[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does /tv/ love this movie so much?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 5

File: e.jpg (23KB, 300x450px) Image search: [Google]
e.jpg
23KB, 300x450px
You say that TFA is garbage, yet you praise this "movie"

>BUT DUDE LONG TAKES ARE FOR PATRICIANS
You can have long quiet scenes that are both good and bad. Just because its long doesnt automatically make it good fucking hell.

>DUDE THOSE SCENES MAKE US APPRECIATE TECHNOLOGY AND SHIT
A competent director would have directed those scenes in a way that doesn't put a hyperactive 5 year old to sleep. It's just shitty film making, no excuse.

>IT JUST DIDN'T HAVE ENOUGH LASER GUNS AND SJW PANDERING FOR YOU LIKING
Fuck off. Before Sunrise was litterally just two people walking around a city, talking and it wasn't boring for a second. You know why? BECAUSE IT HAD A COMPETENT DIRECTOR!

>DUDE BUT THE AENDING WAS PRETTY LSD TRIPPIN LMAO
So it's confirmed the drugs have destroyed your brains. 2001 fans are literally DUDE WEED LMAO tier
>>
I know you're baiting but it's probably the greatest technical achievement in filmmaking history.
>>
OP has been posting this exact same thread in various places since at least 1997.
>>
>>85247228
>You say that TFA is garbage,
too obvious imo
>>
>>85247276
But I wrote this last week.
>>
>>85247337
I would have had more respect for you if you said "yeah I've been autistically shitposting about 2001 for over 20 years". But instead you admit to being just a little babby with no imagination. Sad.
>>
>>85247381
Then show me the post I "made" in 1997.
>>
>>85247485
Mate, ever since internet access became widely available, every forum has had some shitheads posting bait threads about this film. Grow up.
>>
>>85247639
But this thread isn't bait.
>>
>>85247815
>same shit posted every day
What is it then, a cry for help? Are you ok? How is your sex life?
>>
>>85247847
>What is it then
A desperate attempt to stir up discussion.
>>
File: 1481977522256[1].jpg (26KB, 750x499px) Image search: [Google]
1481977522256[1].jpg
26KB, 750x499px
not even noticing the entire middle section was just filler

However bad the directing is, the "plot" is worse.
>>
i'll bite. legit got out my phone and turned it on during tfa to write down all the cliches. turned the brightness up too.
>>
File: aXE41qP_700b.jpg (78KB, 700x436px) Image search: [Google]
aXE41qP_700b.jpg
78KB, 700x436px
>>85247228
99% of people I met who don't appreciate 2001: a space odyssey were autistic teenagers who watched movies only because of the plot/action. Usually those are people easily amused by shallow plots, unnecessary plot twists and deus-ex machina plots, they would always complain that the movie is boring and has no point

The fact is people who don't appreciate this movie are too thickheaded too even understand it and always expect movies to have the same architecture
>introduction
>hook
>complications
>deus ex machina plot twist to explain everything
>10/10 would watch
>cinematography, photography, music, sound ? Who cares, it's all about the plot

Go and watch the movie again, if you still don't understand/appreciate it than go kill yourself you pleb
>>
>>85248688
If normal people are autistic teenagers to you.
>>
>>85247228
>DUDE SPERM RACE AND EVOLUTION ARE THE SAME THING LMAO
>>
Listen, folks - you wanna understand 2001? You have to be one of the // I N I T I A T E D //. Really, folks, without the keys to decrypt this film, you just won't understand it. Stanley Kubrick was an Adept, and this film was a message to other Adepts. Let me tell you, folks, when you know the meaning of this film, it will blow your mind.
>>
>>85248521
Could you post them?
>>
File: Capture.png (443KB, 806x358px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
443KB, 806x358px
For all the depth of 2001, I think 2010 had a more profound message that still resonates to this day
>>
>>85249154
t. autistic teenager
>>
>>85247228
>BUT DUDE LONG TAKES ARE FOR PATRICIANS
Nobody says this. What we say is that if you hate all long takes just because they're long, you're a pleb.
>A competent director would have directed those scenes in a way that doesn't put a hyperactive 5 year old to sleep. It's just shitty film making, no excuse.
It's great filmmaking. What you don't understand is that those scenes work for a lot of people. You're just not one of them. That's ok. Doesn't mean you're a pleb, necessarily. Just means it's not your cup of tea. I think those scenes are fucking awesome.
>>
>>85249341

