[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sugar

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 128
Thread images: 9

>nice store clerk tries to make friendly conversation
>sperg out, spilling spaghetti all over the floor

What WAS his fucking problem?
>>
>>85004206
he's unstable, i thought the purpose of this scene was to showcase that
>>
>>85004206
its all an elaborate ruse to only pay a quarter
>(((Chigurh)))
>>
>>85004206

He noticed his license plate, and was asking questions about where we was from. He's a potential witness. He was a possible threat to Sugar.
>>
>>85004206
he was annoyed that the guy assumed where he was from and was "in his business"

it's an interesting contrast with the trailer park "i cant give no infurmashun" lady. wonder why he didn't with threats there and just let it slide
>>
>>85004206
you married into it?
>>
>>85004422
Because the information laid out her rules and she didn't back down. I don't know if he respected that or anything, but he played within the structure that was created.

That old guy at the gas station was just some ballness innocent who created no structure so Chigur was allowed to go wild on him.
>>
>>85004422
I guess is difference between middle of nowhere and public place, iirc a toilet flushed in "infurmashun" scene
>>
>>85004529
>iirc a toilet flushed in "infurmashun" scene

This. Sugar noticed there were others in the area and so he couldn't risk fucking up that lady.
>>
>>85004529
>iirc a toilet flushed in "infurmashun" scene
It does. He looks over at it then leaves.
>>
>>85004529
good catch, probably wasnt feasible for him to get violent there

the whole 'shooting the bird on the bridge' scene shows he doesnt have any real qualms about killing innocent victims. got caught by that cop on purpose at the beginning just to see if he can get away, which you wouldnt expect from his personality
>>
>>85004585
>got caught by that cop on purpose at the beginning just to see if he can get away,
Was this in the book?
>>
Why did this guy start every sentence with "Well"?

Also, was he killed?
>>
>>85004651
yeah i might be bringing those details in.

in the movie they dont really show what precipitated it
>>
>>85004373
Then why didn't he kill the intern in the high-rise for being a witness to him splattering the banker guy?
>>
>>85004508
The only reason he didn't kill her was because he heard a toilet flush. He knew there was witnesses around.
>>
>>85004719
feel like he knew that guy was so scared shitless he wouldnt rat to the cops

the storekeeper guy would def opine to the cops about remembering a weird guy in from Dallas
>>
>>85004206
it has something to do with nihilism and the subjective value we prescribe to things
>>
>>85004747
>The only reason he didn't kill her was because he heard a toilet flush. He knew there was witnesses around.
Why wouldn't he just kill the witness then?
>>
>jamming self into others personal life
>friendly
Sure, bro. Its a power thing. A stranger demanding answers about your personal life is them solely trying to project power over you.

A cunt through and through.
>>
>"No Country for Old Men" is as good a film as the Coen brothers, Joel and Ethan, have ever made, and they made "Fargo." It involves elements of the thriller and the chase but is essentially a character study, an examination of how its people meet and deal with a man so bad, cruel and unfeeling that there is simply no comprehending him. Chigurh is so evil, he is almost funny sometimes. "He has his principles," says the bounty hunter, who has knowledge of him.

>Consider another scene in which the dialogue is as good as any you will hear this year. Chigurh enters a rundown gas station in the middle of wilderness and begins to play a word game with the old man (Gene Jones) behind the cash register, who becomes very nervous. It is clear they are talking about whether Chigurh will kill him. Chigurh has by no means made up his mind. Without explaining why, he asks the man to call the flip of a coin. Listen to what they say, how they say it, how they imply the stakes. Listen to their timing. You want to applaud the writing, which comes from the Coen brothers, out of McCarthy.
>>
>>85004478

if that's how you want to put it.
>>
i like the psychology of him losing all respect for the guy when he learns it's the wife's business
>>
WHERE DOES HE WORK?
>>
>>85004845
autism time
>>
>>85005016
There isn't any way to "put it." That's how it is...
>>
is it true that kai-yotes wont eat a mexican?
>>
>>85004206
>psychopath acts psychopathic
Chigurh dislikes small talk, he only speaks when he has a specific point to make. Thus he also hates others who don't speak succinctly. Despite being such an important character, he only has one fairly long dialogue exchange: the gas station encounter.
>>
what does woody harrelson's character mean when he says he counted the floors from the outside and that it's missing one
>>
>>85005310
some American buildings avoid putting in a 13th floor, this scene shows how perceptive but aloof Woody is.
>>
>>85004206
why didn't the eagles fly the money to anton?
>>
at what point would you stop looking for your 2 million dollars?
>>
I don't really get the storyline of this movie.

