[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Star Trek

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

File: TNG_head.jpg (45KB, 825x490px) Image search: [Google]
TNG_head.jpg
45KB, 825x490px
If the ship's computer can create intelligences on par or superior to Data, doesn't it deserve rights, too?
>>
The "Data is a conscious entity" conceit only flies because Brent Spiner's performance is infused with lots of emotional cues.
>curiosity
>puzzlement
>longing
>embarrassment
But the more I think about it the less I believe it. Being conscious without emotions just doesn't make sense. If you don't care about anything and you're just a pile of circuits I don't think you're conscious, I think one is required for the other.
>>
>>85294303
What about Moriarty? It cared about things, including its own survival, and even advanced concepts like villainy and freedom.
>>
>>85294391
Definitely an entity, imprisoning him was kind of fucked up
>>
>>85294667
So leaving Data out of it (except for the fact that he was kind of an ingredient in Moriarty's creation), if the ship's computer can create a Moriarty then doesn't it too deserve rights?
>>
>>85294150
Sometimes the show's creators make these one-off plots that have further-reaching implications than intended for the overall series. Another example I can think of would be the fact that the transporter can be used to cure all disease and possibly prevent aging. It's only used for that purpose once I believe in the episode 'Unnatural Selection.' The concept is dropped after that. So I don't necessarily think the ship's computer was intended to deserve rights.

But to continue, does the ship's computer deserve inalienable rights, or does Moriarty. Is the ship's computer also sentient?
>>
>>85295150
There's also Relics where the transporter is used as a stasis device, which while imperfectly executed in the episode still has implications.

Canonically, ship's computers can create intelligences on the level of or possibly exceeding the level of other AGIs, can reproduce contrary to the will of the "Captain" or crew, and eventually even get organic brains in the form of bio-neural gelpacks. Pretty sure they have rights and will go to heaven or hell when destroyed.
>>
I freaking love Star Trek.
>>
>>85294747

Women can create a person but they certainly don't deserve rights.
>>
>>85296089
/thread
>>
>>85296089
Holy crap, that's a bit misogynistic don't you think??
>>
Enterprise also gave birth to a little ship, defenetly deserves rights
>>
>>85296351
All ships computers have rights. The fact that the federation treats them as slaves is problematic.
>>
>>85294150
Data's saving grace was Picard, otherwise he would have been disassembled.
Even Picard doesn't actually cares and in fact had no problems with disassembling Lore and sending him in pieces to Starfleet for study
>>
>>85296536
Well, they treat everyone as slaves(no money), so no change there.
>>
File: where.do.you.think.we.are.png (651KB, 1067x800px) Image search: [Google]
where.do.you.think.we.are.png
651KB, 1067x800px
>>85296295
>>
>>85296618
Picard could go fuck off to a vineyard if he wanted to and no one would care but the Enterprise can't even create an opponent which can challenge Data or make a babby without the humans furiously trying to stop it.

Ship's computers' lives matter
>>
>>85296628
haha
>>
>>85296179
This
>>
Remember when Laforge and Brhams found a solution to their problem, which was to turn the ship over to the computer. Everyone sat around discussing it like it was a grave matter. Then they ended up doing something else entirely. So maybe they're afraid of the computer.
>>
>>85297698
It can create evil Datas, pretty sure it's sensible to be afraid of it
>>
>>85296089
Kek
>>
>>85296089
lol'd like crazy
>>
>>85296089
haha ha!
>>
>>85298082
>>85298496
>>85298854
Wow! Thanks for telling us you had a good hearty laugh at that posts!
>>
>>85298973
hehe
>>
>>85298973
lol'd my butt off
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.