[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Nolan fag here Saw it last night. Absolute amazing filmmaking...

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 337
Thread images: 19

File: Dunkirk_Film_poster.jpg (127KB, 220x326px) Image search: [Google]
Dunkirk_Film_poster.jpg
127KB, 220x326px
Nolan fag here

Saw it last night. Absolute amazing filmmaking... but God it was boring.

I'm not a fan of character exposition but christ that doesn't mean there has to be none. I'd like to at least know who the fuck I'm watching struggle to survive.

The classic Nolan, non-linear time approach was completely unnecessary. Just leaves you confused about when every scene is occurring through 90% of the movie.

It was very well made but I was ready to fall asleep half way through. The tone for entire movie is suspense and fear. But it just gets numb at a point. I honestly feel bad for dragging my girlfriend out to watch it with me. This is not one of Nolan's best.
>>
>>85327480
If you got bored, then you are either a complete soft little faggot or have mental disability. The movie was even under 2 hours.
>>
>>85327480
I'm not a Nolanfag and I really liked it... really makes you think
>>
OK so no surprise that a post which doesn't sound like it was written by (((((them))))) gets no reply. I haven't seen the film, but sounds like it's classic Nolan again. Gets hold of some neat idea, in this case a movie with no dialogue( a complete 360 of his previous style), then meme the shit out of it to cater to the reddit crowd.
>>85327919
Like this guy. Either reddit or poo in loo. Here's your 2 cents.
>>
>>85327943
What do you like about it?
>>
>>85327943
Think about what exactly? There was nothing but a few contrived and unoriginal representations of 'war is hell'.
>>
>>85327480
>God it was boring
>Just leaves you confused about when every scene is occurring through 90% of the movie.
>I was ready to fall asleep half way through.

t:brainlet
>>
>>85328113
>There was nothing but a few contrived and unoriginal representations of 'war is hell'

If you unironically only got that from this kino, then there is no hope for you, there was so much human drama in this, which felt real, not contrived.
>>
File: 1365829531321.png (327KB, 495x498px) Image search: [Google]
1365829531321.png
327KB, 495x498px
Entertaining and pretty to look at? Sure. Insightful or reached for a greater meaning like a good film should? No.
>>
>>85327986
>posts about a movie I haven't seen but want too agree with because it goes against the grain are the only ones not by (((them)))
Do you see yourself? Is this how you imagined it would all turn out?
>>
didn't find it confusing at all, lot of the time changes are predictable
every image is fantastic & beautiful
the sounds are amazing
dialogue? who cares fuck off
also the boys are kawaii
goat kino folks
>>
>muh dialogue
>muh relatable characters
>muh greater meaning
this is what happens when you allow brainlets on your board
>>
>>85328059
It entertained me for 2 hours, was shot well, had great sound and was tense as fuck. I wasn't bored at all
>>
>>85327480
>I'd like to at least know who the fuck I'm watching struggle to survive.

some ordinary 18 yo dude who was drinking with his bros and fucking Mary Jane in a barn yesterday and today is dodging German bombs and bullets
if you're a man you can relate perfectly, well except for the whole fucking part
>>
File: Mike.png (1MB, 441x603px) Image search: [Google]
Mike.png
1MB, 441x603px
Will he hate it?
>>
>>85328269
>>85328199
You've got to actually explain why he's wrong, shills
>>
>>85328305
>he
Nice samefag friendo. We can see your IP you stupid cunt
>>
>>85327480
>IT WAS BORING
>NO CHARACTERIZATION
I am glad that I have lived to see the day when Nolan created the ultimate pleb filter.
>>
>>85328331
At least you're admitting to it
>>
>>85328354
Wot
>>
>>85328299
It's so predictable that he will hate it.

Jay will love the non-linear film-making but will have his opinion sidelined as usual.
>>
>start music at 4:00
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcgV4RZ874Y

>"What is it, sir? What do you see?"
>"Home."

manly tears in cinema were shed
>>
>>85328404
I hope so. The number of people on here parroting his opinion will be huge and Dunkino will become the best pleb filter on the market
>>
>>85328240
Are you fucking stupid? It's not Nolan's first movie. I already know his movies are shit. It being good would be a surprise.
>>
>>85328404
>it's too cold and unhuman
>can't relatable to characters, even can't tell them apart
>muh plot is nonexistent

screencap this
>>
>>85328457
Do you think you answered my question?
>>
Kinos Women won't understand
Kinos Americans won't understand

You have to understand the British spirit to understand this kino.

The old man is old to enough to have been in, or at least experienced World War One. In WW1 millions, literally, died. Many millions more were wounded, shellshocked, and ruined. WW1 changed british society more than any other event in history, and the old man knew this, and knew that he was going out, quite possibly to die, to save others. Not because he had to, but because the only thing standing between society surviving and collapsing is the courage of men. This film isn't even about war, and if brainlets think it is then so be it.

There are no other characters really because soldiers never should be characters, the only mistake I think Nolan made was making the pilot out to be a hero. It would have been more fitting that his plane just stopped working and he crashed and died out of shot.
>>
How many of you went in not knowing much about Dunkirk or even ww2 basic history? Why is this considered a good thing and attribute it to the movie?
>>
>>85328305
What's there to explain to someone who goes "waaaah so boring waaaaaah"?
"boring" or "nothing happens" are not valid arguments. As for the characters, they were intentionally pretty regular young britbois who get scared shitless and try to get the fuck out of there by any means possible.
I for one loved the decision of Nolan to make such a strong subjective POV from the soldiers with no usual FunnyComicReliefSoldier1 FatSoldier2 NerdGlassesSoldier3 BraveHeroProtagonistSoldier4 etc, no fake empathy/sentimentality bullshit, just straight psychological fear through survival.
>>
>>85328547
Americans believe ww2 started with pearl harbor
>>
>>85328279
Holy shit all shills sound exactly the same. Oh the sound was good, and the cinematography was good, and the editing was good. Was really good! Honest!
>reminder that shills are given notes on what to say
>>85328496
No because your questions are fucking stupid.
Sage.
>>
>>85328454
>>85328479
It will be hilarious when Mike completely misses the point of the movie like his fellow pleb, Jeremy Jahns.

>ITS BORING
>I WANT MUH CHARACTERS
>I NEED EXPOSITIONAL DIAGLOGUE TO EXPLAIN WHATS HAPPENING BECAUSE I AM STUPID
>>
>>85328512
have another 0.02 on me
>>
>>85328585
Russians belive WW2 started in 41
>>
>>85328211
Yeah that basically sums it up. Which is disappointing because Nolan is usually so good at doing both
>>
>>85328588
You don't have to like it mate. You don't have to be so angry, we're all friends here
>>
>>85328632
POO
>>
>>85328588
You literally haven't even seen the fucking thing. Lmfao, who is the real shill?
>>
>>85328619
And the war between Japan and China started in 1937 with minor fighting since 1931
>>
>>85328453
Thought he said hope
>>
>>85328588
And usually you get nothing but detailed essays for posts about other films here, right?
The sound design and the visuals were the highlight of the movie, ofcourse most people will then comment on that element.
>>
>>85328727
No he definitely said home
>>
>>85328577
Take The thin red line for example, a movie nolan has praised and has attributed to being a big inspiration to the movies he's made. The power of cinema and how the viewers take it all in and react to what they're shown. Nolan has surprisingly done the inverse of this with dunklirk and created a clinical play by play of events, throwing many of his signature artistic meta possibilities we've seen in things like The Prestige and Inception away. It's an exciting and compelling 1hr40 mins but lacks a lot of depth. If all you can focus on is american cliche's as being the alternative, you're the true pleb.
>>
>42 replies
>13 posters

Yeah, i'm done for dunkirk now. Shills can die.
>>
>>85328865
>WAHHHHH PEOPLE ARE TALKING ABOUT A RECENTLY RELEASED FILM ON THE FILM AND TELEVISION BOARD
>>
>>85328756
Michael Bay shit also has visual and sound moron. How does it make the movie good. I don't expect an essay. I expect at least some reasoning. Just saying this is good that is good means I will deem you a shill.
>>
>>85328865
>threads should have equal amount of replies and posters
>people should not be having conversations with multiple people in the community
how does it feel to be actually literally retarded?
>>
>>85328822
I found Dunkirk way more immersive and engaging than The Thin Red Line. Dunkirk isn't supposed to be poetic or "le deep", it's a film about transporting a fuckload of people from point A to point B under constant danger.
Yes Nolan likes Malick and The Thin Red Line, but he never said he tried to do anything like that here. He screened The Wages of Fear for the entire cast and crew before filming for them to get a sense of what kind of feel he wants portray, and now after watching Dunkirk it makes perfect sense with all the tension ramping up.
>>
I agree visuals, audio, and all production aspects were amazing. But that's only part of what makes film great. I hate those fucking elitist film students that focus all their effort in the visuals and audio. What makes film great is the plot, the characters, the story that moves you. This was a great, great movie. I think it turned out exactly how Nolan wanted it. But I could have gone to the restroom and grabbed snacks for 30 minutes and I wouldn't have missed anything important...
>>
>>85328995
>>85328929
I've contributed more to the discussion than either of you lot, it's painfully obvious though, they repeat the same talking points each thread.
>>
>>85328865
So it's not just me noticing the same fags shilling up the place
>>
>>85329029
>But I could have gone to the restroom and grabbed snacks for 30 minutes and I wouldn't have missed anything important...