>Mexican drug deal gone bad
>Stephen Root hires Chigurh to get the money back
>Chirgurh kills 2 guys at the site (who did they work for)
>>
Why didn't the sheriff and the deputy ask the infurshmation lady about a guy hunting Llewellyn? They could've got that info easy peasy.
>>
>>85005310
Must be a more modern building that used the European system, that is G-1-2-3 instead of G-2-3-4
>>
>>85005509
What would she have told them?
>>
File: Hmmm.png (65KB, 199x292px) Image search: [Google]
Hmmm.png
65KB, 199x292px
>>85005509
>>85005544
Checked.
>He had a funny looking haircut, dark clothes.
And since he doesn't change his clothes they could get an APB out.
>>
>>85005544
What Sugar looked like.
>>
>>85005544
What did he look like? What was he asking you? Did you happen to notice what kind of car he was driving?
>>
>>85005574
put out an APB

>looking for a man who has recently drunk milk
>>
>>85005581
>What did he look like?
>Funny haircut, real dark clothes. Brown eyes
>>
>>85005509
>Why didn't the sheriff and the deputy ask the infurshmation lady about a guy hunting Llewellyn?
The sheriff was lazy as fuck. They should have talked to not only the lady but everyone else in the trailer park asking if they'd happen to notice Chigurh, what his car was, what direction he headed in, etc.

Instead that lazy ass just drank a glass milk.
>>
>>85004885
this is the best film of 2007, don't let there will be plebs and the assassination of a pretty good film by contrarians overhyping it convince you otherwise
>>
File: waiting at friends.jpg (171KB, 500x348px) Image search: [Google]
waiting at friends.jpg
171KB, 500x348px
>>85005574
thanks for checking mate
>funny haircut and dark clothes
That's 30% of Texas right there
>>85005575
>he was a hispanic man with a funny haircut
Maybe that would have been enough to go on, but the movie makes a point to show how fast Chirgurh moves.
>>85005581
>what was he asking you
They already knew he was after Llewelyn, and she didn't see his car.
>>85005626
OH SHIT SHERIFF, WE JUST MISSED HIM!
>>
A milk mustache is very distinctive. Im guessing they would have caught him in like 15min tops.
>>
>>85005279
he gas bags with lewellyns wife
>>
>>85005786
he also indulges woody's character for a bit
>>
>>85005786
She provided an interesting conversation that didn't really mince words. He speaks with purpose.
>>
>>85005721
>They already knew he was after Llewelyn, and she didn't see his car.
He was asking where Llewelyn worked. It would have given them another avenue to worry about. Also, they should have asked everyone in the trailer park what car he drove (if they saw him).
>>
He made me want to invest in a pneumatic hammer
>>
>>85005827
Pretty sure they already knew about workplace encounters (it's part of their job), and each scene in the trailer park only had the characters involved from what I remembered (empty).
>>
>>85005878
>nd each scene in the trailer park only had the characters involved from what I remembered
That's now detectives work. They knew Chigurgh was there breaking and entering. They would have knocked on every trailer park door (they live in a trailer park so you know someones home on a work day) and ask questions if they saw anything. This is police work 101.
>>
>>85005962
because ed tom doesnt really want to find him

he's afraid to confront something he doesnt understand
>>
>>85004719
because unpaid interns aren't people and thus aren't allowed to be witnesses
>>
>>85005962
who is to say they didn't do that, and the movie just cut out the more tedious police work?
>>
>>85004719
>hen why didn't he kill the intern
What? That guy was like 35 years old. He was from accounting. And why would an intern know that his boss hired another bounty hunter to recover the money from a failed Mexican drug deal?

AGUA?
>>
>>85004719

How do you know he didn't?
>>
>>85006049
>who is to say they didn't do that, and the movie just cut out the more tedious police work?
They could have had Ed Tom say to his deputy. "Talk to everyone here, I'll be back at the station if you find anything."
>>
>>85005230
for you
>>
>>85006113

Yeah, he better say that just to please your autism
>>
>>85006249
Without it it doesn't make much sense.

