[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

British UK comedians

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 206
Thread images: 21

File: juhr9h959.jpg (99KB, 858x536px) Image search: [Google]
juhr9h959.jpg
99KB, 858x536px
Who are your favourite British stand-up comedians?
>>
>>84746106

Has Lars Ulrich become some hack comedian in his old age?
>>
File: babycop.jpg (229KB, 640x619px) Image search: [Google]
babycop.jpg
229KB, 640x619px
The one with the homo accent.
>>
>>84746197
Gonna have to narrow it down a bit mate
>>
eddie izzard
>>
>>84746106
I like most of them.
Sean Lock is fucking hilarious, as is Micky Flanagan.
Kevin Bridges is alright too.

I fucking HATE Ross Noble though, he's the least funny comedian on the planet.
I don't like Peter Kay, John Bishop, Russell Brand, Jack Whitehall, Al Murray... they're all fucking shite.
>>
>>84746106
My son is home for the summer and has introduced me to Aunty Donna. Most of it reminds of old episodes of The State, very slap stick, but I really liked the bit they did about Ellen Degeneres.
>>
File: IMG_6023.jpg (37KB, 350x262px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6023.jpg
37KB, 350x262px
/thread
>>
File: james-acaster-reset-small.jpg (2MB, 2126x3186px) Image search: [Google]
james-acaster-reset-small.jpg
2MB, 2126x3186px
>>
>>84746273

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=a5FGOaz__W0
>>
>>84746232
You know...he has blue eyes and drinks warm beer?
>>
>>84746275
pretentious unfunny cunt

sean lock is the right answer
>>
>>84746259
Kevin Bridges is top tier my man, best comedian in Britain today.
>Jack Whitehall
His standup's really poor yeah and he has no range as an actor, but he plays posh twats pretty perfectly

>>84746320
>drinks warm beer
What exactly is this meme? People in the Uk don't drink warm beer
>>
>>84746275
THATCHER
THATCHER
THATCHER
THATCHER
THE JUNGLE CANYON ROPE-BRIDGE SNATCHER
>>
As a personal rule of thumb I try to avoid comedians who also use music in their acts because it's generally never funny, but Bill Bailey is the exception. Great comedian, great musician, and when he mixes both it's hilarious.

Dara O'Briain's stand up is also really, really good. Much better than when he's on tv, and a lot less EEEEEEEEEH which most people seem to hate him for. He's one of the best at audience interaction, and just generally funny.

Micky Flanagan's DVD's make me fucking wet myself, he's amazing.
Controversially I also love Michael McIntyre. He gets a lot of hate somehow, but I love his style of observational comedy.
>>
>>84746273
>>84746315
this is australian you stupid cunt
>>
File: Frankie Boyle.jpg (27KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
Frankie Boyle.jpg
27KB, 640x360px
>>
>>84746259
>>84746418
I'm not a native speaker of English and Kevin Bridges' thick accent is just too much for me sometimes, I get lost while watching his gigs. Same with John Bishop, he sounds like he can't string a sentence together, but I can at least understand him. Think he's an unfunny twat though and have no idea why he's so popular.

Also what the fuck is it with the UK and Peter Kay? Isn't he like the most successful comedian from there? Never once made me laugh, no idea why he's so praised
>>
David O'Doherty is maybe the only musical comedian worth listening to
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-dCq9ps78M
>>
>>84746106
Jens D'Louch
Sammy Mack
Mickey Flanagan
Delroy Smith
Sean Lock
Jen & Jen
The Niggerkiller
Frankie Boyle
TechRAY
Eddie Izzard
JoJo Cruise
The Tea Sipper
John Bishop
Al Murray
Rhonda Morgan
"Fat" Robert Northlake
Jim Acaster
Monty Python
Kevin Bridges
Dara O'Brian
>>
>>84746455
>>84746305
>>84746275
>>84746197
>>84746106

Why do they all look so fucking insufferable?

Every single one of them.
>>
>>84746550
>Peter Kay popular
A bit more than a decade maybe
>>
>>84746610
ago fuck
>>
>>84746550
That's understandable, Kevin Bridges actually makes an effort to tone down the accent when he' not performing for Scottish audiences and even then apparently some English people have trouble with him. Yeah and Peter Kay is shit, I haven't watched any John Bishop since I was 12 but I liked him back then which isn't saying much I guess
>>
File: 4102888924ba254ce332ba18ded11015.jpg (397KB, 1200x899px) Image search: [Google]
4102888924ba254ce332ba18ded11015.jpg
397KB, 1200x899px
He was top-tier on NMTB - how is his stand-up?
>>
File: sean lock.png (1MB, 998x877px) Image search: [Google]
sean lock.png
1MB, 998x877px
Sean Lock is one of the best out there, I really want to see him live one day. It's a shame about some of his DVDs though because he got unlucky and got a terrible audience. Lots of awkward silence after punchlines. Meanwhile I'm watching it at home laughing my arse off

Also, anyone see Sean on the latest Cats does Countdown? He's gone all Heisenberg.
>>
>>84746610
>>84746637
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Kay%27s_Car_Share
>Average ratings for season 2 - 7.28

It's fucking awful too and somehow won a BAFTA
>>
File: Ricky-Gervais-dog.jpg (143KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
Ricky-Gervais-dog.jpg
143KB, 2048x1536px
probably my favourite comedian of all time
>>
>>84746815
FUck off shit taste cunt
>>
>>84746784
His show isn't the same as his standup or him as a cultural figure generally
He probably the most successful comedian world records wise because of how popular he was for a few years but in terms of relevance he's non-existent
>>
Miranda
>>
>>84746782
Whoa. I never saw his new look before.
>>
>>84746760

He killed buzzcocks. You'd probably enjoy his attempt at stand-up.
>>
>>84746760
>He was top-tier on NMTB

