[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do people like this horrible flick?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 229
Thread images: 17

Why do people like this horrible flick?
>>
>>84690945
Because it's actually good, you dumb cunt.
>>
File: starshiptroopers.gif (940KB, 627x502px) Image search: [Google]
starshiptroopers.gif
940KB, 627x502px
>>84690945
why do anons start such horrible threads?
>>
>>84690965
What do you like about it?
>>
It was literally made to be a comedy and no one realised
>>
tits and violence
duh
>>
File: IMG_3992.png (82KB, 563x516px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3992.png
82KB, 563x516px
>>84690945
Because it's great
Would you like to know more?
>>
>>84690945
>>muh scifi
>>
>>84690945
Why do people still don't talk to you irl?
>>
because memes
>>
>>84690945
nude casper van dien in his prime
>>
>>84694868
>muh muh why don't I like what other people like
>n-no one cared as much when my fav space odyssey came out
>>
>>84690945
I love the movie, one of my favorites. Why do I love the movie? The movie does everything it wants to do, it set the bar on a certain level and it reaches that level. And when the movie reaches that level it does so flawlessly.
Another good example of that is Drive or the first Conan the Barbarian, all these movies achieves what is wants to achieve.

After watching the movie about 10+ times now and still loving it, I have that as the only possible answear to why this movie is great.
>>
Did you even bother to read the book?
It's a great movie, recommended reading for any military guy.
>>
>>84690945
are you one of those retards who don't realize it's a satire
>>
I'M FROM /tv/ AND I SAY

BANE
>>
>>84695030

Wait so by this metric aren't shit like grown ups or jack and jill awesome movies? They are doing exactly what they set out to do in terms of humor.
>>
>>84695049
I don't think many people realized it was a satire when it first came out which resulted in it's low-to-mediocre reviews.
Years later with a new perspective, critics are starting to realize how great it really was.
>>
>>84695090
Yeah, if you want to watch garbage that wants to produce millions, yes. If you want to watch kino then its Starship Troopers.
>>
>>84695049
I think you dont realize that even satire of fascism often makes it sound appealing
>>
>>84695183
only if you're a fucking moron
>>
>>84690945

I am not the OP and this is the single best thread on /tv/ right now.

Starship Troopers is among the worst films that I have ever seen. And I like schlock. I like Aliens for Christ's sake.

But this is pure idiocy. I don't care about the source text, or the tongue-in-cheek, or any of it. It doesn't work. It never has worked, and when I hear that someone likes this picture, I think less of them as a person by default.

I had to leave the room during the last 20 minutes or so, above all why? Because I was /bored/. They're in a cave or something, whoop-de-doo. I came back around the climax. Oh now Doogie Howser is going to pronounce on the conquest. What's he say...? Let's have an A+ line now guys.

"It's Afraid!"

Dogshit movie. If you disagree, then you are wrong.
>>
>>84695291
Good post. You should give yourself a pat on the back.
>>
>>84695098
>americans in charge of recognizing satire
>>84695291
thx
>>
>>84695049
There are people in this thread that apparently don't realise that it's satire
>>
>>84695183

Nothing about it was appealing.
>>
>>84695291
Them cheering with joy after he says "it's afraid" is one of the funniest moments in the movie
>>
>>84695291
>too stupid to understand satire

Just end it man.
>>
>>84690945
because DUDE SATIRE LMAO
>>
>>84695955
Nigga what? I'd sign up for Mobile Infantry right now if it existed.

>Sick armour
>Sick weapons
>Citizenship
>Communal showers
>>
>>84696061
notice how every veteran had some kind of horrible injury?
>>
>>84696076
And?
>>
>>84690945
When Aliens came out there was a lot of people who wished they'd gotten to see the Marines doing their job in other situations. This movie is basically that, except more lighthearted.

It's a plot that you just didn't get to see, outside of bad B-movies that looked horrible.
>>
>>84695183
>good goy, go off to the slaughterhouse so we can control the population-levels and keep our militaristic society alive even though we have to fabricate enemies to fight!
>appealing
>>
>>84696216
t. brainlet
>>
>>84690945
Because it makes people feel smart without having to actually having to be smart
>>
>>84696257
t. Beta Nu-male

Say hello to your wifes black son for me
>>
>>84690945
coed shower
>>
>>84695291
>Starship Troopers is among the worst films that I have ever seen. And I like schlock. I like Aliens for Christ's sake.
Subtle bait
>>
>>84690945
not everything is for you
have even a little perspective
>>
>>84696378
Aliens is schlock
>>
File: 1498715836805.jpg (44KB, 282x341px) Image search: [Google]
1498715836805.jpg
44KB, 282x341px
>>84695098
I cannot possibly fathom how somebody could not realize that it was satire.
>>
>>84696391
Here, have this (you) and fuck off.
>>
>>84696407
I first saw it when I was like 12 and wasn't sure if it was supposed to be serious or not. It does have that b movie vibe
>>
File: 1495163478832.png (257KB, 303x353px) Image search: [Google]
1495163478832.png
257KB, 303x353px
>>84696426
That's acceptable because you were a child.