This like the 3rd explanation for the cops not talking to the lady and the people along with "Ed Tom doesn't want to find what he doesn't understand" and "LOL, What do they have to gain from asking questions!?"
>>
>>85006311
>Without it it doesn't make much sense.

It does make sense, you just have autism
>>
>>85006348
>lose argument
>use 4chan buzzwords

This is how I see it:
>cops looking for crazy murderer
>they go to a house and deduce that he was there only minutes before
>don't ask any questions
>le retarded viewers cry autism whenever someone points this out
>>
>>85006418
i dont think there's any point to getting into that much procedural detail

artistically they treat chigur as a "ghost" of sorts who comes and goes without leaving an impression
>>
>>85006441
>i dont think there's any point to getting into that much procedural detail
Going to Llewelyns trailer was procedural detail. Ed Tom talking to Llewelyns wife at the restaurant was procedural detail.
>>
>>85006510
but they arent claiming to show you 100% of it
>>
>>85006608
When does any movie/tv claim that? They show the relevant parts/dialog exchanges, etc.

Are you saying Ed Tom was more concerned with that guy who didn't have the cover properly on the back of his truck than tracking a murderer via a few simple questions?
>>
>>85006418
>>85006510

You have autism. Seek help.
>>
>>85006693
"herr derr autism, I showed him!"
>>
>>85006441
He's more like a tornado - an elemental force of destruction.

He'll plow through an area but leave a house (or person) completely undisturbed. But nevertheless if you are in his path you're going to lose.
>>
>>85004678
yes he was killed
>>
>>85006739

You are autistic
>>
>>85004241

it also added tension on how he may let some people live. If he absolutely killed everyone he crossed paths with, there is little element of surprise. The fact he lets some guy live, for a coin flip? That puts chance into scenes later.
>>
>>85006920
his internal code accounts for unbiased chance to play a part

which is why it's ironic he gets in that car accident at the end. he's not immune from it either
>>
>>85005310

There are a large number of references to numbers from 11-15 throughout the film. This is just one of them, as in America it implies that a thirteenth floor is missing. The level that they're on even look about right for a thirteenth floor.

The names in the film use the "EL", over and over again. "El" backwards can be construed to be "13", which is associated with bad luck, or the worst bad luck of all-death.

LLEwellen Moss.
Ed Tom BELL.
DEL Rio, Texas.
WendELL, deputy.
TerrELL county, Texas.
ELLis, uncle.
more ELL relative-names in ELLis' story.

For me, the significance of this is the simple fact that death comes for all, a major theme of the film. Notice how the most significant character to stand outside of this is Anton himself -because he represents Death itself.
>>
File: 1499927721688.png (204KB, 444x446px) Image search: [Google]
1499927721688.png
204KB, 444x446px
>>85007008
Only someone VERY autistic could find this,thanks anon one of my favorite movies and id never noticed this
>>
>>85007247

I can elaborate on my "11-15" theory if you'd like. :^) I have done so many times on this board and when an anon is interested, I like to re-hash it.
>>
>>85007510
Post it. I need a refresher from all these shitty troll threads that are up now. Give me that white hot film discussion.
>>
>>85004373
>this guy might call the cops if he finds me suspicious
>better threaten him and his wife
>>
>>85004678
>why did he start every sentence with "well"
he was Texan
>>
>>85004422
You can hear a toilet flush after she refuses to give him information. You can also see that he reacts slightly to the noise. This is a detail also in the book so it would seem that he doesn't use violence here because he knows someone else is close by.
>>
>>85004585
The scene with the bird also seemed to be a callback to Judge Holden from blood meredian. The Judge is very similar to Chigur and at one point states that anything that exists without his knowledge exists without his consent. Latter the judge says that the freedom of birds is an insult to him, the implication being that he hates birds since they remind him that he is just as limmeted as any other human. It is worth noting that Chigur misses the bird.
>>
>>85007563

The basic idea is that the number range from about 11-15 is an important storytelling element in No Country for Old Men. These numbers appear often enough, in thinking about the film, watching it, understanding it, that it is clear that their use as an artistic device is no accident. Now, some of my numerology does "reach" a bit, but in other cases it will be clear to most that these number choices really are "on purpose" and are intended as integral parts of the storytelling.

You've already had my "13 in the names meaning death" idea. Add to this that the crime scene toward the end has roped-off the motel rooms 114/112, the suggestion being that (1)13, an ambiguity, is somewhere in between. Is Anton really there? Who did kill Llewellyn? At any rate, death is present. The anonymous, cheap motel rooms are themselves a rhythmic device in the story as well, with various characters going-to-ground in them.