That's not MArk Lamarr though https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IR-TMaeh6A
>>
>>84746760
Actually really funny, worth a try fag
>>
>>84746868
He only "killed" buzzcocks because he cut his guests to the core. The guests not being able to handle the banter is what killed it.
>>
I don't watch s.u.comedy.
>>
>>84746760
>his stand-up
It's
>I'm gay
for an hour and a bit
>>
>>84746856
Oh no of course not, pretty much the only time he's brought up is as a subject of ridicule by other comedians, he's not exactly been influential to British comedy.
But Car Share was probably the most successful British comedy of the last couple of years, so clearly he still has a lot of fans
>>
>>84746986
He's gay?
>>
>>84746867
Well, it's new. Maybe a few weeks now.
>>
>>84747003
>Amstell lives in London. He is Jewish and openly gay which occasionally features in his work.[28][29][30] He is a vegan and teetotal.[31][32]
literally /tv/'s worst nightmare, or I guess maybe they'd like the teetotal thing because of muh degeneracy
>>
>>84746986
>>84747003
And Jewish. I saw one of his shows once. Not really funny. He just talked for about an hour, no real jokes or anything. Shame, loved him on Buzzcocks.

>>84746815
He's become such a smug fuck that I've grown to hate him as a person, but I still love his comedy. The Office and Extras was great, Life's Too Short was really funny. Derek though? The fuck happened there? How did that get so many series?

I also really like his podcasts with Karl Pilkington even though he's too much of a dick to him at times, and often tries to look really educated and smart.

His stand up is okay. Can be really funny, but sometimes he just goes into a 30 minute rant at how stupid religion is. We get it, you're an atheist.
>>
>>84746582
the babycop isn't a fucking british comedian
>>
>>84746760

his standup is pretty good
>>
>>84747058
>>84747112
>And Jewish

I knew he was Jewish from the (in hindsight really depressing) Amy Winehouse episode

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5nea1_amy-winehouse-on-never-mind-the-buz_music
>>
>>84746106
Saw Frankie Boyle live and he was pretty poor, desu. Managed to catch Jimmy Carr before he took off and he was fucking incredible.

Bill Bailey's still great, his shows are still pretty full-on and he changes stuff up a lot. Eddie Izzard, on the other hand, really doesn't do it for me any more, hasn't got the energy and the rambling doesn't really go anywhere any more.
>>
File: 1479848455530.jpg (256KB, 604x527px) Image search: [Google]
1479848455530.jpg
256KB, 604x527px
>>84746197
>>84746582
>>84747120
>>
>>84746448
>Micky Flanagan's DVD's make me fucking wet myself, he's amazing.

i really really don't believe you
>>
>>84747190
DUDE OFFENSIVE JOKES AND SOCIAL COMMENTRAY LMAO
LET'S GET POLITICAL!!!!!!
Frankie's lost it these past few years unfortunately, he doesn't have any particular interesting views so hearing him rant is boring, and so much of his offensive materiel is just meant to be shocking to normalfags, but fails at being actually funny
>>
Graham Norton

fite me
>>
>>84746106
HIS HAIR IS STUPID LMAO XD
>>
>>84747112
To be fair to Amstell it more of a one man stage show advertised as a stand up show by promoters

It's very depressing
>>
>>84746259
Russell Brand was better when he was on the gear
>>
>>84746782
>It's a shame about some of his DVDs though because he got unlucky and got a terrible audience. Lots of awkward silence after punchlines.
I know right? A bad audience can ruin a stand-up DVD so much. Maybe it's just me but it really bothers me when comedians do good stand-up but the audience is just not "in the zone" or whatever. Makes me cringe watching stand-up DVDs and the audience just doesn't seem to get it, hardly applauds, only gives a small chuckle every now and then. Must be terrible for the comedian too because he knows this is the show that's being filmed and sold, while he probably had much more amazing audience appreciation earlier on in the tour. I've seen it with Sean Lock, I've seen it with Bill Bailey, they're being genuinely hilarious but the crowd's not giving them anything.

>>84747285
I suppose he's not for everyone but I love that cockney geezer. His whole "out out" routine is priceless, and he has a routine about the awkwardness of passing your neighbour who you don't really know that well too many times in one day that makes me laugh. I love it when comedians do stuff about social awkwardness because I relate to it so well. His peeping tom bit is also great. Like I said, maybe not for everyone but I really enjoy Flanagan and I'm still waiting on another DVD, been years now.
>>
File: chubbybrown.jpg (28KB, 615x374px) Image search: [Google]
chubbybrown.jpg
28KB, 615x374px
>PAKIS LOL
>>
>>84747717
It's depressing that it's not stand up, or it's just a depressing show?
>>
>>84746782
A good comedian rallies the audience
>>
>>84746418
Kevin Bridges has got a LONG career in comedy ahead of him, he's still relatively young and if he's this funny now he's got it all going for him.

>>84746550
I guess because I'm English and more familiar with Scottish and Geordie accents it's much easier to understand, though sometimes it still can make no fucking sense to me when I've had a few drinks.
>>
>>84747868
A depressing show

Amstell is a neurotic robot it seems IRL
>>
>>84746610
To be fair he was good in Pheonix Nights.
But for me that's literally it, his live shit is insufferable.
>>
>>84746275
officially - /reddit/ "i think i'm intelligent" the comedian
>>
>>84747876
It doesn't help if the audience sandbags the Comedian
>>
>>84747928
GARLIC BREAD?
>>
>>84746782
8 Out Of 10 Cats Does Countdown is easily the best comedy panel show of the last decade.
It's something I can sit and watch with my parents, infact I think it's the ONLY thing I've watched with my parents in the past few years.
>>
>>84747928
Thats because he had Neil Fitzmaurice and Dave Spikey helping him write the show with Paddy McGuinness chipping in
>>
>>84746106
I hate them all so much. Every single one.

