[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dunkirk *SPOILERS* thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 348
Thread images: 33

File: IMG_1084.jpg (294KB, 1125x1252px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1084.jpg
294KB, 1125x1252px
the whole ending scene for the air story, with the spitfire just gliding over the cheering beach, and then landing on the far off beach, followed by Farrier burning the plane and the German soldiers emerging and marching him off. God that was powerful
>>
>>85300591
>the spitfire rises
>>
Here's a spoiler: overrated.
>>
>>85300591
why didn't he just land closer to the british and french?
>>
only nolan can make a plane landing look like the most intense situation you have ever seen
>>
Why not ditch next to boats? You could argue he was trying to preserve the plane but he ended up burning it anyway. Made no sense but I still enjoyed the film.
>>
>>85300781
didn't have enough lift to turn around I guess
>>
>>85300920
he wants proper funeral for his plane
>>
>>85300781
>>85300920
The beaches were practically overrun by that point, and the British-held beach was full of troops and equipment.
>>
Perhaps he was wondering why someone would turn toward friendly waters before crashing their plane.
>>
>>85300795
That part where Jerusalem kicks in when the wheels touch the ground. Had me in tears.
>>
>>85300591
So, you got yourself caught. What's the next step of your master plan?
>>
>>85300795
Tell that to the Kanji club
>>
>>85301484
Build a cock.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colditz_Cock
>>
>>85301452
It's Nimrod that keeps coming in during the end. Powerful stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhnMd1Jl7SA
>>
>crashes other planes
>lands his own plane succesfully

it's like poetry
>>
Who was it waking up on the pier at the end who Kenneth Branargh and James D'Arcy tell to get on the last boat? I thought it was the French soldier but everyone said he was the one who drowned in the trawler.
>>
As a burger, this movie had me saying For King and Country by the end.

Gotta give it to Nolan, though. The film was basically a shit story that was turned into a work of art.
>>
so he did crash the plane, but with survivors?
>>
>>85300591
For you
>>
why did the germans even go for a burning plane?

did they except someone in the wreckage?
>>
For a movie about nationalism this was a good way to make you feel patriotic for your country without appealing to jingoism and hate
>>
>>85301829
They expected to be able to get a hothead out of there.
>>
That fucking opening scene was brilliant. Reminded me of Fury Road crossed with '71. We need more footchase kino.

Talking of '71, Jack Lowden was charismatic as fuck in this movie, at least as much so as Tom Hardy. Was rooting for them to survive more than anyone else.
>>
>>85301829

They most likely saw it land. Even if they didn't, they saw the smoke and came to investigate. To this day if a pilot crashes during a war situation, he will destroy the plane if he is able to. You don't give it to the enemy intact.
>>
>>85301829
they saw the flight plan included one person
>>
>>85301865
Did you watch the movie? It's patriotic toward the end but hardly "nationalist"
>>
>>85301829
RAF pilots are elite and valuable POWs
>>
>>85301629
I stand corrected. Thanks.

How Nolan had me in tears with a man trying to manually winch down his plane's gear I'll never know.

Fuck, I love being British.
>>
>>85300920

sea was choppy, turning would have cost too much height, he'd risk crashing into someone and to ditch in the water you have to be able to do a stalling manouver so you bellyflop like the other pilot and he may no longer have had the airspeed to do it.
>>
File: spedepasanen.jpg (6KB, 196x223px) Image search: [Google]
spedepasanen.jpg
6KB, 196x223px
>>85301932
>>
>>85301953
It's nationalistic, but in a good way. I like it.
>>
>>85300920
Ditching is pretty dangerous
>>
>>85301737
Definitely wasn't the French soldier. I'm sure he drowned on the trawler.
>>
Anyone else have their cinema almost empty in complete silence when this film ended? Never seen that happen before, good or bad people will always talk about the film but after this one people where just so overwhelmed they couldn't speak.

This has got to be a shoe in for best film.

Boat captain for best actor/supporting actor (fuck knows which)?
>>
>>85302127
Rylance was superb.

I also liked the Scottish RAF pilot, Jack Lowden.
>>
>>85302127
>Boat captain for best actor/supporting actor (fuck knows which)

Rylance got the best actor Oscar last year too.
>>
How the fuck did he shoot down a diving Stuka while he was gliding is the real mystery
>>
not sure if any of the actors will get oscars but the film should do pretty well on the whole
>>
File: Bomb it.jpg (47KB, 373x338px) Image search: [Google]
Bomb it.jpg
47KB, 373x338px
>>85302286
An RAF pilot will do anything for German blood.
>>
File: 1411871326731s.jpg (8KB, 250x236px) Image search: [Google]
1411871326731s.jpg
8KB, 250x236px
>that scene when the torpedo hits the ship, water storms in, and the lights go out
>>
>>85302286
It's Tom Hardy, dont question him
>>
>>85301737
just a rando
>>
>>85302286
By shooting and hitting it
>>
>>85302127
Yeah, every movie I have been in...except a few that got claps at the end. You guys make me laugh. No one fucking talks about any movie at the end unless it was FOTR or something.
>>
>>85302342
TORPEDO
>>
>yfw Harry Styles gets a meme golden globe
>>
>>85302286
> a lumbering mid-20s design with fuck-all manoeuvrability and armament

> a sleek-as-fuck armed-to-the-teeth Rolls Royce powered death machine

Really activated my almonds this one.
>>
>>85302127
Mark Rylance is pure class

He has like every major acting award already without whoring for attention like DDL
>>
File: 1331949502766.jpg (22KB, 240x312px) Image search: [Google]
1331949502766.jpg
22KB, 240x312px
>>85302200
>When during the "air" section you think you are seeing him wave Hardy on, showing he is alright
>The "sea" section shows that that was just him desperately trying to unjam his canopy
>>
>>85302451
Have you seen him in Wolf Hall?

Fucking brilliant. Really recommended it.
>>
Could this be a prequel to the plane scene?

>Masketta gets captured by soldiers
>on the way to the jail a time rift opens
>conciousness fills in blanks and switches out everyone involved with "Bane" (think dougie jones)
>TDKR starts

Nolan is a fucking genius
>>
>>85302451
>Rylance drove his character's boat every day for research.[13] He also listened to audio recordings at the Imperial War Museum.[21] Between takes, Rylance encouraged rehearsal through improvised scenes, which Nolan said "deepened the characterisations".[22]
>>
Did Nolan intentionally have Tom Hardy get caught after being in a plane the whole movie? It felt like he was talking to us, his boys.

I felt like he was having a bit of a cheeky laugh about baneposting. Maybe Aiden Gillan was one of the German soliders but got cut for time.
>>
>>85300591
>mfw
>>
>>85302540
He's setting up the sequel where he escapes from prison
>>
>>85302540
If you listen to Nolan's interview with Simon Mayo (BBC Radio 2), he mentions that he 'leaves some of the end of the film open' for 'new leads'.

