[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why Christopher Nolan’s Dunkirk Is So Short

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 9

File: Dunkirk.jpg (31KB, 786x393px) Image search: [Google]
Dunkirk.jpg
31KB, 786x393px
>“I wanted it to be an intense an experience as possible and therefore as lean and stripped down and short an experience as possible. You can only sustain the degree of suspense and tension that we wanted from the film for so long before you exhaust the audience. I think perhaps people hearing that I was doing a film about Dunkirk, particularly British people who know the story already are thinking big historical epic, they’re imagining a three-hour film with a lot of talking and all the rest. What I did is I wrote a script that was 76 pages that is really half the length of my old screenplays because I didn’t want to tell the story in words – I didn’t want the theatrics of people telling the audience why you should care about them. I wanted to care about them just because of the physical situation they were in, and in that way build up a subjective experience of the events of Dunkirk that would hopefully have a cumulative quality, emotional quality through the course of the film that will pay off at the end of the film without ever being overly theatrical or sentimentalising these real life events.

>“So the relentless pacing of it and the stripped down nature of it was something I was very determined to stick to with right from the beginning before I wrote the script.”

Are we ready for the movie of the year /tv/?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cmgiys2n1o
>>
Track off the score

>Just zimmer my shit up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1VJ39nVIBk
>>
File: 1493920005501s.jpg (2KB, 125x108px) Image search: [Google]
1493920005501s.jpg
2KB, 125x108px
>>84781362
>You're lucky enough to be living in a time-line where we meme'd a Nolan film out so much he decided to make a movie with no dialog for us to meme out.

He was even brave enough to put Big Guy in it again.
>>
Nolan may be a meme and completely delusional, if you remember him comparing TDKR to Fritz Lang or David Lean, he completely fucked up. But I'm glad he has noble ambitions and seems willing to grow as a filmmaker. Dunkirk might be another mediocre movie, but him comparing it to Clouzot and Bresson (I assume also Dassin and Melville), and talking about how he wants to make something more visual and pacing-based, makes me hope he has heard all the people criticizing him for over-relying on expository dialogues and making his themes too obvious and ready to digest for the plebs. Actually I think suspense is something he's fairly good at, Memento was a fine thriller, and the best moments from TDK, TDKR and Inception are the scenes influenced by the meticulous and visual pacing of the heist film tradition (Inception was lousy scifi but a cool heist ensemble, TDK bank heist was an ingenuous rif on Mann, and the meme plane opening from TDKR was actually a cool stunt piece structured like another heist). I think he said somewhere that Topkapi was one of his favorite films and it shows, but he should just embrace the low-key simple fun (which comes from complex crafting that never brings attention to itself) aspects of it instead of trying so hard to appear deep for plebs.
>>
File: S70706-240402.jpg (155KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
S70706-240402.jpg
155KB, 720x1280px
At first I didn't even wanted to see it, but then...
I hope there will be special screenings with real film, just like 3:17 fart's H8ful™.
>>
Chrishitter Nolans movies are too long anyways.
>>
>>84783621
I think Snyder is friends with Nolan though, they worked together on Man of Steel
He's probably biased
>>
>>84781362
>>84781562
NOLANZIMMER KINO IS BACK ON THE MENU BOYS
>>
>>84781362
I'm worried that this film will be mediocre, in my opinion Nolan has been on a downward slope
TDK was great tier
Inception was good tier
TDKR and Interstellar are wtf tier
>>
>>84781362
Interstellar and Dark Knight Rises were both over 2 hours and 40 minutes, which is just too long. I'm glad he's more liberal with the cutting in this one.

Can't wait for this movie.
>>
>>84784529
Inception was shit
>>
>>84781362
>“I wanted it to be an intense an experience as possible and therefore as lean and stripped down and short an experience as possible. You can only sustain the degree of suspense and tension that we wanted from the film for so long before you exhaust the audience.