I like Ian Hislop. He's not a comedian. I like Ed Byrne. He's Irish.

The rest are all so horrible and have been doing the same act since 2005.

Okay, Hugh Dennis is okay.
>>
>>84747717
That's the impression I got. I caught it on telly few years ago. It wasn't stand-up, it was just him talking about his life and yeah it was kinda depressing. But I get it now, he just wanted to talk openly for an hour and promoters advertised it as stand-up, invoking the idea that it would be funny and light-hearted while it was neither.

>>84747565
Does Graham Norton do stand-up? Must've been a while ago. Is it any good? I like him as the host of his chatshow, he's very funny and very quick and very good at keeping the show going while he's sat there with 3-5 high-profile celebrities. I can't believe it's an easy job but he's great at it. My favourite comedy chatshow host by far. Jonathan Woss can go fuck himself and Alan Carr was never funny, which is why his chatshow got cancelled.
>>
File: Rachel Chilli.webm (886KB, 350x400px) Image search: [Google]
Rachel Chilli.webm
886KB, 350x400px
>>84747983
Cats Does Countdown was good to start with, but is WAY too far up it's own arse these days
>>
>>84747717
>It's very depressing

It's not even funny. He literally just bitches about his autism and I have no sympathy because I hate him so much.
>>
>>84747973
Stranraer!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RdniJsYhdw
>>
>>84748042
>Does Graham Norton do stand-up? Must've been a while ago. Is it any good?

He probably doesn't anymore, but he used to and I remember liking it
>>
>>84747879
I do like Bridges, I've seen him on panel shows and stuff and he's pretty good and I agree he's got a long career ahead of him. I freaked out when I found out he's still quite young. Especially when he was starting out years ago I'd catch him on tv and he'd be about 24 but looking like he's nearing 40.
Anyway, I'll try some of his stand-up again. It's just weird having to really focus completely on what a comedian's saying. It's not something I'd have on in the background, I'd have to completely concentrate if I want to understand what he's saying
>>
File: 1499033920062.jpg (33KB, 615x409px) Image search: [Google]
1499033920062.jpg
33KB, 615x409px
Right, Rockbusters...ye get three cloos.
>>
Kevin Bridges is on another level to everyone else IMO.
>>
>>84747983
I feel its pretty awful now Jon and Sean look like dont want to be there, just show up for the money. Then that Joe guy does something autisticly unfunny to kill half the run time
>>
>>84747876
>>84747954
Yeah, it's not always the comedian's fault. The crowd could just be a bit off. Comedians go on about it all the time, sometimes there's real magic going on at a gig, and sometimes you're just unlucky and you're stuck with a mostly stoic audience who might appreciate your stuff but they don't fucking let the comedian know. It's just a shame that the latter sometimes happens when they record the DVD of the tour. I hate watching a good comedian die on stage because of a shit audience
>>
>>84748260
No such thing as a shit audience. What's more likely, 1 man bombing or 10000 people all being dicks who paid money to not be entertained?
>>
>>84747983
>>84748059
>>84748223
I love Cats does Countdown. I'd never expected it to kick off so well as it did, but it's funny and it keeps getting recommissioned. In fact it got so popular that they stopped doing the original 8 out of 10 cats for like 1,5 years and focused solely on the Countdown spin-off. A shame, because I used to love 8 out of 10 cats but now it's back and the team captains are Rob Beckett and Aisling Bea who are mediocre at best, and the guest comedians are all literally who's.

Anyway Cats does Countdown is just really good fun because the banter is great, and you can play along at home if you want. I do think the whole "Jimmy does something silly in 30 seconds while the contestants are working" is a bit juvenile though. But man, their props department must be a great place to work if you're a prop maker.

>>84748223
>that Joe guy does something autisticly unfunny to kill half the run time
They stopped getting him in as Rachel's assistant a couple of series ago. He's a regular player now and he's much better doing that.

>I feel its pretty awful now Jon and Sean look like dont want to be there, just show up for the money.
I don't believe that's true. Jon looks like he fucking loves the game. Sean's always done the whole "why am I even here" thing, even in the original 8 out of 10 cats, I think it's mostly a stage persona thing.
What does bother me is that Jon and Sean hardly ever appear on the same show together, they always get guest captains in. Makes you wonder if they had a falling out or something.
>>
>>84748329
Yet I'm watching the DVD at home and laughing my arse off. I think there's more to it than that. If the show starts off awkwardly and with little applause, it's likely to stay that way. While if the show starts off with the crowd really getting into it the atmosphere changes for the better. I've been to a few live gigs and it's a weird phenomenon.
>>
>>84748518
Aisling is a lot better than people give her credit for, mostly because the show requires she be the token feminist (which is an annoying role to fill)
>>
>>84746455
Brian Blessed biopic when?
>>
>>84749160
>Brian Blessed biopic

It'd basically just be a 90 minute "Making Of..Tarzan"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3azgXqdeh28
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuCZdR6V1EU
>>
>>84746582
Because only failed drama students become comedians these days
>>
>>84749227
>that accent

u wot m8?
>>
>>84748260
>>84748329
I recently re-watched the last two Bill Bailey DVDs, Dandelion Mind (2010) and Qualmpeddler (2013). His material in both shows is good but the audience worked very differently in both DVDs. In Dandelion Mind they raved at him from the start, and constant laughs and applause throughout (filmed in Dublin, maybe that makes a difference). In Qualmpeddler he gets applause when he appears on stage and then almost nothing afterwards. You can actually watch the two and compare how much an audience can influence the vibe of a gig.
And the weirdest thing is, I actually saw Bill Bailey's Qualmpeddler show live when he toured Europe and the entire audience was absolutely loving it, me included. So genuinely, an audience can have a massive effect on the quality of the gig. Can also have to do with the place the gig's being performed in. Comedians have gone on record saying they love touring up north because the vibe is just much better. They've also said that certain days of the week bring different results, like weekdays are great because people took time off to go and see a stand-up show, but fridays and saturdays can be a bit weird because half the audience is already pissed from after-work drinks before they arrived at the gig. There's so many things affecting the quality of a gig, it's not just the comedian being shit (though that can happen), it's also the place the audience is in at that moment etc.
>>
>>84746782
When did he turn into walter white?
>>
>>84749227
>>84749308
That's actually one of the few clips of him where I can understand what he's saying.
>>
>>84746550

Peter Kay is a genuine talent.