Now think about the basic arc of the plot, and put numbers to it. What is discovered, early on? /Approximately one dozen dead bodies/. How many people are killed over the course of the film? /Approximately one dozen/ (though it is easy to argue that a few more must have been killed, though there is ambiguity over certain of Anton's victims). The initial fracas? Five trashed vehicles, and a dead doge. Over the course of hte rest of the film? Five or so vehicles get trashed again, and a dog is killed.

The violence has just been /doubled/. And the point of this is that violence begets violence, especially in this place. Same old shit only this time we're in on the carnage, and not just finding the aftermath.

In the opening scene, eleven still-ish shots, while Ed Tom gives an intro to make your eyes glaze over, eventually gives way to a twelfth, where the action begins - a moment later, Anton makes the first killing of the film. But what did Ed Tom drawl just a moment ago? "Be there in about 15 minutes", a reference to an impending death.
>>
>>85004206
what's this movie called? is it there will be blood or no country for old men? i feel like both could be either. i can never remember.
>>
>>85007986
No country
>>
>>85007957
That's excellent.
>>
>>85004373

That's the problem this scene brings up. What's friendly smallchat to the small town clerk is a devious interrogation to the modern nihilist. Anton cannot imagine why anyone would ask those questions if they weren't trying to expose him. Because he is so closed off from the light of the world he fears exposure more than anything. He lives only in the darkness, and he laughs at the innocent men who naively trust his word and let him kill them. He laughs at the word. He laughs at meaning itself, because he is a coward who cannot bear the thought of the light.
>>
The clerk was condescending and his politeness was fake. The killer was right here.
>>
>>85008219

Something more on this, this is where I get a bit more reach-y.

"eleven" is important to all this. The eleven establishing shots. The initial pile of bodies, pretty much. The "11" starting the numbers of these anonymous motel rooms in which we always find ourselves.

The famous coin scene invokes 1958, 1980, and their difference, which is 22, or twice eleven. Anton is "gearing up" to kill in this scene. Ooh, portentious. The 22 may be read as the impending "doubling" of the body count which I referred to above, which Anton carries out with dispatch, just sparing this man toward its front end.

Something else: The Coens are Jewish, and the hebrew alphabet has 22 letters, and has its own specific numerology known as gematria. I don't want to read in any further at this point except to say that jews and jewish culture do historically have this autistic numerology going on, so I don't think it a stretch to think that the Coens just used these numbers as a framing device for their version of the story-due to their specific Jewish culture. After all, the very Jewish A Serious Man came out a bit later IIRC.

Back on the 1980-1958=22 (life) of the coin scene. There's a flip side to this coin, which no one else ever catches or talks about. When the mother in law dies toward the end, we get a clear medium shot of her headstone:

"AGNES KRACIK 1922-1980".

Now, whatever you make of these dates, I defy anyone to insist that it has no connection with the numbers rattled off during the coin scene. For me, this is a simple reversal again, in this case? Death.
>>
>>85006079
This. I always assumed that he did.

>"That depends. Can you see me?"
>he obviously , and did
>>
>>85006974
I took that car crash as an indication that Llewellyn's woman blew apart his fragile little world view in their conversation. I'm not even sure he killed her because she was weirding him out so much.
>>
>>85009457
He clearly kills her, because he checks his boots when he leaves the house. He also didn't give a fuck about her death, because the accident was the cause of someone else ignoring a stop sign.
>>
>>85006920
If he killed everyone who crossed his path he'd be a typical villain. He kills people for no reason and this displaces the traditional hero, i.e. there's no longer a place in the world for the classic bad ass because the classic villain no longer works thanks to postmodernism.
>>
>>85009535

It doesn't matter if he kills her. We don't see it happen. The killing itself loses its potence, and her last defiant words remain resonating in our mind. 'It's just you.' She puts him off his game. Mr 'there's no meaning' forgets to look both ways before crossing. Why? Because he sees a green light. I'm not saying it's dumb for a normal person to do tbis. I'm saying it's entirely out of character for Chigurh. 'Green' only means go to people who obey the law. You only trust a green light because of your vague faith in the choices of other drivers. You trust that they will follow this rule. Woops. Looks like the predator who always knows how to manipulate and control lost his senses. He behaved like the obedient cattle he despises. And he gets his humiliation.
>>
>>85010714
if you're going 20-30mph you wouldnt have enough time to stop even if you were autistically trying to look both ways before the intersection
>>
>>85010714

He definitely kills her. There would be no reason for him to check the bottom of his boots if he didn't.
>he gets his humiliation.
No, he can't be humiliated because he doesn't care about anything
>forgets to look both ways before crossing
No he didn't, looking both ways at a green light isn't a thing.