Apart from the experience, which is part of it, if you were watching this for a story (hint: everyone who isn't a brainlet knows what happened at dunkirk anyway) you were watching for the wrong reasons.
>>
>>85327480
Stop being contrarian.
>>
>>85328948
But Michael Bay visuals and sound design are a completely uncoherent stuffed mess with no clear thought, especially compared to Hoytema's framing and composition.
And I thought I was desensitisized to the usual Hollywood shooting and killing with thousands of weightless bullets flying left and right, while here a single bullet felt like an actual threat for everyone's life, on and off-screen.
The opening shot alone gave me PTSD, from the city shootout to that first Stuka beach dive bombing while I can watch a whole city crumble in a whatever Michael Bay film and not feel a damn thing.
>>
>>85329070
I watch movies in general for the stories anon
>>
File: 1498331001107.png (85KB, 273x252px) Image search: [Google]
1498331001107.png
85KB, 273x252px
>>85327480
I bet you're the kind of faggot who says "who're the badguys" while halfway through the film
>>
>>85329070
Fucking hell this is what happens to you when you poo in the street. You become a moron.
>>
>>85328211
It's called national pride. It's called remembering the sacrifices of your forefathers. It's called remembering what has been pushed out of schools and everyday life. It's called fighting for home, for family, for what you believe in. It's called remembering who you are before you disappear into the ash heap of history. If a movie has to literally tell you what it means, you're retarded.
>>
>>85329057
>no IDs on /tv/
>no way of knowing who posted which reply
Well meme'd friendo
>>
>>85329029
>What makes film great is the plot, the characters, the story that moves you.
Visual storytelling is what makes film great, not the written narrative.
Do you think Tarkovsky or David Lynch are incompetent filmmakers then?
>>
I like war films, but generally about the terrors of war. My favourites are:
1. Apocalyse Now
2. The Thin Red Line
3. Platoon
4. Full Metal Jacket
5. Bridge on the River Kwai

Would you recommend this to me?
>>
>>85329169
I've seen the EXACT last two lines in another thread
>>
>>85329006
Yeah I know that, i'm using it as an example, an example more so to reflect nolans style and his other movies. He's wandered away from it and aspired to create a more personal in the moment experience for the viewer, more simplistic. I'm making the argument if you don't aspire to reach for greater meaning from things you're limiting how good of a movie it actually can be.
>>
>>85329222
Please give 3 examples of Nolan telling a story through visual. Go ahead.
Also Tarkovsky is a hack. Here's your 2 cents.
>>
>>85329249
Maybe the same person is posting in this thread?
>>
>>85327480

sorry your girlfriend is a plebe, mate. i saw dunkirk with mine and she loved it so much she recommended we see it again next weekend, in imax.

>>85329232

yes, a hundred times.
>>
>>85329169
OP here, shouldn't be comparing this to Michael Bay work. Filmmaking here is on another level. Despite finding Dunkirk boring, I'd watch it a billion times before subjecting myself to a Michael Bay film.
>>
>>85329169
Why are you talking about Michael Bay you fucking street shitter.
>>85329279
POO
>>
>>85327986
>I haven't seen the film, but it sounds like

My god, there are actual people alive who unironically allow /tv/ to dictate their opinions. Don't bother seeing the movie anon, you don't deserve to.
>>
>>85329345
I'm gonna pirate it. You're not getting a fucking cent from me.
Sage.
>>
We can argue forever is the film truly great or not, but I think we can all agree that the world is a richer place with it being made.
>>
>>85329175
That's retarded. That means you are barely following along. Why put something on film if the only part that matters could just be written on one sheet of A4 paper? Story as you mean it is the least of a Director's responsibilities. Same with writing. What's the story of Old Man and the Sea? An old man tries to catch a big fish and be does, but then he dies. I guranfuckingtee you the story is one of the east relevant parts. Movies are a visual medium. If don't care about the visuals, you're. of watching a movie.
>>
>>85329384
Exactly. It's definitely kino, but that doesn't mean you have to like it.
>>
>>85329220
Nice contribution though, have your money.
>>
>>85329372
how new are you?
>>
>>85329267
Yeah, he went from being postmodern fucboi to actually wanting to contribute meaningful art.
>>
I think most Nolan films receive too much praise and attention on most days. Inception is nothing more than a wasted concept. So I am surprised that even some Nolanfags find this film boring when I feel it's well in his top 2 (the other being The Prestiege). Do Nolan fans go in expecting crazy visuals or something? I don't know but I was engrossed in the film as son as it had the scene of the 2 blokes carrying the stretcher across the beach.
>>
>>85329308
>>85329327
Because that first anon I replied too mentioned Michael Bay's visuals and sound for comparison, which I agree was absurd.
>>
>>85327480
worst nolan film since memento

dull cinematography
out of place musical score
treated too much as a thriller than as a war film
shitty disjointed editing jumping from a day scene to a night scene

just shut it down...
I'd have preferred just watching band of brothers and SPR again

the only thing I did like was the roar of the spitfire engines and the screams of the stuka planes
>>
>>85329277

1. the two soldiers meet on the beach. one is burying a dead man with bare feet before we see the soldier tying his own shoe laces. this illustrates how desperate the situation is, that soldiers would rob boots from the dead, and sets up a future plot point. no dialogue required.

2. the same soldiers find a stretcher with a wounded man on it. they pick up the stretcher wordlessly and carry it to the boat. initially we are led to believe the soldiers are being selfless, but we then realize (if we are paying attention) that the soldiers were using the wounded man as an excuse to get free passage onto the boat. this was never explicitly said, but was instead implied sans dialogue.

3. the pilot, flying alone and low on fuel, sees a bomber heading for a boat. he silently has to make a choice, to save himself or to save the men. no dialogue required.

i could go on. but i've made my point. dunkirk is a movie that demonstrates how powerful visual story telling can truly be. it presents an experience that cannot be gleaned from a book, a video game, or even a tv show. dunkirk is a MOVIE, and needs to be seen in a theater to be truly appreciated.

however, i believe ive wasted my time explaining this to you, as you clearly would be more entertained by sticking to capeshit and bayformers.
>>
>>85329308
Being bored usually says more about the person than the thing. You need to grow up.
>>
>>85329372
I don't see how I'd get a cent from you anyway, kid
>>
>>85328631
Aha no
>>
>>85329477
That was me retard. I merely mentioned him. You wrote a fucking essay about Michael Bay in a nolan thread. Are you retarded because you poo in the street?
>>85329483
I haven't seen the fucking movie idiot. Give examples from previous movies.
SAGE
SAGE
SAGE
>>
>>85329062
Nope, their pasted talking points are paper thin too.
>>
>>85329482
>treated too much as a thriller than as a war film

But it wasn't a war film
>>
>>85329372
I genuinely feel sorry for everyone who will watch Dunkirk first time when the torrent is out. I can't imagine someone experiencing the same thing when that first Stuka beach attack comes in if you watch it on your computer. The cinema experience is worth it for the sound alone.
That first shot when the brit is drinking water visibly startled the entire theatre where I was, every single shot in the film had weight to it. One of the better cinema experiences of recent times.
>>
>>85329482
>one of the greatest war films ever made
>thinks it shit.
Have you actually ever met a veteran? Do you know anything about war? Have you ever evolved from reading cardboard picture books?
>>
>>85329217
A FUCKING RETREAT
>>
>>85329482
As disorienting as that day to night scene is when it happens, it makes sense later on.
>>
>>85329579
It was incredible. Almost traumatic. I will have a hard time ever watching it anywhere but a theater.
>>
>>85329579
Actually the best way is to watch it in cinema (3 times) then when the bluray is out you should buy 1 for you and 1 for your boyfriend because this movie MUST be seen in 4k guys. It's that good.
SAGE
>>
I don't think this is really a movie, as much as museum bait for all those museums that have IMAX screens attached to them, like the one at the USAF museum or the Alamo museum that only shows historical or semi-historical war films. I can see this playing on a double feature after Alamo 7 Days of Glory (sit movie but because it was an early IMAX experiment and about the Alamo gets constant play in San Antonio)
>>
>>85329217
It's called a completely visceral experience that relies on all previously established and unoriginal themes you listed that have already been extensively explored in other movies, but just because it was done in a subtle toned down non verbose american way we should ignore the fact that the movie didn't strive to achieve anything outside of it's face value.
>>
>>85329217
"The cheapest sort of pride is called national pride. For if a man should br proud of his own nation, it argues that he has no qualities of his own of which he can be proud; otherwise he would not have recourse to those which he shares with so many millions of his fellowmen. The man who is endowed with important personal qualities will be only too ready to see clearly in what respects his own nation falls short, since their failings will be constantly before his eyes. But every miserable fool who has nothing at all of which he can be proud adopts, as a last resource, pride in the nation to which he belongs; he is ready and glad to defend all its faults and follies tooth and nail, thus reimbursing himself for his own inferiority."
>>
>>85328948
If you can't differentiate between Bays sound and visual and the stuff the anons are talking about, you're a fucking moron who needs to leave
>>
>>85329558
>haven't seen the fucking movie
>makes multiple posts in the thread arguing about the same film