Phoenix nights was great, Car Share was actually decent.

I get the hate but I think people are absolutely wrong and have terrible taste.

Compared to pretty much anyone who frequents the usual panel show trash he's leagues ahead in terms of actual writing and presence.

I've really grown to hate British comedy. It has gone absolutely no where in the last ten years. It's still all the same guys taking the same morally indignant tone taking cheap shots at oaf politicians and fads. They almost all take themselves way too seriously. It's hard to express why exactly but I can't stand mock the week.

It's all really pedestrian. I'm not looking for edge but these comics in this country have no substance or honesty to them. None of them should be getting paid more than 20 quid to do a show at the back of a pub and yet somehow they're filling fucking arenas.
>>
>>84746782
>>84749723
I honestly thought he was seriously ill or something. Hadn't been on the show for a while and all (think he was in 5 of the recent 25 episodes). Turns out he was touring the country though which explains his absence from the show. And after the initial shock I actually quite like this new look
>>
>>84746760

It's the same as his presenting which is 'I'm an almost 40 year old gay man pretending to be a sardonic 15 year old public school boy'
>>
>>84747983
>8 Out Of 10 Cats Does Countdown is easily the best comedy panel show of the last decade.
Agreed. I love everything about it. But don't forget about Would I Lie To You because that's incredible too. The format is just brilliant and David Mitchell and Lee Mack work perfectly as opposing team captains. Bob Mortimer fucking kills me every time he tells a story, and Greg Davies is pretty top tier too. They also get some pretty good guests sometimes like Charles Dance. And who would've thought Ray Winstone would be this funny on a panel show
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UHroj3Ld0g
Starts at about 0:55
Try and ignore Josh Widdecombe to the left there, the unfunniest cunt on the comedy scene.
>>
>>84750027
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxLxlCUGgNQ

tfw my fetish is something David Mitchell considers "too weird" to be real
>>
Dylan Moran
Ed Byrne
Dara O Briaian

Basically only like the Irish. Englosh standup is universally shite
>>
>>84750199
I had the same moment there. I get to sleep on ASMR. But I totally get how someone like David Mitchell would be completely weirded out by it
>>
>>84750027
>Greg Davies

I was a teacher
kids are shit lmao

Terrible comedian
>>
>>84750223
Not so keen on Ed Byrne, he's very hit or miss for me. But Dylan Moran is a legend, I absolutely love his style of comedy, saw him live once and it was an amazing experience. Dara is also really good. People give him shit because of Mock the Week (which has turned from "enjoyable" to "why the fuck do they still commission this" in recent years) and the fact he ends a lot of jokes with an unique EEEEEEH sound (which I think he uses to judge whether applause is imminent or not, and if it's not, he carries on). He's not great on telly but his gigs are fantastic, I don't think any comedian does audience interaction better than Dara O'Briain. He's so great at off-the-cuff stuff that he basically only writes half a show and the other half comes from his interactions with the audience.
>>
>>84750390
You're describing Romesh Ranganathan there, who's comedy solely focuses on his hatred for children and of course his ethnicity. Greg Davies is actually properly funny, especially on panel shows like WILTY.
>>
>>84746782
what the hell happened Sean?
>>
Katherine Ryan

I know she's not technically British, but she is on the shows enough
>>
>>84749928
He does it very well in fairness
>>
>>84750495
Taskmaster is fucking great
>>
>>84750653
Yeah, love that show. Seeing comedians do the most mundane and ridiculous tasks while being openly ridiculed by Davies is great. Hope we get another series.
>>
Al Murray
>>
>>84750737
His proving the existence of God is kino
>>
>>84750737
gtfffffo
>>
>>84746305
This guy's underrated. One of the very few "young" comedians knocking about at the moment. I like his stage persona. Comes across as slow and aloof but is actually pretty funny. Not that big yet though I think. Does he have a DVD out?
>>
File: ClaudiaWinklemanWS1.jpg (15KB, 200x300px) Image search: [Google]
ClaudiaWinklemanWS1.jpg
15KB, 200x300px
Claudia Winkleman is surprisingly sexy and funny
>>
>>84751171
I've not heard of her. What's she done?
>>
>>84751171
I personally can't stand her whenever I see her on panel shows, she's so incredibly hyper and goofy. She is well hot though and I love her look where she has her hair down and her eyes are just covered in eyeliner. It does something for me
>>
>>84751202
Crap British tv shows, and Jewish men
>>
>>84751202
She's a presenter rather than a comedian really, but she comes on panel shows and stuff. She presents Strictly Come Dancing.
>>
>>84751268
But they always have a hyper goofy one nowadays. And she's the best of that group.

