>85358998 see >>85359212

>>85359142
If it's just a dumb fan theory, why does it line up so well with literally everything else said over the course of the movie, mainly that there's no real magic, just ugly, brutal truths dressed up to amaze a crowd that doesn't really want to know the truth?

The truth is that Angier's obsession raised his showmanship to such a degree that even Borden couldn't see through it. That's the simple, brutal truth, not that Tesla invented a quantum teleporter with turn of the century science.

>>85359229
Because Cutter is the narrator, and he isn't a reliable one. He's not telling that story to Borden. He's not telling it to Angier, and imagine that - he comes out of it all smelling like a rose.
>>
>>85359647
Calling Cutter the narrator is a pretty big stretch.
>>
>>85359854
Not when his is the first and last voice we hear it's not.
>>
>>85359647
I don't think this holds up. Cutter is disgusted by Angier and tips off the surviving Borden brother after making sure the machine is destroyed. Are you saying Angier being shot and killed at the end didn't happen either?
>>
>>85359647

Trying too hard.
>>
Why didn't Gandalf just clone an army of hobbits to zerg rush the ring into Mordor?
>>
>>85359647
>a quantum teleporter

But it wasn't a teleporter.
>>
>>85360087
I think it's Cutter compromising - the whole "an eye for an eye" thing. I think he knew that Angier's obsession had turned him into a monster, so he helped him get his "life for a life," then allowed the remaining brother to clean up the mess and walk away with as clear a conscience as he could.

That's ugly, brutal, and rings true to me.
>>
>>85360514
Eh... I don't know man. It doesn't seem like Cutter would be willing to go along with Angier all the way to that point (in your theory he knowingly helps drown an innocent man and then purposely misidentifies the body) and then suddenly grow a conscience.
>>
>>85357467
>one of Tesla's employees kept buying new top hats everytime they ran the machine

>Turns out Hugh Jackman had an endless supply of cheap body doubles to use but had to drown them all

What did they mean by this?
>>
>>85359647
>>85360087
>>85360514
Cutter knew from the start that Borden used a double, he could've confirmed it when he kidnapped Fallon, realizing that they were twins.
Angier asked him to run things up front when he asked for help, so Cutter was never backstage for all this - he didn't know about the double and thought Angier died that died. Upon visiting Lord Caldlow and realizing that Angier had not only fooled him, but also murdered Root and framed Borden for it he flipped and assisted Borden's remaining twin in taking revenge on Angier.

That's a TL;DR of what I understood from skimming through the theory on a forum.
>>
Actually while there's a thread up, who was the duplicate? The one in the machine or the one outside the machine?
>>
>>85360432
A quantum teleporter isn't either, technically - it's transferring information via quantum entanglement, essentially "cloning" the original.
>>
File: fb93ed1c27[1].jpg (196KB, 1920x937px) Image search: [Google]
fb93ed1c27[1].jpg
196KB, 1920x937px
>>85360708
It's possible that Cutter was oblivious to it. He was more of a manager the second time they teamed up.
>>
>>85360948

It's 50/50 chance. That's why he said when he went into the box he didn't know who he would come out as.
>>
>>85361113
But if that's the case, then the above theory falls apart. Cutter would have taken one look at the body and realized it was Root and not the real Angier.
>>
>>85360708
Well, that "double" was an ever-present threat of future blackmail. He'd already proven he was a piece of shit. A man will go to great lengths to protect his livelihood, especially if that livelihood is designing tricks and keeping them a secret.
>>
>>85357969
you lost. fuck off
>>
>>85361255
True. Since Cutter helped with his disguise and had worked with the man for quite some time he should easily have been able to ID a fraudulent Angier.
>>
>>85361250
I don't think it was even that. I'm the guy who doesn't think the machine works, but I used to think something almost equally horrible:

If the machine really does work, you can never know which is the "clone." You have identical memories right up to the point where there's a you by the switch and a you at the target. You both remember pulling the switch. Incidentally, that's about the best case you can make for why Angier didn't just let that first clone live - the loss of identity and never knowing which of you is the "original" could conceivably drive you fucking nuts.
>>
>>85361488

The dead Jackman was 100% Hugh Jackman though. So theory fails.
>>
>>85361550

But that scene was just an imagination from a journal, remember you retard?
>>
>>85361608
Once again, it's only Cutter telling us it's really Angier's body.
>>
>>85361693
Maybe try reading the entire post, retard.
>>
File: fd181cc1fb[1].jpg (121KB, 1920x811px) Image search: [Google]
fd181cc1fb[1].jpg
121KB, 1920x811px
>>85361608
Which seems to be confirmed in the last scene. Even if the machine supposedly didn't work and even if Cutter purposly or unknowingly misidentified Root as Angier in the morgue, they still clearly show a very Angier-looking body in the tank. If this isn't Angier or Root, who the fuck is it?

It's a really interesting theory, I'll give it that, but I haven't watched the movie in a long time so I can't recall which parts are diary flashbacks, which are narrated by Cutter etc.
>>
Even though every Prestige thread goes the exact same way, they're still fun and comfy to read. Thanks lads.
>>
I can't find the scene where Cutter IDs Angier's body. Where in the movie is it?
>>
>>85362684
I think it either comes somewhere near the trial proceedings at the beginning or right after Borden first gets Angier's journal in prison.
>>
well I need to watch it again now. theory-anon do you have a link to the complete theory? it actually sounds plausible considering the whole point of the movie is about fooling audiences for a show, while most of those theories people pull out their asses.
>>
>>85363106
Maybe I've got the wrong cut, I can't find the scene.
>>85363307
not him but http://www.nolanfans.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14008 is what google showed me, covers most of it
>>
>>85357969
Lol get fucked.
>>
>>85363353
I'll see if I can run it down on Youtube.
>>
>>85363353
>Cutter, who was a master of characterization, obtained and appropriately characterized several corpses (men in boxes no one cares about) to resemble Angier, the effect being aided by the obfuscation in the warehouse and of the water-tanks themselves.

Goes off the rails a bit here.
>>
>>85363589
Only one corpse is ever shown IIRC, this one >>85361871 but yeah that does sound crazy since Cutter otherwise seems to be a pretty levelheaded guy with no real beef to settle
>>
>>85357037
>>85356984
>>85355117
In the novel, Angier does this.

>Nonetheless the novel makes it clear that Tesla’s machine actually works. We learn of the machine through Angier’s diary, and Angier is a reliable narrator for the simple fact that he has no reason to lie in his own diary, and good reason to deny the existence of the machine rather that confess to its existence. For example, each time Angier clones himself, he puts money or gold in his pockets to clone that as well and supplement his wealth.
>>
>>85357043
Are you serious?

Not sure if you're saying this in the context of the film, or actual history?

Tesla had insane, crippling OCD.

>>85355117
Tesla only saw money as a means to an ends. Specifically, to fund his projects.
Thread posts: 76
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.