[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is film school worth it?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

File: 1498915157994.jpg (46KB, 476x462px) Image search: [Google]
1498915157994.jpg
46KB, 476x462px
Is film school worth it?
>>
>>84886736
>I didn't go to ____ school. I went to ______.
>>
On the off chance this isn't a troll...

OH FUCK NO!
>>
>>84886736
No.

Spend your money and time making stuff
>>
if the money doesn't matter, yes
otherwise spend the money on equipment
>>
yeah, you get to watch films all day under the pretense that you're learning something and are working towards a degree.

it'll be the best 4 years a neet with rich parents can have
>>
>>84886736

If you want to find likeminded people to collaborate with. You get out of it what you put into it. Nobody will hand you anything. It's hard work.
>>
>>84886736
No,most people going there already have industry connection everyone else is a dumbass.
>>
>>84886736
People who like pineapple on their pizza are pond scum.
>>
File: 1499411211297.png (300KB, 298x508px) Image search: [Google]
1499411211297.png
300KB, 298x508px
>>84886736
I just finished my second year at film school. Everyone on my course is so far up their own arses its unbelievable.
>>
>>84887043
dont worry bud it only gets worse
>>
>>84886736

Find a school that teaches the technical aspects like editing, and operating a camera rather than one that teaches abstract faggy shit.
>>
>>84887043

What school nigga.
>>
>>84886736
Depends on what you do with it.

If you're going just to "learn" about filmmaking then you are wasting money, the only valid argument for film school is access to expensive film equipment and connections. It's all about the connections.
>>
File: jonah-hill.jpg (39KB, 622x420px) Image search: [Google]
jonah-hill.jpg
39KB, 622x420px
>>84887138
>and connections. It's all about the connections.

I didn't go to film school, I went to temple.
>>
>>84886736
Depends on what do you want to get out of it
I guarantee you 90% of the retards here who say "just go to film" have never went to film school OR film.
>>
>>84886736
It's worth it if you want to make people who you will hate filthy rich

Any sort of art school will be niche so they will charge up the ass with low quality education
>>
>>84886736
Film school is bottom tier of all art schools
>>
>>84887043
How so?
>>
>>84886736
If you have the money to go to film school, go to film school. You probably won't be making friends as much as you will be making "allies" for the future. I don't think it's a bad idea to pursue it.

If you want to do something cheaper -- I'd suggest either finding a liberal arts school that has interesting classes and an LA campus or a study abroad in LA program, or a just go to a school in LA and to a part time internship.

Buying equipment is not worth your money past a certain point. People like to say buy equipment and don't go to school, do that if you want to be a gaffer. Don't sink thousands and thousands of dollars into equipment that's just going to get steamrolled next year. Schools have equipment. Even liberal arts schools with communications programs have enough equipment to get by.
>>
>>84886736

Like any degree. you aren't guaranteed work just because you walk with a piece of paper. You need to network and make connections...

The real rub is that you're pursuing a career in a field with one of the lowest chances for success and you effort will need to be triple what it would elsewhere...

That still may not even be enough. Talent and, moreso, opportunity and connections are what you really need.
>>
>>84890934
I should stipulate this with: get an internship with a reputable company or person.
>>
File: 1411186579166.jpg (38KB, 945x835px) Image search: [Google]
1411186579166.jpg
38KB, 945x835px
>>84886736
I'm about to finish next month after 4 years. Was fun. Didn't watch as many movies as I wanted to (20s cinema is fucking lit though), fucked some things up, did some things I'm proud of. If you're 99% certain that this is your passion then go for it.
>>
>>84888642
I think they've probably went to films anon, come on now.
>>
>>84891348
another worthless future democrat voter
>wahhh my worthless degree hasn't gotten me a job i deserve free money
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.