[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Malick Question

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 6

File: images.jpg (15KB, 263x350px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
15KB, 263x350px
What went wrong, /tv/? How do you go from masterpieces like Days of Heaven and Thin Red Line to pure self-indulgent self-parody trash like this? Is Chivo meme cinematography to blame for this?
>>
Malick might be the only director on earth who managed to make a war movie boring as fuck.

Really, i'm amazed.

Badlands and Days of Heaven were great, ill agree, but everything after was complete pretentious LE DEEP dogshit.
>>
>>85348835

The New World and Tree of Life are his best films. Thin Red Line, Days of Heaven, and Badlands are all masterpieces.

To the Wonder is very, very good.

Song to Song is very solid.

Knight of Cups is bad.
>>
>>85348835
Song to Song is an amazing film, perhaps you're just uneducated regarding cinema.
>>
>>85348835
>What went wrong
That he made straightlaced garbage like Badlands and Days of Heaven before his resurrection.
>>
they're already here.....

malick fanboys : You just don't understand. You have to become one with Malick, and become one with the trees and air. Terrance Malick films are a journey, you just don't understand the journey he's taking you on. You're too immature to understand what his films MEAN, what they TRULY MEAN. you don't understand love, or what Malick is trying to tell you about love. get out of here with your bullshit opinions and shitty film taste, unless you like The Tree of Life or Song To Song you don't understand true filmmaking like Terrance Malick. that shot of a goat has more meaning than your entire life. "The world wants to be deceived." You just don't understand what these words mean because you do not understand the genius of Malick.
>>
File: t-dog.png (102KB, 358x286px) Image search: [Google]
t-dog.png
102KB, 358x286px
>>85348835
He needs to take another vacation while there's still time.

>>In early 2000, during an interview with Le Monde[18] regarding his new production facility[19], Poilâne asserted that he had unwittingly employed Malick between the years of 1980 through 1986 as an apprentice baker. Malick was using the pseudonym Antoine de Tournesol, and Poilâne recalled one of his interview responses 'de Tournesol' gave for wanting to work with him; "Our minds are like dough, our hearts like flame." De Tournesol was a model employee, according to Poilâne, and the reason given for leaving was "hearing again the drums of war." Poilâne proceeded to laugh the experience off, and was apparently "fond of Antoine's war movie," though didn't care for the pacing.[20]
>>
>>85349900
>he's not one with the reality
lmao go align with dasein my nig
>>
>>85348835
He's just really hit or miss. He has idea's which he thinks are good, and some are.. Some don't quite hit the mark.
>>
wow this was an informative discussion, thanks television and film board
>>
Like plummer said

The guy needs a writer. Badly
>>
>>85351570
Go climb a tree, Christopher
>>
File: Song.To.Song.2017.jpg (136KB, 1280x536px) Image search: [Google]
Song.To.Song.2017.jpg
136KB, 1280x536px
>>85348835
But this was heaps better than Knight of Cups.
>>
>>85348835
His autistic way of filmaking just really makes his recent films hit or miss
>>
>>85351570
If this is the discussion panel I think you're referencing, then it happens to be Fassbender was also participating. Yet he went to star in a lead role in Song to Song.
>>
>>85348835
yeah i love every one of his films except for this one desu. it wasn't terrible, it just wasn't great at all really
>>
>>85348835
>>85349755
ToL>TRL>KoC>DoH>Bad>TtW>StS

still need to watch the new world and that voyage of time
>>
>>85348835
>self-indulgent

You're blinded by being fan. This guy's films are all self-indulgent. He films hours upon hours of scenes with his actors, then cuts them in favor of endless scenes of waving wheat that he somehow deems more relevant.
>>
File: 1465396009530.png (61KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
1465396009530.png
61KB, 320x320px
This film is absolutely remarkable, pathetic thread so far.

>In his new film, “Song to Song,” Malick does something new with his familiar technique: he builds his cathedral from the ground up, filming mainly in his home town of Austin, Texas, and anchoring the movie on a starkly clear framework—a simple story of couples in doubt and conflict. But within his story of a shifting romantic triangle he develops both a teeming, harshly emotional web of relationships and an overwhelming, rapturous variety of visual experience. Forging under pressure a new way of telling familiar (and family) stories, Malick also displays a conspicuously painterly boldness, a sort of cinematic Impressionism that locates an indelible force of light and detail in the stuff of daily life.
>>
>>85353983
Post a single shot from Song to Song that had wheat in it.
>>
I think Radegund will hopefully get Malick back on track somewhat
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.