[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Batman Director Explains How He Pitches a ‘Certain Vision’

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 122
Thread images: 10

>When I come in, what I say is, “Look. First of all, you’re asking me if I’m interested in this franchise. I am. I love this franchise. I’ve loved it since I was a kid. But here’s the way in which I’m interested in it. And if you’re not interested in it in that way, then that’s totally fine.” And the good news was, they said, “Yeah, we’re really interested in that way.” And I remember this on Dawn, too. There would be moments where I came in for a pitch that was a certain version of the movie, and somewhere along the way, because they didn’t know me or whatever it was, they’d say, “Why don’t we do this?” And I would just simply say, “But that’s not the movie that we talked about. That’s not the movie I want to do.” And I have to say that they always backed down when it came down to that. And it’s kind of the way that I’ve always done it. And here’s the thing: I’m always happy not to do something. I’m usually looking for the reason to say no.

Are we ready for the Batman movie we finally deserve?

Based Reeves bringing the heat
>>
Why are DC directors so ballsy compared to Marvel?
>>
I guarantee you wb will do something to fuck it up
everyone is against benny boy
>>
Yea just like Captain America is a "political thriller" and Ant Man is a "heist film" and Doctor Strange is "psychedelic" and Spider-Man is a "John Hughes teen drama"

Capeshit is capeshit.
>>
battits
>>
>>84884549
That's just Marvelshit though. The last time Marvel had an actual director was IM1 in 08.
>>
>>84884389

Reeves is literally a tv director tho
>>
>>84884462

because DC is desperate. There's always some yes-man waiting in the hall to direct the next marvel movie when a good director drops out. DC are still trying to figure out their model, whilst Marvel operates like a TV show with directors being more like guest directors on a TV show than how they usually operate on movies.
>>
>>84884816
How is letting a director do his job desperate? Sounds more like Marvel is desperate by putting zero creative effort into their films.
>>
>>84884909
oh i agree, i'm just saying in the grand modern scheme of franchise movie making, the director is a yes man, but DC, desperate for a hit, to get a machine running as efficiently as marvel have, opt for 'you tell us' men. Which IS what I believe a director ought to be, it should just be understood that in this case it's being made it seems out of necessity rather than any great reverence for what a director BRINGS to a project.
>>
>>84884462
Money isn't a factor
>>
>>84884624
For you
>>
>>84885072
But Wonder Woman has already got a machine running.
>>
>>84884909
>How is letting a director do his job desperate?
Because WB doesn't know wtf they're doing with the DC movies.

This is why Wonder Woman was amazing, but Man of Steel and BvS is melodramatic shit and Sinister Squad was a Frankenstein of loosely thrown together scenes. Because they're just taking shots in the fucking dark to get something good.
>>
>>84885310
>melodramatic shit
For the last time, stop using words you don't understand Sanjeev. Google Translate isn't perfect.
>>
>>84884595
>The last time Marvel had an actual director was IM1 in 08.
I don't even like Gunn but he's a director with his own voice, and it shows in GOTG.
>>
>>84885370
MoS and BvS are full of shitty melodrama though.
>>
>>84885494
Explain to me how MoS is melodramatic.
>>
>>84885370
LIke ddossing?
>>
>>84884389
Fuck yes.
>>
>>84884389
Bvs was shit though lol
>>
>>84885072
>DC is desperate for a hit,
But they already got one.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2017/07/12/box-office-wonder-woman-soars-past-750-million-worldwide/#27e715862ceb
>>
>>84885518
STOP INVINCIBLE SON
>>
>>84884462
Because the marketing department told them to tell that story.
>>
>>84885655
That's drama not melodrama. Just as expected, the illiterate ousts himself.
>>
>>84885644
They have 4 hugely profitable films. All this concern trolling from marvelfags is pretty funny though.
>>
I love this song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIKajSQ9DB0
>>
>>84884389
I fear that Snyder Justice league will be weak and kill the hype for Aquaman and Batman.
>>
>>84885655
Superman going through the pathos of not being able to stop his heart attack would be even worse, and from a story-telling perspective, it doesn't even really teach the character anything. It reminds the *audience* that he's not a god, not him.