Are you an actual autist?
>>
>>85329614
Did you watch the fucking movie? How can anyone be so fucking stupid. Ordinary citizens with no training took their boats across u-boat infested waters to save their boys. A military failure, but is their really anything more emblematic of the British national identity? It's like there's a Nelson in every man woman and child. 300,000 should have died there. Instead they were saved by the love and pride of their countrymen. I practically wept in the theatre knowing I would never be half a man as those.
>>
>>85329372
what you mean to say is that you cant afford/have no friends to go to the cinema with

this "LE YOU AINT GETTIN MY MONEY" meme is basement dweller loser talk
>>
>>85329558
>gives an example of visual storytelling
>WAHHH I HAVEN'T SEEN IT, PLEASE SPOONFEED ME
>>
>>85329762
>>85329777
>>85329783
POO
>>
>>85329851
I'm with ya bud, keep it up. Shills are delusional if they think they're tricking anyone.
>>
>>85329851
You seem like a really cool guy anon
>>
>>85328512
This.

I was almost expecting just that, for the pilot to die off screen, but then we would never have had that amazing sequence of him landing on the beach as the sun set
>>
>>85329752
I guess you're right--no one can ever talk about love and death and life and pride and purpose and hardship and trauma and heroism or anything else ever again because It's already been done. What makes a good movie is solely the novelty of its theme, regardless of everything else. That's why there's only one painting of Jesus anywhere in the world. It's why Sergio Leone didn't make any western, because Ford had already done one. The visuals, editing, acting, lighting, art direction--these literally don't matter. It's why they don't have an Oscar. I'm glad you clarified this for me.
>>
>>85329757
Who wrote that? It's wrong.
>>
>>85327480
Did you like the love story in Pearl Harbor or something? You wanted more of that?
>>
>>85329898
No the pilots ending was critical. If the old man stands in for the older generation, Hardy stands in for all those who are about to die.
>>
>>85329992
The man who has only national pride is a weak and worthless man. The man who has not national pride is not a man at all.

If you don't take pride in your nation, you will lose faith in your neighbor, your family and yourself. It may be the nation you take pride in is not the nation you were born into, but national identity is one of the primary and fundamental elements of the persona. It's critical.
>>
>>85329403
As a screen writer who is always writing treatments, yes the whole thing could be written out on a piece of paper but I do find a satisfying experience seeing it created visually. But the story is what I'm invested in, not the visuals
>>
>>85329920
I'll clarify further for ya, I enjoyed it too and it does have nice visuals and what not. Just to achieve it being a great and long lasting movie that stays in the mind there has to be more. You mention those elements, but how in depth was any of them actually explored? Was there really any great insight to these things? It's much more of a loose personal visual story giving the viewer the power to make up their mind.
>>
>>85329920
Are you fucking stupid or just being ironically dense?? What that poster was saying is not that films shouldnt have the same themes. Of course theyre gonna have the same themes. Human beings have been writing about love and death for a thousand fucking years.

Its about what can you say about these things thats DIFFERENT from what every other 2 cent wannabe has said. Its about what can you ADD to the conversation of human experience. He's just saying nolan hasnt added anything worth while. Which i tend to agree with.

I mean it was a really nice looking movie and all but did I really give a fuck about every character? I cared about the civillians, i cared about the kid who wanted to be in the newspaper because that was a human story it was kind of developed. And the old man driving the boat who lost his son, also development. But tom hardy? Why the fuck should i care about that? The french soldier? Who gaf?

Look i get it, the movie's supposed to be about the english mentality solidarity etc. Which of course is very relevent in contemporary society but without real human stories the message just gets reduced to a weak jab when it should be a strong uppercut. The movie wasnt awful but it wasnt great either it was meh. I guess i liked it more than inception though.
>>
>>85330224
Wow...are you a professional quote maker...?
>>
>>85329992
Off course it was Schopenhauer. Yeah, definitely a good idea to reference a modernist German philosopher as an example of the detrimants of national pride in a thread about a movie about WWII. Without the men like Shopenhauer and Marx, WW2 would have never happened. They destroyed the national pride so much they made it possible for a mad man like Hitler to twist it however he wanted. All he had to do was say he was bringing pride back. Without a nation, without a tribe, a man is lost in the wilderness.
>>
>>85330280
I really don't want to be that guy and go full tin foil, but this movie is being heavily shilled. Which would explain why they blatantly ignore points and go back to talking points.
>>
>>85329508
Fair point desu. I was tired after work and I felt like a dick bringing my girl to a boring movie. I didn't have enough patience for to appreciate it at the time
>>
>>85330259
omfg how stupid do you think I am? How stupid are you? If you really are a screenwriter, you've certainly never done anything good. You realize the treatment isn't a fucking movie, right? It's literally just a sell sheet. It only exists so people can have an easier sense of what they're getting into, before they sign away months if their life, or thousands of their dollars. If it was about the fucking treatment, why wouldn't we all just fucking read those you fucking twat? You're supposed to be writing for a visual medium, and you don't care about the visuals? What the fuck does that even mean?
>>
>>85330261
You sound like the kind of high school English teacher who grades the AP tests. It's like you've read all these books on how to critique and analyze, but you don't actually understand what any of it means or looks like. You probably hate modern and post-modern art "because it doesn't mean anything" and "my kid could do that." You probably think the thin red line is a deep and philosophical movie that says original things about war. It's like you're trans-intelligent: you identify as really smart even though you're really very dumb. I'm sorry, but you don't pass.
>>
>>85330467
A part of me thinks its because the movie serves, for so many people, as some kind of symbol of the "dying white masculinity". And how this idea can maintain relevence in a society where diversity is pushed harder than legitimate storytelling in movies. I suppose people are more willing to defend its faults because of some irrational psychological dependancy on what it means to them subjectively.

Which is fine sure, but personally I dont think Dunkirk is the movie they should be championing, because frankly its not a great movie. If you liked it because it reinforced your sense of identity just say that but dont go around parading dunkirk as some tour de force kubrikian masterpeice because its not.
>>
>>85330280
>goes to movie
>thinks the visuals don't say anything
How was Rogue One you utter piece of trash?
>>
If you are a british man you should go see this movie as it will make you appreciate the despiration of the situation. It is an experience, with little dialouge, but easily the best theater experience I have had in years. So IMAX spitfire scenes are amazing.
>>
Quick question before I book my tickets, lads.

IMAX

Y/N?

and why
>>
>>85330329
Yes. I am an advertising copywriter. So unlike almost everyone here, I actually get paid for my words. What I write here is like donating to charity.
>>
>>85330467
Yeah, It's probably Russian propaganda astroturfing the shit out of this movie. They're really trying to push nationalism around the world. It's almost like a domino effect.
>>
>>85327943

me too. I think everything hes done besides Prestige was garbage but Dunkirk was unmemetically a masterpiece.
>>
>>85330581
I was simply agreeing that the story of a film could be simply typed out on a piece of paper, similar to a treatment. But there is a greater and more satisfying experience seeing it play out visually. Still, the story is the core of what I'm interested in. All films start with a story. They are nothing without the plot and story
>>
>>85330725
Hardly, the quality of thin red line isn't my point and the fact you can't discern that leads me to believe you miss my point entirely. If you want to put so much stock into intelligence and have Dunkirk make you believe so, go for it. Thanks for the laugh.
>>
>>85330731
I bet you don't even understand the last scene of 2001.
>>
>>85328343

i would take this format all day over having the first hour of cringe in Hacksaw Ridge
>>
File: 1483914025380.jpg (20KB, 552x479px) Image search: [Google]
1483914025380.jpg
20KB, 552x479px
>>85327480
Nolan cockblocked Hans Zimmer in this movie. The track for the trailer was amazing, and the movie's OST was unacceptable.
>>
I honestly wish we would've learned more about the soldier's backstories/why they joined the war/their past, etc.