A fully functioning adult should know better.
>>
>>84696335
.t Goldstein
>>
>>84696593
>>
>>84696407
I've talked to two different people who didn't think it was satire, said it was their favourite movie and that they joined the military because of how awesome the movie was.

The military will apparently take in any retard.
>>
>>84696419
It is.
>>
>>84696407
>>84696604
>show a beautiful patriotic direct democracy
>lmao just because I'm pointing out a system I don't agree with its satire XD
It is satire, but it's terrible satire. It's a great genuine film. Love it.
>>
>>84690945
Because they have good taste and you have poor taste.
>>
>>84696638
>beautiful

Anon, it shown to only work by fabricating a war against an endless alien race, because without an outside force to fight against(and thus a reason to sign up and become a citizen) the system collapses under its own uselessness. That is not what I'd call beautiful.
>>
>>84695090
no. they aim for external metrics more specifically the cheaply produced, post theatrical, shared with direct to dvd sequel market.

theres a name for it cant think of at the moment
>>
>>84696759
I don't think the war is fabricated, but I do note the over emphasized military. If that's society's only problem, I still call it a great success.
Nothing wrong with having to serve to become a full citizen. Meritocracy at its finest.
>>
>>84696794
>I don't think the war is fabricated
>managing to fall for blatant propganda in a literal movie
>>
File: teeth.png (219KB, 520x438px) Image search: [Google]
teeth.png
219KB, 520x438px
>>84690945
>Shoot a nuke down a bug hole, you got a lot of dead bugs
>>
>>84696900
Let me guess; the asteroid scene? Nope, I reject it. Especially since bugs are savages. Even if I were to cede the point to you, it's a preemptive strike.
>>
>>84695037
that book sucked, barely any action just political speaches, heinlein's politics at the time were absolutely laughable

he wrote many better books, glory road for instance
>>
>>84697005
Literally the only times the bugs were aggressive to humans was when humans invaded their natural habitat.
>>
>>84696419
prove him wrong
>>
>>84696604
it's honestly baffling, the movie wasn't even subtle in its mockery
>>
Action, tits, barney's character, teacher character, rico growing as a person, overall energy of the troops. Also creepy in a good way, good pacing though i can't 100% confirm because last time i saw it couple of years ago. The "want to know more" stuff. Now i can also appreciate it for the satire and stuff but when i first saw it I didn't catch any of it.
>>
>>84696794
>I don't think the war is fabricated

Oh yeah the aliens just farted rocks from the other side of the galaxy and managed to hit Earth just in time to whip up a furor in the younger generation and make them sign up, just as societal dissent is starting to show due to the uselessness and waste of resources inherent in basing society around military service when there's nothing to defend yourself against. Even if they were farting into wormholes so the rock could reach us before either of our species went extinct they still wouldn't be able to calculate trajectories since they can't see into space.

And let's suppose that they DID manage to compute how to hit Earth and did fart at FTL speeds, then you still wouldn't be sending grunts to die on the ground against an alien swarm when you've got fucking space-travel technology. Unless, of course, you wanted to have lots of people killed off to help with population control(you already need a license to have a kid) and lots of veterans sent on home who'll perpetuate the system because in the system they're revered instead of pitied.

Face it kid, you fell for the propaganda.
>>
>>84690945

Why didn't ur mom get an abortion?
>>
>>84697096
You're not listening what I said. Even if the asteroid was real, bugs needed to be stopped. Especially if you know about them from the book.

>>84697036
Kill yourself cuck.
>>
>>84697142
>cuck cuck cuck
>>>/r/eddit
>>
>>84697142
>Especially if you know about them from the book
The book and the movie are two discrete entities. The movie's script was created independently of the book and the Starship Troopers name was only used later because of the similarities in plot
>>
>>84697165
>bugs were peaceful they dindu nuffun
Really, it's not even /pol/
You're just that fucking leddit.
>>
>>84697089
>tits

Those were probably the most disappointing tits in the history of cinema
>>
>>84697142
>bugs needed to be stopped.

You're obviously not listening to what I just said. You don't fucking stop the bugs by sending in a bunch of guys with rifles to run around on the ground and go into their goddamn anthills. You just bomb the entire planet with chemical warfare munitions that'll wipe out the whole species without some fucker having to waltz into their den with a nuke, or you use your spacetravel-technology to just bombard the planet from outside of orbit until it goes into a nuclear winter and they die off that way. There's literally no reason to put boots on the ground when the only way the enemy can win is if you put boots on the ground. The marines weren't capturing key strategic positions or taking over the planet one grid-point at a time, they were just bussed in to fight the bugs at different random locations that they then abandoned, and they always got fucking slaughtered even when they "won".