Nolan reboot of Colditz? I'd be up for that.
>>
>>85302503

The jacket he wears also looks like Bane's jacket.
>>
>>85302540
>Tom Hardy in a mask
>In a plane

KID, he made this movie FOR US
He's surfing /tv/ right now hoping we enjoy it.
That's the only thing he cares about
>>
>>85302540
In the original script, when they come up to him on the beach, they say "so you got yourself caught" in German but they cut it because they didn't want to do subs and thought the foreign language would alienate audiences.
>>
>>85302451

Even in the BFG he was incredible and nailed the character perfectly
>>
anyone like these kind of movies where they dont talk much and there really isnt a storyline? what is the style called
>>
>>85302540

This shit can't be by accident. Surely Nolan has encountered baneposting on his own. Tom has when he tried to do that AMA. I would not be surprised if he and Tom had long talks about how to imply that Farrier was a big guy.
>>
I'm surprised less people are talking about the masterful Zimmer score. The strings manipulated to constantly sound like distorted sirens, and the stop watch were perfect.

In addition to many other things, I think it lent very heavily to the dread and tension levied throughout the entire film. Only the last two songs on the official soundtrack have "modest" positive motifs; everything else is pure melancholy, pain, and depression.
>>
>>85302723

Kino.
>>
>>85302723
Literally kino.
>>
this film wasn't even good, what the fuck /tv

I've only seen it because of you
>>
>>85302723
kino
>>
>>85302723
das kino
>>
>>85302745

The sound as a whole was incredible. Everything in the film came together perfectly.
>>
>>85302723
>This new experimental work by Kino-Eye is directed towards the creation of an authentically international absolute language of cinema – ABSOLUTE KINOGRAPHY – on the basis of its complete separation from the language of theatre and literature.
>>
>>85302723
La quino
>>
>>85302723
ҜЇИФ
>>
>>85301261
Unironically this. I did wonder why he didn't just land near his friends for a minute but he was already close to the ground and doing a 180° turn without an engine requires you to have some altitude if you don't wanna crash.
>>
>>85302856
The Stuka bombers were amazing, brutal.
>>
>>85301791
was getting caught part of his plan?
>>
>>85302856
Oh for sure. The sound design and score went hand in hand, and I know it's been mentioned ad nauseum, but the spitfire and stuka sounds were unreal.
>>
>>85302920
> kiif
What did you mean by this?
>>
>>85302723
Pure Kino
>>
File: 1362187037599.png (487KB, 922x796px) Image search: [Google]
1362187037599.png
487KB, 922x796px
AND DID THOSE FEET IN ANCIENT TIMES
>>
File: thinking retard.jpg (18KB, 396x303px) Image search: [Google]
thinking retard.jpg
18KB, 396x303px
Why didn't he parachute out of the plane? Was he too close to the ground?
>>
>>85301737
Just a random, don't be dense.
>>
>>85302930
We do train for landing in fields with a dead engine, but they had fairly limited emergency handling training. Also I've heard the spits glide performance is pretty poor.
>>
>>85303112
Yes, also it's very dangerous to parachute and it takes quite a bit of guts because it's not an ejector seat you literally just have to jump out of the cockpit.
>>
>reading the Churchill speech that starts of solemn and ashamed but then turns into a message of defiance and bravery just as they're realising that the station they're pulling into is full of people celebrating them as heros

God damn that was powerful.
>>
>>85303112
With modern parachutes they reckon you need at least 500ft and the rule is don't jump out if you're below 1000ft. Bane looked like he was about 400ft after he shot down the stuka.
>>
>>85303081
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KCiMdR1ox0
>>
>>85300591

Loved the movie but holy hell did that spit glide for a long time. Seemed like hours
>>
>>85302723
Loved it, yeah. Much better this way than Planet of the Apes and constant dialogue or subtitles to explain the most shallow of plot points or motives.
>>
>>85303112
>Risk life in parachute, when there is miles of flat beach
>>
>>85300591

I loved that scene, but did anyone else feel that the bit about the landing gear being fucked was kinda unneeded at that point?
>>
>>85303112
Germans could be particularly nasty to parachuters. At the time you were considered unarmed and essentially already surrendered if you bailed out of a plane in a chute, but they would often use your for target practice as you glided down anyways. Much safer to try and land your plane, plus I think a lot of POWs from the Allied side survived the war, compared to other camps of the time.
>>
>>85303313
Built the tension, so that his eventual landing, coupled with the beginning of Nimrod, was almost orgasmic.
>>
>saw this earlier today
>watched it in 4DX, was expecting it to ruin the film with meme effects
>left the cinema with PTSD

great film
>>
>>85303258

Not sure what the glide ratio of a Spitfire is (probably very high compared to modern planes) but it's stalling speed is very low, around 60mph
>>
I can't believe how brilliantly Nolan connected this with The Dark Knight Rises. Not only is Dunkirk kino, Iran also capekino.

>Tom Hardy is captured (part of his plan) and goes to German jail, but he keeps his fur-lined jacket
>he waits in the hopes that he'll be rescued after all he did for the troops
>no one comes for him
>develops breathing problems from German's throwing him down that hole with the other prisoners
>becomes friends with other prisoners and becomes known as the masketta man
>"I'll show them," he says. "I'll become the bane of their existence. The fire rises."
>drops accent as way of getting revenge on UK, adopts retarded American cartoon accent

Literally bravo Nolan. I'm crying at this realization that the two movies are directly related. He did this for us, boys.
>>
>>85303362
> Germans could be particularly nasty to parachuters.
Bullshit. Not to British pilots at least. They had a healthy respect for one another.
>>
>>85303442
I could honestly be thinking of pilots in the Pacific, my apologies. Either way landing is a much safer bet than parachuting, especially to make sure you can destroy the plane.
>>
>>85302723
plebshit

DunDIK was garbage
>>
>>85303554
t. capeshit fan
Kill yourself.
>>
>>85303579
You're a fuckin goober
>>
>>85300591
Can someone explain why did Nolan cut from the burning Spitfire to a close up of the main character/soldier in the train in Britain for literally a second? Why was that specific shot the last one?
>>
>>85303608
Yeah, well Dunkirk was a great film and I'm all up in your shit so what the fuck
>>
>>85303442

Lots of stories of German pilots being dicks.

I went to a school that still had their air raid shelters and there was an incident where one of the female teachers who came under fire from a German plane whilst running to the shelter and had to dive into it.

The only bombing incident for the town ( 30 miles off the sussex coast) was at a cinema. Lots of german planes had to lighten their load flying back and a lot of pilots had 'fun' when doing so, even if it involved civilian targets.
>>
>>85303618
I was wondering this too, although I had forgotten it.

