[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>How did you learn our language? >I listened! Fucking seriously?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: latest[1].gif (169KB, 320x475px) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].gif
169KB, 320x475px
>How did you learn our language?
>I listened!
Fucking seriously?
>>
>>84784458
He's some high Arab priest or some shit, i.e., smart. Would've been a dull movie without conversation.

Probably the sole good viking kino.
>>
>>84784458
Uh, yeah dude. You didn't know that all you have to do to learn a language is to sit around a campfire and listen to them talk?
>>
>>84784458
Ahmed ibn Fadlan is a real explorer in history in year 921. "his accounts have been indispensable in the investigation and analysis of the history of the Vikings and the Rus, helping historians, archaeologists and linguists clarify a traditionally unclear and gapped history."
>>
>>84785292
and he learned their whole language by sitting around a campfire.
>>
>>84784458
Immersion learning is probably the single best way to learn languages. It's unusual for someone to do it easily as an adult, but he's probably of above-average intelligence seeing as how he's a high ranking intellectual in their society.

>>84785424
They were traveling for weeks before he started speaking, the scene was trying to convey that he was slowly picking up their language over time, not that he learned it in thirty seconds around the fire that one time.
>>
>>84785456
lol fuck off gayboy you just want to fuck Michael Crichton's corpse everyone knows that 13th Warrior is terrible and him learning the language around a campfire was stupid. it's a stupid scene.
>>
>>84784458
>being so much of a dumb ignorant pleb that you can't imagine learning
-simultaneously demonstrates a characters intelligence
-and removes the language barrier inherent to the era
-it was over months at sea with nothing to do
-demonstrates the characters intelligence
-gets rid of
>>
At least it establishes him learning the language rather than starting out with everyone speaking ye olde english like every fucking movie/show that revolves around Rome and such.
>>
>>84784458
>an ordinary man, an extraordinary journey
thats the worst possible tagline for this movie ever
>>
>>84784458
fuck you for trying to meme one of my favourite movies. I always make it a point to watch this every year along with Braveheart and Gladiator, or when i see it playing at HBO. i love this movie
>>
>>84787377
well he is somewhat an ordinary man in the perception of the vikings.
he has a small build
he has a small horse
he doesn't even speak
he doesn't look like a warrior
his occupation isn't a warrior class
hell his sword is even bent by their standards
>>
>>84784458
It's not like he would learn all of the language, just enough to communicate adequately. Shit like me sleep, you drink many, no danger. It would be fucked if they talked the whole movie like that.
>>
>>84787377
this is possibly the only legitimate criticism in this thread
>>
>>84788005
one day you say 'me sleep' the next you learn to say 'me to go sleep now' and you build, shit guys this isn't hard
>>
>>84784458
Best viking movie ever
>>
>grows up listening to people talk
>learns their language
>movie character doing the same is impossible
>>
>>84785512
People like you I tend to hate. But you're probably long gone and I'm not supposed to hate apparitions.
>>
>>84784458
Alright, this is easily the weakest part in a pretty good movie. Both the book and the movie were written by Crichton, who also directed the film. I'm really not sure why he decided to change how Fadlan learned the language from how he did it in the book, which portrayed him being taught by a viking.
>>
>>84790022
Says the impotent stupid man
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.