Not only did the bugs not need to be stopped because they weren't a real threat, they WEREN'T stopped exactly because the government needed to perpetuate the war, not win it.

>the book.
The book obviously holds no relevance to the movie, they're two different stories.
>>
File: Heinlein-face.jpg (17KB, 243x333px) Image search: [Google]
Heinlein-face.jpg
17KB, 243x333px
Was Heinlein right?
>>
>>84695291
>i think less of them as a person

Hide your face with your fedora.
>>
>>84697390
Adding to this - the gov. was not just using this to perpetuate the war, but there are hints throughout the movie that it was the human government that started the conflict to begin with
>>
>>84698246
If we're counting the sequels you've also got the fact that veterans protesting against the war and government, as is their right as full citizens, are hanged on live television.

Even the first movie has that segment where it's just "this murderer was caught yesterday and sentenced to die without any trial today, watch him die live tomorrow!". It's not exactly hard to see a problem with that set-up as far as individual rights go and the chance of abuse inherent in the system.
>>
>it's satire

lolno, you idiots need to realize the core audience was teenage boys
>>
>>84690945
>horrible flick
fuckin normies go to hell
>>
>>84698572
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-s4lEk91ng
yeah such a straight movie
>>
>>84691002
everything
>>
>>84699044
That's fucking fantastic. It's ironic, like 90s Marvel quips, only better. I don't see a problem.
>>
>>84699266
you think the child holding carrying a gun and yelling out "I'LL DO MY PART" isn't satirical?
>>
>>84699300
It's just funny and kind of ironic. It shows that society is self aware about gun fetishism.
>>
>>84697454
Heinlein was ahead of his time and right in every way. Kids of today can't fathom his politics because they all grown up in a privileged bubble after america became the domineering superpower of the world.
>>
>>84699354
think you might be a bit thick mate
>>
>SERVICE GUARNTEES CITIZENSHIP
reminder that there is literally nothing wrong with this and would be very beneficial for any nation
>>
>>84699650
Yeah, sure, let's just give power to nationalistic retards, nothing wrong with that.
>>
>>84699703
as opposed to giving power to everyone?
>>
>>84699703
>sacrificing a period of your life for your nation turns you into a neocon
god youre retarded
>>
>>84699717
I agree that suffrage is fundamentally flawed, but best choice of action would be to give voting rights to educated people, and not military personnel.
>>
>>84695049
lol how does anyone not realise it's satire? it's completely un-nuanced which is one of the aspects i hated about it.
>>
>>84699760
>military personnel cant be educated
theres an argument that life experience can outweigh certain education.
>>
>>84699650
I bet you haven't served in the military nor will you do it.
>>
>>84699760
even by that logic, all officers would have voting rights, as well as a large amount of nco's. civilian education is now required for promotion in the military, as well as what they call professional military education which is comparable to baccalaureate and graduate level courses.
>>
>>84699703
If you knew jack from shit, you'll know that those who have lived through the hell of war would be the most cautious of voting for more war.

Go be an edgy teen back on refit, they love your idiocy there.
>>
>>84699760
>A degree in womyns studies should give you suffrage
>>
File: IMG_3927.jpg (42KB, 574x960px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3927.jpg
42KB, 574x960px
>>84699813
that's where you're wrong kiddo. did 8 years active duty.
>>
>>84699650
What about those who can't serve?
>>
>>84699893
it doesn't exclusively mean military service. in the book there's all types of federal service they can do
>>
>>84699650
>>84699893
In the book there were other ways to serve your nation.
And even without citizenship you were still granted many rights just not suffrage.
>>
>>84699881
Is that a Nintendo leak?
>>
>>84699650
Service in the military? No. Service in the fashion that Heinlein swore he'd always meant, despite focusing entirely on military service in his stories? Could have its merits, but we're on /tv/ so fuck discussing it.