Maybe he's the link to the 'other film' Nolan was talking about with Simon Mayo.

I think Nolan may have to do some awful American thing before returning to this actual film-making though.
>>
>>85303618

That soldier that escaped... was Bruce Wayne's grandfather.... the fire rises.
>>
>>85303681
I'm sure there were lots of British pilots being dicks too.

I'm still willing to bet that parachutists, on the whole, were not shot at or treated unfairly. (At least the Brits, I'm sure the Russians had a very sorry time of it.)
>>
Anyone else notice there were no closeups of the Germans. The most we see of them are wide angle shots of the fighters and bombers, and the men in the distance in op's image post. I can't think of another war movie like that.

I can't think of another war movie that doesn't cut back and forth between allies in their ship to nazis in their u-boat. Or, RAF pilot looking around in his cockpit cuts to closeup of nazi pilot with his visors down pressing his trigger.
>>
>>85303649
Honestly, I should fuck your ass for liking such a bad flick
>>
>>85303761
Nolan's on record saying that this was a conscious choice. The British soldiers/pilots rarely saw Germans close-up, so neither did we.

You have to agree that this way of doing it is much better than the jump-cutting of Hollywood.
>>
>>85302483
Drowning scenes always fuck me up
>>
>>85300920
He didn't have the right conditions or momentum after already fighting with an engine out. Landing poorly in the water will cause more of a fatal crash than on the ground with landing gear.
>>
WHY DIDNT HE JUST EJECT? He flew away for no reason!
>>
>>85303761
Very deliberately done. In fact Nazi Germany is never even named in the film, in the opening titles they're just called 'The Enemy'. I think they're meant to be this lingering, ever-present but unseen threat just always lurking on the boundaries of sight and perception, but never fully seen. Like when the soldiers go outside the perimeter, they say that 'Jerry could be behind those dunes', and how the fighters come out of the sun to attack. It increases the tension and sense of looming dread.

If this was an American production though there would have been an English-accented German SS villain, and the film would cut back to him periodically being shown impaling babies on spikes, murdering POWs and raping local French women (just to reinforce the point that the Nazis are evil). Also it would have had an hour of exposition where we meet the main characters and all their friends and family and we get a shoe-horned romance plot just so that we're rooting for the good guys to make it back to their Iowa potato farms.
>>
File: ImmelmannTurn-1024x742.png (129KB, 1024x742px) Image search: [Google]
ImmelmannTurn-1024x742.png
129KB, 1024x742px
>>85302286

I think he pulled an Immelman and on the way up the Stuka passed through his sights, giving a quick shot before he rolled back and glided the other way down the beach. This way he turns his momentum into altitude which he can transfer back into momentum again..

Only problem is whether or not he had the speed for the maneuver to begin with.
>>
>>85303112
Need more altitude and they would want to turn the plane upside down for bailing.
>>
>>85303362

I remember reading the exact opposite? That there as a code of honour for bailing out pilots on both sides. Don't know if that applied to soldiers shooting at bailing pilots though, because they would shoot at paratroopers.
>>
File: what ..jpg (20KB, 253x253px) Image search: [Google]
what ..jpg
20KB, 253x253px
>>85303440
Tfw Dunkirk is the prequel to TDKR
>>
>>85303942
maybe getting caught was part of his plan.
>>
>>85302022

>but in a good way

KYS
>>
>>85303471
>pilots in the Pacific
I think this would most likely be the case, the Japanese military had no respect for people who would stop fighting in order to survive. Like how some Japanese pilots would blow themselves up in the water while being rescued. It causes a vicious cycle on both sides.
>>
Did the soldier ever get the chance to have a poo?
>>
>>85303976
>If this was an American production though there would have been an English-accented German SS villain, and the film would cut back to him periodically being shown impaling babies on spikes, murdering POWs and raping local French women (just to reinforce the point that the Nazis are evil). Also it would have had an hour of exposition where we meet the main characters and all their friends and family and we get a shoe-horned romance plot just so that we're rooting for the good guys to make it back to their Iowa potato farms.
Are you ok, anon? Who hurt you?
>>
>>85303976
> that part in Saving Private Ryan where they reminisce about some cunt in a barn

> that part in Saving Private Ryan where they spend half the movie obsessed with Tom Hanks' profession back home

You're about to be attacked by the 2nd Waffen-SS Das Reich division - shut up and do something!
>>
>>85303442
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8LVlYJ5eJU
>>
>>85303618

I was wondering that too, but maybe it was because he didn't want it to be an indication that a Battle of Britain film was next if a Spitfire was the closing shot?
>>
>>85303942
There is no eject.
>>
>>85303996
For the majority of pilots I'm sure it was agreed upon and carried out, but not all. Especially not in the pacific. Japs were demon cannibals.
>>
>>85302532
to be sure he does look comfortable at the helm
the result achieved is muted, but appreciated
>>
>>85302723

Don't know if there's a specific film term for it, but wouldn't it just be minimalism?
>>
>>85304117
I'm sure there were isolated occurrences, but as he says himself in his first sentence, it wasn't the done thing.
>>
File: images-27.jpg (17KB, 512x288px) Image search: [Google]
images-27.jpg
17KB, 512x288px
>"Just stop your crying, it's a sign of the times / We gotta get away from here"

>That's a nice song

>*turns to camera* It's a new one

Anyone else find that scene a little out of place?
>>
>>85301953
>>85302022

They're literally the same thing.

And a good and healthy does of nationalism is good. There's nothing inherently contemptuous about it. Only a cuckhold would think otherwise.
>>
>>85302723
dogme 4U
>>
File: 1484041481868.png (27KB, 657x527px) Image search: [Google]
1484041481868.png
27KB, 657x527px
>spitfires never go above 1k altitude
>no hurricanes
>109s dogfighting on the deck
>109s escorting He111s on the deck flying at the same altitude
>>
>>85304274
https://youtu.be/vvZMygu99uE
>>
>>85304274
Sweet Creature is a good tune, wish they didn't play it through the intro credits, though.
>>
>>85303431
That is true about the stall speed.

I have to watch again but I think what made it so disorienting is that between the engine cutting out and the stuka kill we see like 5 different angles of him flying the same stretch.

For all I know it could've been 30 seconds between the two events.
>>
File: IMG_1083.jpg (72KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1083.jpg
72KB, 1024x576px
>>85302540
>>
>>85304155
to be fair they had quite the code of honor
>you don't show any mercy to the enemy, nor should you expect it
>no "giving it to them easy" because that's like a cat playing with its food
It comes off as being dicks though in history books
>>
>>85304292
Notice it's the military colours, not Germany's national flag.
>>
>>85304322

spitfires are pure pranefu
>>
Why doesn't this movie talks about how the british cowardly ran away when the french sacrificied themselves to allow them to escape ?

