[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Need a comfy horror movie

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2

File: il_fullxfull.558280863_mhco.jpg (192KB, 1300x975px) Image search: [Google]
il_fullxfull.558280863_mhco.jpg
192KB, 1300x975px
I want a good horror movie that is kinda like these 3 films:

In The Mouth of Madness
The Void
A Dark Song

Lovecraft, occult, monsters stuff. English language movies only and no low budget shits plzkthx.
>>
>>84816098
>comfy horror movie
oxymoron
>>
The biggest horroshow in America is the recent legalization of homosexual marriage
>>
Lovecraft's Mythos can not be captured on film. At best you are gonna have a movie about a group of occultists/investigators talking about creepy shit and how it drove them mad. The creatures themselves can not be portrayed in a visual form, only described (but still lacking in details). That's the whole point.

That being said, there are plenty of movies that are partially inspired by or are similar to Lovecraft's work. In random order:

Hellraiser
Lo
Banshee Chapter
Beyond the Black Rainbow
The Thing
Prince of Darkness
Cabin in the Woods
Begotten (skip this if you don't like experimental and pretentious le2deep4u movies)
The Fly ('86 version)
Videodrome
The Mist
Lord of Illusions
Village of the Damned
>>
>>84816472
Wrong. I grew up on horror movie marathons when I was a little kid, so now most horror movies are extremely comfy and nostalgic for me.
>>
>>84817026
nice list
this anon gets it
>>
>>84817087
They are comfy for you (and me, for that matter), but they are and should not be comfy in general. I mean, that's the point, right?
>>
>>84816498
go back to /pol/
>>
>>84817026
OP here Nice... I've seen every film on this list except Lo, Hellraiser and Beyond the Black Rainbow

Thanks
>>
>>84817026
>Not Dagon

it's literally a Lovecraft adaption
>>
File: beyondthedankrainbow reveil.webm (2MB, 1024x429px) Image search: [Google]
beyondthedankrainbow reveil.webm
2MB, 1024x429px
>>84817328
keep an open mind
>>
>>84817463
I know, I just tried to stir away from actual Lovecraft adaptions because they tend to, well, be bad. As a matter of fact, Dagon, while fun, is a pretty bad movie. Not only does it fail to capture the atmosphere of The Shadow Over Innsmouth, but it also takes many liberties with its script, making the final product very loosely based on Lovecraft's story. It's also laughably bad and a very low-value production.
>>
>>84817616
The door scene is top notch though, accurately captures the action-horror aspects of several of Lovecraft's stories, Shadow over Innsmouth and the Color out of Space. It's not even *that* campy, all things considered, I'm sure OP would find it cozy
>>
>>84817721
By all means, it's a very fun movie, but it'd put it under the "horror comedy" category, not the "serious/cosmic horror" category that OP is looking for.
Though I did list Lo which is a romance-comedy-horror film, so I guess I'm not too honest lol
>>
>>84817721
>>84817994
Oh and btw, I too enjoyed the "door" scene, even though that's mostly because it brought back memories of the Call of Cthulhu video game.
>>
>>84817026
Not Op but thanks anyway, Beyond the Black Rainbow look very interesting and I don't remember a lot about the lord of illusion

not sure about begotten though
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHXgNn18z90
>>
>>84818058
Yeah, it's definitely not for everyone (or anyone lol).
But it does nicely capture an atmosphere of cosmic existentialism, in a very early-Lynch style.
>>
>>84817026
You're the first person on this site that I've seen mention Begotten. Quality kino taste my friend.
>>
>>84817026
A few more I remembered:
Jacob's Ladder
Event Horizon
Honeymoon
The Abyss
Quatermass and the Pit
The Wicker Man ('73 original)
Night of the Demon ('57)
>>
>>84818637
Take Event Horizon off of that, and you have a good list.
That movie is just too cheesy and badly written to be taken seriously.
>>
>>84818775
But dat ending tho. It's worth it just for the visuals.
>>
>>84818775
not him but fuck off, Event Horizon is amazing
>>
>>84818837
It relies too much on jump scares and isn't near as scary as it advertises.
The writing is generic, the characters are not performed well, and it all adds up to a "boss fight" with Sam Neill. Take off the rose tinted glasses and watch it again, desu.
>>
>>84818831
Yeah, I'll agree with that. Those late-90s practical effects and miniatures. Boy do I love those miniatures.
>>
>>84818775
>too cheesy
>guy also listed the Wicker Man

it's a musical for crying out loud
>>
>>84817026
>>84818637

I recently saw the Void on netflix. It feel similar in the vein of Lovecraft.
>>
>>84819053
You seem to be getting camp and cheese confused, anon
>>
>>84819053
I only listed that because it captures the whole "group of cultists" thing well.

>>84819055
Yes, it was alright. Not a great movie in by any means, but it had something going. OP already listed it though.
>>
>>84818968
It is, dumb, goofy, original, fun, and very entertaining. I've seen it twice already! I count myself a fan, even if perhaps its intended effect on the viewer doesn't land.
>>
>>84818775
Cheese is sometimes good, I felt the movie was just "different" enough to earn some elbow room in regards to the cheese.

What space/hell horrors are we comparing it to?
>>
>>84819202
jason x
>>
Watching the Void rn. Not really enjoying it desu. Try Kill List, even though I kinda ruined it for you by recommending it on this list
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.