You could have done that with every single fucking movie you've done since Inception, Chris
>>
>>84785064
Yeah if you're a brainlet
>>
>>84781362
>You can only sustain the degree of suspense and tension that we wanted from the film for so long before you exhaust the audience

Nolan confirmed pleb who doesnt enjoy Das Boot
>>
>>84781851
Lmao.
>Tom Hardy in a plane again
>puts on mask
>will probably get shot down and crash
NOLAN still /ourguy/ wtf are you talking about?
>>
I'm torn, on one hand I'd like to see a gripping war film right now, on the other this is the same shitfuck that made Interstellar (the worst film ever made).
>>
>>84785337
He's talking about the typical audience dumbass, and he happens to be right
>>
>>84785064

You mom was shit in bed
>>
>>84781562
anymore
>>
>>84785064
Not enough quips for you Pajeet?
>>
>>84781362

Looks like kino is back on the menu boys
>>
>>84781562
Crashing this plane
>>
>>84781362
Honestly Dunkirk as a subject is just boring as hell
>>
File: Dunkirk.webm (2MB, 1262x524px) Image search: [Google]
Dunkirk.webm
2MB, 1262x524px
Why does he wear the mask?
>>
>>84782198
Hey man nice post, I agree with it completely
>>
File: 1474745727117.jpg (40KB, 274x540px) Image search: [Google]
1474745727117.jpg
40KB, 274x540px
>>84781562
that artwork is fucking BEAST!
how the hell did Nolan pitch this movie with no blacks and no Americans to the Jews at Hollywood?

Genius Nolan! Genius!

im HYPED!
>>
>>84786227
>to the Jews at Hollywood

It's his own production company he's using, so it's primarily a British production.
>>
>>84785064
you mean THE shit
>>
Here are a few excerpts from a Nolan Dunkirk interview
>(Smile.) Do not repeat it to the studio: it will be my most experimental film. By far. I preferred to make a sensory, almost experimental movie. Without dialogue. The soldiers have no history - at least I don’t tell it. Most of the crew didn’t understand why I was screening them The Wages of Fear. But it was the one that made the most sense. Which talks about mechanics, procedure and physical difficulties. I rewatched Pickpoket and Un condamné à mort s’est échappé, just for that. Bresson details everything, creates suspense with details.

And an explanation for the PG-13 rating
>[Saving Private] Ryan is a film about the body, blood, fear of being dismembered. Fear is physical. Steven was able to create a visceral intensity of the experience of war. Dunkirk doesn’t play in the same category. It’s a movie with suspense and a race against time.

So basically it will be a film about transporting a fuckload of people from point A to point B while being in extreme danger of being completely BTFO'd by Stukas.
Great film or not, it will surely be a great cinema experience.
>>
>>84786271
he needed the budget from Warner Bros
>>
>>84781362
>Focus groups show that today's medicine is unable to curb ADHD and that longer movies with more talking are less received by the masses. Turns out that full action music videos is where it is at.
>In short, we want the capeshit audience.
>>
>>84781362
An original big budget film that is not a reboot/sequel/prequel/remake with a full white male cast in 2017? Is that even possible?
>>
>>84786271
>implying elite Brits arent partially jew
>>
File: mark-rylance-344.jpg (374KB, 2000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
mark-rylance-344.jpg
374KB, 2000x1500px
Just give me another Oscar.
>>
>>84786528
is Nolan redpilled?

Already this film is triggering the left
>>
>>84786503
Nolan keeping the dialogue as minimal as possible was the best decision he could've made, it was always his weak point while he excells at executing big action set pieces.
Also there will be no close quarter one-on-one fights so the poor choreography will also not be present. I doubt we will even see a single german soldier up close.
I am looking forward to it.
>>
Dunkirk or: let’s put all the attractive, white, British males in one movie

— Yasmin Salahuddin (@iamfindingmeeno) May 9, 2017

What comes to mind when I see the trailer for Dunkirk? A boring war movie with a bunch of white dudes. #nothanks

— Steph | Runs Trails (@stephrunstrails) June 5, 2017

I assume the guys bitching about a female-directed female-driven film will be first in line for Dunkirk, a movie starring only white guys.