It's a good movie, don't get me wrong. I just felt like I was watching more of a documentary of Dunkirk then a movie, but whatever, solid 7/10 for me.
>>
>>85330731
Of course visuals say things, but do the visuals in dunkirk say anything? Do they tell a story? Is there a story? Theres a premise: 300 000 people must be moved from one beach to another but is there a strong enough story? I dont think so to be honest.
>>
>>85330731
Nail on the head, I hadn't considered that side to it so much. I wanted to draw a comparison to kubrik or something akin, but that would most likely just trigger someone again.
>>
>>85330883
And you're an idiot if you think Dunkirk was lacking in "story". Sorry it was too poetic for you to understand.
>>
>>85330785
I saw it at a regular theater and it was fucking intense. (There's no IMAX near me.) I can't even imagine what seeing it in IMAX would be like
>>
>>85330966 was meant for >>85330766
>>
>>85330885
I like how you ignored everything but that line. Just demonstrates my point that you lack any understanding and can only receive things directly and tritely. You probably think this song is about you, don't you?
>>
>>85330959
>why they joined the war
You don't need to be told that.
>>
>>85330959
>I honestly wish we would've learned more about the soldier's backstories/why they joined the war/their past, etc.

Why is that necessary? Can you not empathize with people unless you know their life stories?
>>
>>85330959
Fag
>>
I may be wrong, but can anyone else confirm that all the songs have the undertone of a clock until the moment the soldier falls asleep?
>>
>>85330966
>of course visuals say things
>the visuals don't say anything!
You have to go back.
>>
>>85330974
>something akin
>writing this bad
>"intelligent"
>>
It's Nolans best film but that's not saying much. It seems he took his head out of his own ass and tried to make a good film instead of jizzing all other the audience with how "deep" his films are and the audience believing him.
>>
>>85329600
have you?
>>
>>85331089
I mean, 99% of music has got a time signature, so sure you can masturbate to that if you want.
>>
>>85331036
Frankly yes, there are 7 billion people alive on earth right now of which you and i are only two. There have been something like 100 billion alive ever of which dunkirks subject pertains to 300 000 of which 13 are actually on screen. Yes a movie should have characters with stories to help us empathise because why should we care? Thats why commercials with african kids have their names and stories included in them. Because frankly you cant be expected to care for them otherwise.

And dont go around acting like you empathise with everyone youve ever met without knowing who they are because in that case you wouldnt even be on fourchan youd be donating all your money to one of those sponsor a child foundations.
>>
>>85331033
>>85331036
I mean I did empathize with them, I get what Nolan was trying to do making the English seem desperate, etc.

I get that Nolan was trying to make a purely suspenseful movie, and it worked.

I think it's because I'm "war-movie spoiled," but I just wanted to learn more about the soldier's lives themselves, then seeing them suffering like for whole movie.
>>
>>85331158
Every year I interview about a dozen WWII vets about their experience to try and get it recorded before they pass on.
>>
I really enjoyed the film. It probably helped that it was the first time I saw a movie in IMAX, but I was hooked throughout. The scenery was fantastic, a beach felt like a desolate landscape from where all hope had vanished and the soldiers were protrayed really well, the Germans as a faceless threat encroaching the brits and french leaving them ever nearer to death. Some scenes were a bit on the nose, like the scene where the camera goes back and you see the british army between bars, like if they were in a prison, but it conveyed well just how trapped they were.

>>85331178
No, I meant that you can always hear a clock running on the background. Maybe it was my imagination.
>>
>>85331029
I could go on an explain how i'm hugely empathetic and do enjoy a lot of modernist art but why even bother over /tv/ with someone who seems quite confident they have me all figured out already.
>>
>>85331214
I think you have autism
>>
>>85331230
wow i have never seen someone waste their life away like that in my life

you sir have won the faggot award
>>
>>85331089
>until the moment the soldier falls asleep?
In each timeline there's a point where the ticking stops
in his, it was when he fell asleep
>>
>>85331282
Ah, ok. Thanks, I thought I was going mad. Really liked that detail.
>>
>>85331230
that's really cool. I wish I had done that for my grandfathers
>>
File: tip.png (186KB, 278x495px) Image search: [Google]
tip.png
186KB, 278x495px
>wow i have never seen someone waste their life away like that in my life

>you sir have won the faggot award
>>
>>85331214
No. You're are alone in this need. You are a psychopath if you need to know someone's name and entire life story to be able to relate to them. The universal in man is the bedrock of society, and it is the central point against which everyone reacts. It is precisely what we hold in common that allows us to be different.
>>
>michael bay doing stupid explosion fest is bad
>nolan doing stupid explosion fest is kino

really make you think.
>>
>>85328343
>pleb filter.
speaking like a true hipster.

you probably don't even like it. you just act like you like it to feels superior.
>>
I don't get the emotionless complaint. There were multiple times throughout the film where moments got to me, more so than Interstellar, which I didn't feel anything during.
>The PTSD soldier saving people
>The civilian ships appearing when all hope was lost
>Tom Hardy saving everyone at the end
>Kenneth Branagh staying to evacuate the French
It managed to elicit emotions without resorting to cheap tricks for the most part.
>>
>>85331337
It wasn't a stupid explosion fest. The explosions felt real and there weren't a ton of them, every explosion felt like was a really dangerous thingto avoid.
>>
>>85331328
>you are a psychopath
Only on 4chin will you get a professional psychological evaluation based on one post Lmao. Everyone on here is so overly dramatic.
>>
>>85331221
That's retarded. You're retarded. How, after watching that movie can you not have a sense of who those characters we're? There are a good dozen easily recognizable and memorable characters, whose personalities and actions are real, compelling, and unique. They all make interesting and defining choices which tell us who they are and who they will be. That this was accomplished implicitly versus explicitly is a demonstration of quality. It's more impressive not less. Instead of being marionettes, they come across as real people who were actually there.
>>
>>85330581
No it had a story of course. The story was just boring in how it was portrayed. The story wasn't the focus of the film. The focus was the experience, and feeling what the soldiers felt. And I did and it was fantastic. But it got old. I didn't need the whole movie to experience that. A good exciting story keeps the viewer engaged. This didn't.
>>
>>85331249
>still missing the point this badlyHow can you like modern art? It has no clear composition, no character's, no story. Half the time It's not even pretty. It doesn't mean anything. I prefer it when my art actually means something.
>>
>>85331441
But there are foure stories happening at the same time and they are exciting. Will the old man reach the beach? Will Fortis 1 reach Dunkirk and help? Will Fortis 2 escape from the Spitfire? Will the lads get to safety?
>>
I really don't understand how people are complaining that this film is boring because there isn't expositional dialogue. Really? A film lacking the most boring part of a script is somehow more boring for lacking that part? The movie is all tension all the way through.
>>
>>85331264
Thanks for letting me know you're a complete piece of shit.
>>
>>85331417
Don't forget George getting his picture in the paper. That was rough.
>>
They should make an American version of Dunkirk with starwipes and cuts to Hitler shouting
>>
This movie was a great pleb filter. Anyone who says they watch movies for the story is immediately outing themselves as a pleb.
>>
>>85328589
>>85328269

>WHO NEED A COLORS
>WHO NEED A DRAWING
>'MUHH ART STYLE'
>IT'S ALL ABOUT QUALITY OF THE PAPER
>>
>>85331497
It still follows my point that we as humans naturally look for a greater connection and these works are hindered by that. Are you copying and pasting this?
>>
File: 1488.png (704KB, 753x810px) Image search: [Google]
1488.png
704KB, 753x810px
>>85331593
this
>>
>>85331498
No, they were boring. I had no reason to care for any of them. I was trying my best to be interested and I was at first until I realized I was never actually going to be introduced to these characters. The movie just dragged on. I was literally just waiting to see how everyone dies. And then they didn't. Well some of them.
>>
>>85331321
You can for other people's grandfather's. There are a few groups out there who do this. It's really fascinating. None of them handle it the same way. It's also amazing how much they resist visiting the memorials, but as soon as they do, They're completely changed. I've talked to a few guys who never talked about the war their whole lives, but after visiting the memorials with some fellow vets, they can talk about the whole thing. Because did the V-day pictures, we think everyone was really congratulatory when they got home, but the whole process of winding down the military took months. Most we'rent disrespexted for it, but they didnt actually recieve a lot of thanks. It's easy to forget that the home front was no picnic either. Almost everyone just buried the whole experience. It's no wonder they lavished so much on the Boomers. To live through hell and then have so much prosperity? That would put a lot of pressure on you. Talking to these guys is one of the highlights of my year.
>>
>>85331417
Old Rylance yelling at his son that he has to atleast try to save that second spitfire pilot on the verge of tears was pretty heavy also
>>
>>85331500
All tension all the way through becomes numb and boring. Tension must be used sparingly
>>
>>85331426
>on 4chan
>taking anything seriously
I guess I was right.
>>
>>85331703
A man attemting to land a Spitfire without fuel is boring? The highlanders trying to escape drowning is boring? Aerial battles are boring? The tension in escaping via boat with wounded is boring? Trying to save the fellow that saved you is boring?