There's one point in the movie that immediately shows it to be ill-conceived: one character mentions that she joined up because she wants to have kids and being a citizen makes it likelier that you're allowed to. That is a silly idea. Serving in the military does not give you a better chance of being a good parent, if anything you're more likely to be a worse parent than if you hadn't served, either due to physical war-wounds or mental ones. This is true for most things in society, which is the reason why so many human societies had warrior castes. The idea that a man knows more about farming policies or which politician will enact the better policies because he shot a gun is foolish.
>>
>>84699964
close! right outside of kandahar
>>
>>84699788
Only the "muh life experience, give me baseless respect because of my age" crowd ever make that argument.
>>
>>84696407
It's not really satire either, according to Vehoeven himself. It's more in the vein of WH40K with the point being to explore what society would be like if there actually is a consistent threat to humanity's existence. Could a liberal democracy actually exist in a world where you are always a cunt hair away from annihilation? When you actually have to allocate so many resources toward the military just to exist?
>>
>>84699972
i imagine there was a more stringent process that one had to go through in the movie in order to have children, probably more akin to adopting kids in today's society where there's a lot of paperwork and bureaucracy to navigate in order to "prove" yourself worthy, and military service (or service of any kind) made it easier to be approved.
>>
>>84700002
and only people who spent their 20's inside of some liberal arts university would say their 18th century french poetry degree makes them superior to people who were actually out in the world during that time.
>>
I recently watched Starship Troopers and Robocop with my cousins, I was worried they'd not like them and get bored, "I only really like movies made after 2000" was an actual quote, but they ended up really enjoying both movies. They didnt get the satire at all though, they didnt even question that the ending of Starship Troopers was depressing as hell, or even recognise the totalatarinism of the Federation. Same with robocop, they loved the action and thought it was a cool movie, none of the satire was even recognised.

>>84699767
I know people who didnt get that Team America was satire, go listen to "Murica Fuck Yeah" on youtube and read the comments. The average movie-goer has no sense of reading between the lines, they'll take everything at face value.
>>
because its one of the best films i've seen
>>
>>84699760
>""educated people""

If you've been to a western university, you wouldn't say this.

It should be a probationary period of like a year or something where you need to serve your country in some way, be it in the military, as a civil servant, or doing some volunteer bullshit. This weeds out the cunts voting for mo gibsbedats and proves you actually give a fuck about the society you're voting as a part of. Then there should be a standardized intelligence assessment similar to IQ that also tests your familiarity with the issues. This weeds out the retards who have their hearts in the right place. Anyone left can vote.

Perfect system prove me wrong.
>>
>>84696407
>hey Verhooven, did you just make this very genuine and compelling sci fi nazi propaganda movie to turn young people into space nazis?
>n-no, i-it's satire, guys, you just didn't get it
There is literally zero evidence towards it being a satire other than some random eceleb reviewer saying so.
>>
>>84699881
>he has pictures when he was in the military
>probably shows it t everyone and feels good about it

Lmao. Also, I'm sure you just dick around a military base, just like those poor soldiers who stay in Germany's military bases where they get to fuck german women and eat McDonalds.
>>
>>84690945
It's a 90's coming of age friends flick, set in a fascist science fiction universe, with giant alien bugs.
>>
File: support_for_vietnam_by_age.png (56KB, 435x637px) Image search: [Google]
support_for_vietnam_by_age.png
56KB, 435x637px
>>84699843
>If you knew jack from shit, you'll know that those who have lived through the hell of war would be the most cautious of voting for more war.

This. It's a Boomer retcon that young people were against Vietnam and old people were for. In reality it was the exact opposite: WW2 and Korea vets couldn't see the sense in it, while dumb youth were totally gung-ho. Only reason the protests were full of young people is that young people have more free time to go to protests.
>>
>>84700153
"The infantry made me the man I am today"
*missing legs revealed*

Yeah, totally not obvious satire.
>>
>>84700102
>he didn't go to college
Yikes.
>>
>>84700160
nah man. that shit is from the 13-14 tour and like 3 phones ago. i haven't posted it in years, last time was in some /k/ thread where people were doing the same. i got out after my time was up. try again.
>>
>>84700153
>needs evidence for satire

Typical mentally ill millennial.
>>
>>84700193
This.

Heinlein's politics were lolbergtardarian, not fascist.
>>
>>84700080
kek, what's with the liberal arts hate?

Did any of you fags actually were in a liberal arts university?

I'm pretty sure you all believe the memes and form a memed up vision of how the world works.
>>
>>84700046
Of course there was more qualifications, but not a single character disputed her idea that serving would give her a bigger chance of being one of those picked. This means that there's widespread knowledge of the bias in favour of those who served, which in turn means that non-serving people are not being allowed to be parents despite being more qualified.

Society is not a meritocracy when all the merit is derived from military service alone.
>>
>>84700226
i dropped out of the best one in my state to join the army because the college was forcefeeding too much unimportant bullshit
>>
>>84700260
>i dropped out
>to join the army
W E W
>>
>>84700260
>Is sick of being forcefed bullshit
>Joins the army.

nigger you are crazy.
>>
>>84700249
well i dunno, that line in hindsight is kinda flawed in the story since rico's parents are super rich and important but never served.
>>
>>84700153
>incapable of critical thinking to the point where Starship Troopers isn't obvious
>acts like it's other people who get their ideas from e-celebs and reviewers

Top kek.
>>
>>84700292
>>84700279
didn't say it was the smartest move but i did alright. the school was for sheltered kids from well to do families, the courses they had me taking just didn't make any sense.
>art history iii as a freshman
>>
>>84700292
at least in the army it's just military bullshit, not political/societal bullshit that only leftists truly believe
>>
>>84700305
>super rich

There's the reason, anon. They didn't serve but they were rich enough to still be important and ended up being allowed to have Rico as well. The girl signing up for a child is NOT rich, and so she's forced to sign up to have a chance of getting one, she can't just coast in on her family money.