— Mike Eisenberg (@Eisentower30) June 4, 2017

Dunkirk trailer: plays
Me: stop showing these unimportant white men, where’s harry the only man who matters

— how much i love you (@thmyscira) June 2, 2017

Dunkirk: more proof Hollywood will never run out of movies about white guys doing stuff in WWII

— dolly (@loather) May 26, 2017

White Hollywood is all about accuracy when it’s making white movie like Dunkirk but is “idk an Asian/Hawaiian” when it come to their story

— (@MaisonDeLucy) May 10, 2017

Thoughts?
>>
>>84787038
>niggers thinking this is primarily a hollywood production

Dumbos the lot of them.
>>
>>84787038
I hate when people take tweets of literal who's with 12 followers and post them like actual news headline quotes.
No one gives a fuck.
>>
Last two digits is RT score
>>
>>84786503
>I need to hear people talking all the time or I get bored
>>
why isn't dc using nolan to pump out capekino?
>>
>>84782198
>if you remember him comparing TDKR to Fritz Lang or David Lean
This didn't happen.
>>
>>84787038
Brainlets
>>
>>84787891
They went to him first but he rejected it
>>
>>84787891
Nolan used WB
>>
>>84781362
>expecting it to be like 70 minutes from this post
>look up runtime
>2 hours

this is considered short now?
>>
>>84781362
NOLAN IS OUR GUY
NOLAN IS THE BEST GUY
NOLAN IS BETTER THAN JESUS CHRIST HIMSELF
>>
>>84785064
>>84784529
Inception and Interstellar are some of my favorite films of all time. Brainlets just can't understand it.
>>
>To accurately convey the perspective of the soldiers on the beach—for whom contact with the enemy was "extremely limited and intermittent"—he made a conscious decision to never show Germans on screen.
so not even a typical war film, interesting
>>
>>84787969
a few excerpts from Nolan on TDKR
>"I think this is the biggest one I’ve done, the biggest one anyone’s done since the silent era"
>"I don’t know when someone last did a film with 11,000 extras in a real environment. It is an escalation."
>"It’s all about historical epics in conception. It’s a war film. It’s a revolutionary epic. It’s looking back to the grand-scale epics of the past, really, and for me that goes as far back as silent films. I’ve been watching a lot of silent films with my kids on Blu-Ray. We’ve shot over a third of the movie on the IMAX format, and that naturally puts you more in the mode of staging very large events for the camera. It’s my attempt to get as close to making a Fritz Lang film as I could. It’s also more in the mould of ‘Doctor Zhivago,’ or ‘A Tale Of Two Cities,’ which is a historical epic with all kinds of great storytelling taking place during the French Revolution."
>>
(Smile.) Do not repeat it to the studio: it will be my most experimental film. By far. I preferred to make a sensory, almost experimental movie. Without dialogue. The soldiers have no history - at least I don’t tell it. Most of the crew didn’t understand why I was screening them The Wages of Fear. But it was the one that made the most sense. Which talks about mechanics, procedure and physical difficulties. I rewatched Pickpoket and Un condamné à mort s’est échappé, just for that. Bresson details everything, creates suspense with details.

[Saving Private] Ryan is a film about the body, blood, fear of being dismembered. Dunkirk doesn’t play in the same category. It’s a movie with suspense and a race against time. The fear on which I play is more … intellectual.