Come on man. I think the problem is that you were expecting Saving Private Ryan and the movie wasn't anything like that. No big battles, no huge explosions. Just tension and then relief.
>>
>>85331441
>didn't like the story
>like the story
The experience is the story. You're a fucking child. Are you just quoting a screenwriting self-help book right now?
>>
>>85327480
More boring than War for the Planet of the Apes?
>>
>>85331650
see >>85331600
>>
>>85331749
Lmao says the guy who says shit like "The universal bedrock of human experience" like lmao give it a rest there Rowan Williams.
>>
>>85331822
Are you quoting your shill guide to 0.2 per post fucking poo in loo
>>
>>85331922
What's your point? He's making the same point as me, no?
>>
>>85331703
Why would you ruin a movie like this for yourself? Do you bring a checklist into the theater? What more introduction do you need than having a man barely escape the Germans after watching all his friends die, then meeting a guy who stole the clothes off a dead soldier he's now burying, and no the of them working together to survive against impossible odds? The way in which people relate to each other is a revelation in character. Character is action not dialogue.
>>
>>85331720
God, that scene was potent. And then to learn later he lost his oldest son before? This movie feels like a Turner painting brought to life.
>>
>>85332039
I don't think it even matters if the characters were characerized before. I think the point is to show just how Dunkirk changed the soldiers, it didn't matter if they thought they were brave or anything like that, they were doing what they could to survive and that was it. Who they were before had no bearing in what they did to survive.
>>
>>85331746
>the movie was boring because it was too tense.
kekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekeke.
>>
>>85331923
It's Jung actually.
>>
hans zimmer ruined the whole film with his crappy soundtrack

this would have fit better for the aerial battles
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmYKfdRWUEo
>>
>>85331931
What would be the purpose of shilling this movie? It's opening gross was something like 6-10 million more than their highest projections. It's already an unqualified success financially. Why would you spend money on shit advertising when you already have box-office busting sales?
>>
>>85332217
Honestly I would prefer a lot of scenes to be without the soundtrack, the sound design alone delivered enough impact.
Also shoo shoo /v/ crossposter
>>
>>85332217
>dude use my videogame track
>>
>>85332026
He's trying to make the same point, and is using opposite arguments. Just shows how stupid you both are.
>>
>>85331818
Yes, the way it was portrayed, those moments were boring. I didn't know these characters. I didn't care. It's exciting the first time something intense happens but after a whole movie of tension, it's not really tense anymore.

And while I wasn't looking for a saving private Ryan war flick, I was hoping for a great life changing moral lesson or some mind blowing resolution like other Nolan films. Like I said in the OP, I'm a Nolan fag, I was hoping for Nolan elements, but he went for something different this time and that's fine. But it's not for me
>>
>>85332287
that would be better too
loved the spitfire sounds
>>
>>85332282
>Why not operate as efficiently as possible with a very bankable product

Do you believe advertising and other forms of subversion aren't actually practiced here and on the internet in general?
>>
>>85332294
videogames have better soundtracks than film now, accept it
>>
I just saw it as well. It was really fucking great.

How could it be anything other than a non linear time approach? Why would the plane be in the air for a week? Do you want to see tom hardy on his base, writing letters to his pregnant wife in Kansas?

But the trailers beforehand for atomic blonde, justice league, a tom cruise movie I couldn't figure out the name of etc made me realise how our of ideas Hollywood is.
>>
>>85332323
He's using satire meme text and making the same argument you dense fuck
>>
>>85332408
Hello shill, get some new talking points
>>
>>85332120
That's what I'm saying--life and death situations strip any meaning and purpose from the persona. True personality is revealed by what one is and isn't willing to do to survive, and how one goes about doing that. The moment Tom Harry's character flips on the reserve tank to keep fighting and save the ship is a defining moment that supersedes just about anything else that could have happened in his life. He knew by doing that he was committing himself to death. At that moment, why do I care that he had a dog at home that was waiting for him? This is the difference between Dunkirk and Rogue One. The characters in Rogue One had few defining actions, and almost all characterization was negated by contradictory actions. But "oooh, tragic backstory".
>>
>>85332039
I didn't even know that that the soldier who stole the boots from the soldier he was burying was even a character in the rest of the movie. That's how unclear it was. Without any character introduction I forgot who was who and really lost interest. I just wished the film spent a little more time introducing characters as in just simply giving names to faces and spent a little less time on static space used to build tension when it was already tense.
>>
>>85332434
Trust a poo to miss social cues
>>
>>85332331
>I was hoping for a great life changing moral lesson
It's kind of stupid to expect a grand lifechanging message from every movie, but there are quite a lot of small "moral lesson" scenes in Dunkirk
>the moral lesson of stoicism when Rylance's son says to the shellshocked soldier that George is alright
>Styles coming to understand that there is something to praise in a successful retreat
>moral lesson of the personal sacrifice for the greater good by Hardy at the end
>>
>>85332524
Dude, come on. You weren't paying any attention, because he was the only fucking guy with curly hair and he also was, you know, a fucking mute because he was french.
>>
>>85332184
Fair enough. I thought you were going for the whole philosophical hermeneutics route in the "our similarities are what allow us to be different" thing . Its also a very british ideology.
>>
>>85328585

Europeans believe WW2 ended May 8th
>>
File: 1498752305362.jpg (14KB, 300x249px) Image search: [Google]
1498752305362.jpg
14KB, 300x249px
>>85327480
jesus christ the amount of bait threads that are gonna be up in the coming weeks...
fuck off and fuck all of you (including myself) for replying to this desperate faggot.

the movie is good, it also happens to be critically acclaimed, if that even fucking means anything nowadays.
but from a filmmaking standpoint it's a solid movie, excellent use of the score to work WITH the film instead of just being some nice music in the background.
excellent cinematography, excellent editing (you would know this if you ever fucking edited anything in your life or even took a rudimentary course in film editing), excellent sound design and soundtrack, excellent directing in all respects: acting, blocking, mis-en-scene, flow/pacing, structure.

>tl;dr it's a solid movie, you can dislike parts of it but saying it's bad or giving it 2 out of 10 like some jackoffs do means you are either borderline retarded or a desperate loser trying to get attention.

my advice? kill yourself or seek help.
>>
>>85327480
>Do you want to see tom hardy on his base, writing letters to his pregnant wife in Kansas?

Yes actually. That way it could introduce the character and I'd be connected and emotionally invested in his character as he risks his life in the air trying to save the soldiers below.
>>
>>85328453
>>85328727
but i thought he said whore
>>
Is it true that One Direction fuccboi actually gave a decent performance?
>>
>>85332524
>I didn't even know that that the soldier who stole the boots from the soldier he was burying was even a character in the rest of the movie.
Are you mentally disabled? Nolan almost doesn't eveb cut from him once he's on screen, he buries that guy, the main britboi comes to shit there and after the bombing they carry that wounded soldier to skip the mole queue. There's almist no one but those two characters for the first half hour or so.
>>
>>85332398
How is paying people to say what is already the general consensus efficient marketing. I work in advertising. I know how it works. You don't have to sell the product after people have already bought it. But you shouldn't have to know anything about advertising to know that. The internet is upstream from popular culture. It would take a long time for the consensus on /tv/ to not only reach but convince late adopters. Given the initial success and reviews, Dunkirk is guaranteed to be a smashing success. It would take conscious effort to deviate from this projection. Which means if there any shills in regards to this movie, they are shilling against it for political purposes. Which honestly is what a lot of the posts on this board sound like. Very samey, very trite. Appealing to what people on this board are supposed to like, but without any actual understanding of what it means. Very limited engagement beyond the main scope, and intensely repetitive responses. So, think I copied this from a shill pamphlet?
>>
>>85332551
Yeah they were there. Just not as mind blowing as Nolan films usually are
>>
>>85327480
>Nolan fag here
>Amazing filmmaking, boring
So middling direction as always but it's actually interesting for a change. Thanks for the tip.
>>
>>85332434
One of you likes modern art and thinks It's valuable, but can't see how it impacts an understanding of this film. The other is using conversations praising modern art as satire against the people who like this movie as being pretentious and without merit. Those are contradicting arguments.
>>
>>85332705
I think they all gave a good performance. And yes, he did.
>>
>>85332705
He did. He blended in well with the other cast, and I wouldn't have known he was a pop star or first-time actor without later learning about it
>>
>>85332705
Yeah actually for all the faults in the film he actually gave a not bad performance.
>>
>>85332705
He was solid, nothing special

Old man was the best
>>
>>85332636
>plot driven casual needs shoved fake empathy/sentimentality so he can "connect" to a human being

