[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did so many Catholics write articles about how this show

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 3

File: detail.jpg (135KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
detail.jpg
135KB, 1280x720px
Why did so many Catholics write articles about how this show was anti-Catholic? Did they just not watch it? I finished it a few weeks ago, and I was trying to recommend it to my parents but my dad refuses to because of all the fucking articles about it.
>>
If you're a sincere Roman Catholic, it's pretty obviously anti-Catholic. If you're a cafeteria catholic I guess it's alright.
>>
The dialogue in the Young Pope was the fucking worse thing ever, holy fuck.
>>
>>85197323
Found the American
>>
>>85197272
Tell me, how was it anti-Catholic? Is ignoring institutional flaws what makes someone a sincere Roman Catholic? Because this show seemed rather optimistic with regards to religious belief and the Catholic church in general.
>>
the catholic identity is
>1/3 catholicism
>1/3 victim complex
>1/3 guilt

they're predictable, just ignore them
>>
>>85197323
I thought the dialog could be a little heavy handed at times, and had some awkward deliveries, but overall it was pretty good considering just how large a proportion of the cast didn't speak English as a first language.
>>
>>85197390
The issue here is they're my family. But I get what you're saying. Being raised in the Church I used to adopt that whole victim complex. Don't know how I managed to slip out of it, to be honest.
>>
>>85197353
I'm talking about the English dialogue you idiot
>Why do you hate tourists, holy father?
>*10 second pause*
>...Because they are just passing through
How do you defend this shit?
>>
>>85197605
That was early, awkward Lenny that tried to be Pope Coldsteel I
>>
>>85197389
>How is anti-clericalism, hypocritical priest, misunderstanding catholic theology and pro-homosexuality anti-catholic since all those things are objectively true anyway?
>>
>>85197632
Well, i only watched the first 2 episodes because the dialogue was so cringe inducing, does it get better?
>>
>>85197390
The Jewish identity is
>1/3 greed
>1/3 victim complex
>1/3 hatred for goy
Just gas them.
>>
>>85197644
wait what
have you watched it through to the end?
>>
>>85197644
>he watched the first 5 minutes
>>
>>85197664
It stays pretty on-the-nose, it is originally written in Italian, but all the characters drop their bullshit and have earnest moments where they don't try to be cool.
>>
ITT: Americans that watched the first episode

FUCKING AMERICANS
>>
>>85197644
>anti-clericalism
This one, I have no idea where you're getting this one from. If you actually watched the series it's not at all like that and is actually rather endorsing of priesthood
>hypocritical priest
Because all priests are saints or something? I mean, I don't know what exactly you're saying they're hypocritical about, but you know priests are human beings as well, right? They have flaws.
>misunderstanding catholic theology
Tell me one point where they do this
>pro-homosexuality
Maybe? They have a sympathetic homosexual character, but it's not exactly an endorsement of a homosexual lifestyle.
>>
>>85197818
Americans are Protestant
>>
>>85198090
There's Catholic Americans. About 20% are, or something like that. And I can attest to the fact that quite a lot in my community seem insistent on getting offended.
>>
>>85197239
I swear Catholics and Jews are so alike.
>>
>>85198146
Maybe not everyone wants to lie down and take shit like a cuck.
>>
>>85198388
Being a whiny bitch and crying that people don't share the same beliefs as you isn't fighting back.
>>
>>85198423
Tell that to centuries III - xviii. Believing that all believes are equally valid is inherently anti-christian, as it subjects truth to politeness.
>>
>>85198573
You would probably like The Young Pope.
>>
>>85198573
Additionally, I'm not saying all beliefs are equally valid. I'm saying that yelling persecution in the face of any challenge to your belief is pathetic and not how you're supposed to go about developing your beliefs. Adherence out of willful ignorance isn't really serving God, it's the exploration of philosophy and the debate on what your religion entails that builds a true follower.

I mean, at least if you follow schools like the Society of Jesus. Obviously there's probably some other fringe groups that *don't* encourage you to study and actually make sure you really believe in what you preach.
>>
Where are these articles?
>>
>>85198912
>'m saying that yelling persecution in the face of any challenge to your belief is pathetic
Who's arguing they should? An adult christian should at least have a basic grasping of apologetics, sure, but if the intent of the opponent is merely to demean the Church, or mock it, rather then actually engage in a debate, why not call them out on it. Its not like this doesn't happen with some regularity by the media.
>Adherence out of willful ignorance isn't really serving God, it's the exploration of philosophy and the debate on what your religion entails that builds a true follower.
Yes and no, I think. Pursuing Truth is good, and should be encouraged, but any theologian worth his salt would immediately put forth that, at least in Catholicism, the Mysteries of the faith itself cannot ever be fully understood. You understand them better, perhaps, but this boon is rightly tempered with the humility in understanding at some point God is fundamentally not understandable to the living and has to be approached with faith.
>>
>>85199173
>You understand them better, perhaps, but this boon is rightly tempered with the humility in understanding at some point God is fundamentally not understandable to the living and has to be approached with faith.