It isn’t by accident that Heart of Darkness by Conrad is one of my favorite novels. It’s the purest form of geography and storytelling. Conrad never repeats himself, he sinks gradually into the depths of the human mind. Is it an inward journey or a trip out of oneself ? That’s the real question Conrad is asking. And 2001! And Dante! How to tell the trip ? This is the main question of cinema. Dunkirk speaks about a very special place that evokes the Bible squarely. In May 1940, the English were the Jews driven out of Egypt and driven back by the Red Sea. And in a Judeo-Christian civilization it adds a very strong level of mythology.
>>
>>84788096
Relative to Nolan's other self-indulgent films?

2 hours is nothing
>>
>>84788364
holy fuck the kino levels are OFF THE CHARTS
>>
>>84786503
>In short, we want the capeshit audience.
>Cape movies are between 120 and 150 mins long in average
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>84788722
that's not all
>The empathy for the characters has nothing to do with their story. I did not want to go through the dialogue, tell the story of my characters… The problem is not who they are, who they pretend to be or where they come from. The only question I was interested in was: Will they get out of it? Will they be killed by the next bomb while trying to join the mole? Or will they be crushed by a boat while crossing?
>>
>>84781362
>movie is about French retreating
>Germans didn't really even really try to kill them because Hitler had some batshit reason
While it was an important event, I don't think it warrants a movie.
>>
>>84787038
No one gives a fuck about what some literally whos on Twitter did or didn't say.
Stop being a little bitch.
>>
File: Mike.png (1MB, 441x603px) Image search: [Google]
Mike.png
1MB, 441x603px
This hack will hate it

>Where is the character development
>Where is the protagonist
>Where is the beginning, middle and end to my story
>Why are they all British
>>
>>84788912
So we aren't supposed to care about the characters?
>>
>>84788919
>movie is about French retreating
you mean British
>Germans didn't really even try to kill them because Hitler had some batshit reason
Hindsight is 20/20, many of the generals were wary of say Rommel's exploits and stuff as well. After all things were going too well, there had to be some catch they viewed overextending so much. Plus they didn't expect Britain to hold on long after, last war, Germany capitulated before any fighting reached them. Also while the Germans didn't launch a land assault, they still held some sort of air superiority, with the French caught off guard and much of the RAF was hampered by range. Plus their navy had some teeth too. Several destroyers and hundreds of other craft were lost. Your point?
>>
>>84789121
Apparently. It seems quite counterkino, but I guess that's the way wars are. You might be worried about Uncle Tommy stationed in France, but one bomb and he's good as dead. To some general, he's just another replaceable figure. It's no longer some fictional bs about penetrating deep into German lines to rescue a single soldier to prevent the Sullivan brothers 2.0, it's war as war.
>>
File: 1392653142695.jpg (3KB, 111x126px) Image search: [Google]
1392653142695.jpg
3KB, 111x126px
Just think!

>no blacks/spics/jews
>no americans
>all white cast
> sold to jews at warner bros by God nolan
> already triggering the left!

GOD NOLAN! the HYPE TRAIN WILL NEVER DERAIL!
>>
File: 1486137430011.jpg (26KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1486137430011.jpg
26KB, 500x375px
>getting excited for a Nolan film
/v/ never seems to learn
>>
>>84789171
>Your point?

I don't think it warrants a movie.
>>
>>84788167

You literally have to be a brainlet to think either of those films could be challenging to the viewer
>>
>>84790471
In which way does it not? More than half of the BEF was rescued, and for Britain, it came at a time in which they needed every soldier they could. One could argue that it had more historical significance than say the famous Iwo Jima, which yeah it did probably saved a few flyboys, but what, at a cost of thousands of Marines? Wars aren't won in one day, and it is important to know how to lose, in which the Allies demonstrated at Dunkirk. They packed their bags and left, licking their wounds for another day, unlike certain orders that doomed the Sixth Army at a certain city. Thus in a sense it was a victory, that hundreds of thousands were saved, even if land was lost. You can regain land, but lots of soldiers are hard to come by (unless you're USSR).
>>
>>84785459
>Interstellar (the worst film ever made)
>being this big of a brainlet
Thread posts: 68
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.