She's better than Mel & Sue at least
>>
i know it's not stand up but harry and paul is essential british comedy viewing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8m-4MWQxbk
>>
>make a joke about The Tories
>Audience laughs and cheers

>Stephen 'boipoussy' fry makes a cheeky homosexual joke
>Audience laughs and cheers

>Joe brand makes a joke about her husband and her vagina
>Audience laughs

>High dennis makes a stupid face after a joke
>Audience laughs

>Russell "lol Muslim raygunz' Howard uses a YouTube video for a pun
>14 year old audience shit them selves laughing

>Frankie Boyle rants about how rape isn't !Muslim culture on stage and how he's not a racist (I've seen this in person at a show)
>Audience claps and cheers
>proceeds to call a woman a whore and to throw herself off the balcony (I've seen this live too- same show)

>Andy Parsons creeps on stage as if he's about to tell a dad joke
>Audience murmurs an expectant laugh

Etc.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIasNXy9Lwk

Reminder that Claudia is literally the best actress of our generation
>>
>>84751397
RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE FACKIN ROAD
>>
I remember when the last Harry Potter title came out, I think it was Harry Potter and the Crock of Shit. Remember that?
>crowd sniggers
Or Harry Potter and the Mitten of Wool?
>audible guffaws
Or Harry Potter and the Stick of Wood.
>camera zooms in on a guy with a beet red face
Or Harry Potter and the Forest of Embarrassment.
>wine is literally coming out the audiences nose
Or Harry Potter and the meh meh meh.
>several people die of laughter
Anyway, I was in Tesco’s, and they were literally delivering the new Harry Potter books on forklift trucks, on pallets, into the supermarket. "Get your books! Pile up the books! Get a multi-pack of books! Why not take an extra book home, put it in the freezer?"
>one guy shouts "You show em StewLee"
You know, those Harry Potter books, you know they’re for children, don’t you? They’re aimed at children. People do that to me, "Have you read the new Harry Potter book, Stew, it’s good, have you read it?" No, I haven’t read it, because I’m a forty-year-old man.
>whooping hollering
"You should read it, Stew, it’s about a wizard in a school." I’m not reading it! I’m a grown— I’m an adult! "Have you read Harry Potter, Stew, and the— and the Tree of Nothing?"
>giggling resumes
No, I haven’t.
>the audience is primed
I haven’t read it, but I have read the complete works of the romantic poet and visionary William Blake.
>three English PHDs toss roses on the stage
So fuck off.
>The arena goes wild
>>
>>84751739
>>84746275
>>
>>84751397
Whatever happened to them, are they past it? Last time I saw them was this weird one-off for the 50 year anniversary of BBC2 or something, filled with sketches about existing panel shows and they just basically slagged every single comedian on the circuit off. Came across as a desperate attempt to regain some fame, it was really pathetic.
Panel shows are the future for tv comedy Harry and Paul, it's cheap as fuck to do and it gets the ratings. If you feel like you're too good for panel shows, fuck off then. But I really doubt you're gonna get another sketch show now.

Then I saw Enfield in that Shakespeare sitcom with David Mitchell and he basically sits in a chair in the corner shouting abuse ever three minutes. Dead career mate.
>>
>>84746106
Richard Ayoade
>>
File: 1476558741994.jpg (21KB, 318x405px) Image search: [Google]
1476558741994.jpg
21KB, 318x405px
>>84746106
Are there really any UK comedians that could compare to Colin Quinn or Dave Attell? Our comedy scene is dire compared to the US
>>
>>84751739
Sounds like him alright. Unfunny cunt. Plus the whole "HP is for children duh, why do adults like it" thing's been done to death.
>>
Claudia is so unbearably sexy

TPT-tier
>>
Who's worse?

-Russel Howard
-Joe Wilkinson
-Milton Jones
-Sarah Millican
>>
>>84751968
What's wrong with Milton Jones?
>>
File: he come out stew.jpg (308KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
he come out stew.jpg
308KB, 1280x720px
>>84751871
True. The state of mainstream British comedy is embarrassing. We don't have the equivalent of a Bill Burr or Colin Quinn because when everyone already agrees with you there's nothing to work with. Where do you go from there?
>Isn't it funny how we all do this thing? Ha ha ha!
>We all have so much in common! If only we could all love each other the way this crowd does
>applause and wooooos
>alright, where's the next stadium?
>>
>>84751968
>Sarah Millican

i want to be jo brand.png
>>
>>84751968
Howard
>>
>>84746815

The XFM shows, the podcasts, The Office and Extras are amazing but he really needs to work with Steve again, Derek was bad. I have some of his stand ups on DVD and they're pretty good, saw his latest one live the other day and it was hilarious, definitely the best thing he's done in a while.
>>
>>84751863
Does he do stand-up? I can't picture that at all. I really like him on panel shows though, and gadget man. Travel man isn't that great to be honest. Go back to gadgets and weird voice-overs for scene changes.
And now he's presenting The Crystal Maze I hear? Bit of a weird career choice after starring in a really popular sitcom for which he got an award, being a regular guest on many comedy panel shows, presenting several shows ranging from technology gadgets and travel, oh and fucking directing his own film for the first time, which was really well-received.

And now he's greeting people on The Crystal Maze with a fake extendable hand.
>>
>>84751863
>>84752076
Reminder that Richard Ayoade was in that Nickleback song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1hgVcNzvzY

Mandem is versatile
>>
>>84752015
Just another cunt trying to jump on the "lol I'm so quirky and weird" humour bandwagon.
>>
>>84751968
Russel Howard is not only unfunny, but completely unbearable to watch. Does he still have that show where he watches youtube clips with the audience and pretends that this is original comedy?

Joe Wilkinson's a bro, I like him. His clowny antics on Cats does Countdown got a bit stale, but now that he's actually playing as a contestant he's pretty funny. I like the whole "homeless, creepy perv" persona.