Rico's parents are just a further example of how their society really isn't a meritocracy. It just hides behind the idea.
>>
>>84700402
ok ill buy that, although i wished verhoeven wasn't such a heinlein-hating cunt and explored some of the real societal architecture from the book.
>>
>>84700383
Whew, lad.
>>
>>84700363
>the school was for sheltered kids from well to do families
But you were special, right?

I'm more interested in the fact that you threw away your future because you couldn't stay still in your seat for a couple of hours.
>>
>>84690945
It's fun
>>
>>84700436
believe me, the military is total bullshit, but it's a hierarchical bullshit, everything flows down the chain of command. as in
>general says to meet at 0800
>colonel says be there at 0730
>captain says be there at 0600
>1SG says be there at 0530
etc
>>
>>84700473
>i joined the military so i could always get orders from someone else
Holy shit, son.
>>
>>84700383
No, you still get ideology rammed up your ass, it just happened to be an idealogy that was closer to yours.

Students and cadets have two things in common - they are both handing responsibility of their lives to an institution for a certain period of time, and they are both being taught HOW to think by someone who likely shouldn't have that influence.
>>
>>84700451
kek, now i'm back in school with a resume like no other student and qualifications only attainable through the military but the only difference is i don't have to pay 40k a year.
>>
>>84700196
>It's a retarded undergrad has airs of superiority episode
>He won't be pursuing a doctorate or at least a master's degree

Yikes.
>>
It had all the teen 90's movie tropes.

Chad protagonist, Stacey love interest, slutty not-quite-Stacey friend that secretly wants protagonist, nerdy friend, darker Chad romantic rival, crazy eccentric teacher that turns out to be a cool guy, corn-fed bully that eventually becomes friends with Chad, single black man. Everyone makes a promise to stay friends forever, at the end.

Plus gigantic alien bugs.
>>
>>84690945
horrible? go back to your imdb top 10
>>
>>84700496
>had to go through military indoctrination
>has the privilege of going to college as an old fuck
I wanna be like you when I grow up.
>>
>>84700482
>>84700484
dont you think it's possible to still be able to think for youself in those situations? and wouldn't it be safe to say that with very few exceptions, all career paths have you taking directions or orders from someone higher than you?
>>
>>84700511
>it's a retard has to prove his college debt means something after shitting on the idea of institutions just an hour ago
Anyway.
>>
>>84700473
Right, right. But i'm talking about politics. I assume no one questions the implications of displacing people, of going hundreds of thousands of miles to "defend the country". No one calls out the globalist, nation-wrecking perfidy inherent in the use of our military abroad, as much as in any Berkeley lecture.
>>
>>84700533
>dont you think it's possible to still be able to think for youself in those situations?
This literally goes against what the army taught you.
>>
>>84700525
you can bud. i'm still in my 20's, but have a solid work history from the military unlike my younger student peers. as for the indoctrination, i have no qualms about it. i'm not a neocon or ultra right leaning person by any means if that's what you're implying.
>>
>>84695947

it's satire of fascism the same way galaxy quest is satire of star trek

it just makes you appreciate both much more
>>
>>84700562
not really, you're taught to follow orders but at the same time use your own judgement and disregard any unlawful orders.
>>
>>84700576
>unlike my younger student peers
That might be because they're younger and they're students, you fucking moron. You can't brag about doing better than them when your generation already did better than you.

The army sure picks the very best, it seems.
>>
>>84700496
>school is a waste of time!
>I joined the military instead (which is totally not a waste of time)
>kek guys, I get to waste time in school FOR FREE now, after I've procrastinated for years!

See, if you'd staid in school in the first place then you might have learnt how to structure your arguments rather than going all over the place. If you'd actually stuck with your military career then maybe you'd have had a good point, but you probably ditched it for the same ADD reason you ditched school the first time around.
>>
>>84695183
t. /pol/tard
>>
>>84700605
>dude i love chain of command lmao
>but that doesn't mean i can't think for myself ;^)
So you were disobeying orders left and right, I take it? I mean, you don't strike me as someone who could be "tamed".
>>
>>84700547
since it's an all volunteer force, most people know what they're getting into. i can honestly say that everything i did in theater was to protect civilians or allies.
>>
>>84696257
The bugs were not fabricated, in the book the war against the bugs is meant to look like a pointless campaign until they destroy Bueno Aires and everyone realises they are actually near the brink of defeat
>>
>>84700533
That shit changes a person to better suit the institution's need. What do you think all the repetition is about? It's socially acceptable brainwashing. And I'm betting you encountered a lot of people a lot dumber than you. Their whole identity can end up being military.

