[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Film editing tips

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_5507.jpg (1MB, 2013x1440px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5507.jpg
1MB, 2013x1440px
I've been thinking of getting into video editing. I'm about to get a new computer to do it but I'm more so unsure about what program to use and whether to buy it or not. I'd also like what your guy's tips for finding the rythym and knowing when to cut? Or what I should try editing to build my portfolio and experience? Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>>84902626
I use filmora for my youtube channel. It's a pretty shitty $50 Chinese editor but it gets the job done. Just pirate Vegas or something if you want something legit
>>
Watch films you enjoy and observe how the editors cut for starters. Editing and cutting are as much an artistic choice as a technical set of rules. Many times I have to play around with a cut to get a certain "feel". The basics, like cutting on action, etc. can be read about in any film making 101 book, but it's really about the feel you are trying to convey. If the cut isn't working, you will know it right away.
>>
>>84902652
I downloaded hitfilm but my laptop is too shitty to run it. I'll check out the Chinese one you got.
>>
editing might seem like a boring exercise on the surface, but it's hella fun.. you are literally god and can push the film in any direction you want.
>>
>>84902707
There's a free trial you can get. It's a great entry-level editor
>>
Depends on what you're looking to achieve

If you're look to do it more as a hobby, youtube, or even as a job at a random company Adobe Premiere is great

If you're aim is to break into the industry, start learning Vegas now because that's all those old fucks like to use
>>
>>84902691
Thanks man I'll start doing that!
>>
>>84902720
I feel like I'll be less bored but more scared of not getting good at editing in general. Overall any part of the film process I've worked on has been fun except writing.
>>
>>84902808
I'm looking to break into the industry but more as a director. I think I'll try going with vegas anyways just in case.
>>
Layering; meaning keep the flow going at all times.
No straight chops. Something always has to carry over to the next cut.
Like blending in painting. Carry over the audio or video.

I feel like when someone didn't notice your edit, you've done it right.
>>
Best book on editing I ever read was "in the link of an eye". Mostly a dry read about when cuts should occur, and its effect on rhythm.

It's a good start, I pirated vegas 10+ years ago and have been editing ever since. Don't be above trying fanedit style projects, take out a scene/shot/line of dialogue to turn the whole film around.
>>
>>84905678
In the blink of an eye*
>>
>>84903050
The best advice in this situation is to make a film.

No excuse these days with how cheap cameras are.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.