Milton Jones? You can't hate the guy. His style of comedy is two-liners. If you don't like two-liners, he's not for you. I think he's one of the better ones on Mock the Week, and not just because the rest are shite (what is Hugh Dennis even doing there, no jokes, just randomly says the word chlamydia and gets a laugh). I looked up Milton Jones a while ago and was surprised that he's a vehement Christian, and that he doesn't always walk around in Hawaiin t-shirts and messed up hair, which I always somehow assumed he did.

Sarah Millican? Fucking hell. I guess she makes the women laugh, my mum and sister love her. Her whole act is talking about menstruation and boobs and eating chocolate. Talking about taboo lady stuff that all the women in the audience can relate to. Worse than Jo Brand.
>>
>>84752145
Where?

Also, censoring any drug references? That's just sad.
>>
>>84752145
He was also in that weird science-fiction film with Ben Stiller and Jonah Hill that nobody watched.
>>
>>84746365
>pretentious unfunny cunt
woosh
>>
>>84752383
2:11 apparently. Dunno if it's really him or just someone who looks like him.
>>
>>84751397
III, AM CONSIDERABLY RICHER, THAN YAAAOOOW.
>>
>>84752317
He just does weird two-liners. He's hardly like the others.
>>
>>84746106
Nobody tells me nothing
>>
File: frontpage-tour1.jpg (30KB, 279x400px) Image search: [Google]
frontpage-tour1.jpg
30KB, 279x400px
Not so much British as British-based, but he really is the best of them.
>>
>>84747879
>John Bishop
>Geordie
Wat
>>
>>84752145
That is definitely not him but thanks for making me watch this.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRZeYHM1GzQ
>>
>>84752415
Is that the sound of Stewart Lee's unbelievably incredible comedy flying over that anon's head?
Because you're wrong, just like all the other people thinking Stewart Lee's the second coming of Christ in comedy. It's not that people don't "get" his comedy, they do, and it's shitty and yes, pretentious. He managed to get some devout followers who praise him like the best thing ever and who pretend they're smarter than others because they do "get" him.
He's not a fucking poet. We all know his shtick. Just most of us think it's not really that funny and that's he's overrated and full of himself.
>>
>>84752561
Henning Wehn was invented by Jesus
>>
>>84752561
Alan Moore needs to see this guy.
>>
>>84746106

Dylan Moran & Tommy Tiernan are the best Brits.
>>
>>84752676
>Tommy Tiernan
He might have some jokes under all that shouting but I've never heard them
>>
>>84751899
That's the joke.
>>
>>84746784
Car share was top tier you absolute willyface
>>
>>84752676
Neither are british
>>
>>84752561
I fucking love Henning Wehn. Brought a nice breath of fresh air into the comedy circuit. He's genuinely hilarious but hasn't fallen into the pitfall of "I'm from Germany so every single line of material I write must be about me being from Germany", the way, you know, all female comedians do "I'm a woman, so every single line of material I write must be about being a woman. Oh and that men are pigs. Oh and I have a vagina."

Henning's a genius. He plays the German card infrequently enough to make it good when he does.
>"Well....third time lucky, they say"

Or on The Unbelievable Truth where he had to write an essay on Poland and he starts with
>"Poland, was, is and always will be an integral part of the Fatherland"
>>
>>84752676
who?
>>
>>84752624
>that time on The Unbelievable Truth where he started his lecture with that line and it actually turned out to be true
>>
>>84752805
His stories on WILTY are always the best. He always spins them as the most bizarre things and they are almost always true, it's amazing.
>>
>>84752701
Shouting? All I've seen of Tiernan is him mumbling incoherenly. He might be funny, I dunno, I can't hear him.

>>84752676
Dylan Moran is one of the greats, definitely.

Also, yeah guys, they're Irish, not Brits.
>>
>>84752874
Him and Bob Mortimer are my favourite guests on WILTY. The fucking stories they come up with, hand-lion, grotesque rubber masks to wear to bed for warmth, Henning's extraordinary journey with Muhammad and his mysterious briefcase.
And yeah, like 90% of the time it's completely true
>>
>>84746782
Hey man didn't know you browsed 4chan too

(John here btw)
>>
>>84752996
We do beg your pardon, but we are in your garden

Almost crying with laughter trying to type that
>>
>>84753026
>Jon Richardson spelling his name wrong
This is some meta-level shit going on.

>>84753103
Fuck me that was one the best ones, and completely true as well. Loved how Mitchell tried it out. That and the lads holiday with the rubber masks and Sergeant Bytheway always make me laugh.
>>
>>84753273
Lovely lad, had a very big head. Sniper's Dream we used to call him
And Neil Overall, Jerry Dungaree's son
>>
File: IMG_2980.jpg (505KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2980.jpg
505KB, 1920x1080px
Virtually unwatchable.
>>
>>84753596
It's completely unwatchable.
>>
>>84753345
I mean, we all know Bob's stories even if they're true, are coated with little lies like that but I fucking love it. Love how the man's brain works. Vic and Bob are so, so good. Bring back Shooting Stars for fuck's sake!

>the one where he burned the house down with fireworks and the press turn up
Yeah, I think he was called Ron Waffle. Few minutes later John Caramel shows up.

Meanwhile Mitchell's going ballistic. CARAMEL AND WAFFLE!!

WILTY is my favourite panel show, especially now they've done it for a while and found some people who're great for the show so they keep getting invited again. Hope it lasts a long time because fuck me the amount of literal laugh out loud moments I have waching that show
>>
Dara O Britain
>>
>>84753694
Watching that clip now
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rqmd39GdDww
This, the hand lion, and theft and shrubbery
>>
>>84748174
Yeah but it's not Rockbusters though is it.
>>
File: ehh.jpg (15KB, 460x276px) Image search: [Google]
ehh.jpg
15KB, 460x276px
>>84753736
ehh
I'm Dara O Briain at this point or whatever ehh
>>
>>84746106
As an American, Jimmy Carr is pretty funny. Watching him make fun of Scots is a good time.
>>
>>84747844

I saw Chubbs chuck a glass at a heckler. He must be the most thin-skinned comedian going.
>>
>>84753596
What is the point of it. Does it get amazing viewer ratings or something? I am clueless as to how the hell this gets recommissioned every time.