As for career paths, I reccomend self-employment, via a startup or independantly contracting services out. Office environments aren't overbearing compared to the army's way of doing things, but at the end of the day, you are still being fucked to put money in someone else's pocket. And you are still expected to be grateful for it.
>>
>>84700608
you made an argument that it was bad because i was older, i countered by saying it wasn't. you claim that only attending college after high school is the one path and that any military service is utterly despicable. get off the high horse buddy.
>>
>>84700618
>leave after 8 years of active duty
>lol you ditched your career
no, i was ready for a change and to use the skills that i had acquired in the civilian sector.
>>
>>84700648
>in the book

Stopped reading right there. The book is not the movie, which you definitely should know if you've read it.
>>
>>84700627
there's usually a fine line between lawful and unlawful orders, and since the latter usually carries a court martial for the person who issued it, they aren't generally fucked with.
>>
>>84699893
If you are quadraplegic they would get you something to do, even if it's counting rocks
>>
>>84697142
The book does not apply to the movie.
>>
>>84700654
>you made an argument that it was bad because i was older
I made an argument that it was bad because your military career definitely didn't take off and now you're stuck getting indoctrinated a second time with the added bonus of a receding hairline and less time to focus on what makes college an interesting experience.

There is no way you can dress up "I dropped out of college to join the army, only to go back to college after dropping the army".
>>
>>84700653
>recommends start up
>99% of start ups fail
>>
>>84700692
So you definitely didn't think for yourself.
>>
>>84700708
my career was fine, in fact i was about to be promoted before i left. i was very close to a degree before and i'm merely just finishing it, which is what i would've done had i stayed in.
>>
>>84700716
Failure is part of growing up. Most startups are too ambitious and use someone else's money, so they aren't actually independant.
>>
>>84699952
>muh book
>>
>>84700728
The ROE was so strict that it usually cane down to a judgement call on our part.
>>
>>84700737
>dude i was about to make general and 300k starting but i just dropped it in favor of a liberal college
Please keep going.
>>
>>84700782
I'm enjoying your projections. Either way is fine, I would've been clearing 100k tax free in theater if I stayed.
>>
>>84700680
The movie itself is only very loosely based on the plot, Verhooen said he refused to read past the first dozen pages because it reminded him of the nazis. If he had, he would have realised it's far more nuanced than he lampooned.
>>
>>84700823
Trust me, I believe you wasted 8 years of your life only to end up back in the same place.
>>
>>84700830
the movie is maybe 10% of the book. verhooven was just a cunt
>>
>>84700823
Holy fuck you're a retard for dropping out of the military then. Do you ever finish what you started?
>>
File: Freud.jpg (52KB, 330x363px) Image search: [Google]
Freud.jpg
52KB, 330x363px
>>84700737
Tell me, anon, why do you think you keep abandoning things, even when you yourself thinks things are going good? Could it be that your father abandoned you as a boy?
>>
>>84697390
klendathu was the first battle, and as the first battles of both world wars there was a side that used outdated and inefficent tactics and losed a lot of soldiers because of that

After that defeat the high command gets changed and a new tactic is developed.The advanced post that Rico's unit have to go to investigate was just a trap to test if bugs had some kind of inteligence coordinating them and in the last battle we see humans use much different tactics wiping with planes the surface of the planet and then blasting the bugs dens with nukes, using much smaller infantry units instead of the human waves tactics of Klendathu.
>>
>>84700846
merely because i'm finishing a degree, which i was doing anyway. dunno what's got you so buttblasted my man, but you do you.
>>
>>84700862
i can make more than that as a civilian if i'd like. there's nothing wrong with moving on to bigger and better things. i guess in your mind staying on the same path your entire life is the only way.
>>
>>84700891
>using much smaller infantry units
So they're still using retarded tactics and sending good men and women into the meatgrinder when there's no reason to put anyone on the ground.
>>
>>84700886
for the same reason you keep samefagging all my posts.
>>
>>84700893
It took you 8 years to get a degree. I'm not the one who should be angry at you, dude.
>>
>>84700928
You won't make shit with your attitude. Have fun living on food stamps.
>>
>>84700891
it was a mormon settlement on a planet in the quarantined bug zone. i don't think the sky marshals knew about the brain bug yet, but that's definitely where they confirmed it.
>>
>>84700861
>>84700861
The book sucks shit, I finished it a few weeks ago. Vehooven was right to drop it. The only good chapter was the first one, where Rico's team is jump-packing around exterminating some tiny alien people with a flamethrower. I assumed that shit was ironic and our protanogist was a bad guy, but it turns out that it was being played straight.