Why is it once again some anglo-american propaganda which rewrites history ?
>>
>>85304419
> Black Allgemeine-SS uniform post-1938
You fucked up.
>>
>>85304443
Yeah, little skirmishes like the Rape of Nanking and eating POWs tends to do that.
>>
>>85303996
British and German pilots tended not to for a couple of reasons - 1. Instructions came down from headquarters from both sides that essentially said "if we do it, they'll do it - and we don't want that". 2 - Depending on where you are it doesn't make sense to shoot their parachute, if they're over your territory far better to take them alive and have the option of interrogating them
>>
>>85304498
This is addressed in the film. Harry Styles is torn up about it, but ultimately sees that withdrawal and survival are better than death and surrender.
>>
>>85304471

This is probably a silly question, but where did they get the flag from? Do they have ones laying around just to bury people in them?
>>
>>85304498

Didn't catch that at all. Maybe you're just insecure and are therefore subconsciously interpreting repressed feelings?
>>
>>85304567
> Do they have ones laying around just to bury people in them?
Yes.
>>
>>85304498
This movie addresses this directly.

>Why is it once again some anglo-american propaganda which rewrites history?

It doesn't. You're just a dumbass.
>>
>>85304498
It's not cowardly to strategically retreat you moron. That was the entire Russian strategy and it worked. What should they have done, sit there like mongs?
>>
>>85304498
Did you watch any of the last few minutes with Styles and Brannagh's characters? Like even a little bit?
>>
>>85304498
Because the French decided not to stand and fight in the Ardennes when Rommel and Guderian's boys came rolling in.
>>
>>85303761
We'll technically you do get a close-up of Germans, when the two Wehrmacht soldiers walk up behind him and lead him off to be a POW, albeit there faces were out of focus
>>
>>85300591
This film had nice cinematography. That's all it had. No character development whatsoever, no thematic exploration. It was basically just showing how scary war was. Wow - so innovative.

> IQ of 85 - 100: Wow this movie was boring it sucked
>IQ of 100 - 130: This was kino because there was little dialogue
>IQ of 130+: This was a dumb flick because it failed to develop a lasting emotional response
>>
>>85302723
Absolute Kino
>>
File: d033737f84b1498f89f44d29e46db6d1.jpg (402KB, 1000x1058px) Image search: [Google]
d033737f84b1498f89f44d29e46db6d1.jpg
402KB, 1000x1058px
>>85304567
I'm not entirely sure. There is still some contact between countries via the Red Cross, but I'm not sure whether that extended to flag exchange.
>>
>>85304601

Fascinating.
>>
>>85303202
but that part of the movie was for the plebs, anon
>>
>>85304498
>being this dense
You remind me of a college roommates gf. Constantly on her phone or taking during movies instead of paying attention to the most basic things. Then you come on here and ask a question like this. How does it feel to waste whatever you paid for your ticket, friendo?
>>
File: feelslus.jpg (299KB, 1383x1600px) Image search: [Google]
feelslus.jpg
299KB, 1383x1600px
>he might never be himself again
>>
>>85304672
You forgot:

> IQ < 85: This film had nice cinematography. That's all it had. No character development whatsoever, no thematic exploration. It was basically just showing how scary war was. Wow - so innovative.
>>
>>85304520
They were right to hate the chinese
>inb4 wacist
bunch of corrupt gubbinments running an opium addicted shithole while stockpiling all their ill-gotten riches on Taiwan (then formosa)
>Only Mao to stand up against the Japanese Empire
Corrupt Chinese capitalism catalyzed communism in Asia
The Japanese were what merely what established its validity
>>
>>85304672
>because it failed to develop a lasting emotional response

If your heart didn't swell with pride when Nimrod started playing then you aren't British and need to GTFO.
>>
>>85304755
Nah, IQ < 85 were too busy going to see Baby Driver and gushing about it on reddit
>>
File: 1499879174426.jpg (115KB, 800x988px) Image search: [Google]
1499879174426.jpg
115KB, 800x988px
>>85304672
>IQ of 85 and 130+ responses are the same
>>
>>85303976
this desu
>>
>>85304790
>Int 10 in Fallout New Vegas is deducing the icecream
>Int 0 is merely shouting out the password is ICE CREAM
Intelligence is more how you come to the answer, not that you have the answer
>>
>>85304672

>what is a priori?

Now we guess your IQ
>>
both of the shady guys were german spies, right? i thought it was just that one of them didn't know english and so could only pretend to be french.
>>
File: 1415777913575.jpg (52KB, 350x310px) Image search: [Google]
1415777913575.jpg
52KB, 350x310px
>>85303976
>If this was an American production though there would have been an English-accented German SS villain, and the film would cut back to him periodically being shown impaling babies on spikes, murdering POWs and raping local French women (just to reinforce the point that the Nazis are evil). Also it would have had an hour of exposition where we meet the main characters and all their friends and family and we get a shoe-horned romance plot just so that we're rooting for the good guys to make it back to their Iowa potato farms.

That unironically would've been a better film.
>>
>>85302930
Yeah I thought he was going to wait til he lost more altitude and then try to land in the water near the last of the english ships. the other pilot was able to "land" in the water so its odd that he chose to go behind the english lines.
>>
>>85304843
> both of the shady guys
That one guy was found to be French. Who was the other?
>>
>>85304858
So redtails
>>
Alright, we need to decide now, which branch of the Bong military are you joining because of this film?

I'm angling towards the RAF myself.
>>
>>85304843
No they were just French. Germany had between 8 and 12 spies planted in Britain during the entire war, and all of those were either dead, in prison or turned double agent by the end. They had neither the means nor the desire to plant spies directly into British army units (where they'd be pretty much useless and highly likely to die or be captured). German intelligence was massively deficient and one of their major weaknesses, especially when compared to British intelligence.
>>
>>85304672
I totally agree with you, you're the best response in this entire thread
>>
>>85304722
>>85304614
>>85304613
>>85304605
>>85304595
>>85304566

I didn't actually watched the movie because i did not want to pay for propaganda, and i heard echoes about how it was dishonnest.

But if you say it isn't maybe i'll give it a try.
>>
>>85304908
the main character.

i guess i thought the second guy was only pretending to be french because he knew he couldn't manage faking english. the two of them seemed to know each other, it seemed odd if they weren't both german.

>>85304937
so neither were german? guess i completely misunderstood this film. so the first guy pretended to be english so he didn't have to stay and hold the line anymore?
>>
File: I'll be useful.jpg (201KB, 2550x1062px) Image search: [Google]
I'll be useful.jpg
201KB, 2550x1062px
>>85304672
>because it failed to develop a lasting emotional response

If you didn't tear up a bit when this young Brit just trying his best to serve King and Country died, you better never dare touch another cup of tea.
>>
>>85304936
I tried to join a few years ago but was refused for a skin condition. The army, not the RAF.