But this allows pluralism of belief as it is. By admitting that you can't understand God completely, that gives a point of entry for conflict between beliefs as people disagree on what they do understand.
>>
>>85199304
>But this allows pluralism of belief as it is. By admitting that you can't understand God completely, that gives a point of entry for conflict between beliefs as people disagree on what they do understand
How? The concession that Truth is ultimately not 100% knowable does not also conceded that there must exist multiple versions of it. Moreover, I was specifically speaking of Mysteries, which by their vary nature cannot be fully understood. A framework of understanding has been set out, as the early heresies of Arianism, modalism, etc. attest, an framework believed at least by Catholics to be divinely inspired. Contradicting this is heresy, and believing one has "figured it out" is to also wrong, as it implies they are not fundamentally mysterious.

As for other stuff, Catholicism differs from protestant churches in that it believes in ecclesiastical authority.
>>
Didn't the entirety of Rome enjoy it because it wasn't about their religion it's just a well written character drama. I liked it.
>>
>>85197390
>guilt
NOTHING TO BE GUILTY ABOUT, CHILDREN ARE STATISTICALLY SAFER IN A CATHOLIC CHURCH THAN ANY OTHER INSTITUTION. 90% OF 'PEDOPHILE' PRIESTS WERE JUST GARDEN VARIETY HOMOS DIDDLING POST-PUBESCENT ADOLESCENT MALES. 'PEDOPHILE PRIEST' PHENOMENA IS A LIE. DELET THIS.
>>
>>85197390
>>85197705
>>85198199
I feel like when Jews make Jew comedy (Sarah Silverman, Woody Allen) it's supposed to be this funny self-recognition but when there's analysis of Catholicism (TYP, Fellini) people like to think there's some sort of deep agenda there. Do actual Jews get pissy over Sarah Silverman?

t. Catholic who loves the shit out of Fellini
>>
>>85197239
>portray all priests and nuns as cowards
>why did they dislike it?
>>
>>85197239
Americans unable to understand subtle eurokino. /thread
>>
>>85199956
>he doesn't practice flagellation

You're a fucking Protestant and you should be burned at the stake.
>>
Fuck the plebs, Young Pope is the best HBO show ever made

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85HV-8I5Dbg
>>
>>85201621
Continuing to post on /tv/ should be considered a form of mental/spiritual self-flagellation. By not leaving this place I'm inflicting more harm on myself than I ever could by tearing my flesh.
>>
>>85197239
>finally get mainstream tv hinting at the gay mafia and how it relates to the pedophile problem that's usually associated with the entire institution
>hate it
I don't get it.
>>
>>85197664
>does it get better?
it's the best series of 2016
>>
>>85197239
The show tried to have it's cake and eat it too.

Lenny was super conservative, shitted all over Pope Francis, and yet the last couple of episodes had him turn out to be OK with a gay man as his second in command and basically softening in a lot of his hardcore beliefs.

So yeah, there was a lot going on that if you were a Catholic, you might see something that would anger you depending on whether or not you are conservative or liberal.
>>
>>85202687
>Lenny was super conservative, shitted all over Pope Francis, and yet the last couple of episodes had him turn out to be OK with a gay man as his second in command and basically softening in a lot of his hardcore beliefs.
early Lenny was harsh, Old Testament God because of his rejection by parents, later Lenny was forgiving New Testament God because he finally came to terms with it
>>
>oppose jews and their schemes
>but not the biggest kike brainwashing ever taken out, the (((Abraham)))ic religions
>>
>>85197239
>Show goes against homos and sick fucks in the Church
>Vatican " OMG THIS SHOW IS ANTI-CATHOLIC, STOP THIS CHRISTPHOBIA PLS"
Really gets your nogs noggin
>>
I found his accent distracting at times.
>>
>>85203370
but the vatican didn't say anything about the show
>>
>>85203441
Catholic priests and catholic media has money from who?
They've been commenting about what?

