[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

why doesn't Sauron try harder to get the ring from Frodo?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: maxresdefault.jpg (47KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
47KB, 1280x720px
The Black Riders start off looking for "Baggins" in the "Shire," but do they know that this Baggins has the One Ring? By the time of the attack at Weathertop, surely they understand that, right? So then Arwen saves Frodo, and the Riders are washed down the river. Okay, fine, but at this point why doesn't Sauron put all his energy into finding and taking the Ring? He knows where it is, and surely his military forces can defeat the relatively smaller forces at Rivendell. Yes, I know that at Rivendell at this time are three of the most powerful "good" characters (Elrond, Gandalf, and Aragorn), and I understand that the logistics of moving a large army on short notice are problematic, but I can't imagine that Sauron really would just sit by, if he knew where the Ring was.

Then, as the Fellowship is traveling south, they are spied on (by birds), attacked (by orcs and wargs), turned back by a snowstorm on Caradhras, and finally attacked by orcs and the Balrog in Moria. But all these seem like half-measures. Were the orcs (in either case) sent by Sauron? Did they know the people they were attacking had the Ring? It sure seems not. Did the Balrog just happen to be there, or was he specifically sent to help capture the Ring? Why didn't Sauron have forces ready to grab the Ring, before or after the Fellowship's stay in Lorien?

If I recall correctly, between the Black Rider's temporary defeat near Rivendell, and Frodo leaving the Fellowship after Boromir's attack, Sauron does absolutely nothing to try to recover the Ring, Is that a fair interpretation of the book or the movie? If so, how can it be explained? Is it a defect in the plot, or am I missing something?
>>
>>85219062
Sauron isn't omnipotent. After the black riders got washed away at Rivendell it took them a long time to report back to him. Plus in the meantime, he was focusing on the various battles going on in the south.
>>
>>85219175
Or rather I should say omniscient. Also, the orcs in Moria were not part of the Mordor army. Pretty sure the orcs that killed Boromir were part of Saruman's forces.
>>
why does the almighty withcking of agmar literally have 2 min screentime and die?
>>
>>85219479
Saruman still answered to Sauron, at least in the films.
In the book it's clear he plans to turn on Sauron once he gets the ring
>>
>>85219479

Am I wrong in thinking Moria orcs/goblins don't like being out in the sunlight? That's one of the reason the Urukhs were groomed as the new fighting force.
>>
>>85219644
He's still double crossing Sauron in the movies too. I agree that could have been made more clear though.
>>
>>85219687
thats exactly what the book says. Sauruman's orcs can fight in the sun while Saurons can't
>>
>>85219062
>He knows where it is

He literally does not, only that a Hobbit carries it

>surely his military forces can defeat the relatively smaller forces at Rivendell

His forces are nowhere near Rivendell. Closest he has is Dol Guldur and that is occupied by a war with Mirkwood elves.

>they are spied on (by birds)
>attacked (by orcs and wargs)
>turned back by a snowstorm on Caradhras

All under Saruman's, not Sauron's control

>finally attacked by orcs

Goblins

>and Balrog

independant

>Did the Balrog just happen to be there, or was he specifically sent to help capture the Ring?

Read a wiki or something

>Why didn't Sauron have forces ready to grab the Ring, before or after the Fellowship's stay in Lorien?

Because you don't march into a forest full of elves.

>am I missing something?

A brain and understanding of Tolkien
>>
>>85220003
shiiiiiiiieeeet
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.