Josh Widdecombe is such an unfunny cunt, how the fuck did he get onto tv? Alex Brooker has some kind of illness where it is physically impossible for him to say a single sentence without making reference to his disability. Adam Hills is alright, but simply not funny.

There is no chemistry there, the jokes are incredibly bad and they have to start their own applauses by clapping at each other's jokes, praying to god that the audience joins in which they rarely do because the programme's shite.
They sometimes get some decent guests on but I'm convinced that's their agent talking them into it because of exposure, that it looks good if you go on a show about disabled people, and because of the ratings. But the ratings are like 1,5-2 million.

Fuck the Bermuda Triangle mystery, I want to know how the fuck this is still on air.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLIE7XqgnvE
>>
Do you know of any comedians who hang out together and are friends? Excluding the double acts for obvious reasons.
I really like how Sean Lock and Bill Bailey have been friends for decades. They go on holiday together and everything. Think Alan Davies and Bailey are also quite close and go scuba-diving together.
>>
I'm more interested in rivalries and bad tension among comedians. I read David Mitchell's autobiography and he mentions a comedian he's been on telly with, and Mitchell goes on a bit of a rant about how he thinks this comedian is shit, genuinely unfunny and annoying to work with. He never mentions a name or gender, or tv show. He just says "if any fellow comedians bought this book and are reading this right now, maybe it's you. We'll never know". Since reading that I've become obsessed with finding out who Mitchell was referring to. I've been watching every panel show he's on, any sitcom, anything just to see if I can spot a glint of annoyance in his eyes when working with someone. I'm still not sure who he was talking about.
>>
>>84751812
>Panel shows are the future for tv comedy
imagine having a brain that allegedly works in this manner
>>
>>84753788
I watch him a lot, never picked up on the ehhhs.
>>
>>84754680
It's true though. Not saying I agree with it. But panel shows are cheap as fuck to make. Just need a studio and some comedians. Why do you think we have so few sketch shows these days? Because the BBC and Channel4 realised that they can get away with panel shows. People love them, they get a great number of viewers, and it's fucking cheap to produce compared to sketch shows and sitoms. Simple as that.
>>
>>84746106
None, there stand ups are pure shit. However their sketches are much better. Probably the best in the English speaking world.
>>
>>84753694
Lee and David really make the show. Couldn't really imagine it without them. Not going out might be terrible but Lee's so ridiculously quick and funny. I'd like Angus back though. Rob just never quite does it for me.
>>
>>84755067
There's a decent amount of good stand-up. But I do love a good sketch show. I think Armstrong and Miller are my favourites. I love this short sketch, it's 30 seconds long but it's perfect. I always worry whether people get the joke or not, but this is just comedy gold:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXDOk0vq4aI

Crazy Paving is another one of my all-time Armstrong/Miller sketches, I just love how the English bloke keeps getting more and more flustered about the language barrier before screaming CRAZY! PAVING!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXaLdeKfbD4
>>
>>84755917
My favourite Armstrong and Miller is probably the exam invigilator sketches, as I did used to wonder what they got up to at the back of the room.
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ufc4WHODaRs
>>
>>84755835
David and Lee do make the show yeah. The whole working class/middle class thing they've got going on (while they're both middle class) works very well. Some of the best moments come from their stories, especially when possessions are involved.
Mitchell always gets something middle/upper class thing like a travel bathrobe/a little bell he rang when over at his grandparents to alert them that he wanted orange squash etc. Something entirely believable.
And then Mack always gets shit like "I can smell when there's a dead fly in the room" or "I can tell the circumference of anyone's head just by looking at them", and literally everyone knows it's a lie and it's now just all about seeing how Mack deals with this shitty situation. That's where the comedy comes from.

>Not going out might be terrible but Lee's so ridiculously quick and funny.
Seriously, he's incredibly fast and off-the-cuff and it's really good.

I disagree about Rob Brydon though. I never warmed to Angus and I think he got in trouble like three times for sex scandals (no pedophilia or anything), so the Beeb had to replace him like they did with HIGNFY. I like Rob, he's a very lovable character and the moments where they all take the piss out of him for his impressions are gold.
>>
>>84755835
>>84756254
>Rob just never quite does it for me.
My problem with Rob is he gets too involved with the panellists. I know its not an actual gameshow, but your the host stop cross examining the liars.
>>
>>84752615
>t. someone who doesn't realise ALL comedians are left-wing, not just the ones who are obviously so
>>
>>84756004
That one was really good yeah. As well as the pharmacy one where there's a huge line and it's taking ridiculously long. Great stab at annoyingly slow personnel. Miller goes to investigate and when he opens the door to the storage it's just 12 or so dudes playing cricket, not giving a fuck.

