[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tale of Two Dunkirks

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 10

File: Dumbkek.png (812KB, 934x1012px) Image search: [Google]
Dumbkek.png
812KB, 934x1012px
>Atonement 2007
>Dunkirk is crowded with scattered men, fortifications and scores of abandoned vehicles and equipment

>Dunkirk 2017
>Dunkirk is mostly empty with rows of terrified men in single file and few if any vehicles and no fortifications beyond the city proper

Someone is lying and I'm betting it was Nolan. Seriously, did he only have enough budget for the Spitfires and sinking boats?
>>
got em
>>
>>85283353
look up for real images of that beach, kid. jesus fucking christ.
>>
File: dunkirk.jpg (55KB, 1200x844px) Image search: [Google]
dunkirk.jpg
55KB, 1200x844px
>>85283988
this
The Atonement version is hideously exaggerated for dramatic effect
>>
>>85284019
>hideous
It may be exaggerated but hideous it isn't, this is what kino used to look like before Nolan ruined it by making everything 'real' (Which works for him but not for his imitators).
>>
>>85284019
qhy are those other soldiers standing on the water?
>>
Why didnt they just bury themselves
>>
>>85284061
The fastest way to make me reject your comment as inane garbage is through your use of the word "kino". Try harder next time, kiddo.

>>85284074
Waiting for the next boat to roll in.
>>
>celebrating a pathetic military defeat
>>
>>85284108
>it's another let's annoy the British and American posters instead of talking about the movie post
>>
File: hmmm.jpg (71KB, 1908x1144px) Image search: [Google]
hmmm.jpg
71KB, 1908x1144px
>>85284019
>>85283988
>>
File: hmmm2.jpg (191KB, 964x601px) Image search: [Google]
hmmm2.jpg
191KB, 964x601px
>>85284136
>>
File: hmmm3.jpg (96KB, 634x483px) Image search: [Google]
hmmm3.jpg
96KB, 634x483px
>>85284181
>>
>>85284092
The fastest way to make me reject your comment as inane garbage is through your use of the word "kiddo". Try harder next time, kino.
>>
what was the point of dunkirk anyways. was it the frenches fault?
>>
>>85284233
Everyone though Germany was shit but then it turned out Germany wasn't shit.
>>
>>85283353
I don't know who was lying, but I do know who made a better film, and it wasn't Nolan.
>>
File: 1459696622009.png (237KB, 409x370px) Image search: [Google]
1459696622009.png
237KB, 409x370px
>>85284108
>tfw Australian
>tfw people here go on about the defeat in Gallipolli instead of celebrating our efforts at the western front

It feels like we lost ww1 every time Anzac day comes around.
Sure we should remember the dead, but dont make it such a fucking bummer
>>
>>85284233
They all thought the krauts couldn't drive their tanks through the forest, never underestimate their engineering lol
>>
>>85284181
>>85284208
>>85284136
Those aren't fortifications and Nolan added Debris
>>
File: 16May-21May_Battle_of_Belgium.png (148KB, 890x688px) Image search: [Google]
16May-21May_Battle_of_Belgium.png
148KB, 890x688px
>>85284233
It was our fault for not realising WWI was the best France would ever perform against the Germans.
>>
>>85284233
>was it the frenches fault
Dunkirk happening (and the whole Invasion of France) was pretty much the Allies underestimating the Germans and general fuckups on their side.
Dunkirk itself going as well as it did was mostly the Royal and French Navy, RAF and French rearguard paired with German fuckups.

It's worth noting that by the time the French surrendered the army had actually gotten its shit together and halted the German advance and could've probably fought on for quite some time but a general weariness for another long war after the experience of WW1 along with the fall of Paris led to the surrender.
>>
>>85284233
Germans stopped their advance because their generals got scared and let the British escape. They could've had 300k POWs and force Britain into peace.
>>
>>85284412
wtf am i looking at? if paris is way at the bottom and dunkirk way up there then why was dunkirk so important?
>>
>>85284108
>ameritard can't fathom the idea that a ww2 film doesn't have to always be the usual WE THE BEST LET'S KILL ALL THE EBIL NAZIS SO HEROIC SO VICTORIOUS shootout propaganda flick
>>
>>85284289
This.
>>
>>85284587
Dunkirk itself is unimportant as fuck. The BEF being cut off up there and being encircled is what is important.
>>
>>85284375
Nolan added nothing.
>>
>>85283353
is that a modern cargo container terminal in the background?
great work!
>>
>>85284657
did the french not no about flanking?
>>
>>85284289
lmao are you serious?
Dunkirk has uncomparably better set pieces, editing, cinematography, sound design, soundtrack, production design, pacing, blocking everything, the execution of almost any filmmaking element is better in Dunkirk than Atonement.
The only thing Atonement has better is "characters" but again it has a shoved love story and all the usual war tropes which Nolan thankfully didn't put in.
>>
>>85284289
>do I fit in yet guys? XD
>>
>we're dun, Kirk
Really? Jesus Christ
>>
>>85284587
British got surrounded there as you can see on the map.
>>
>>85284712
no the French didn't know about flanking, one of the most elementary elements of warfare since antiquity.
>>
>>85284742
is harry styles kirk? why isnt it spelled done,kirk?
>>
>>85284712
They did. They tried to convene a meeting about rallying the remaining encircled forces to strike at Cambrai for the encirclement to be broken, but by this time, the Belgians were only biding their time till they surrendered and the British were already weighing up the option of evacuating by sea, so nothing came of it.
>>
>>85284761
is there a sequel where france is invaded by refugees through dunkirk
>>
>>85284724
>set pieces

What, were you looking for set pieces in an estate, or in a hospital?