... I'm sure they weren't so picky in 1939.
>>
>>85304890
Probably safer on land
>>
>>85304672
Guess I'm in the 100-130 range. Which is good
>>
>they were dimwitted enough to fall for the god save the king meme
>they didn't watch the movie as a purely aesthetic experience while ignoring producer injected patriotism

enjoy feeling patriotic. you'll be ditched on the next beach
>>
>>85304997
> the main character
There isn't one.

If you mean Fionn Whitehead's character, then he's very British.
>>
>>85304322
Didn't they go to 2k for a while?
>>
>>85305092
> you'll be ditched on the next beach

> the entire movie is about *not* ditching people on beaches

We've got an Einstein here, boys.
>>
>>85304983
"I will stay, for the french"

Liccherallly last line spoken
>>
What do you think of the rescued plane guy killing the boy?
>>
When they were in the ship that had run aground, how were the Germans able to put holes in the boat?

Since water immediately poured through some of the holes, it can be assumed that they were below the water line when the bullets penetrated the hull. That doesn't really make spacial sense to me. Wouldn't the Germans either have to be firing through several meters of water or situated at an extremely high angle? Doesn't seem like very good target practice.
>>
>>85305112
the first guy, i mean. fionn whitehead. if his character was british though, why was he acting so shady and working with that other guy? why was he in the village, on the wrong side of the french line, in the beginning instead of already on the beach?
>>
>>85301412

I was waiting for these posts eagerly desu
>>
>>853051683

yeah so the hero is english after all
>>
>>85301865
Kill yourself, braindead libtard.
>>
>>85305215

meant for >>85305168
>>
File: the man who would be king screen.jpg (618KB, 2516x1677px) Image search: [Google]
the man who would be king screen.jpg
618KB, 2516x1677px
>>85305003
I didn't tear up at all because he was a literal nobody.

What the fuck was his name again?

What was his dad's name?

What was his brother's name?

Nobody in this film is a real person, they're just dummies for Nolan to move around and set up into ridiculous moral dilemas so he can intellectualy masturbate about his philosphical knowledge. There is nothing patriotic or inspiring about Dunkirk. The closing speech in the film is to make a pithy point about utilitarianism. Nolan is a fucking twerp. Did the same thing in TDKR and Interstellar. He sets up his movies to jack off about ideas, not to tell an engaging story
>>
>>85305092

Fuck you mate, I'll die with an Enfield in my hands and the Empire in my heart.
>>
>>85305186

Shooting holes between the waves, water pours in as the tide rises and laps against the side of the boat.

An occasional spurt of water through a hole in the hull wouldn't have been scary though.
>>
>>85305092

>all from the comfort of his armchair

what did you do with your life today, anon?
>>
Did anyone else have any trouble telling the soldiers apart ? They really looked all the same to me.
>>
>>85305283

His name was George you cunt. Not surprised you can't remember a proper British name when you here it.
>>
File: WWII-Britain2.jpg (106KB, 500x742px) Image search: [Google]
WWII-Britain2.jpg
106KB, 500x742px
>>85304936
Joining the King's Rifles.
>>
>>85303362
That was late war after Germany was in ruins that parachuters were killed. Most aces scoffed at such behavior anyways.
>>
>>85305206
You have a neat idea.

But I think that since the Germans were closing in on the French/British all the time, they were behind the lines simply due to German advances.

The two lads were working together to get back to England before the others by 'queue jumping' - a very un-British thing to do.

>>85305283
You use a lot of words there, kid. And don't say a great deal.

Nolan's intent, stated again and again, was to focus less on character and more on situation. They are 'vignettes' or people in terrible situations, snippets of what certain kinds of people do in these situations: Rylance the stoic veteran trying to keep shit together, Styles the scared green soldier, Hardy the heroic idealistic pilot.

Have some fucking imagination, son.
>>
Should have cut that dumb kid who dies and replaced it with more look at British higher command decision making and show the decision to take the boats
>>
>>85302127
I think that's partially because there isn't much to discuss. These threads are filled with duplicated discussions. Film making, technical aspects of the film, soundtrack, set pieces. These are the things being discussed.
What the fuck are normies supposed to talk about after leaving the theatre? WOW, GREAT SET PIECES! The movie doesn't leave much to be discussed. Characters weren't fleshed out, storyline is basic and historical, motives are clear. Nothing to chew over.
>>
The Good
>small amounts of dialog, lots of visual storytelling very nice.
>great cinematography overall
>The fucking sound design in the first couple of scenes was astonishing
>Hardy's character was an real human bean and an real hero
>Score was great in some places

The neutral
>story was almost non-existent. Which i suppose is okay because it was more about the atmosphere and re-telling what happened from the perspective of those on the ground
>You dont see the enemy soldiers at all until the last shot with hardy. This was obviously intentional because you dont even see them in the first few scenes or the trawler boat scene. I suppose it was to create the feeling that these people are escaping the war itself rather than trying to demonize the other side.

The bad
>the split narrative got kind of annoying when it was CONSTANTLY switching between storys, like every couple of shots. Especially towards the part where tom hardy shot down the bomber over the destroyer as it banked back around. It made the film feel drawn out and was almost DBZ levels of trying to create tension from nothing.
>Cheesy ending. Churchill stuff wasnt at all needed
>scene in the trawler seemed shoe-horned in to create tension while the other stories were doing so. Especially the stuff with the french guy being accused of beign a spy/told to get off the boat.
>Some of the triumphant moments seemed a bit over the top and cheesy. Specificlaly the general tearing up when he saw the civilian boats.

I liked it but cant see myself watching it again. I think it would have worked better as a short or a mini series but nolan obviously wanted to make it with the budget of a film, which imo messed with it's pacing overall.
>>
>>85301829
They expected one of us in the wreckage, brother.
>>
>>85305278
Line not said by the hero.

But they mention several times that the french is holding off the germans.
The frogs are not forgotten.
Even a french character in the film
>>
>>85305410
>le mini series meme

Hello 'dit
>>
>>85305410
>You dont see the enemy soldiers at all until the last shot with hardy. This was obviously intentional because you dont even see them in the first few scenes or the trawler boat scene. I suppose it was to create the feeling that these people are escaping the war itself rather than trying to demonize the other side

Not sure why you don't consider this a positive. I'm tired of Hollywood depicting German soldiers as cannon fodder. War itself is enemy.
>>
File: 1382311953894.jpg (34KB, 576x432px) Image search: [Google]
1382311953894.jpg
34KB, 576x432px
>>85305384
>The two lads were working together to get back to England before the others by 'queue jumping' - a very un-British thing to do.
Bloody hell I didn't pick up on that before.
>>
>>85303362
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attacks_on_parachutists
> Remembering the words of one of his commanding officers from the Jagdgeschwader 27, Gustav Rödel, during his time fighting in North Africa, "You are fighter pilots first, last, always. If I ever hear of any of you shooting at someone in a parachute, I'll shoot you myself."
>>
>>85305384
Yeah, exactly. Weird ass vignettes. It's like a bunch of half baked star trek episodes adapted for, and then squashed into a WW2 movie.