Armstrong and Miller Show had some really great sketches. Though I thought the RAF pilots using modern yourh speech etc got stale really fast.
The infomercials starring depressed looking people talking about how their life turned to shit after a divorce/drug problem/prison sentence, and then proclaiming "And that's why I decided to become a teacher" always got me going.
Every "kill them" sketch.
The dentist sketches where Armstrong starts recounting tales of anal fisting to Miller in the patient's chair while Armstrong's hand is just completely inside Miller's mouth etc.
>>
>>84747929
What's intelligent comedy then, if Lee doesn't apply. He's written a reasonably well-received novel, an award-winning opera, he's got a well-liked column in the observer, he read English Lit at Oxford despite coming from the precise centre of the British class system, he's had a hand in the formation of many other threads of British comedy, writing with Chris Morris and Armando Ianucci and developing Steve Coogan's Alan Partridge. Like, what more do you want? But yeah fine, he's /reddit/, OK.
>>
>>84751417
>whyyy are all comedians lefties???
because the five or six right wing comedians that actually exist are painfully unfunny
>>
>>84756390
Eh, he's just joining in. Wouldn't be much fun if he just explained the rules and was quiet for the rest of the episode. I like when Rob gets into it and asks some questions. I also love the Rob possession moments. Who can look at Rob Brydon and Nick Hewer (reluctantly) getting into a two-person cuddling sweater and not laugh
>>
>>84746760
he's very, very funny
>>
>>84751739
>Have you read Harry Potter, Stew, and the— and the Tree of Nothing?
i actually read this in his voice and laughed, because this is actually one of his bits and I remember the timing with which the line is delivered

say what you will about stew, but he can hold a room in rapture while doing less than any other comedian.

he makes other comedians look like amateurs, simply because he's been doing it so long he can play an audience like an instrument
>>
>>84756538
>And that's why I decided to become a teacher
I'd forgotten them. The bitter failed athlete reduced to being the games teacher was pretty accurate desu.
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwDknTtkVdc&list=PLE77ED09F9874FA10
>>
File: v2-stewart-lee.jpg (92KB, 2048x1213px) Image search: [Google]
v2-stewart-lee.jpg
92KB, 2048x1213px
>>84747929
>Le reddid boogie man
Keep it up you're really fitting in
>>
I love Michael McIntrye and I don't understand why so many comedians openly declare their hatred of him. Is it simply jealousy at the fact that he's making millions and millions?

The main argument I hear is that his comedy isn't "substantial" or "deep". It's good old-fashioned observational comedy that resonates with the every-man who can relate to his comedy. When did people decide comedy should be deep and thought-provoking? McIntyre is a comedian. He tell jokes and stories and it makes audiences laugh. Isn't that what comedy is all about?
>>
>>84756999
He's probably the British Jimmy Fallon when you put it that way, safe humour which is relatively popular. But everyone's apparently so angry now you should be raging against the machine and trying to make a point with comedy.
>>
File: kevin eldon.jpg (48KB, 863x575px) Image search: [Google]
kevin eldon.jpg
48KB, 863x575px
Anyone know this guy? Called Kevin Eldon. He must be some D-list comedian because the only thing he does is sometimes show up in sitcoms for one episode, or as an extra with one line in sketch shows, yet he calls himself a comedian. Can't imagine him making enough money to life off of. I don't know much about him but either he's married to a rich woman or he works at Tesco's on the side. That or I'm horribly mistaken and he used to be big in the 80's or something and now just slivered into the background.
>>
>>84756999
Same reason film critics and other people in the movie industry hate directors who just make safe, crowd-pleasing blockbusters reliably.

>It's nawt ART!!!
>No boundary pushin!!!
>Muh innovation

So yes, mainly jealousy coupled with a smug sense of superiority over a comedian that isn't as """cutting edge""" as they are.
>>
>>84754033
Racists usually are thin-skinned as fuck desu. Can give it but can't take it, hence /pol/.
>>
>>84757119
I don't really follow US comedians but I've heard that name.
I just don't see what's wrong with observational comedy, I don't see why people are up in arms against McIntyre. Why is there a need to be angry at the world, the politicians etc. Comedy, in my mind, is supposed to make you laugh, to make you forget for a bit that the world's quite shit. I'd much rather listen to Michael McIntyre's talks about awkward social situations or the way the spices in your kitchen cupboard like paprika or cumin feel underused when compared to salt and pepper than listening to the millionth jab at Trump.

The worst thing is that the public obviously love him as his tours sell out in minutes, but it's his fellow comedians who condemn him. Honestly, I can't think of any other reason than sheer jealousy at his immense popularity and the fact that he's made over 30 million pounds in five years just by touring.
>>
American here. Of the ones I've seen, I'd say Roy Chubby Brown.

>My uncle just got struck off the medical register for having sex with his patients. Tt's a real shame, cause he's a really good vet.

>A young lad was staying with his aunt and uncle for the week. One night, he asks, "Uncle, what's the difference between a 'vagina' and a 'cunt.'"?

>"I'll show ya, lad!" replies his uncle.

>So he takes the lad to the bedroom, where the aunt is passed out sodding drunk, and lifts up her dress. "You see lad? That's a vagina!"

>"Wow!" exclaims the lad.

>"Hush, lad!" scolds the uncle, "Or you'll wake the cunt up!"
>>
>>84746106
Sumone from Lundin' called foryu
>>
>>84757506
Yeah Kevin Elson is a part of the Chris Morris, Armando Iannucci, Stewart Lee comedy mafia. He often shows up in their works. He's a good comedy actor and also works with Simon Pegg and crew.
>>
>>84757623
>Same reason film critics and other people in the movie industry hate directors who just make safe, crowd-pleasing blockbusters reliably.
I think that's it really. McIntyre delivers well-received gigs enjoyed by the masses. But what's wrong with a "blockbuster" comedian? There's other comedians making good fucking money while also trying to be "edgy" or different/controversial. McIntyre's just harmless fun. It just kinda annoys me that in every panel show or something they slag him off, while he's just doing his job as a comedian, making people laugh.

I remember that the sitcom Outnumbered took a jab at him. Found the clip on youtube but the quality's horrible. Anyway, you get the gist, many a comedian likes to hate on McIntyre for no excusable reason:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQfREURpaFo
>>
>>84758036
That Armando Ianucci show was so fucking good. Surreal and hilarious. Might just watch some of that now
Thread posts: 206
Thread images: 21

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.