[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

No Country for Old Men

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: no-country-for-old-men.png (2MB, 1920x816px) Image search: [Google]
no-country-for-old-men.png
2MB, 1920x816px
I've seen quite a few people use this movie a conservative movie, but I really think the opposite. Throughout most of the movie, Jones' character demonstrates a belief that criminals - and things in general - are worse than they used to be, that society has somehow degraded. This is particularly apparent in the opening monologue and in his conversation with his counterpart just after Moss is murdered.
Then, though, the movie pulls the rug out from the under the audience with Jones' uncle's story, the point of which is that country life has always been violent and there have always been monstrous people in that land. The movie's suggesting that Jones is wrong, and that people have always been violent - and always will be.
And that ends up being a pretty common theme in a lot of McCarthy's work (e.g. Blood Meridian). So my point is that it's not particularly conservative, and is really pretty apolitical in general. It's more of a statement about humanity. (that's obviously not what the whole movie is about; there's also a lot of stuff you could say about Jones' character and what he represents, but that's not relevant to what I'm talking about).
>>
I think OP is right and he's also a pretty cool guy
>>
Bump for interest
>>
Why did sugar run from the sheriff?
>>
>>85351196

it's conservative because it says the respite from that is the civilization we've built for ourselves, and without civilization you get The Road.

The Road, The Sunset Limited, and The Counselor are the bridge that makes McCarthy's work political and not just fatalistic "well i guess that's just human nature" stories. the boy in The Road is born essentially good despite being born into a world without civilization (see also the motif of "carrying the fire" present in both No Country and The Road), The Sunset Limited posits that it's ultimately a conscious personal choice of how one chooses to see the world and what they do with that perspective is up to them, and The Counselor is all about how that personal choice reverberates outward to societal level ("the slaughter to come is probably beyond our imagining")

the civilization of The Counselor and No Country will lead us to The Road, which is just a return to the time of Blood Meridian, and which can still be renewed by the boy in The Road, just as the insane violent assholes who populate Blood Meridian are lost to time and replaced by the settlers in the last scene (which again has the motif of fire in it, of humans making and cultivating fire)
>>
>>85352083
I don't see how that makes it conservative. The idea that civilization tames and cages our more violent instincts really strikes me as more of a liberal idea than anything.
>>
>>85352470
Liberalism is all about indulging primal urges. Fucking each other asses like monkeys.
>>
>>85352470

http://www.nytimes.com/books/98/05/17/specials/mccarthy-venom.html

>"There's no such thing as life without bloodshed," McCarthy says philosophically. "I think the notion that the species can be improved in some way, that everyone could live in harmony, is a really dangerous idea. Those who are afflicted with this notion are the first ones to give up their souls, their freedom. Your desire that it be that way will enslave you and make your life vacuous."
>>
>>85352543
That's a misrepresentation of modern liberalism. Sure, a lot of liberals would advocate for what amounts to hedonism, but that's a far cry from advocating for freedom to commit violence.
>>
>>85351196
>>85352470
Why do the labels "conservative" and "liberal" matter in this context? Because you want to reduce the movie's ideas to a loose label that you associate yourself to, or distance yourself from? Do you base part of your identity around "I'm an -ist and I believe in -ism" because that's simpler than investigating the underlying ideas and seeing which parts agree with you? Do you allow a label to cage your beliefs, or do you welcome conflict and insight and seek to use then to augment your self-built version of truth, piece by piece?
Truth isn't liberal or conservative.

This thread has potential for good discussion. Threads about this film generally do. But the labels that represent a very blurry collection of people and ideas, and the underlying us v them mentality, are doing you -- and us -- a disservice.
>>
>>85351906

his mana was low from the last fight, anton was pretty practical in picking his battles
>>
>>85352621
I still don't see how that's a particularly conservative statement. I guess he might as well be saying that liberal attempts to build a peaceful utopia are futile, but that's still only a a vaguely conservative statement, and that's still only one small piece of conservatism.
And hell, I could turn that around and say that McCarthy is saying that *conservative* attempts to impose "law and order" (famous words of Nixon and Trump) on society are futile. So again, it's a pretty apolitical statement that could go both ways.
>>
The final section of the poem the book got its title from.

Once out of nature I shall never take
My bodily form from any natural thing,
But such a form as Grecian goldsmiths make
Of hammered gold and gold enamelling
To keep a drowsy Emperor awake;
Or set upon a golden bough to sing
To lords and ladies of Byzantium
Of what is past, or passing, or to come.
>>
>>85352829
Yeah, I alluded to that when I pointed out that it's really a pretty apolitical movie. I just made the thread because I've often seen "/conservativecore/" threads where No Country for Old Men is almost always brought up.
>>
>>85352876
what did he mean by this
>>
>>85351196
Do you like Coen Bros? I've been a big fan ever since the release of their 1998 movie, The Big Lebowski. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on The Big Lebowski where the Coens' presence became more apparent. I think No Country for Old Men was the bro's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding twelve movies. Listen to the brilliant ensemble dialogues of Tommy Lee Jones, Javier Bardem and Josh Brolin. You can practically hear every nuance of every syllable. In terms of filmmaking craftsmanship, the sheer screenwriting, this movie hits a new peak of professionalism. Take the writing to Hail, Caesar! In this movie, the Coen Bros address the problems of abusive political authority. The Big Lebowski is the most moving comedy film of the 1990s, about monogamy and commitment. The film is extremely uplifting. Their lines are as positive and affirmative as anything I've seen in comedy. The Coen Bros' duo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially films like Fargo and O Brother, Where Art Thou? But I also think the Coens work best within the confines of their partnership, than as solo artists, and I stress the word artists.
>>
>>85353801
Good stuff
>>
>>85351196
The whole point of the film is that things have always been difficult, and that there are some aspects of humanity that are too "evil" to understand or even deal with.
>>85351906
Chigurh and the Sheriff never meet once in the film.
>>85352083
This is the correct opinion.
>>
what about the hotel scene
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.