Even then, I would have enjoyed it if it had a single decent action chapter after that. Instead, the whole book was about Rico playing with his dick, doing math homework and telling us things would be better if we all had his politics. Fuck the book and fuck Heinlein, he was a douchy amateur who should have stopped writing after he finished his diary, which is all Starship Troopers really was.
>>
>>84700960
i could've and should've done it sooner, but that's on me. i didn't need it while i was in, so i focused on my career at the time. i'm fine with where i'm at.
>>84700972
thanks for the advice my man.
>>
>>84701007
>muh action
suprised you got through the first paragraph. sounds like the choose your own adventure books would be right up your alley.
>>
>>84700952
>i-it can't possibly be more than one person talking shit about my life after I decided to blog on 4chan, it's gotta be a samefag!

How fucking new are you?
>>
>>84701007
t. pleb who in all liklihood genuinely thinks genre fiction is good and believes JRRM is a literary master
>>
>>84701092
i was just shedding some light on my experiences. dunno what's got you so mad today.
>>
File: starship troopers watkins.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
starship troopers watkins.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
>YOU TRYING TO BE A HERO WATKINS?!
>>
starship troopers isn't kin-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Rx8_vjbXX4&t=187s
>>
how is it possible that the cgi still holds up 20 years later and in many cases is better than today's flicks?
>>
>>84700993
that was a military outpost manned only by soldiers not the mormon post that we see in the first propaganda emisions

>>84700932
what part of bombing the bugs before sending small infantry units is still using retarded tactics? the tactics evolve and the high command wants a brain bug prisioner so the still need some grunts on the mud to search after the bombings for the objective
>>
File: 1490651382669.jpg (40KB, 291x310px) Image search: [Google]
1490651382669.jpg
40KB, 291x310px
You know you're on /tv/ when you read about trapfappers who love capeshit and wonder woman but hate Star Ship Troopers, Robocop, Alien and Predator.
>>
Saw it aged 14 when it came out.

Tits, guns and graphic violence, cheese. Perfect.

In my thirties now and still rate it as a decent hangover remedy.

Some of you virgins really ought to try going outside.
>>
the only people who think the service guarantees citizenship model is bad are those who have never served
>>
Titties?
>>
>>84701323
No taxation without representation

If citizenship requires service, I then I refuse to support the regime
>>
>>84701243
Lots and lots of practical effects and models
>>
>All right, let's sum up. This year we explored the failure of democracy. How our social scientists brought our world to the brink of chaos. We talked about the veterans, how they took control and established the stability that has lasted for generations since. You know these facts, but have I taught you anything of value this year?
>You. Why are only citizens allowed to vote?

>It's a reward. Something the federation gives you for doing federal service.

>No. Something given has no value. When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence. The supreme authority from which all other authorities are derived.

>My mother always told me that violence doesn't solve anything.

>Really? I wonder what the city founders of Hiroshima would have to say about that.
>You.

>They wouldn't say anything. Hiroshima was destroyed.

>Correct. Naked force has resolved more conflicts throughout history than any other factor. The contrary opinion, that violence doesn't solve anything, is wishful thinking at its worst. People who forget that always die.

Was he right?
>>
>>84701377
>i pay taxes so gimme
what else do you do to better your nation?
>>
>>84701253
>what part of bombing the bugs before sending small infantry units is still using retarded tactics?
The part where they're not just wiping the bugs out with chemical or genetic warfare, or nuking the entire planet from orbit of another planet, instead of sending infantry in to walk through ambush-canyons and crawl into their nests. Needing a brain-bug is only the way they justify sending in more men, if they actually fought competently they wouldn't need the brain-bug. Capturing the brain-bug was just a morale-boosting mission in the end, with the whole "IT'S AFRAID!" lunacy.

This would have been completely forgivable and might actually have had a good point if The Federation was pacifist and had to learn how to fight off alien invaders. It does not make sense for a completely militaristic government to be using tactics from the first or second world wars before learning how to fight an intergalactic war.
>>
>>84701431
>They wouldn't say anything. Hiroshima was destroyed.
>this is what they teach kids in The United Citizen Federation
>>
File: 20140502D5AEYQI4.UMQ.jpg (146KB, 1200x807px) Image search: [Google]
20140502D5AEYQI4.UMQ.jpg
146KB, 1200x807px
>MUH DENISE RICHARDS

That's why.
>>
>>84701048
>>84701135
Read Ender's Game, watch Jarhead or Seig Hail in unison with Triumph of the Will. All three are leagues upon leagues better than Heinlein's no-talent, self-insert hackery. He had no technique, no content, no structure. The best he could have ever done was genre pulp and he didn't even do that.