Like that scene on the boat where what'shisname tries to defend frenchface from Harry Styles. I couldn't make out the dialogue due to their dumb fucking prole accents, but it was trying to make some point about duty ethics and not singling out the Frenchman purely based on the fact that he's different from them and then ZOOP - on to the next scene.

I'm glad you enjoyed it man, but I thought it was a extremely clumsily put together film. I have a feeling that Nolan purposefuly constructs them this way so people are tempted to buy tickets to the movie multiple times to piece together the clustefuck of a narrative.
>>
>>85305507
to be fair it's better than waiting for another stuka dive
>>
>>85305410
> story was almost non-existent.
Unnecessary, everyone knows the story of Dunkirk, unless you're American or something.

> You dont see the enemy soldiers at all until the last shot with hardy.
The British hardly saw Germans face-to-face at this stage in the war, so neither do we.

> the split narrative
Somewhat agree. But how the three threads came together at the end was enjoyable.

> Cheesy ending. Churchill stuff wasnt at all needed
I liked it. It's only for the last two minutes or so, and it's what actually happened. The music is the only addition.

> french guy being accused of beign a spy
Kinda agree.

> triumphant moments seemed a bit over the top and cheesy
This film is almost cheese-free compared to the Hollywood nonsense we are usually fed.
>>
>>85305621
Was confused
The only way i could tell the frenchman was french was
>OI EE'S A FROG!
other than that the fucking trawler scene was impossible to understand do to the sound being fucked
>>
>>85305410
>>Cheesy ending. Churchill stuff wasnt at all needed
I think you're missing the actual historical impact of that speech which helped strengthen the spirit of the UK when most believed that it was only a matter of time till it fell.

>Some of the triumphant moments seemed a bit over the top and cheesy. Specificlaly the general tearing up when he saw the civilian boats.
Yeah I agree on this point though.
>>
File: 1489979354062.png (338KB, 542x571px) Image search: [Google]
1489979354062.png
338KB, 542x571px
Im honestly surprised at how many prople were emotional over the same scene that I was. I thought it was absolutely beautiful that even though it looked like kenneths character was going to give farrier still managed to shoot down that last stuka without any fuel left.
>>
>>85305643
>Unnecessary, everyone knows the story of Dunkirk, unless you're American or something.
Was literally never taught this in School. Pretty sure it isn't in the circulum for Scottish education.
>>
>>85305410
>it would have worked better as a mini-series

I hate this opinion no matter what movie it is applied to

Your other criticisms are valid, though
>>
>>85304831
Except you need luck of 10 to guess ice cream as the password, so I guess we know you set your int to 0
>>
How did the guys in the boat that was being shot holes in get out?
>>
File: 1384655262870.jpg (41KB, 283x323px) Image search: [Google]
1384655262870.jpg
41KB, 283x323px
>>85302788
>I've only seen it because of you

You got caught in the hype of those 10/10 reviews, probably almost everyone in this board did
>>
>>85305712
>I think you're missing the actual historical impact of that speech which helped strengthen the spirit of the UK when most believed that it was only a matter of time till it fell.

AKA it's for the brainlets that don't know history and need to be reminded all our characters really "won," even though this works directly against the feelings all the characters are going through in diegetic time
>>
>>85305737
Oh
oops
What was int 10 then. the random speaking in code shit?
>>
>>85303313
It was literally symboic of the entire situation. Struggling to land (survive) so he can live to fight another day. The struggle to get the wheels down, the fact that he couldn't fly anymore, all of it was an allegory to the plot of the movie
>>
Guys, I didn't get this movie. What was the message exactly, that war is dumb and soldiers are lame?

[I'm a girl by the way/spoiler]
>>
>>85302127
yeah mine was weirdly silent.
i thought murphy's performance stuck out the most.
>>
>>85305838
The message is that you can see England from France. To be honest its a giant ad for Dover tourism.
>>
>>85305802
That was having a high enough sci to speak in code to the Securitron at the entrance to the strip, bypassing the passport / money check
>>
>>85305788

That or it's trying to get across the theme that mere survival today can bring about victory tomorrow.
>>
>>85305721
> I must be taught something at school to know it.
>>
>>85305712
I understand the context and how significant that speech was at the time but im english and we've all heard that speech 1000 times before. Its like the ending of a film about the cviil rights movement having MLK's "I HAVE A DREAM" speech play at the end of it. Putting it in there is essentially just telling the audience how to feel, especially with the triumphant music with it. It just felt hokey to me, like it was designed to inspire and make me tear up. It felt manipulative. As soon as i heard it the speech being read i knew it would be the last scene because
>war films have to end on an optimistic/solemn note.
>>
>>85305838
the message is that tom hardy is really fucking good at wrecking other people's planes
>>
>>85305986
I can see France from my house! - every person in Dover, probably
>>
>>85303362

It was actually the exact opposite when the war started. Shooting down a parachuter was seen as cowardly.
>>
>>85305907
well then yeah being retarded was funner
minus the
>less skill points/level
>>
>>85305970
That's how most people learn things, yes. I doubt your average 16 year old in Dorset knew what happened at Dunkirk before this film came out
>>
>>85300591
can't wait for .webms of this movie
>>
>>85306020
woops, meant for >>85305902
>>
>>85305788

Have you ever heard the saying, "We may have lost the battle, but we'll win the war?"

Moral victories actually have weight in war.
>>
>>85306029
It was more enjoyable in the first two games where everyone had completely different dialogue if your int was below 3
>>
>>85305753
It floated out to sea with the tide and they climbed out the hatch when it sank.

>>85305986
Of course Churchill's speech was manipulative, that was its entire purpose. But it was also required, Britain was on the verge of being invaded, and people before Dunkirk thought the war was 'over there somewhere'. He was preparing us for Total War.
>>
>>85305986

This is probably because you subconsciously hate your country, your race, your gender, and yourself.
>>
>>85305986

Yeah I can see what you mean by that, personally I liked it but I guess it is akin to the fact that anything to do with Pearl Harbour needs FDR saying "infamy".
>>
>>85306061
Then you had a particularly shit school. WW2 is consistently on the curricula of all schools.

t. Teacher
>>
>>85306011

And refuses to be in a plane unless he has a mask on.
>>
>>85305283
>There is nothing patriotic or inspiring about Dunkirk.
that was the point, right? Just show that these were a bunch of mostly nameless kids trying to do everything they could to survive a hellish experience

I'm glad we didn't get the needless exposition on their families and their dogs back home
>>
>>85300591
>Powerful

Nolan ends all of his movies this way.
>>
how did this movie only cost 150 mil? i feel like it would be way more expensive
>>
>>85306141
>>85306131
Im talking about the speech's placement in the film. Not the speech itself.
>>
>>85301791
I think they were expecting one of them to be in the plane.
>>
>>85304116
>soldiers never had conversation during down time
>character development doesn't help the audience immerse themselves and connect with the characters
Is this what britbongs actually believe?