From that perspective, a heart attack death is truly empty, because a man who can literally hear the heartbeats of people in the next county would have been living with the reality and inevitability of death his entire life.
>>
I hope his vision is a standalone Batman with no DC Universe crap

Ffs, the cast is there and all, Affleck, Irons and JK to have a great solo Batman
>>
>>84885787
>From that perspective, a heart attack death is truly empty, because a man who can literally hear the heartbeats of people in the next county would have been living with the reality and inevitability of death his entire life.

Superman returns explored this idea way better.
>>
>>84884595
Guardians.
>>
>>84885787
Nothing of what you say makes sense at all.
>>
>>84885853

I hope at least Wonder Woman make a cameo rescuing him from something or whatever.
>>
>>84885310
"Sinister Squad"
>>
>>84885895
Gunn is fucking garbage and even his films are extensively focus tested.
>>
>>84884389
>But here’s the way in which I’m interested in it. And if you’re not interested in it in that way, then that’s totally fine.”
Alpha just like Zack. It's gonna be kino.
>>
>>84885370
You have to be a full retard to think "Stop my invincible son" and saving a bus full of children resulting in a scene of brooding nonsense isn't total melodrama.

Also the constant biblical allusions/imagery that serve no real purpose other than to add emotional weight to scenes that are otherwise a waste of the audience's time.

>>84885938
Suicide Squad, fucked it up with that Sony non-movie, Sinister Six or whatever the hell that garbage was going to be.

>>84885853
Considering that Afflect was the only good thing in BvS, there's definitely hope.
>>
>>84886109
That's not melodrama. This is embarrassing. You are embarrassing.
>>
>>84885989
>Alpha just like Zack. It's gonna be kino.

alphas daughters don't commit suicide
>>
is Batman one of those heroes that are guaranteed to produce great movies/performances?
>>
>>84886260

Pretty much, even when his comics, cartoons and movies aren't that great they at least have tons of redeeming factors and over time gain a cult status.
>>
>>84886191
>That's not melodrama. This is embarrassing. You are embarrassing.
The only thing embarrassing is someone cherishing trash like it's gold.

Considering that Superman is a paper-thin character with virtually no character development, whose scenes consist entirely of somber whispering or loud yelling, almost always set with a backdrop of some biblical implication to add weight to his actions, he's a completely melodramatic character, almost a textbook definition of melodramatic.
>>
>>84886346
Imagine being this illiterate and mad at the same time.
>>
>>84885989
>Alpha just like Zack.
Have you ever heard Zack speak? That's not an Alpha at all.
>>
>>84884549
What about all the race mixing in the new spiderman? "Races dont exist, ...as long as its whites being mixed!!"
>>
>>84886260
I don't like Batffleck in BvS but with the right direction he can be a great Batman.
>>
>>84884389
L O L
Just like they respected the vision of the guy doing Suicide Reddit
>>
>>84885518
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4teJPCcJSQ0
>>
>>84886389
Alright, I get it, you don't actually know what melodrama means. Way to get triggered over a pair of shit movies.
>>
>>84886426
There were glimpses of a great Batman in BvS. Affleck's portrayal was great, but the script made some doubtful choices that didn't really pay off.
With a strong script, I think he can be the best live action Batman yet. I thought he was the only one that was just as good as Batman as he was as Bruce.
>>
>>84885787
I like MoS but what you said is so fucking retarded.
>>
>>84885787
>Superman going through the pathos of not being able to stop his heart attack would be even worse
No.

The heart attack gave Superman perspective and created a situation that was believable and a part of life. It allowed the audience to relate to him, as even Superman was capable of losing someone. The STOP MY INVINCIBLE SON scene was fucking full-blown retarded.

Anyone that's lost their father would know damn well that they would do anything to keep their dad alive. Standing there and watching the man that raised you get killed when you had all the power to stop it, but you simply didn't, is fucking retarded on every single level.

That scene was offensively stupid.
>>
>>84886973

>The heart attack gave Superman perspective and created a situation that was believable and a part of life. It allowed the audience to relate to him, as even Superman was capable of losing someone.

In a movie meant to show that after that traumatizing experience Superman decided he'd never let anyone else die because he has the power to stop everything bad from ever happening, even if he has to go back in time to do it.