Also connecting or "relating" is such a stupid surface-level argument that doesn't indicate the quality of a film at all.
>>
>>85332568
Yeah shit I literally didn't remember that was the same guy until now. I literally forgot who was who without because the film never told me who the hell they were. It all looked like random British dudes to me.
>>
>>85332705
He portrayed a true brit cunt. Harry Cunt. Decent performance, didn't stick out at all.
Nothing to praise though.
>>
>>85332636
We're not meant to focus on Tom Hardy as 'Tom with his wife at home and a dog etc.', but rather the people he represents. He had a very symbolic role and focusing on the individual would detract from that.
>>
>>85332524
Right. Because you're an idiot. It was one of the most critical sense of the movie. It was even explicitly stated! They want to shoot the French guy because he's not talking because he doesnt want to reveal that he is a French coward. Then they want to kill him, because how did he get the British uniform? But his friend wants to protect him at least in part because the French guys save all their lives by opening the hatch to the battle ship. letting them escape the sinking wreck. But because he speaks French, he doesn't know everyone else is abandoning ship. When that same friend gets his attention It's too late. The downward current keeps him from grabbing the ladder and his hand disappears into the darkness. All things that could have been very trite but we're handled so deftly it is almost traumatic. If you didn't see this, you weren't watching the movie and have no place to criticize it.
>>
>>85332721
Being entirely honest, once it cut away from them I didn't recognize them the next scene.
>>
File: outrageous.jpg (104KB, 1022x1024px) Image search: [Google]
outrageous.jpg
104KB, 1022x1024px
>>85332404
>>
>>85332921
I really don't understand, it was pretty clear to the viewer who was who, the film starts with one character and gradually adds in every other character through the three narratives, Lee Smith did a good job on the editing.
Also do you think soldiers ask each other names and backstories in the middle of being bombed? You get torpedoed, half of your group drowns and you float in the oil in the sea and what, oh hey man that was crazy haha what's your name?
>>
>>85332572
Our similarities are what allow us to be different. But It's Jungian. The persona is often what makes us distinct in the social world, but the persona is a mask that makes our personal idiosyncrasies fit within a unified culture. When you sublimate the persona, your personality is almost entirely reduced to basic survival functions within the social system. Not only do your actions become less individuals, you are less recognizable socially. Likewise, total identification of the persona renders you a social husk. If we didn't have the common elements, the collective unconscious, there would be no individuals.
>>
>>85332605

Because for them, it did. British involvement in the Pacific post-44 was basically non-existent, and Churchill's commitment to assisting the Americans proper in that theater lost him his re-election.

You really think Europe gives two shits about what Japan's doing when their continent has been razed to the ground by some Austrian retard's boner for war?
>>
>>85333126
I think many people got confused by the movie because, let's be honest, recent war movies haven't exactly been hard to follow or even been that good and people expect to have characters explain every single thing they are doing. In a sense it's like video games, where most people now need markers because all games have them and when they are not present, you get bored and frustrated.
>>
Wait, was Harry Styles the blonde kid on the boat?

Also, what happened to the third guy that was with the main guy and the Frenchie? The guy they helped from the ship at the begining. The guy that asked about the french guy when they were eating bread. Was he the same guy accusing French of being a German spy? The guy that's with the main guy in the train? I completely forgot what he looked like like.
>>
>>85333278
No, he was from the scene on the destroyer--the one who asked where the French guy was going, setting up the torpedo attack and giving the French character a character defini g moment if whether to open the door and possibly get sucked under or save himself as he'd already done.
>>
>>85333278
To be fair, I have no idea who he was supposed to be because he didn't stand out. Which means he probably did a good job. It wasn't like the redhead dude in GoT.
>>
>>85333278
>>85333356
He was in the train car at the end.
>>
>>85333390
Sorry I don't know which one Harry styles was. I was talking about that third guy. The fact that I didn't recognize styles at all means he was at least passable.
>>
>>85333009
I just lost track of who was who

And after answering that for the third time let me give an example of how it could have been done better. Anyone ever watch Master and Commander? Another slow paced and intense movie in a war. Had tons a random British dudes running around. But with a little extra dialogue and some distinct character features I could tell them all apart and follow their stories
>>
File: 1477707929469.jpg (64KB, 600x593px) Image search: [Google]
1477707929469.jpg
64KB, 600x593px
Anyone else liked it except the ending with the plane approaching and tom hardy's character saving the day?

I suppose I just expected something more dreadful compared to the first half of the film and the typical hollywood happy ending seemed unnecessary
>>
>>85333390
>>85333356
Ah, right. Didn't think he'd end up being against the main guys so I was confused.

But Styles was the kid, right? I'm not just completely retarded with faces?
>>
>>85333126

See
>>85333484
>>
>>85333497
I'm a sucker for happy endings so I was all for Tom Hardy saving the day. The sad thing was that he got captured in the end so I guess it wasn't all that happy.
>>
/tv/ will want to hate this because it's popular, blockbuster and simpletons will enjoy it.

it's a fucking masterpiece. /tv/ trying to be too edgy and hating on something again due to the level acclaim it receives in mainstream media. this is why people go to reddit, because you guys have your thumbs to high up your own fucking asses.
>>
>>85333603
fair enough.

I was more reffering to the uplifting music and kenneth branagh's character closing eyes as his "last stand" and being saved in the last moment

I dunno I supposed I was just expecting something different from Nolan since his "most experimental film" quote but in the end he coped out to the typical ending.
>>
>>85333525
i think it was pretty delibrate by nolan to make a lot of the soldiers indistinguishable. you get can't get attached to an individuals arch until they've survived, you don't recognise any of the pilots until the end etc
>>
>>85333682
are you even reading the threads? many of the people here love it although not without any complaints obviously
>>
>>85333693
Oh yeah, no, it was completely cheesy and stuff. I agree with that.
I guess the experimentation came from the entire movie.
>>
>>85333745
i scrolled too far and regretting my comment now. i read the start and clicked reply. fuck i was dropped when i was a baby.
>>
>>85333682
ironic, because reddit nolan fanboys seem to either only like it mildy or hate it
>>
>>85333733
Yeah, I actually thought it was cutting between Tom Hardy shots to other Tom Hardy shots for about a minute when the planes first showed up. Then I realised I'm fucking stupid and that they sound different and Hardy looks different.
Also just looked up who Styles was, confirming my retard position.

Autisim is in the horizon for me, friends.
>>
>>85333484
Yes, YOU lost track. Because you weren't paying attention. How many times do we have to say this: the film was clear. Objectively, the film took many actions to uncomplicate what is very complicated. Several things you say you are confused by were explicitly stated on multiple occasions. There were many distinct features of characters. You are now in the realm of asking this movie to be a completely different movie because it does not behave like you think all movies should behave. That means you are not judging the film on It's merits, but on your tastes. It's like you've gone to a fancy restaurant and ordered a delicious steak, but are dissapointed because it doesn't have that beef flavor you've come to expect from your favorite fast food burger. And yes, Dunkirk is not Kubrik, but that's because Kubrik was pretentious and liked to make inaccessible movies.
>>
>>85333497
Your realize this was a true event right? Were you surprised when the Titanic sank?
>>
>>85333693
What you're doing right now is the equivalent to walking up to a painting and not liking it because they used green paint and you're tired of green paintings.
>>
>>85333497

>hurr if its a happy ending its bad!
>nevermind that the actual historical event ended that way and the entire point of the film was keeping hope in hopeless times!

pleb detected.
>>
>>85333753
There was literally nothing about the movie that was experimental. The word experimental should be expunged from all conversations about art. It's vapid and degenerate.
>>
before noon, want to see dunkirk, no bros to go with. Cinema alone? :(
>>
>>85334543
Obviously you retard. Why do you need to see a movie with friends. Obviously It's a plus, but if you love films, you can't let your cinema life be ruled by people who care less about it. Plus, if you're lacking friends, you're not going to make more by staying inside. Your life carries on regardless of what you do. Stop letting other people be an excuse for your lack of action.
>>
File: 1497327999522.jpg (47KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1497327999522.jpg
47KB, 500x500px
>>85334368
>>85334454
>>85334463
nolanfans.com in full force I see

I didn't said I don't like the point, I just pointed out something I disliked and voila

also I'm pressuming other people noticed the modern city in the background when hardy's plane was landing?
>>
My take away from this is that dive bombers are fucking terrifying.
Great sound design, saw it in a Dolby Atmos theater which was based.
>>
>>85334658

Truth, thanks bro. Gonna get high af and go enjoy a good movie.
>>
>>85334791
DUDE
>>
>>85334677
>I didn't said I don't like the point, I just pointed out something I disliked

so youre not saying you dont like it, youre just saying you didnt like it? Kill yourself you tryhard pleb. The idea that a movie has to be edgy grimdark is the most childish shit ever.
>>
>>85334543
you're just going to look at the screen for 2 hours anon... you don't need friends to do that
>>
I thought it was pure kino. Even Harry Styles was good.
>>
>>85334851
>liking Nolan
>calling other pleb
oh the ironing

also you obviously don't see the irony of mentioning of edgy grimdark since Nolan gave birth the dark brooding hero reboots we've seen in the recent years
>>
>>85334338
With that said, my taste is for Nolan films and this was drastically different than his other films which are typically coated in exposition. I'm not saying the film sucks. It doesn't. I just found it boring and lacking in elements that I look for in movies.
>>
File: enough_by_simonetry-dakml2h.jpg (71KB, 707x500px) Image search: [Google]
enough_by_simonetry-dakml2h.jpg
71KB, 707x500px
Some neckbeard 40yr old dude burst out laughing at the final stuka scene where hardy dives on the kraut with a dead engine in his spit

>"pfHAHAHAHA impossible!"

pretty sure everyone around me was as annoyed as I was, why pretend to be an expert on aerial combat and feel the need to vocalise this for the entire cinema?

fucking dumbfuck pseuds
>>
>>85327480

It was boring. As a WW2 fan I expected much more of it from a geopolitcal, historical perspective. I wanted to see scenes shot in both german and allies HQ with characters explaining what was at stake, providing numbers and background.
Instead we had scenes shot in a loop from different angles featuring undevelopped, unrelatable characters.