I'd wipe my arse with Starship Troopers, but the phrasing is too coarse.
>>
>>84701551
>enders game
Stopped reading right there
>>
>>84701532
>carmen>dizzy
>>
>>84701529
objectively correct history
>>
>>84701589
You should stop reading in general.
>>
>>84690945
>Social commentary
>Dry Humor
>Decent CGI for it's time

Eat a dick OP
>>
>>84701698

I think the CGI still stands up really well even today, especially the space scenes.
>>
>>84701698

The effects totally hold up. The combination of CG/Puppets/Miniatures in the 90s were the glory days of special effects.
>>
File: 634full-dina-meyer.jpg (109KB, 634x514px) Image search: [Google]
634full-dina-meyer.jpg
109KB, 634x514px
>>84701611
no
dizzy best girl
>>
>>84701698
>>84701724
>>84701729
it's the thing level of practical meets cgi, perfection.
>>
>>84701791
only reason people say this is because she was obsessed with rico.
>>
File: Klendathu-system.jpg (712KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Klendathu-system.jpg
712KB, 1920x1080px
Daily reminder that Klendathu was on the other side of the galaxy. In order for an asteroid to reach earth, even travelling at the maximum speed recorded for an asteroid, it would need to have started its journey over 9 trillion years earlier

Klendathu was yet another false flag operation to go to war and pillage a peaceful race for resources
>>
>>84701981
wormholes
>>
>>84700603
Galaxy Quest isn't a satire of Star Trek, it's a parody of it. A friendly and affectionate one, but a parody nonetheless.
The genres can be confusing to define, but satire is, at its core, a form of social criticism. Galaxy Quest doesn't comment on the Federation's viability or its policies since there's no equivalent in the movie, it just riffs on the sillier parts of the show and the culture around it.
Note that they don't even really satirize fandom. Even the most beta Quest-obsessed fans are seen as good guys - Tim Allen is in the wrong for bursting their bubble, not them for being obsessed.
Troopers is heavily satirical of fascism, propaganda, and the veneration of the military. I'm not convinced Verhoeven went into the project with an entirely clear vision of what it should be; I think he stuck all the satirical elements into it because he knew it'd work, but I think it was at least partly accidental that the whole movie is such a savage take on fascism as it is. It could have benefitted from a step back to make a more cohesive theme throughout. Still a good movie thoughz
>>
>>84702026
there were no giant worms in the film
>>
>>84701981
Friendly reminder that the Terran Federation had FTL travel, which means that they could have won the war by using the same tactic as "the bugs" did: strapping an engine to a large asteroid and slamming it into their planet. It's like aliens deciding to start a war with Earth when all we had was dinosaurs.

>>84702026
>bugs managed to aim a rock at a wormhole that they somehow knew would take it to the other side of the galaxy and hit a planet

Uh-huh...
>>
>>84702066
no they shot it through a wormhole, thats why it didn't take 10 million years.
>>
>>84702066
Then who dug those holes they capture the brainbug in?
>>
>>84702117
>shooting an asteroid at an alien species that's preternaturally good at shooting asteroids
Are you some kind of retard?
>>
>>84702117
the brainbug was smart. and if we really wanna get into it, in ST3 theres a planet bug
>>
>>84702117
>using the same tactic as "the bugs" did: strapping an engine to a large asteroid and slamming it into their planet

But that's not what the bugs did. The bugs had no technology at all. There is absolutely no way to get an asteroid from one side of the milky way to the other, without technology, in less than 9 trillion years. There is no way they were responsible for hitting earth. It could only be an inside job
>>
>>84702159
>bugs that can just fart plasma into space
>capable of doing shit against an asteroid approaching them at the speed of light, much less an asteroid moving faster

You're basically saying that a baseball player would be able to dodge a bullet, since he's used to knocking out all those homeruns.

>>84702166
You can be as smart as you want, you still can't do shit in an intergalactic fight if you're planetary-bound and can't map space. Unless it's a magic brainbug.

>>84702239
That's why I put "the bugs" in quotes, anon. It sure as shit wasn't them. But any of the characters in the movie should have known that a more efficient way of fighting the bugs would have been to do the same to them, except with FTL engines to actually make it feasible.
>>
>>84690945
Because it is an allegory of the current immigration of third world shitskins to the white mans world.
And the whites win in the end-
>>
>>84702367
they were on multiple planets. they're basically tyranids.
>>
>>84702166
The brainbug is the representation of the kikes behind the scenes
>>
>>84702460
They were on multiple planets only because they could spread spores through space, thriving on any planet that would support them while 99.99% of the spores just died. They're space-plants, spreading their seed in the intergalactic winds.

It really holds no relevance in any of the arguments.
>>
>>84700224
you are only slightly less retarded than >>84700153. "lolbergtardian". you actually typed that out. please kill yourself.
Thread posts: 229
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.