So none of that fits MoS narrative.
>>
>>84886973
>That scene was offensively stupid.
Not to mention he dies to save the fucking dog, and Clark just stands there doing nothing. It would've been so much easier to make that scene more reasonable, like having Pa Kent helping some kid or something like that, and have Clark helping someone else at the same time or whatever.
How the fuck did anybody think that having Superman standing there, watching his dad dying for saving his fucking dog was a good idea?
>>
>>84887056
Well, yeah, because the MoS narrative was meant to show us a Superman that doesn't really wanna help anybody, unless he totally has to. So yes, it's consistent as in it is a shit scene in a shit movie.
>>
Will he do the smart thing and bring Batman back to some sort of gothic roots?

Also bring back both of these themes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02ryWaqCQlU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGCLJ4BQXXQ
>>
>>84887144

Because the dog had a significance. It showed that Jonathan cared for all kinds of family, even that of a lowly dog, because that dog was a part of the family. The same way Superman get to save humanity, who Zod view as beneath kryptonians, because the humans were his family.
>>
>>84887202

No, MoS narrative was about a Superman that couldn't do everything by himself and had to learn to trust humanity with his secret, because the mutual trust between him and us was instrumental to save the day.

Which goes in a total another direction from the first Superman movie, which was essentially about a Superman who can do everything and decided no else would ever get hurt on his watch ever again after losing his dad.
>>
>>84887222
So, we're like dogs for Superman? Doesn't this make it sound even more retarded to you?
>>
>>84887374

It was about not putting yourself above others and do everything to protect those you love.
>>
>>84886196
I cannot stand edgy teenagers on this board
>>
>>84887374
well duh, he is a fucking god and humans are what? little weak creatures that can't be trusted and that need someone to guide them
>>
>>84887222
>It showed that Jonathan cared for all kinds of family,
As an actual father you care for your son and your wife by ensuring that you're there for them. You don't stumble into a fucking tornado to save an animal that's going to be dead in a few years anyway.

The hoops people jump through to explain this moronic fucking scene are incredible.

>>84887359
>No, MoS narrative was about a Superman that couldn't do everything by himself and had to learn to trust humanity with his secret
The MoS narrative was about a young man that was incapable of being a good person, who only acted to save other when he absolutely had to, because he was raised as an apathetic and emotionally stunted moron by a father that valued the life of an animal over his own son and wife's well-being.

>because the mutual trust between him and us was instrumental to save the day.
Which is why one of the last scenes is him destroying a multi-million dollar military drone and being smug about it.
>>
File: image.jpg (118KB, 620x413px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
118KB, 620x413px
>certain vision
Drunk
>>
>>84885310
>WW was amazing
Citation needed.

It was a serviceable MCU film with dc characters. Fun but no rewatch value. Also souless and uninspired.
>>
>>84887552

>The MoS narrative was about a young man that was incapable of being a good person, who only acted to save other when he absolutely had to, because he was raised as an apathetic and emotionally stunted moron by a father that valued the life of an animal over his own son and wife's well-being.

You're a troll and i'm done talking to you.
>>
>>84887552

>Which is why one of the last scenes is him destroying a multi-million dollar military drone and being smug about it.

Spying is a lack of trust. That's the point of that scene. If Superman and the US were to work together, the US had to stop trying to dig dirt on Superman and just trust him, the same way Superman decided to trust in the US going forward.
>>
>>84887501
And that's why Man of Steel failed where Wonder Woman succeeded. Zack Snyder is just an edgy manchild.
>>
>>84884462
DC attracts talent. acting and direction. yes men go to marvel for the paycheck it's all about money for marvel
>>
>>84887639
>the same way Superman decided to trust in the US going forward.
With what, exactly? The government knows absolutely nothing about him, other than the fact that he leveled an entire city and caused billions in damages in two different states.
>>
>>84887573
>Citation needed.
The box office performance and the majority of critics? What are you, retarded?
>>
File: jlaw.gif (973KB, 500x300px) Image search: [Google]
jlaw.gif
973KB, 500x300px
>>84887671
>DC attracts talent
>>
>>84887754