>editing

Incoherently mashing together three different storylines doesn't make for better editing.

>cinematography

Are YOU serious? Nolan can't compose a shot to save his life. Even with the valiant efforts of van Hoytema, nothing in Dunkirk can come close to Atonement's visuals.

>Sound design

I'll give you this one.

>soundtrack

TICK TOCK TICK TOCK TICK TOCK TICK TOCK

>production design

I'll give you this one too.

>has a shoved love story and all the usual war tropes which Nolan thankfully didn't put in

Atonement's love story is hardly shoved in, especially considering the fact that it's a fucking adaptation. The film is at its core a love story that happens to be set during WW2. Dunkirk at its core is an autistic attempt to "realistically" present a historical event for the enjoyment of autists and people who are easily wowed by nice sound effects.
>>
>>85284742
this is now a planet of dunkirk
>>
>>85284913
>nothing in Dunkirk can come close to Atonement's visuals.
So you're telling me that Seamus McGarvey (who by the way shot The Avengers and 50 Shades of Grey) has better composition and framing than Hoyte Van Hoytema?
>>
>>85284019
Hmmm, no sweety:

>>85284136
>>85284181
>>85284208

I'm afraid Nolan only depicts a version of History that feeds the beady-eyed ego.
For instance the fact that he deliberately ignores that without the french troops Operation Dynamo would have become a total failure... just to keep on with the surrender monkey narrative.
>>
>>85284061
>I got disproven so I'm just going to meme my way out of being embarrassed on a mongolian basket weaving board for autistic children.a
CLASSIC
>>
>>85284074
the brits had god on their side and he gave them jesus powers temporarily
>>
>>85285124
>For instance the fact that he deliberately ignores that without the french troops Operation Dynamo would have become a total failure... just to keep on with the surrender monkey narrative.

yeah not like the french had a scene dedicated to them behind fortifications in the city and saying 'bon voyage' to the kid

wouldn't expect a yank to understand such """"subtleties"""" without the need for a narrator
>>
>>85284412
>Germany was 40% more populated than France
>"I can't believe they lost!"
>>
>>85285072
>(who by the way shot The Avengers and 50 Shades of Grey)

What the fuck does that have to do with what he did in Atonement? The guy has a varied resume which has nothing to do with the bold visual work of Atonement
>>
>>85285124
>For instance the fact that he deliberately ignores that without the french troops Operation Dynamo would have become a total failure..

>>85285259
Also what the navy guy at the end says. It's not like the French effort was ignored, but this was a film devoted to the British soldiers' experiences
>>
>>85283353
Just because you didn't see it doesn't mean it wasn't going on in the movie asshole.

>Atonement 2007
>Soldiers are playing on a carousel. And chilling out. No real organization. Everyone scattered.

>Dunkirk 2017
Soldiers in despair. Walking out into the ocean trying to swim across. Airplane's fighting over their heads. Boats sink by the hundreds. French people getting fucked over to save brits.
>>
>>85284467
literally Belgium
>>
>>85285829
You forgot your meme arrows.
>>
>>85284233
They all thought they could dunk on Germany but ran with their tails between their legs. Only the Brits could make something this embarrassing into something heroic.

The only reason they even got away is because Hitler deliberately stopped his divisions to allow it.
>>
>>85287125
>The only reason they even got away is because Hitler deliberately stopped his divisions to allow it.
Yeah, Hitler was being merciful, electing only to use Stukas and U-boats to massacre the allies.
>>
>>85287125
This is my favourite retarded ww2 meme
>>
>>85285124

You motherfucking pice of shet.
How many times it was mentioned in the movie that the french saved the day,and it was french blood that brought more time for the brits.
>>
>>85287125
>>
>>85287370
Still had to keep up appearances.
>>
>>85283353
>Atonement
>a tale of a guilt-ridden woman who makes up bullshit dramatic romance stories of lovers about her sister and fiancee after accusing him of raping his sister to "atone" for being a lying piece of shit
>accurately depicting Dunkirk
Ameriburgers I swear.
>>
>>85289007
That Nolan couldn't be arsed to show the hundreds of thousands of tons of guns, trucks, motorcycles and supplies that got left on the beach shows he's a hack, pure and simple.
>>
File: intotrashitgoes.jpg (116KB, 1516x892px) Image search: [Google]
intotrashitgoes.jpg
116KB, 1516x892px
>>85284913
>The film is at its core a love story that happens to be set during WW2.
>>
>>85284820
Reynaud was desperately trying to keep the French in the fight. The British came to him with a proposal form a Franco-British union (shared citizenship, currency, military council, etc.) as they couldn't afford a complete French surrender, which he and a few of his advisors liked the idea of. But when he brought it back to the French cabinet, they hated it almost unanimously, some even declaring they'd rather be a Nazi puppet state than share a union with Britain. He almost immediately resigned, having confused the cabinet's vehement opposition towards a union with support for an armistice, which was an error on his part as they likely would have decided to continue the fight in North Africa. fucking KEK
>>
>>85284913
You are correct, but this board is inundated with /v/ tourists and Nolan kiddies
>BWRAAMMMM tick tock tick BWRAMMMM
>wow what tension this movie is telling me to feel! Genius!

When the plucky fishermen arrived, Churchill's speech was read and Tom Hardy's superhero pilot burned his plane with such honor I wanted to puke. I was told of an ugly and honest survival story and what I got was even more maudlin and saccharine than fucking Saving Private Spielberg
Thread posts: 62
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.