[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Just watched pic related. Holy shit where has this movie been

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 5

File: 234.jpg (11KB, 183x275px) Image search: [Google]
234.jpg
11KB, 183x275px
Just watched pic related. Holy shit where has this movie been all my life. The sequence about the Union captain defending a bridge was one of the coolest film acts I've ever seen. The cinematography, the sets, the music - all amazing.

Also, Euro-western thread. What else should I watch? Did I screw up by watching this before the Fistful movies? Any good documentaries about these films?
>>
File: 1454446526492.jpg (192KB, 558x596px) Image search: [Google]
1454446526492.jpg
192KB, 558x596px
>>84718995
That new 4k bluray whit out the yellow filter
>>
>>84718995
>What else should I watch?
The other Leone's movies
>Did I screw up by watching this before the Fistful movies?
No, they are not related
>>
>>84718995

for something just as good if not better, once upon a time in the west
>>
>>84718995
The Outlaw Josey Wales is another great Eastwood epic. Not to mention Leone's other Westerns.
>>
File: Duck You Sucker (3).jpg (53KB, 825x355px) Image search: [Google]
Duck You Sucker (3).jpg
53KB, 825x355px
>>84718995
The rest of Leone's filmography, including Duck You Sucker.

>>84718995
>Did I screw up by watching this before the Fistful movies?
Not really, they're all independent. But it would have been better to see Leone's style evolve from the start, it's a crescendo from small movies to sheer epics.

Other spaghetti classics:
Django
The Great Silence
The Mercenary
The Big Gundown
Face to Face
Death Rides a Horse
Days of Anger
A Bullet for the General
My Name is Nobody
Keoma

>>84718995
>Any good documentaries about these films?
Just search through youtube, plenty of stuff on Leone or the genre. Typically Christopher Frayling is the anglo expert on the subject and also wrote books about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrPBB6jAZIU
>>
>>84719371
not OP, but felt the same way after watching tGtBatU, and recently tried to watch Once Upon a Time in the West. I love the way the movie looked but an hour in... nothing had happened. a family got shot and then the wife got home and was reasonably distraught over it not that it didn't make sense, it was just boring. Does it ever get more interesting?
>>
Thanks bros. I think I'll start with Once Upon a Time in the West, then go back and check out the Fistful movies.

I already picked up an e-Book on Spaghetti Westerns as well, so maybe that'll give me some ideas as well.
>>
Question
ive never watched this before do i need to watch the other 2 before this or are they single story movies and not really needed
>>
>>84720204
no they are all separate stories. the only thing they have in common is clint eastwood's character. they reuse the same actors in different roles too. don't think about it too much.
>>
>>84720334
thats what i thought
good to know im be dling this pretty soon
>>
>>84719340
>not related
"The Dollars Trilogy (Italian: Trilogia del dollaro), also known as the Man with No Name Trilogy, is a film series consisting of three Spaghetti Western films directed by Sergio Leone. The films are titled A Fistful of Dollars (1964), For a Few Dollars More (1965) and The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1966)."

pls KYS
>>
>>84718995
Is this the first western you ever watched? Or just first spaghetti western?
>>
>>84720638
I've watched Unforgiven (which I thought was great), and that's pretty much it as far as westerns go. The genre never really interested me before seeing Good, Bad and the Ugly today.
>>
>>84720569
They are indipendent stories, retard.
>>
File: christmas present.webm (908KB, 405x720px) Image search: [Google]
christmas present.webm
908KB, 405x720px
>>84718995
>he didn't like the scene between Tuco and his brother and then Tuco and Blondie after that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAICQXNeOhw
>>
>>84720705
good bad and ugly is honestly the best you're going to get. some people will go on and on about old 50s westerns because blahblah authentic western blah blah, but they aren't that good.
>>
>>84720705
John Wayne has some good western kino though none are spaghetti westerns. They have different tones as Wayne is never depicted as being in the wrong or even in a morally gray area -- at least as initially conceived. Closest thing is 'The Searchers' (1956). It's generally regarded as one of the best westerns of all time. Action packed and fast moving.
>>
>>84720705
some of the old American westerns are even better, The Searchers, Red River, Duel in the Sun, The Furies to name just a few.
>>
>>84718995
Not a western but if you loved TGtBatU you'll love Once Upon a Time in America, best Leone film imo.
>>
>>84720705
give Lonesome Dove a try...
>>
>>84720838
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly is one of the best westerns ever made but disregarding 50s and 40s westerns is a mistake.
>>
>>84721086
i've watched a couple of the popular ones and couldn't be bothered getting in any further than that because they honestly just bored me. high noon and rio bravo were the only ones i actually enjoyed
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtMmKZye1YY
>>
>>84718995
>one of the coolest film acts
It's a fucking scene, for fuck's sake.
>>
>>84720838
>John Ford, Howard Hawks, Budd Boeticher, and Anthony Mann aren't that good

