[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Sword of Doom

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_0399.jpg (177KB, 950x425px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0399.jpg
177KB, 950x425px
Why is this considered one of the best samurai movies?
The movie spends 90 minutes building up this fight between the main character and the brother of a man that he killed, but they never actually fight. The protagonist has a mental breakdown and fights a small army inside of a brothel.
>>
>>84689759
because actual good samurai movies are slim pickings and this one has visuals that weebs think are cool
>>
>>84690019
The fight choreography was good and the effects have aged well. The story just seemed so disjointed.
>>
>>84690072
yeah it was silly the way they made it, as a part of a trilogy without a solid ending as it's own movie.
oh well
>>
>>84689759
I don't know why this movie became a meme on /tv/ but I like it. Even though it's only 1/3 of a whole story it still stands on its own if you view it as a parable about evil. The swordsman keeps getting away with horrible things and eventually ends up involved with a bunch of skeezy bastards who want to kill him while at the same time the decent people who wronged were conspiring to avenge their loved ones, but before any of this is able to come to a head he ends up destroyed by his own guilt and shame. Even if he is able to nothin' personnel 8 guys at once he's still earned himself a shit life through his heartless actions. And halfway through the movie he gets completely humbled by a guy who doesn't seem to be evil at all.

Hara-Kiri is still the GOAT samurai movie but Sword of Doom is up there.
>>
>>84690470
How is Throne of Blood?
>>
>>84690532
Is that the one that's Nippon MacBeth? Haven't actually seen it. Never got why MacBeth was so popular though.
>>
>>84689759
It's the perfect ending. The man is possessed by his weapon and his whole world becomes and unending slash.
>>
It's pretty great, simple and effective. I didn't really care about the plot at all, in fact the way it ends fits the film pretty well.
>>
>>84689759
it's a fantastic film about a nihilistic man who destroys himself through needlessly petty, cruel, and selfish acts. it's not intended to be a revenge film, or anything of the sort. the abrupt ending perfectly fits the tone, and Tatsuya Nakadai's performance is one of his best, which is really saying something if you're familiar with his career.

>>84690532
it's great, one of Kurosawa's better films, though his best Shakespeare adaptation (and my second favorite of his films overall) is Ran. The Bad Sleep Well is also very good.
>>
>>84689759

It's all right there in the title - a samurai movie that dares to suggest that endless violence and killing maybe ISN'T all that awesome. The final shot/freeze-frame, if nothing else, drives the point home. Whether he survives the maelstrom or not is irrelevant - he's been consumed by chaos and blood.
>>
>>84690751
You're thinking of Ran
>>
>>84691117
no, he's thinking of the right film. Ran is based on King Lear, Throne of Blood is based on Macbeth.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.