A show about the Pope removing faggots and sick fucks from the Church? They're offended? lmao
>>
>>85198573
Why do 21st century western adults believe in sandnigger fairy tales that were created by people who whiped their asses with their hands?
>>
File: 1469400713001.jpg (465KB, 1784x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1469400713001.jpg
465KB, 1784x1024px
Is there a church which doesn't take the bible fucking literally, isn't so concerned about earthy opulence and luster, offers sane guidance on how to live your life?
>>
>>85199173
> but this boon is rightly tempered with the humility in understanding at some point God is fundamentally not understandable to the living and has to be approached with faith.
How do mentally ill religious people reconcile that nonsense with the fact that scientific advancement literally never ends? The argument that "well we just don't know for sure so just keep donating to the church while we fuck your kids" died with the enlightenment
>>
>>85197605
What's wrong with that though? Sounds okay. Vatican is 80% tourists who don't care at all about the Church. It is a problem in a very literal way.
>>
>>85199651
>>85199651
>nobody knows the truth so please just donate to my specific version of sandnigger fables
XD
>>
>>85203550
The church of not being a fucking moron and using good judgement
>>
>>85197390
atheist identity is
>1/3 nihilism
>1/3 racial/class/gender victim complex
>1/3 racial/class/gender guilt

Guess we're not that different after all.
>>
File: 110530.png (219KB, 607x387px) Image search: [Google]
110530.png
219KB, 607x387px
Definitely an all time top 3 series for me.

Strangely emotional.
>>
Why are modern catholics so cucked? Especially in regards to the Jewish question
>>
>>85198943
this
>>
Catholics have been experts at being assmad for centuries, nothing new
>>
>>85204539
Vatican Council II
>>
>>85197605
I took it as a commentary on the believers's attitude in general. How they behave like tourists in their faith, just passing through, without really trying to follow Christ's teachings.
>>
>>85204901
He hated them because unlike him they could go away meanwhile he was stuck there. He was jealous of their freedom.
>>
>>85204539
>Why are modern catholics so cucked? Especially in regards to the Jewish question

because the vatican is ran by jews. look at every time theres any issue with jews and catholics will be the first on there side and sucking jew dick

Catholicism is a jewish invention
>>
>>85197239
>the Pope is a meme rockstar that smokes and has a superficial grasp on theology when he is the vicar of Christ
>half the top cardinals and Vatican officials are either gay or feeble-spirited weaklings
>the series treats deeply problematic issues affecting the Church as though they are easily solvable

Gee, I wonder.
>>
>>85197644
>if you dont hate gays you aren't a real Catholic
Man Vatican II must have really pissed you off, huh?
>>
>>85204970
No, that would be Evangelicals.
>>
>>85203590
science never ends because it always eats itself. The Enlightenment is a joke.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKUKWTkf5vs
>>
The real reason it's anti catholic is that it shows what the Vatican and the pope would be like if God really existed
>>
Because it's the greatest plebfilter of the last 10 years. Every one who tries to talk shit about it somehow always ends up admitting he couldn't sit down for one fucking episode. God damn ADD Americans.
>>
>>85207235
>greatest pleb filter
>not Twin Peaks the Return
>>
>>85202813
You people will never understand this. New test God is merciful but mercy has nothing to do with living a degenerate lifestyle and getting an easy pass through life. Sodomy is a mortal sin, not washing your hands before you eat isn't. One of these things God finds abhorrent. Guess which?
>>
>>85197705
>only a third of goyim hatred

you know nuthin'
>>
>>85203550
Catholicism and orthodoxy. Only Protestantism subscribe to hardline biblical literalism.
>>
>>85203550
Catholics, Orthodox, and some main line Protestants like Methodists and such.
>>
>>85197239
Has there ever been a show like this but with jews instead of Catholics/Christians?

What it some christians made a show like this about Rabbis and shit
>>
>>85197239
Don't bother if your dad is a dinosaur.
Let him see it if he has the capacity to appreciate modern kino.
>>
>>85197239
Sorrentino is the cancer of Italian Cinema Industry. Stop liking this shit, stop recommend it, stop watching it, for god's sake.
>>
It was Catholic-kino. Anyone who tells you differently is either a pleb or a devil worshiper.
>>
>>85203550
>offers sane guidance on how to live your life
If you want this and don't believe that taking the bible literally satisfies this condition, then Christianity isn't for you. Maybe you can be a cafeteria Catholic who's okay with gay marriage, female priests, and abortion.
>>
>>85208439
wtf do you think the Catholic Church has been doing since the days of Constantine?
It's not the Pope of Rome causing any problems really, it's...da Jooooos! Ya that's it, da Joooos!!!
They can't come right out and tell you it's da Jooos though, you need to figure that out for yourself like a good Catholic!
>>
>>85207787
If you told a Catholic or Orthodox priest they didn't take the Bible literally, they would laugh in your face. All of them take the Bible literally. Protestants just double-down on taking the Bible seriously on a cultural level.
>>
>>85197239
Lenny accepts faggots at the end
>>
>>85205030
What the fuck does the Pope actually do beyond flying around the world giving speeches and kissing feet?
>>
>>85208439
Judaism isn't centralized, is the problem. Really, you can't make a show like this for other religions, Catholicism is the largest religion with a central leader. And other large religions with a central leader don't have the global cultural history and influence that Catholicism does.
>>
>>85211077
He never gives any hint that he accepts them actually practicing their homosexuality.
Thread posts: 85
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.