[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

DUDE EXPOSITION LMAO

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_3011.jpg (577KB, 1280x1895px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3011.jpg
577KB, 1280x1895px
DUDE EXPOSITION LMAO
>>
>>84992927
This movie is actually extremely aggravating to watch. JGL and his big man voice is fucking annoying.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p162TQ6NTc0
>>
Time is a shit song
>>
The exposition just never stops. It never fucking stops. There's no point reached where the movie is just allowed to breath; where the audience can just enjoy what's happening. Right up to the end Nolan is still explaining shit. It's this kind of autism in his work that makes the performances and attempts at emotion in his movies feel so stilted. It's impossible for an interaction between two of his characters to ever seem organic when he's so determined to lecture the audience at all times whilst always adhering to his breakneck pacing.
>>
>you now remember Ellen Page
>>
The fucking top wasnt even his totem. It's obvious he was awake
>>
>>84992927

>Unironically watching ITV

Neck yourself
>>
>>84993423
Considering he was using the totem throughout the movie, does it not suggest he was dreaming the entire time?
>>
>>84993514
It's all I've done today. Prisoner of Azkaban was on earlier as well.
>>
>>84993514
who said I was doing it unironically?
>>
>>84993423
>>84993576
IT DOESN'T MATTER IS IT A DREAM OR NOT
>>
>>84993664
>movie spends it's entire run-time explaining the rules and logistics of dreams and dreams within dreams and waking up from dreams
>"n-none of the logistics matter, it doesn't matter if he was in a dream LMAO"

You could say this about someone like Lynch - who would have made Inception a good and interesting movie. But Nolan very clearly planned every intricate detail about the movie. So it will be judged in the same way.
>>
>>84993856
I never said the logistics of the film don't matter, I said it doesn't matter if the whole film is a dream or reality.
Tell me what changes if you know if everything was a dream or not? What knowledge do you get out of that fact?

You people care only about the simple narrative and plot point closures.
In the final scene Cobb spins the totem but he doesn't even look at it because he doesn't care, he just wants to be with his kids no matter is it real or not.
It's always the same unimportant questions, "who is the shooter" in The Hunt, "who sent the tapes" in Cache, "was it waterboarding or rape" in Sicario etc. If you asked any director these kind of questions they would be disappointed.

Movies aren't puzzles which you have to put together in a certain kind of way to "get" them, that would be pretty shallow. Focus on why is something shown in that way rather than what it is.
>>
>make a movie about dreams with endless possibilities of what they look like and how you present them
>a great chance to explore surrealism and a huge challenge of putting those ideas on screen in a physical sense
>Nolan's imagination is limited to: a city, a rainy city, a snowy base, a decrepit city

BRAVO
>>
>>84994676
The whole point of the film was that it needed to be as real as possible. What did you want, alien worlds dragons and melted clocks?
>>
>>84992927
Exposition is all nolan knows that and male characters having a dead wife. There was even 2 dead wives in the shitstiege
>>
>>84994864
The whole point of the film was that it could have been whatever Nolan wanted it to be. He conjured up his own autistic rules for a topic with endless opportunities for invention.
>>
the movie spends so much time explaining how the stupid dreams logic that it forgets it's supposed to be a movie. it's the best example i can think of for a movie that is pointless to rewatch.
>>
It is the only Nolan film where the exposition doesn't bother me because it's tied into the narrative. It's a heist film and heist films always have exposition.
>>
>>84994980

It was exactly what he wanted it to be. What you're doing now is trying to give shit Nolan for following the internal logic he set out for his own movie and you're arguing that he should have done something else instead. Then it wouldn't have been his film, now would it?
>>
Is Michael Caine in Dunkirk as well?
>>
>>84992927
Nolan handles exposition well. In Inception he included Ellen Page's character whose entire purpose was to ask questions the audience normally would. This is a fine way to go about exposition as long as it is handled well because it makes within the film. If you want to see how a shit director handles exposition look at Fight Club and David Fincher's work in general.
>>
>>84996030
Nope.
>>
>>84995322
>>84996135
t. Nolan
>>
File: 1482023852776.png (156KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
1482023852776.png
156KB, 600x800px
>ITT: edgy contrarians
>>
>>84996135
>In Inception he included Ellen Page's character whose entire purpose was to ask questions the audience normally would

This is not handling exposition well, anon. It was contrived as fuck. Inventing characters solely to ask questions and get answers is tiremsome and shit writing.
>>
They call it inception because if the film had a head and an ass, its head would be up its ass.

>OOOOH I've got it!! we'll call it ...THE KICK

HEEE HEEE HEEEEHEHEHEEHEEHEE
>>
>>84994864
>The whole point of the film was that it needed to be as real as possible
Only because Nolan is completely unimaginative
>>
>>84996135
>Nolan handles exposition well
>In Inception he included Ellen Page's character whose entire purpose was to ask questions the audience normally would
Anon...
>>
>>84992983
>JGL and his big man voice is fucking annoying.
Jesus it's so off putting and this is the first time I've ever heard someone bring it up other than myself.
>>
total recall had a more interesting plot and ending
>>
>>84994255
good post
>>
>>84993514
I'm watching Heat on Dave
>>
>>84994255
Fucking this. I don't even like Inception that much but this line of thinking should be applied to every fucking film.
>>84994864
>The whole point of the film was that it needed to be as real as possible
Dreams feel real while we're in them. The majority of the time we don't think anything about why we're in China watching a movie in the back of a bar because the bar has a movie theater and there are dancing flamingos in the aisles. We take them at face value. The film really lacked any visual flare dreams are known for.
>>
>>84994255
"it's bad to care about mystery"

shut up dumbass
>>
>>84994255
the problem is there's nothing else than this unimportant question in the end. the film just feels empty
>>
>>84997262
Did you watch Birdman thinking "wait so he really does have powers?" at the end?
>>
>>84997262
You're retarded
>>
>>84992927
I hate mentioning that I don't like this film IRL. Never doing that again
>>
Everyone looked bored out of their minds in Inception.
>>
File: WELL CONGRATULATION.jpg (52KB, 854x468px) Image search: [Google]
WELL CONGRATULATION.jpg
52KB, 854x468px
>>84992927
>Expositions
DUDE EXPOSITION LMAO

>No expositions
DUDE IT'S MAGIC I AIN'T GOTTA EXPLAIN SHIT LMAO
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.