[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>build critical infrastructure needed to industrialize your

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 9

File: Omura_(The_Last_Samurai).jpg (93KB, 600x280px) Image search: [Google]
Omura_(The_Last_Samurai).jpg
93KB, 600x280px
>build critical infrastructure needed to industrialize your nation
>replace archaic, useless samurai parasites with modern, professional army
>successfully end revolt by samurai
>Emperor takes everything he owns because he has an emotional attachment to Ken Watanabe- the traitor that sabotaged railroads and killed Japanese soldiers because he couldn't accept that society no longer needed swordsmen
Has there ever been a case where the bad guy did literally nothing wrong worse than this one?
>>
>>84657741
Not as bad as what happened to him historically.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C5%8Cmura_Masujir%C5%8D

Dude was mugged by a gang of former samurai and slowly died from an infected wound.
>>
>industrialization is good
you were mistaken at the core premise my boy
>>
>>84657910
>industrialization is bad
>>
>>84657741
I wish there were more movies about Meiji period Japan.
>>
File: kM_lPhzP.jpg (24KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
kM_lPhzP.jpg
24KB, 400x400px
>anime portrays samurai as honorable killing machines
>they were literally just thugs
>>
Any samurai Kino you could recommend?
>>
>>84657741
He dishonored his nation's cultural heritage and invited in hordes of foreigners. But you're right there's nothing wrong with that ;)
>>
>>84658265
Ran
Kagemusha
>>
File: 1484884954271.png (132KB, 407x286px) Image search: [Google]
1484884954271.png
132KB, 407x286px
>giving up the soul of your country for money
>nothing wrong
>>
He was the bad guy because he only did it for the money. He was a sellout.
>>
File: get lynched.png (918KB, 1064x799px) Image search: [Google]
get lynched.png
918KB, 1064x799px
>cruel landowners demand no end to their historic privileges
>run face-first into machine gun fire

if only it was always so easy.
>>
>>84658265
Literally EVERYTHING by Kurosawa.

But specifically:
>Seven Samurai
>R A N
>Throne of Blood
>Yojimbo

13 Assassins was a recent one that was pretty good.

If you want more Meiji-era samurai the Rurouni Kenshin films are pretty solid and very good adaptations of the anime and manga.
>>
>>84658298
>hordes of foreigners
>handful of foreign experts there to teach cutting edge medicine, military tactics, etc
>>
>>84658265
Rurouni Kenshin is kino
>>
>>84658308
>>84658403
thanks
>>
>>84657741
Yes the guy who discovered that not washing your hands is what spread diseases and tried to tell Doctors/Scientist about it they laughed and called him crazy before he really did have a breakdown because no one would listen and his shit wife left him in a insane asylum to die a slow death. Only for them to finally realizes like 20 or 30 years later. This all happened like at the beginning of the 1900's as well
>>
File: 1495755033361.png (622KB, 1145x643px) Image search: [Google]
1495755033361.png
622KB, 1145x643px
>>84657927
>increased pollution levels, resource depletion, and an introduction to modern day emphasis on "efficiency" are all good things
>>
File: Himura Kenshin.jpg (183KB, 1600x834px) Image search: [Google]
Himura Kenshin.jpg
183KB, 1600x834px
>>84658428
My nigga.

One of the best anime/manga live-action adaptations ever.
>>
>>84658488
For sure wish it wasn't condensed so much into only 3 films but it's very loyal to the source material.
>>
>>84658321
>>84658339
>he provided us with huge advances in industry and military capability
>but he made money doing it so he's evil
>>
>>84658488
everyone was very well casted and that fucking score
>>
>>84658403
seconding seven samurai. Top 5 favorite movie.
>>
File: 1498232951113.png (706KB, 1103x692px) Image search: [Google]
1498232951113.png
706KB, 1103x692px
>>84657741
>supporting imperialism
>>
>>84658265
Heaven and earth
>>
>>84658483
its either look like America or look like Africa senpai
>>
>>84658488
>didn't fall into the live-action anime hair trap of him having bright red hair in Meiji Japan
>gave him much more believable yet still very much unique (for Japanese people) auburn hair

I love it when they don't do it. It looks really stupid in real life when 90% of the population has variations on black hair.
>>
>>84657741
>Has there ever been a case where the bad guy did literally nothing wrong worse than this one?

This guy in the OP pic? he directed fucking Gunhed, which commits the worst cinematic crime of all: being a boring piece of shit
and he knows this so removed his name from some releases

so there
>>
>>84658408
The point is he shouldn't have been so eager to Westernize.

He wanted to destroy the cultural heritage of his people almost overnight just so he could stand at the big boy table with the foreign powers (who still thought less of him) and make a buck.

Respect your own culture, which is why globalism is a fucking poison. We are no where near that level of human decency to accept everyone's culture or simply do away with the idea of separate cultures altogether.
>>
>>84658581
>look like africa
The european nations & america were doing much better than africa well before the industrial revolution
>>
>>84658761
except in this case the cultural heritage is to have an obsolete army that would lose if it ever fought an invader
>>
>>84658854
True.

