[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Dune KINO?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3

File: 960.jpg (72KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
960.jpg
72KB, 960x540px
Well /tv/, is it? I've been meaning to read the books, but I'm also intrigued by the movie. Did the critics lie?
>>
>>84732549
It can't be kino because it's based on one of the dullest franchises in the history of book franchises. Each volume following the Muad'Dib and his orbiters from the Fremen as they fight assorted villains has been indistinguishable from the others. Aside from the gloomy imagery, the series’ only consistency has been its lack of excitement and ineffective use of written prose, all to make Spice unspiced, to make action seem inert.

Perhaps the die was cast when Herbert vetoed the idea of Lucas directing the adaptation; he made sure the series would never be mistaken for a work of art that meant anything to anybody - just ridiculously profitable cross-promotion for his books. The Dune series might be anti-Christian (or not), but it’s certainly the anti-Lord of the Rings series in its refusal of wonder, beauty and excitement. No one wants to face that fact. Now, thankfully, they no longer have to.

>a-at least the books were good though r-right
"No!"
The writing is dreadful; the book was terrible. As I read, I noticed that every time a character went for a walk, the author wrote instead that the character "rode a sandworm."

I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Herbert's mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that he has no other style of writing. Later I read a lavish, loving review of Dune by J.K. Rowling. She wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are reading Dune at 31 or 32, then when they get older they will go on to read J.K. Rowling." And she was quite right. She was not being ironic. When you read "Dune" you are, in fact, trained to read J.K. Rowling.
>>
>>84732588

HEY

HEY

YOU STOP THAT RIGHT NOW
>>
>>84732549
>literally opens with talking head giving exposition
>kino
>>
Nah. As a fan of the books it doesn't portray it well. But then again Dune is considered unfilmable.
>>
>>84732686
Why though? What's the difference between that sci-fi book and others? Is it the setting? The length of the story?
>>
>>84732588
This is the most truthful thing ever said about Dune.
>>
>>84732549
Is it what?
>>
>>84732549
>>84732588
Did you just post a question to reply to yourself
>>
>>84732717
It's very islamic and they use swords instead of laser guns
>>
>>84732717
The retarded fans for some reason have bizarre pretensions about this particular science fiction series. In truth, Dune is probably one of the most filmable because the world is highly visual - filled with deserts, weird cults, strange creatures. Compare it to something like Lord of Light where the non-linear story, the ambiguous history, and most of the interest is in the use of myth and language, and you'll see Lord of Light is infinitely more difficult to film despite the apparent similarities between the books. Dune is ok but the fans are retards.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IF_0W1cYPYo
>>
>>84732767
It's literally Lawrence of Arabia in space, and Lawrence of Arabia is a kino classic. If the Dune adaptations are shit, it might be because Dune itself isn't great.
>>
>>84732549
watch one of the fanedits or even the alan smithee cut, they're better.

if you don't like the current season of twin peaks, you wont like it.
>>
>>84732842
I'm not saying it would be bad, it just makes it unfilmable.

Muslims are public enemy #1 so don't expect a film that has islamic iconography and terminology to be picked up by studios - and expect retards to be asking why they're using swords in the film
>>
>>84732549
Yes, yes it is.

https://youtu.be/6-zEMitTkaU
>>
>>84732717
Half of it is inner monologues. Doesn't translate well to film. Though I suppose I am speaking more of the whole series.

>>84732842
>>84732796
Namefag get out
>>
>>84732549
DONT WATCH THE MOVIE TILL YOU READ THE BOOKS
>>
As someone who has actually read the Dune novel.

I liked the Dune movie, Lynch did the best he could do.

The movie was created for people who read the book, so I can see why people who've never read it might hate it.

Its a perfect mix of Lynch weirdness and scifi drama, what more could I want :)
>>
File: 1440085368493.jpg (37KB, 500x365px) Image search: [Google]
1440085368493.jpg
37KB, 500x365px
>>84732549

It's kino, best experience is one of the fanedits, can't remember exactly which one though.
>>
>>84733024
The Alternative Edition Redux. I can confirm.
>>
>>84733018
I'll never understand why the navigator looked like LetoII after the worms disengaged from him.
>>
>>84733045

That's the one, thanks anon!
>>
>>84732913
The muslim imagery is really superficial. The book has really little to do with islam but has a biblical reference every ten pages. Unless you are triggered by semitic souding names it's literally nothing.
As already said, Dune is literally Lawrence of Arabia in space, slightly updated by Herbert to include oil (melange) politics.
>>
>>84732717
There are tons of intrigue, courtly slights, and a metric shit-ton of double- and even triple-speak being conveyed by hand gestures, "House" languages, and dialects, not to mention heaping tons of back story.

To do it real justice would take a multi-season television epic.
>>
>>84734025
Isn't the main chracter supposed to be a descendant of one of them Anceint Greek tribes and whatnot? How does that work? Do nationalities even exist in the Dune-Verse?
>>
I don't care about the book, the movie is kino

thanks god was directed by lynch and not by the chilean hack
>>
>>84732588
Damn this copy pasta is doing marées

>>84732721
Pleb
>>
>>84734529
*marvels. Yeah I'm a shitty French phone poster, so STFU.
>>
I watched this for the first time will baked on a potent weed brownie, so I found it to be pretty awesome
>>
File: 1496272103271.jpg (70KB, 833x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1496272103271.jpg
70KB, 833x1000px
Did this fucking retard just start a conversation about a 30 year old movie he hasn't seen based on a 50 year old book he hasn't read
Jesus fucking christ I hate what humanity has become
>>
>>84734083
They can track their lineages back through ridiculous spans of time, thanks to the Bene Gesserit's records and their command of genetics.

The Bene Gesserit are a quasi-mystic "cult" of women who have been manipulating the genetic destiny of mankind for millennia. They build entire religions to serve heir ends.

Stuff like this is why a movie could never do this story justice.
>>
>>84734762
A Michelle Jones thread died for this, I agree. Here's your (you). Maybe now you'll feel like fitting in you fag.
>>
>>84734762
>what humanity has become

lel, here another (you) for a (you) addicted
>>
>>84732588
You are a fucking faggot
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.