Amazing film btw
>>
>>85306170
Teacher here as well, anon, keep up the good fight.
>>
>>85302403
ICEBERG, RIGHT AHEAD
>>
>>85306248

This meme was perpetrated by Spielberg in Saving Private Ryan only because Spielberg inserts annecdote in almost every film. He goes off on some tangent and starts to explain backstories that flesh out characters. It's simply a style of filmmaking.
>>
>>85304116
>they spend half the movie obsessed with Tom Hanks' profession back home
Oh come on, I know you're being hyperbolic but that was an interesting bit about Miller's character and wasn't cumbersome in any way.
>>
>>85306170
>gets a week in high school
>is somehow strictly about how japan was a dick and hitler wanted to kill all the jews
Triggered me
>>
SUPERIOR DUNKIRK INCOMING

https://youtu.be/QijbOCvunfU
>>
>>85302503
Aren't all of Nolans movies connected?
>>
>>85306248
You could argue we got the exposition about family back home with the inclusion of George, the captain guy, and that one kid that looked like one of the Hardy Boys. Not that I didn't like it but it was there.
>>
>>85306365

Have you ever met a British person or talked to one? We're awkward as fuck until you've known us for years.
>>
>>85304443
It comes off as inhuman
>>
>>85306275
Nolan killed off half the extras by blowing them up and drowning them so he wouldn't have to pay them
>>
>>85306505
+1
>>
>>85306291
I think in any other movie it would have been cheese, but not here. It was a good choice to have the soldier read it himself, out of the newspaper.
There was a reason the film followed those two, even once they made it back to England.
>>
>>85303202
So was that Churchill greeting them and not looking at their faces towards the end?
>>
>>85306365
>Soldiers conversations always have to be about ma and apple pie and marrying Betty Lou and making an honest woman out of her when I get back to muhh cottage in the Blue Ridge after this durned war is over boys, and here's a photo of her - durn't she look purdy
Is this what Amerilards actually believe?

Lots of love t. Sipping Limey ;^)
>>
>>85306275
Nolan is famous in the industry for bringing projects in early and underbudget, that's where using cardboard cutouts as crowds of extras gets you
>>
>>85306459
You have a vagina don't you anon?
>>
>>85306493
that's a good point too
>>
>>85306641

>ahead of schedule
>under budget
>Nolan 2020
>>
>>85306436
I was being hyperbolic, to be fair. But only to prove the underlying truth.

Of course soldiers talk shit during downtime, but this isn't interesting fodder for films. If I'm watching a film about paratroopers being attached the the Waffen-SS, I don't want to know what Tom Hanks does for a living.

As >>85306414 explains, it's a matter of taste. I'd prefer my war films to just get on with the war.
>>
>>85306641
didnt used enough cardboard desu
>>
>>85305003
God he had an ugly mug, glad he removed himself from the already polluted bong breeding bin.
>>
>>85304274
The little wick after he said that had me leaving the theater.
>>
>>85302723
Kino.
>>
File: 1443679.jpg (56KB, 300x360px) Image search: [Google]
1443679.jpg
56KB, 300x360px
>tfw George got to be in the newspaper
>>
>>85306693
I spent half the movie trying to figure out if he was half asian

still trying to figure it out
>>
>>85302856
as the stukas were coming in I wondered every time if they could possibly get louder and they just kept getting louder
>>
File: FF2uBFZ.jpg (97KB, 969x1045px) Image search: [Google]
FF2uBFZ.jpg
97KB, 969x1045px
Has he saved the summer?
>>
Why was the last shot of the film of the guy on the train's face? Fionn Whitehead's I believe
>>
>falls down 3 steps
>goes blind and dies
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>85307036
cracked his skull, mate
>>
>>85307036
He bashed his head on a piece of metal
>>
>>85307036

He hit his head on some protruding bit of metal pipework or something, you see it behind his head when he's lying face down.
>>
>>85307036
Literally happens m8, sometimes people just fall funny, land on their head or their spine. Turns what would otherwise be a little fall into a fatal accident.
>>
>>85306693
>>85306909

I think he's Irish.
>>
>>85307135
that's honestly my biggest fear.
>>
>>85306612
I can understand why you find people connecting with one another on a deep level during war out of place and I'll admit that we Americans can be too friendly at times. But I think it adds to our identity in a pleasant way. Kind of like the retarded kid at the lunch table that everyone loves to hate but if someone outside the group fucks with him, we'd kick his ass.
>>
Would women be capable of understanding this film? Trying to decide whether to take my gf or not.
>>
>>85306980
worst summer for movies in recent history

like really disappointing, even after the past few summers

I loved Dunkirk, actually liked Alien Covenant, and that's about it. Haven't seen Baby Driver yet but my reddit tier friends say it's good. Everything else is either so disappointing or so dull.
>>
>>85306505
I was responding to someone critiquing Saving Private Ryan, which are U.S. soldiers
>>85306612
Did you even watch SPR? One time they're talking like regular guys about someone they knew who peed on another guy or some shit like that. Then, another guy later talks about this one lady he knew with a huge rack and she let him stare at them. And even as they first depart on the mission, the translator guy gets mocked for trying to get to know the others. The dialogue in that film is incredible and both films are incredible
>>
>>85307063
>>85307082
>>85307135
I fell out of a two story window head-first and cracked my skull on concrete when i was around 10-11 and im fine.

tfw i have a horrible fear that i might have brain damage from it but all of my MRI scans came back fine. Tfw the scene where the kid hit his head made me feel faint and woozy because it reminded me of the time i cracked my skull and resurfaced my fear
>>
>>85307217
I'm sure she would like Harry Styles and Hardy. The deeper senses about duty, glory, and sacrifice will, I'm afraid, be lost on her.
>>
>>85307217
My mom liked it a lot but her taste in things is pretty rare among women it seems.
>>
>>85307295
It's all about where you hit your head, how hard, etc
>>
>>85307223
>worst summer for movies in recent history

What the fuck are you talking about last summer as such a shitshow that they've lost $2 billion from summer box office I think they even lose more this year
>>
I feel sorry for the people who won't see this on the big screen.