I'm not saying he was wrong, just should have done so with more respect.
>>
>>84657741
>americans incapable of understanding nuance because they see everything in black and white terms

Checks out.
>>
>>84658854
It's not just the weapons you literal cuck. They were dressing and acting like Westerners while making their own traditions illegal.
>>
>>84658854
So? In that instance losing would be the Japanese thing to do. Recklessly charging into a fight with no regard for your own life is the "bushido" course of action. If they'd used modern strategy and planning using techniques such as firearms, their opponents could escape. Dying is the right thing for a Japanese army.
>>
>>84658927
also known as ending feudalism
>>
>>84657741
The Emperor very clearly realized the danger Omura posed to his station and power and made a power play because - as a representative of the nation - he could not appear weak, You're overlooking the spiritual and cultural significance of the imperial office. Also, Omura deliberately engineered a situation where a man whose life was a military venture would be forced to retaliate - the ninja attack precipitated everything that happened. Did you even watch the movie?
>>
>>84658992
the movie starts with the samurai butchering a bunch of conscripts protecting a railroad
>>
Any movies that depict samurai as they were, not good or bad but rather what actually happened?
>>
>>84658265
shigurui
>>
>>84659091
not a movie, but check out shigurui if u dont mind chinese cartoons
>>
>americans talking about culture
lol
>>
>>84658246
more like the original yakuza.
Hired guns that got rich and powerful enough to be the actual goverment at times and then died
>>
>>84659121
MAH Negro
That is top Anime Kino.
So sad it will never get the remaining arcs animated.
Never understood the manga resolution with the toadman.
>>
>>84657741

It's almost like... dramas that are loosely based on history play around with the facts to elicit an emotional response from the viewer. Fucking weird.
>>
>>84658265

Goyokin is based. Has one of the best final showdowns you'll ever see.
>>
>>84659091
idk but kagemusha makes me cry everytiem
>>
>>84659091

Twilight Samurai takes a hard, unglamorous look at the life of a samurai who's broke and past his prime, being forced to take on a task he doesn't want to carry out. It doesn't have much action but the story is unique.
>>
>>84659334

i think they got most of the good stuff, the toadman stuff is not really needed and honestly just felt wierd.
never really tied into the story other then he's at the tournament at the end.

but yeah does suck that we didnt get the complete story.

this shit needs more exposure. for me its in my top 2 with berserk
>>
>>84658927
>equip soldiers with geta and kimono
>line up to march
>guy in the back trips and knocks over the whole platoon
>>
>>84657741
Its interesting how modern movies have decided to discuss Japan and they all have taken the opinion that "Japanese were brutal probably evil but also they made all the right moves"
>>
>>84658265

Twilight Samurai, I didn't expect to feel that much.
>>
>>84659570
Apparently the manga is based on a larger story of not only the first match between irako and fujiki, but also the story about the other matches, thats why the toadman story is thrown in but sadly its resolution is never shown.
despite the manga saying that the toadman found his conclusion in the sumpu tournament.
Story aside, that manga was just like a big Acid Samurai Kino, the monkey, the fucked up samurais, the devotion.
Madhouse should readapt.
>>
>>84658488
as someone whos never watched kenshin is this good to watch casually?
>>
>>84659961
yeah nothing amazing but easy to watch, fights were really well choreographed

just watch a few clips on youtube and see if you feel like seeing all of it
>>
>>84659770
yes i;ve read it, it does go into some of the other fighters at the tournament but not too much. although you see some messed up stuff happen to the other fighters.

im not quite sure what you mean by toadman resolution. his story was complete. he wanted to prove he was strong and his did in his own way to eventually forced the father of the twins to allow him to represent him. i forget what happend with the daughter that he wanted.
>>
>>84660587
Any case you have a pdf link to the book, i have been looking for it.
I refer to The Toadman's conclusion in the tournament
>>
>>84658761
And this kept Japan from being shit like almost every other Asian country.
>>
>>84657741

> Implying Omura didnĀ“t own the companies that where building the rails, the trains and other industries that where profiting from the cultural boom
>>
>>84661211
so what?
>>
>>84661550

He sold his country culture for personal gain. Some countries are very anal about tradition.
>>
Wad pre infustrialized japan full of betas like now?
>>
>>84658483
The benefits outweigh the costs you fucking tard.
>food supply increased 10 fold.
>average wealth and living quality increased.
>average people have access to luxury items.
>increased urbanization from centralization of factories allows culture and ideas to flourish
but to name a few...
>>
>>84658265
Ichi mei
>>
>>84658550
>he-hey guys looks its me, average nu-male autist. literally all things related to the west is imperialist, colonialist, nationalist propaganda!!
>>
>>84657741
Samurai are portrayed as heroic figures but that's because they were in control of art and history. In reality, they were just brutal thugs that the common overthrew the moment they had the chance and happily left behind.
>>
File: 1490638042423.jpg (5KB, 198x200px) Image search: [Google]
1490638042423.jpg
5KB, 198x200px
>>84661773
It was literally called the Empire of Japan you stupid faggot
>>
>>84658483
>those are bad
>>
>>84661682
>hey man you want to advance civilization to where you live beyond 30?
>HEH NO THANKS FAG, MUH CULTURE
Thread posts: 69
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.