The fact that he had decided to turn himself in to their care, that he came back to warn them about Zod, that he stayed with them to formulate a plan and go risk his life once again trying to execute it, that he killed people from his own race to help them.
>>
the batman will BTFO out of all other batman and capeshit movies
>>
>>84887809
everything DC has put out is raw talent.
this is a fact redditor.
>>
>>84885761
Have you seen the trailer for justice league that movie is gonna be insane , the league battling paradrmons and Steppenwolf the flashback to the war against darkseid its gonna be an intense film
>>
>>84887809
Don't bully spics that don't know a thing about cinema beyond john wick and mad max4
>>
>>84887963

But Whedon is going to fuck it up with quips and a boring score.
>>
>>84887989
Name one bad movie in the DCEU
>>
>>84887837
>The fact that he had decided to turn himself in to their care
He turned himself in and immediately demonstrated that he could just leave at any time. I'm sure they trusted him a great deal, and I'm sure that trust lasted through the massive and borderline apocalyptic circumstances that happened after that.
>>
>>84888001
Wheddon isnt remaking the whole film numb nuts he's just finishing up shit snyder was gonna do before he had to leave, why are marvel pajeets like satan tempting Jesus in the desert it aint gonna work buddy
>>
>>84885626
>.50 MickeyMonies have been deposited in your DisneyLunch™ pass
>>
>>84887887
Bad talent maybe. DCEU has been a complete clusterfuck so far.
>>
>>84888077

He showed them that he gave himself to them out of his own volition and that he could walk at any time, but chose not to, because he had his fate on their hands. He showed complete trust in them.

About the third act and all the destruction, that shit was already underway before Superman and the US army had ever come together to devise a plan to stop it. Superman wasn't alone in that fight. The US army was instrumental in that. That was the whole point. It was Superman + the US army against Zod & the kryptonians.
>>
>>84888189
DCEU has already won an oscar. and made billions where's your oscar marvelcuck?
>>
>>84888090

Just the fact that he changed the composer and is adding new scenes more editing the final cut of the movie is proof of a terrible sign. The movie will lose nearly all the thematic links with the previous movies.
>>
File: 1480259316575.png (95KB, 500x361px) Image search: [Google]
1480259316575.png
95KB, 500x361px
>>84884389

will he keep deathstroke as the main villain?

if not fuck this movie
>>
>>84888317
>the movie will lose all thematic links with the previous movies
Say it aint so
>>
>>84888385

Deathstroke should be the villain of the Nightwing movie, not Batman. Nightwing should be about a son feeling abandoned by a grieving father and having to deal with this new father figure trying to adopt him, and the character learning that he's already a grown ass man that can stand on his own and doesn't need any new daddies in his family.

Fucking hire me WB.
>>
>>84887554
wtf i hate steroids now?
>>
>>84888465

The problem is that Whedon can only deliver bland shit. No purpose, no soul, only mindless entertainment.
>>
>>84888385

Last I read they were downplaying Deathstrokes role for more of fuckboi Letos Joker

Who either needs to be recast or sat down by Reeves and changed completely

I am also done with Joker, just give us a new villain. Wheres the man bat at?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXlKAa9xm8I
>>
>>84888559

There's nothing wrong with Leto or SS Joker.
>>
>>84888317
Meet me back here after november 17 we'll see who's right
>>
>>84886196
Wasn't blood related, doesn't count.
>>
File: 993757-deathstrokewins.gif (446KB, 600x929px) Image search: [Google]
993757-deathstrokewins.gif
446KB, 600x929px
>>84888559

oh ffs

fuck joker, he's been the most overused piece of shit villain since a long time, it's always fucking him even in the video games his has been so fucking overused now with ''lol joker is so randum'' bullshit I can't stand it anymore

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pnK8akbd2M

just look at this video, it could've been a great concept, but do you know how it ends?