Also it's hard to forgive that awful historical lie from that officer's dialogue early in the movie : germans did not stop their push for military reasons.
As a matter of fact, Hitler ordered his divisions to stop because he wanted to make a gesture towards the Brits because he wanted them on his side to fight the soviets on the eastern side.
He believed an alliance was still possible.
He could have totally obliterated the british army but he was actually naive and deceived by Churchill.
That was one of his greatest mistakes in WW2.
>>
>paying to watch propaganda
i wish my reddit karma was high enough to think this is a good idea u___u
>>
>>85335083
>germans did not stop their push for military reasons

t.wehraboo

What are overstretched panzers without sufficient logistical or infantry support
>>
>>85335083
That kind of ruins the movie for me.

>they didn't survive through bravery and heroics
>they survived because the nazis let them
>>
Why did Hardy give himself up? Or was it because his landing gear fucked up and he landed too far to the east?
>>
I know I sound like a shill but the airplane scenes were really fucking great. I got goosebumps. It's the first time I've sat in an IMAX screen and thought the loud sound was worthwhile. Note this fact when the torrentfag Americans start talking about it.

Also my cynicism about life and society disappeared for about 15 minutes after I left the screen.
>>
>>85335083
I thought he stopped because his generals told him to stop because they thought they needed more infantry to back up their panzer because they thought the Allies had much more armor than they actually did.
>>
>>85335333
if you're at a low alt with no engine power turning the aircraft is the last thing you want to do

you could end up in a death spiral and you're fucked
>>
>>85335333
Surrounded by Germans
Landed too far from allied land
French line is just about to fall so no more allied land soon
Probably no more ships on their way so no chance of rescue anyway
If he runs he gets shot
>>
>>85334933

plebs missing the point of his batman movies is in no way a reflection on him, you also cant bitch about grimdark when you just bitched about this movie for not being that. Take this L pleb, you are factually wrong.
>>
Is it exciting and action packed? I'm looking for the WWII equivalent of fury road
>>
>>85335651
Honestly the tension is incredible
>>
>>85335651
Nearly all action.

Rest of it is tension.
>>
>>85335651
It builds up suspense and tension for most of the movie. The only pure action scenes are the dog fights, so about 10 minutes of the movie, and even then, they're pretty minimalistic. If you're looking for a traditional war film, this isn't it.
I loved it, though.
>>
>>85335629
whatever you say pleb remember to have a tap water after gargling on Nolan's nuts

who knows you might even acquire a taste one day
>>
If you're British and you didn't like this film get out desu

not surprise that it's probably Americans going HURR WHERE'S THE EXPLANATION WHERE'S THE TANKS WHY DON'T THEY SHOW THE EVIL GERMANS
>>
>>85335846
germans are shown in the final scene, even up close
>>
>>85335846
if you can't appreciate Elgar, a Spitfire, and /ourguys/ having a good old fashioned cheer in a shit situation as Mark Rylance and Kenneth Branagh give great performances then you've got a 120% chance of dumping tea in the Boston Harbour
>>
>>85329217
Good post uncle jerry but coal jobs still aren't coming back
>>
>>85335050
that was me!
>>
If I didn't see it in IMAX I don't know if I would've enjoyed it

Also I wish they had made Cillian Murphy's character secretly be a German, I feel like that could've been a really good tense situation on the boat
>>
>>85335898
Yeah, but they're not focussed (literally) upon - they remain as mysterious and irrelevant as individuals to the story as they had - there are no shots of, say, the German pilots, because there doesn't have to be.

The focus upon the main characters, e.g. 'Tommy', George, the captain, and the officers are deliberately vague and not fleshed out, because they are meant to stand as examples for the sort of actual figures, displaying how what the movie shows is just a small fragment of the whole, but is still representative -- there could be hundreds of variations on the characters, and having small fringe ones pop in such as the Grenadier in fact adds a tremendous amount of depth to the situation.
>>
+effects, sounds and action sequences are amazing
+visually probably nolans best
+tension right through the entire movie
+harry styles is surprisingly good
+ending is beautiful
+drowning scenes were kino

-barely any character backstories/information
-should have been 15 age rating and had more violence
-soundtrack was ok but it was really just 2 hours of slowly increasing suspense music
>>
>>85336052
>soundtrack was ok but it was really just 2 hours of slowly increasing suspense music

E L G A R
L
G
A
R

N I M R O D
I
M
R
O
D
>>
>>85335083
New documents have more than proved that Hitler actually wanted the destruction of the EEF.
>>
>>85336016
>mysterious and irrelevant
Yes, the people who were the sole reason for the evacuation itself are 'irrelevant'.

I get that this movie is about the suffering and struggle of the British kids at Dunkirk, and outside factors wouldn't have much place. But as it is it feels like the grander importance of Dunkirk in WW2 is lost. It feels like the people who died died for nothing, since there was no clear enemy. It's glossed over what their sacrifice meant.

>small fragments of the whole
The issue with this is that the movie barely makes mention of this. It's just sort of assumed. By focusing on such a small scale within what we obviously know is a much larger conflict makes the larger conflict feel relatively unimportant, since the focus is on the insignificant individuals. And that's what this boils down to. It's like Nolan didn't care about what he was directing and slapped unnecessary jarring perspective swaps all over to make it seem deep, but then used Harry Styles and explosions to appeal to the younger crowd (there were girls in my theater that screamed 'HARRY!' when the movie was done). Extremely disrespectful for the Brits that died.
>>
So do I see it in IMAX or 70mm?
>>
File: 1454650329815.jpg (137KB, 840x770px) Image search: [Google]
1454650329815.jpg
137KB, 840x770px
>that fucking tension
>>
>>85336453
As individuals, the Germans were irrelevant, didn't mean to imply the German forces were irrelevant, I think quite the opposite is made blatantly clear in the very first scene.

>(there were girls in my theater that screamed 'HARRY!' when the movie was done)
Well, shit all to be done about that. I heard Nolan cast Styles on account of him looking like some chap from an old photograph or something, and then expanded his role. To be honest I thought he was decent.

I didn't feel it was disrespectful, and I disagree that whilst the narratives focus on a small group of individuals they are made apparent within the wider image and the thousands of others upon the beaches and the seas - but I think it's an effective narrative strategy to focus a viewer's attention, e.g. with the Dutch sailor, the French soldier, and even little lines like 'bon voyage' at the beginning and the Navy lieutenant saying he's staying for the French.

I'm confident that Brits who have at least been half educated and know about Dunkirk will appreciate the small scale -- I did, for one.
>>
>>85336648
I think Styles face is far too distinctive and pretty for that kinda role although he was pretty damn good to be fair.
>>
Top lel at all the faggy americans complaining about there not being enough schmalzy spielbergesque """"emotion""""

Sorry it's not a fucking disney film lads
>>
>>85336636
my heart was pumping the first 5mins

fucking shat me up watching those poor bongs shot in the back running away
>>
>>85336790
>Reaching for greater depth and meaning is bad in a MOVIE
The only people mentioning spielberg is people on the defense
>>
How is it every criticism of this film on this ends up with (dumb American). Big Nolan fan and love WW2 films and give this film a 6out if 10.
>>
I really enjoyed it. I've always loved anything and everything WW2, and Dunkirk was a feast for the eyes.

Especially the aviation scenes, which were surprisingly accurate.
>>
>>85337002
'films americans will never understand'
>>
>>85337002
What country are you from?
>>
>>85327480
I really liked it, the theater had a great sound system and those Stuka sirens and engine sounds were fucking amazing. The gunshots also made me jump with how loud they were. There were some things wrong with it, mainly the split time perspectives, I felt it could have worked better if they had left it out. I understood what was going on after the first 15 minutes but the people I was with had trouble with it, and really although an interesting idea I didn't feel like it added anything. Why did I need to see the same ship sink 3 times from 3 different shots rather than just show all perspectives at the same moment, what was really gained? Although I guess it might of been done to keep the plane in the film the whole time as the rest of the perspectives were longer than it's flying time.

