[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it really as bad as everyone says?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

Is it really as bad as everyone says?
>>
well it's space fantasy so...
>>
>>84867630
no, but it's practically incoherent if you haven't read the book. the extended edition has a 10 minute prologue that sets up the universe better but it doesn't help that much.
>>
>>84867630
It's not bad but it kind of wears you down. Not super great and couldn't really stand on its own without the book.

It's more like something to see if you really like the book. Some things were done well but not many.

Too bad his kids ruined the whole deal.
>>
>>84867630
The aesthetic is fantastic and make the movie worth watching just for that.
>>
>>84867647
>>84867830
>>84867895
I'll check it out then. Read the book recently and I quite liked it.
>>
No it really isn't, sure as a blockbuster movie it's a failure and sure many aspects of the plot were butchered and cut for time, but it makes up for it's shortcomings by the way it looked and how it treated the prescience aspect of dune, which among many other things makes creating a dune adaption very difficult.
Lynch nailed the look and feel, everything about the set design properly conveys the ancient and grandiose nature of the dune universe, so much so that even frank herbert himself was impressed.
>>
Just get the fanedit that edits back in all of the missing scenes; some Anon will be by to give you a link I'm sure
>>
>>84867630
I couldn't finish it and I've seen practically everything else Lynch has done. I guess if you've read / enjoyed the source material it's good but if you haven't good fucking luck slogging through the whole thing.

That being said, the shitty effects actually added a welcome kitsch to certain scenes.
>>
>>84867630
If you're familiar with the source material the first half is fantastic. The last act turns into flash gordon shit and kind of sucks. But it's one of the best aesthetic interpretations of the Dune universe we have.
>>
Im trying the books now. There is so much shit going on in the first 100 pages alone it's fucked.
>>
Don't let anyone fool you op, it's a genuinely awful film. I love Lynch and sci fi and Kyle McLachlan and I say this. It's just bad.
Any reviewers you see that put this in their top 10 science fiction movie list, or say it's a "cult classic," they're just retarded.
>>
>>84867630
it's a David Reddit movie, what do you think
>>
File: 1489052150061.jpg (2MB, 1995x4839px) Image search: [Google]
1489052150061.jpg
2MB, 1995x4839px
>>84867630
No, it isn't.
>>
>>84868776
When you've absorbed it all you'll look back and see that it's actually pretty simple. There's just a lot of world-building to set the scene for the relatively easy to follow plot.
>>
>>84868056
I'm watching what I think you're referring to at the moment. It certainly would help make more sense of everything, but it also detracts from the presentation of some of the characters. The emperor comes off as less ruthless and almost simple-minded in a couple bits, and that navigator voice is unmeasured. Though I like the edit, the breaks in the flow and all that to make it more sensible makes me think it would be better to see the extended edition (official release, not fan edit) first in order to keep the aesthetic that people like intact, especially if the viewer has already read the source.
>>
>>84867630
It's Kino, not even memeing here. Haven't even read the book past the first 100 pages. No idea why people find it hard to follow.
>>
>>84868856
funny picture
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.