Deathstroke fight is the easiest fight containing only quick-time events, Deadmask is actually dead and the actual villain is actually the joker who takes a big shit on the whole overall plot

>pic related, we could have an actual fight where Batman gets his ass beaten for a change
>>
>>84888608
>There's nothing wrong with Leto or SS Joker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cht1ZLxN6cM
>>
>>84888732

Nothing wrong with that scene.
>>
>>84888253
>He showed complete trust in them.
>I trust that you'll be able to clean up the mess I made, and the ones I will continue to make in the future.
I just don't understand where the trust they're supposed to have in him is coming from. It would be like a nuclear bomb being armed in a major city, and then the guy who armed it surrenders to the military and demonstrates that he has a smaller one strapped to his chest and can just set it off at any time, but then asks the military to help him get rid of the first one he armed.

Then later, then the military tries to glean some information as to what he's capable of, he just blows up their plane, because they're just supposed to trust him.

The line of logic just doesn't make sense to me.
>>
>>84888257
>marvelcuck
This is always funny to me. Like someone has to be a fan of one cinematic universe to hate the other. Strawman and ad hominem tactics galore from you capeshit fans.
>>
>>84888802

Superman told them he was raised as one of them and had no alliance to Zod, which he demonstrated by risking his life time and time again to put a stop to Zod, up to including murdering him and all his followers, which technically are Superman's people.

That's a huge sign of trust.
>>
>>84888466

nah deathstroke the in kenya living, hired assasin vs lone Batman

no teen titans and sideboy crap for a change
>>
>>84888802
Don't spoil the pot of the next Batman movie, you ice sickle.
>>
>>84888904

You don't need Deathstroke as a mere hired assassin.
>>
>>84888894
I guess?
>>
>>84884389
Holy shit. Matt Reeves may have just made himself one of my favourite directors. If only he a stronger vision, but still
>>
>>84888943

take that back he's much cooler when he hangs out with his best aristocrat bro William Randolph Wintergreen
>>
>>84884595
>who is kenneth branagh
>>
>>84884389
>never made a good movie
>got to direct Batman
can't WB afford famous directors?
>>
File: 1662596-scan0016.jpg (485KB, 1233x1920px) Image search: [Google]
1662596-scan0016.jpg
485KB, 1233x1920px
>>84889067
>>
File: 1398834721170.jpg (15KB, 275x249px) Image search: [Google]
1398834721170.jpg
15KB, 275x249px
>>84887804

>implying """critics""" aren't paid shills
>letting cash and the opinions of others determine what is good in your mind

I'm not the guy you're quoting, I haven't even seen any of these movies because capeshit is gay, but c'mon now. If you're going to spew an opinion at least make it your own. Citing the opinions of movie critics like that's proof of anything when it comes to taste? Citing the box office totals when movie tickets are like $16? Forgetting that film is supposed to be an art form and not just a massive demoralizing cash cow?
>>
>>84889747
>letting cash and the opinions of others determine what is good in your mind
In my opinion it was great.

He wanted a citation so I gave him hard evidence of it.

>$16
Who the hell pays this much to see a movie? It was $5 when I saw it, and that was the Tuesday after it came out.

>Forgetting that film is supposed to be an art form and not just a massive demoralizing cash cow?
Film isn't "supposed" to be anything. It just what it is, other people take from it what they want.

Stop trying to sound intelligent.
>>
>>84889154
nice going anon gow we all know you have terrible taste
>>
>>84890109
>hard evidence
of its popularity, not its quality. it's actually a very common logical fallacy, don't feel bad
>>
>>84890486
Quality can be a subjective topic in relation to subjective material.

Again, stop trying to sound intelligent.
>>
>>84890815
that was my first post in this thread bud
i dunno what you think you are proving by referencing box office receipts or aggregate reviews, and i guess others are confused as well
>>
>>84884462
The last ballsy Marvel director quit half way through filming and we ended up getting a by the numbers Marvel flick
>>
File: 1499624960091.png (427KB, 500x562px) Image search: [Google]
1499624960091.png
427KB, 500x562px
>>84884462
>>
>YFW The Batman is shot in high contrast black and white with a Jazz soundtrack
>>
File: daddario power.jpg (69KB, 952x968px) Image search: [Google]
daddario power.jpg
69KB, 952x968px
>>84893823
>>
>>84887501
A dog will seriously fuck you up, dude. You ever seen that video where the pitbulls eats an old woman's face? Jamie pull that up.
Thread posts: 122
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.