Watching it on your laptop is not acceptable with this movie.
>>
>>85304890
I mean his buddy landed on water because he absolutely could not reach land, and he almost drowned doing it so I assume Hardy just wanted to get as smooth of a landing as he could.
>>
>>85307295
>tfw nolan wrote that to illicit fear in those who have had traumatic head injuries
Bravo Nolan?
>>
>>85307217
I just got back from seeing it because my fiance is at work. She wanted to see it but only because I did. She would've been bored to tears desu. Still love her tho, just not a quality movie fan
>>
>>85307215
Honestly mate, I'm (mostly) joking, you Americans do you. It just gets somewhat tiring in every war film to have lengthy sequences that are essentially the director flashing up a sign saying "You care about this person now". Most of you are actually okay.

>>85307259
Of course then there's this faggot. What's the matter chum Betty Lou run off with that no good neighbour of yours after he stole the apple pie your 'mom' baked for you and wrapped in the stars and stripes for safe keeping?
>>
>>85304983
Then why would you ask why it doesn't address something when you've literally no idea if it actually does or doesn't you fucking mong?
>>
>>85305003

>Cillian Murphy has a small scuffle that lasts 5 seconds
> Inbred kid falls down 5 steps inside the ship and hurts his head
> He's dead 2 scenes later

This was the only part of the film I was baffled by. Completely pointless, poorly executed, unnecessary mortality drama, and it just seems silly in the end. I didn't think the kid was going to die because the """""fight"""""" that killed him was so pathetic and short. He ended up being an emotional pawn for Nolan to make the seafaring part of the film seem serious. Should've dropped his character all together.
>>
>>85307484
How many 'rekt' gifs have you seen where some kids gets punched once and instantly dies? Many, I bet.

The shocking thing about many accidents like this is how quick and unexpected they are.
>>
>>85307295
My grandpa was pushed out of a third story window in college during a hazing thing and ended up with some sort of brain damage. The guys who pushed him out didn't help him so he was on the ground in the snow for an hour until someone found him. Ended up with some pretty bad brain damage. Lots of really bad headaches, started to lose his memory early. Started drinking and smoking to try and escape the pain. Died in his 50s from overall terrible health and effects of alcoholism.

Every time I see someone hit their head, I think about it. I miss my grandpa.
>>
>>85302723
Nigga you are talking about KINO literally
So check yoself!
>>
>>85307409
>It just gets somewhat tiring in every war film to have lengthy sequences that are essentially the director flashing up a sign saying "You care about this person now"
You could say the same thing about any other aspect of a film.

>tense music playing
>cutting back and forth from character to character
>"this is when you should be on the edge of your seat!"
Dialogue, just like anything else, can be done well or poorly. No need to get hostile, bruv
>>
>>85307215
I honestly like the openness myself. After studying in America for a semester I realised how stilted some conversations here are.
>>
>>85307409
Wew, for a joke you really insert lots of venom into your words.
>>
>>85307346
so you basically agreed with me?
>>
>>85307539
not the same anon, but that's actually the problem i had with it. it felt like nolan was trying too hard to hit le "death is sudden and unpredictable" nihilism. it was hackneyed.
>>
>>85307637
I'm British
>>
[TICKING INTENSIFIES]
>>
Jew Jahns has adhd
>>
>>85307663
Nimrod intensifies.
>>
Does anyone know who played the guy on the smaller boat that arrived after the main character(s) exited the larger torpedoed boat? He looked an awful lot like Cillian Murphy, and this confused me.
>>
File: 22521705.gif (1MB, 328x239px) Image search: [Google]
22521705.gif
1MB, 328x239px
>Tom Hardy shooting down the stuka in gliding spitfire
>>
>>85302733
His kids probably know about it and annoyed him enough where he looked into it.
>>
File: 1372164936438.jpg (83KB, 753x768px) Image search: [Google]
1372164936438.jpg
83KB, 753x768px
>According to actor-director Kenneth Branagh, roughly 30 veteran Dunkirk survivors, who were in their mid nineties, attended the premiere in London. When asked about the film, they felt that it accurately captured the event but that the soundtrack was louder than the actual bombardment, a comment that greatly amused director Christopher Nolan.
>>
>>85303112
Getting caught was part of his plan.....
>>
>>85307703
The guy in the rowboat? I thought the same thing for a bit.
>>
>>85307539

If he wanted it to seem realistic, then the fight should've lasted longer and had more intesity to it. There's 5 seconds of camera shake, and I remember the old captain being on the other side of the wheel not even being touched with this "well, I never!" expression. The biggest sin of that whole plot point was its poor execution, and the character still would've been an emotional pawn of nolan even if he did the scene correctly.
>>
>>85307746
>the soundtrack was louder than the actual bombardment
fucking this
they played music over most of the dialogue and it washed out any semblance of coherence/impact due to the poor sound mixing.
>>
>>85307771
Yes, the one who told him to hang on tot he rope.
>>
man the plane scenes were brilliant
>>
>>85307703
>>85307771
>>85307866

It was him from an earlier time.
>>
For a movie about WWII, it sure is avant garde.
>>
>>85307703
Same person. From the earlier timeline.
>>
>>85307937
>Come and See
>>
File: Tom-Hardy_Dunkirk_2017.jpg (253KB, 1200x870px) Image search: [Google]
Tom-Hardy_Dunkirk_2017.jpg
253KB, 1200x870px
>>85307888
>"I'm on him"

Tom Hardy wasn't actually ON the enemy fighter, he was still in his own plane. What gives?
>>
>>85307893
>>85307972
That's what I thought it might be, but the thought of how he got from point A to point B (both physically and emotionally) left me questioning that theory.
>>
>>85308083
>he missed the part were Hardy latches onto the enemy fighter and jumps out of his plane onto the smaller plane
>>
>tom hardy wearing a mask while riding on a plane that he uses to make sure the fire rises
what movie am I talking about?
>>
>>85308133
They went out on the raft to the next waiting ship, but got torpedoed again in the water. Cillian was the last survivor. Don't forget the land events took place over the course of a week, and the sea events all happened on the last day
>>
File: ah.jpg (659KB, 1898x3000px) Image search: [Google]
ah.jpg
659KB, 1898x3000px
Anyone else surprised Nolan didn't try to shoehorn her in?
>>
>>85308226
Ah, thanks. That makes more sense now.
>>
>>85308133
He obviously gets onto some destroyer or something and that gets sunk by U-boat. This fucks him up emotionally (he's already visibly shaken on the lifeboat).

>>85308238
Did you catch Michael Caine's cameo?
>>
I hope Rylance becomes a part of the "in every Nolan movie" group.
>>
>>85308326
>Did you catch Michael Caine's cameo?
No, who was he?
>>
>>85308388
The fighter pilots' commander who radios them at the start.
>>
>>85303976
That's litteraly the main problem with movies nowadays. Everything has to be simplified and explained to the casual viewer.
>>
>>85308436

From RAF command? Did not pick up on that at all
>>
>>85308327
pretty much everyone in this movie should be in his future movies
Thread posts: 348
Thread images: 33

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.