He got t-boned because he's a subject to the same random, meaningless fate as everyone else. He's just fate personified
>>
>>85010828

Chigurh ordinarily would have had the situational awareness to notice large incoming vehicles. But he wasn't thinking like he usually could. He was distracted, and he blindly trusted the light.
>>
>>85010997
You're retarded, he's not fucking Obi-wan/spider-man, he's an actual, non-infallible person. The point of the crash is to pound home the film's realism.
>>
File: 892739847239847.jpg (4KB, 272x199px) Image search: [Google]
892739847239847.jpg
4KB, 272x199px
is it bad that I really want to fuck him.
>>
the wife's accent was so QT
>>
File: flat,800x800,075,f.u1.jpg (124KB, 800x601px) Image search: [Google]
flat,800x800,075,f.u1.jpg
124KB, 800x601px
>>85004335
extremely underrated post
>>
>>85004206
Whats this hair called?
>>
>>85011503
Malicious Compliance
>>
>>85004206
>sugar
FUCK OFF /p/
>>
>>85010997
>>85011389

M-maybe you're both right? Chigurh obviously has a lot of regard for the situation around him, that's why he's such an effective killer.

But his interaction with Carla Jean (?) threw him off his game. Being forced to willingly pull the trigger on someone who stands outside the scope of his mission corrupted his principles and occupied his mind at the time of the crash.
>>
>>85011625
i dont think it's the first time he's encountered someone who 'refused to call it'

everyone tries to worm their way out of it. i dont think he's phased by her trying to opt out of the game
>>
>>85011603
>/p/
???
>>
>>85011976
Secret board - patricians only
>>
>>85012045
I know what /p/ is I just didn't get the connection
>>
>>85004719
>>85004758
>>85006022
>>85006067
>are you going to kill me ?
>depends... can you see me ?

Of course he's dead.
>>
>>85011503
the sugar
>>
I just got finished watching this and realized that the chubby kid at the end who keeps going "YOU GOT A BONE STICKIN OUT MISTER" was Caleb Landry Jones.
>>
>>85006818

That's the older folks version of being retarded and autistic and saying "ummm" "like" "i mean"
>>
>>85007510

gimme the quick run down
>>
>end of your life guy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nhhH-9sttI
>>
>>85016939

this is great. rip patrice
>>
>>85004719
He did kill him.
>>
>>85004845
>A stranger demanding answers about your personal life is them solely trying to project power over you.
you should save that for next week's therapy session there's a lot to unwrap there m8
>>
>>85017835

kind of true tho desu
>>
>>85005310
its a joke.
lots of buildings dont label a 13th floor (bad luck or some shit) so in the elevator it reads 11, 12 , 14 ,15.
or you can believe the story with just a touch of 'tism
>>85007008
>>
>>85018893
It really isn't though. It's the kind of worldview that sociopaths project onto others to justify their own malignancy to themselves. When you interact with strangers, are you doing that "solely to project power over them?"
>>
>>85004823
Because he was in a hurry and didn't have his weapons on him.
>>
>>85004845
If you define a casual conversation as "demanding answers about your personal life" then you're probably a basement dweller who's never had any kind of public interaction. Jesus Christ, are people really this naive and sheltered?
>>
>>85007008
I think I've finally found real autism
>>
>>85005574
>>85005654
>>85005581
This reminds me of that scene in Desperado where the Colombians send Danny Trejo to check over the Mexican operations and Bucho is on the phone with one of them trying to figure out what the guy looks like.
>Dark hair, dark skin? Yeah, I figured that much.
It gets even funnier when they're detailing everything Trejo has on him and Bucho's henchman are pointing out his tattoos and shit. Fucking love that film.
>>
>>85022116
That's pretty funny, Rodriguez is great
>>
>>85021868
Dude was nosy and prying, these are not endearing qualities in people.
>>
>>85011503
the berries and cream
Thread posts: 128
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.