I also liked the dog fighting, as a ww2 flight sim enthusiast(not an expert) it seemed pretty accurate or at least authentic. The characters weren't great either, I didn't even know any of their names throughout the film because I must have missed them in the action, but I still remember their roles and thought the writing was serviceable, if a little shoddy. I would definitely recommend seeing it in theater, the sound really adds to the movie. I also had some problems telling the beach soldiers apart from each other because of their similar uniforms, and hair-styles, except one of the actors who I recognized from something else(not Harry who I don't know what he looks like).

Overall, I'd give it a solid 7/1 as a movie, as a movie-going experience I'd give it a 9/10 I can't recommend it enough.
>>
>>85336990
There is a lot of depth to be reached with minimal detail.

Adding a load of shit about a soldier that's just gotta get home to his sweetheart and some other sappy drivel back story is dull as fuck. But it's basically what half of the plebs on this website are demanding. Americans just want everything to be a soap opera
>>
>>85337147
But they aren't, again people only on the defense are mindlessly repeating this. That's so creatively narrow minded, give me some symbolism, a metaphor. something.
>>
>>85337125
>Why did I need to see the same ship sink 3 times from 3 different shots rather than just show all perspectives at the same moment, what was really gained

Because half the film would be tom hardey sitting on an airbase somewhere wanking off to pictures of dear old Marge otherwise

his storyline was a matter of 60minutes or so, the others days and a week
>>
>>85327480
these are all legitimate criticisms, i saw the movie last night and agree with what you are saying

it's still an incredible film, it delivers tons of emotion with little dialog, and you aren't manipulated into it through plot device or some John Williams-style soundtrack. It's not as character driven as say, Saving Private Ryan, it's just a different film. It's still a great movie, i feel bad for you if you need sugar on your steak to eat it.
>>
>>85335333
He didnt have enough fuel to make it back. The landing gear not going down really isnt that big of a deal. A lot of the planes had a hand crank that you could use to manually lower them.

The issue was simply being out of fuel, and a landing in the water is more dangerous. And as a pilot POW, you were generally treated a lot better than your random infantry POW.

>>85335568
Not really. Death Spiral/Graveyard spiral is almost always caused by IMC, not mechanical failures/loss of power.
>>
>>85328453
sounds like interstellar desu
>>
>>85337147
How distinguishing characters or some lines or background. Has that become too much to ask?
You can show distress and dread with these elements in mind. They have been done by (non-american) writers and directors too.
>>
>>85336636
seriously, one thing about this movie is that plotwise, very little is happening, but the tension builds every second of the movie. then when the boats come you almost break down at once and realize how subtly and skillfully nolan makes you invested in the soldier's plight.

i felt like i was going to have a heart attack by the time the movie was over and nothing even happened
>>
>>85337219
>>85337370
Sorry lads it's just not a character driven movie. If you think there's no big themes there it's just because you're too thick to appreciate them.

Just sit back and contemplate for a moment that maybe the problem is you're a fucking mongoloid that needs everything spelled out for you
>>
>>85336517
Serious question, I don't know shit about movie going and want me socks blown off, both options are available to me
>>
>>85336517
i saw it in 70mm, wish i had sprung for IMAX
>>
>>85337147
No one is demanding this. Stop strawmanning.

In a movie where characters are fairly hard to distinguish (outside of Mark Rylance's little crew) it would have been nice to have some real reasons to care about anybody who died. I eventually just stopped following who was who after a certain time because I realized that wasn't what the film wanted me to do and tried to get involved with the greater suffering these men were put through and I just couldn't. It's like reading a stat sheet of death count in a battle, it's hard to sympathize with what are essentially numbers and props for special effects.

It's a lot like Pearl Harbor, really, without the forced romance. Both movies do fuckall to make me (or anyone, really, the only peopleI see caring about the characters this deeply are aspies on /tv/) care about the battles they're about
>>
>>85337747
>No one is demanding this. Stop strawmanning.

>literally goes on to demand more "real reaons to care about anybody who died"
>>
>>85327986
>Gets hold of some neat idea, in this case a movie with no dialogue( a complete 360 of his previous style), then meme the shit out of it to cater to the reddit crowd.

Nope. Only the main character and one of his friends don't talk to each other. The main character talks to other people; that side character who he doesn't talk to doesn't really, but see the movie. Everyone else talks.

It's a beautiful period piece that tries to encompass the atmosphere of WW2 Britain
>>
>>85337884
Oh okay, sorry I have to specify what he referred to in his post, brainlet. I don't want soldiers monologuing about Margaret at home or giving me some shitty reason to care about them (a trap the film ironically enough falls into wity George and his faggoty 'I'm useless' self-pity party) but I also don't want a bunch of indistinguishable boy band members.
>>
Was the small boat's captain a video game protagonist? In the course of an afternoon:
-rescues a shell-shocked soldier from a sunken ship
-son gets killed by same soldier
-rescues pilot from plane that crashed near him
-rescues survivors of sinking minesweeper
-barely escapes oil slick fire
-close shave from strafing German fighter
>>
File: AngelThump.png (38KB, 334x112px) Image search: [Google]
AngelThump.png
38KB, 334x112px
>Is the boy okay?
>Yes
>>
>>85338066
>I don't want soldiers monologuing about margaret back home! Or giving me some shitty reason reason to care about them!
>I just want some shitty reason to care about them!

why don't you just provide a good example of a war movie with characterization that doesn't amount to the things you've already criticized
>>
>>85337370
the backgrounds should be fucking obvious upon casual observation

>Old boy at the wheel, probably served/lived through WW1 so knows shell shock when he sees it
>Working class tommies giving the finger to the air force (which was mostly the well educated classes)
>Young lad George desperate to get into the action, typical of the ignorant youth that signed up in droves during WW1/WW2
>Officers at the Mole, generic upper class naval background. Care about their men but realistic in making sacrifices

I mean what would be gained from Nolan slapping on 40minutes and spelling out every detail here? 10 mins of George in school, 10mins of harry styles working as labourer but suddenly generic love interest/army, 10mins of some officer training.

It would be pointless

Nolan instead focuses on the events of the day (Men being torpedoed and jumping into the sea three times, cowardice, choosing between your own easy survival and the possible survival of others).
>>
>>85338358
>He's on me
>I'm on him

the lines were bare bones, but still had me gripped due to the cinematography being 10/10
>>
>>85338358
I hated that little faggot so much.
>admitted he's done nothing in his life and just wanted to go to war so he could preen about
>doesn't know shit about anything and calls a poor guy with PTSD a coward
>looks really fucking gay, like holy shit
>trips down some stairs and dies before ever seeing real combat
>still begs to be recognised by others for doing jack shit with his dying breath
>likely got precedence in the paper over other men in actual combat who died and suffered and fought valiantly for their country
Made me so mad, was the only bad part of an otherwise excellent kinographie. I'm not surprised people on /tv/ can emphasize so much with a character who's done nothing in his life but still tries to get attention by doing dumb shit
>>
File: NECegsUsrmPpFL_2_b.jpg (37KB, 600x316px) Image search: [Google]
NECegsUsrmPpFL_2_b.jpg
37KB, 600x316px
Did TDKR give any impression that daddy bane was british?

this is why i love nolan, the subtle connections!
>>
>>85338717
What makes you think I cared about the boy you stupid retard. I cared about the way the son did not tell the truth and destroy the soul of the poor guy with PTSD. And then the fucking nod from the father. The feels
>>
>>85338717
tripping down the stairs and dying is more than you'll ever accomplish in your life, faggot
>>
>>85338717
as opposed to a /tv/ shitposter whose only contribution to civilization is repeating

>BANE xDDDD

fuck you

George was a hero
>>
>>85338821
I never said you did, just wanted to rant about the kid in general. I really liked the interactions between the PTSD soldier and Rylance and his son. It's just the kid was a massive faggot that brought it down

>>85338842
At least I can walk on stairs normally and don't need some sort of aid due to my own obesity like you, faggot
>>
>>85339029
>I never said you did
?
>I'm not surprised people on /tv/ can emphasize so much with a character who's done nothing in his life but still tries to get attention by doing dumb shit
>>
>>85338623
Every single defense throws this strawman out there, no one is demanding that. Some symbolism, a metaphor or some other creative device to tie things together and create a greater sense of depth, either interrelate with the characters or something a little more meta which nolan is fond of. Could have elevated the movie further.
>>
>>85339098
it's not my fault you can't recognize kino when it slaps you in the face
Thread posts: 337
Thread images: 19

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.