t. Bill Cooper
>>
>>85249913
>I think those scenes are fucking awesome.
And you're wrong
>>
>>85247228
>it's just shitty film making
elaborate
>>
>>85247228
Stopped reading after the first line when you compared this movie with the garbage that is TFA. You're clearly either underage or a brainlet, which one is it?
>>
>>85251192
TFA was a masterpiece you nostalgic memelord.
>>
>>85251147
Read the rest of the sentence.
>>
>>85249205
Stop posting this in every thread you autistic faggot.
>>
>>85252026
Doesn't really explain why it's bad other than "wah I didn't like it, so it's bad"
>>
>>85248688
>Cinematography, sound design and scene composition just look and sound cool, and shouldn't be used to create visual metaphors that add layers to and help tell the story on some way
Is this movie like a magnet for second year film students who just got introduced to shot composition and want to seem well versed in film?
>>
>>85247228
>LONG TAKES ARE FOR PATRICIANS
I really want to see a movie that's all one take, Rope style, except with thousands of jump cuts to speed it up to Snyder-tier pacing. I hope it would make all the critics mad.
>>
>>85252904
>All one take
>With thousands of cuts
Jesus wept.
>>
>>85252988
Jump cuts, not just any cuts. Cut out a second or two every few seconds. It will still be obviously one take, only faster. It would be like Fury Road's frame skipping, except not horribly annoying.
>>
>>85253090
>It would be like Fury Road's frame skipping
They didn't "skip frames" they just film at a slower speed then playback at regular speed to make action look sped up.
>>
>>85253262
False. That would be what a non-retarded filmmaker would do. Fury Road, uniquely as far as I know, actually shot several sequences in normal speed and then dropped frames to speed it up. It looks like absolutely shit.
>>
>>85252400
>Is this movie like a magnet for second year film students who just got introduced to shot composition and want to seem well versed in film?
No.
>>
Yeah i've always said it was shit. Kubrick had a few short-films ideas and decided to use his name and influence to put all of them into a regular movie in order for hollywood to finance it.

he also had no idea how to end the movie so he decided to make it go over the top
>>
>>85247228
People that hate on this movie are usually incredibly boring people their favorite movie of all time is probably something stupid like saving private Ryan or starship troopers literal mouth breathers
>>
>>85249923
Impressed that you caught that reference, desu desu kawaii desu.
>>
>>85247228
> Favorably comparing Abrams to Kubrick
the absolute state of this board
>>
>>85253503
Fuck off, Steven Spielberg has said the film completely floored him, and still does. There is one quote from him where he allowed that he still doesn't fully understand it. George Lucas was in film school when 2001 was released, it humbled him, and HE doesn't claim to fully understand it. James Cameron said in an interview that 2001 revealed to him a whole new realm of what filmmaking was capable of doing. You can find expressions of awe about 2001 specifically, and Stanley Kubrick generally, from dozens of directors including guys like Francis Ford Coppola, Martin Scorsese, Ridley Scott, Francois Truffaut, Christopher Nolan, and even (IIRC) Frank Capra. You could also fill a small library with all the Ph.D. thesis papers that 2001 inspired.
>>
>>85253356
So first year? Got it.
>>
>>85254192
>So first year?
No.
>>
File: 1304459692304.jpg (48KB, 600x896px) Image search: [Google]
1304459692304.jpg
48KB, 600x896px
>>85247228
>You say that TFA is garbage, yet you praise this "movie"
>Being this obvious
They don't make shitposts like they used to I guess
>>
The first time I was watching this, I knew that many love it and many hate it. I wanted to hate it too, because of Kubrick and my dislike for Clockwork Orange.
Loved the long takes, loved the space scenes, loved the whole HAL issue.

Then came the 10min LSD trip and the awkward white room and the fetus and I was "WTF?!".

I kinda like the movie, but I hate the ending and all the drama when people tell others "It's a masterpiece, you didn't like it because you didn't understand it durr-hurr!"
>>
Everyone's saying 'you just don't understand it' or 'these smart people loved it!!!!' but they never say WHY it's good. They never explain just WHAT about the movie made them love it. Because they don't know. Whenever I watch a movie and love it I am eager to talk about it and say what I loved about it, or bring up my theories about it. But for some reason this principle does not apply to the admirers of this particular movie.
>>
>>85254904
Name five "good" movies and explain why they're good.
>>
>>85254904
>They never explain just WHAT about the movie made them love it.
It's one of the only movies that captures the feeling of awe and inspiration that you get reading a classic sci-fi novel.
>>
>>85254538
I'm not shitposting
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.