I can't even imagine being this much of a pleb.
>>
>>84720798
Best scene in the whole movie. Manly feels aplenty.
>>
>>84718995
Legit questions, how old are you and did you grew up fatherless ?
>>
>>84721271
boring trash. literally capeshit of their day. old doesn't automatically mean good
>>
>>84721247
>It's a fucking scene, for fuck's sake.
There were several scenes in that act. The captain's soliloquy, the battle and return of the injured captain, the destruction of the bridge, the captain's death, and the encounter with the dying Rebel soldier.
>>
>>84721297
I'm an oldfag, and yes - product of a single mother.
>>
>>84721391
Aw shit that explains it then.
You should absolutely watch For a few dollars more after Once Upon a time in the west, it's easily on part with TGTBTU, for some people it's even better, you'll get introduced to a new based vilain
And don't forget to show those movies to your -hopefully- son one day, as soon as he's 6yo he'll be good to go
>>
>>84721352
>literally capeshit of their day

You are a literal retard if you believe this. I mean, like you just straight up don't understand anything about film if you think The Searchers or Stagecoach is equivalent to a shitty superhero movie. You should feel really, really bad about your horrible and objectively wrong opinions, Anon.
>>
>>84721565
>And don't forget to show those movies to your -hopefully- son one day, as soon as he's 6yo he'll be good to go
I have a son, and I've managed to teach him to not be a total faggot thus far, which in this day and age is a feat in itself.

He's probably shitposting right now.
>>
>>84721354
The one with the soldier is definitely a different scene, while the others are arguably part of the same scene, depending on the breakdown on the script. If anything it's a sequence, but not an act. An act is a larger narrative unit that stands on its own as part of the whole structure of the movie. The different acts usually show a change in the situation of the main character or characters within a plot. A big set-piece or sequence is not an act.
>>
So why did Blondie shoot the noose at the end, is it because there was no point in killing him?
>>
>>84721619
yea man westerns were high art cinema, lol. they were the 40s and 50s equivalent to capeshit, big dumb action movies for morons.
>>
>>84721660
you fucked up.
>>
>>84721705
Hollywood movies were smarter back then. There's really no sense comparing classic films to modern focus group, made for China trash.
>>
>>84721733
smarter? yes. just as bad as capeshit? yes
>>
>>84720569
you can actually watch them with no order, they are not related with each other
>>
>>84721671
>The one with the soldier is definitely a different scene, while the others are arguably part of the same scene, depending on the breakdown on the script. If anything it's a sequence, but not an act. An act is a larger narrative unit that stands on its own as part of the whole structure of the movie. The different acts usually show a change in the situation of the main character or characters within a plot. A big set-piece or sequence is not an act.

Fair enough. I learned something on /tv/ today.
>>
>>84721864

This is true, but notice that Blondie gets the drug rug he wears in the first two films off the dying confederate soldier he gives a cigarillo to in TGTBTU...
>>
>>84721982
connecting the stories doesn't really work, at best they're just interconnected references or something. at the end of good bad and ugly blondie rides off with a couple hundred pounds of gold, so if good bad and ugly is actually the first movie, why the hell would he go through what he went through in the other two movies?
>>
>>84721705
It's true. There was a time when pretty much all tv shows were westerns. They were super popular back then.
>>
File: Construction.jpg (45KB, 600x255px) Image search: [Google]
Construction.jpg
45KB, 600x255px
>>84719482
>>84719482
I didn't like OUaTiTW on the first viewing, also thought it was boring. The pacing reflects the slowness of life in the west, and I think is more effective at building tension.

Watch it again in a few months/years, I appreciated it more the second time.
>>
>>84722066
Action is his reward.
>>
>>84721684
Because deep down he likes Tuco, he's just a bit of a sadist and probably wanted some sort of revenge for when he was tortured in the desert.
>>
>>84721684
they were back and forth at each others throats throughout the whole movie, he let him go to end the feud. the only reason tuco went after blondie in the first place was because blondie left him in the desert and he almost died
>>
>>84719404
>A Bullet for the General
i remember this being trash
perhaps I should re watch it
same with Tepepa

Duck you sucker is my favorite movie of all time and I know Leone made it in part because he hated those zapata westerns but at least The Mercenary is entertaining and has great music
>>
>>84720569
The only thing related about them is the main lone wanderer character who may or may not even be the same person in each movie
>>
>>84720705
Tombstone
Quigley Down Under
Bone Tomahawk
>>
>>84723483
>Quigley Down Under
patrician choice
>>
The next In the trilogy For a few dollars more is on par or even better than TGTBTU especially when it comes to the built tension its worth a watch
>>
>>84722509
A Bullet for the General is definitely not trash.
I wouldn't include Keoma among the greatest SW though. That one is more of an acquired taste for fans, and the soundtrack doesn't help.
I'd put any of the two official Ringo movies in its place, and maybe even California.
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.