[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Where the fuck do I start with Terrence Malick?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 11

File: o-TERRENCE-MALICK-facebook.jpg (730KB, 1536x2304px) Image search: [Google]
o-TERRENCE-MALICK-facebook.jpg
730KB, 1536x2304px
Where the fuck do I start with Terrence Malick?
>>
Badlands. That's where you stop too.
>>
>>84656277
the beginning
>>
>>84656277
Badlands then days of heaven. Stop there.
>>
So this guy started making films way back in the 70s and then took a HUGE 20 year break and then a 7 year break and then a 6 year break and now he makes movies pretty much every year. What's up with all the breaks, and why did he stop?
>>
>>84656277
>that ricepaddy hat
>unfortunate son starts playing
>>
>>84656277
go outside and jerk off in a wheat field
>>
File: 1493596400931.jpg (176KB, 1280x1280px) Image search: [Google]
1493596400931.jpg
176KB, 1280x1280px
>>84656277
THIN RED LINE.
>>
>>84656949
the 20 year break was when he fucked off to paris working on Q (what later became The Tree of Life and Voyage of Time)
he's exceptionally eccentric
I read a few of his papers and translations of/on Heidegger, motherfucker is SS rank genius
>>
>>84656365
this
>>
I'm gonna start with the Ben Affleck one since that's the only one on Netflix so it's the most conveniently accessible for me at the moment.

Tell me how good or bad an idea this is.
>>
>>84656354
>>84656365
Don't listen to these two, they're utter plebs

>>84656362
This. Just know that Malick gets increasingly abstract with each film so you might not like his later stuff but you should still give them a try when you get there.
>>
>>84656949
>The thing that really, really bothers me about the perception of Terrence Malick is the idea that he made Days of Heaven and then sat with his thumb up his butt for twenty years. That’s not what happened; he never stopped working. Terrence Malick is not a recluse. A recluse is Howard Hughes holed up in a hotel pissing into a milk bottle. If you live in certain neighborhoods of Austin you’ll see Malick shambling about with his binoculars and bird-watching gear. And if you walk up to him and say, “I love your movies,” he’ll say, “Thank you so much, and isn’t it such a wonderful day?” He has his reasons, we don’t know what they are, and I like that. […]

>This is a guy who knows a hell of a lot about a hell of a lot of things: religion, astronomy, birds, philosophy. He doesn’t strike me as someone for whom the sun rises and sets on the next deal; maybe movie-making is not the be-all and end-all for him. It’s entirely possible that when he’s out bird-watching he gets so swept up in it that he doesn’t think about movies at all that day.
>>
>>84656277
Go outside.
>>
File: 89814191512.png (225KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
89814191512.png
225KB, 512x512px
>>84656949
>>
>>84657576
forgot text
>In early 2000, during an interview with Le Monde[18] to announce his new production facility in London[19], Poilâne asserted that he had unwittingly employed Malick as an apprentice baker between the years of 1984 to 1992 under the pseudonym of Antoine de Tournesol. When asked during the initial interview why de Tournesol wanted to work for him, Poilâne recalled his only response to be; "Our minds are like dough, our hearts like flame." De Tournesol was a model employee, according to Poilâne, and in his exit interview, the reason given for leaving the company was "hearing yet again the drums [of war.]" Poilâne proceeded to laugh the experience off, stating he was "fond of Antoine's war movie," though he "didn't care for the pacing."[20]
>>
>>84657496
>Just know that Malick gets increasingly abstract with each film so you might not like his later stuff but you should still give them a try when you get there
Oh, so he's another Refn?
>>
>>84657456
extremely bad idea
>>
>>84656277

watch everything up to tree of life. after that he crawls so far up his own ass that his films have no plot or narrative even though they're beautiful to look at.
>>
>>84657650
That's your opinion, but don't impose it on Malick; an auteur need not pander to your subjective ideals of "plot" or "narrative", and neither is it an obligation for art to require them.
>>
File: 1497135220773.jpg (136KB, 599x657px) Image search: [Google]
1497135220773.jpg
136KB, 599x657px
>>84657634
>Oh, so he's another Refn?
congrats on the worst post i've seen on /tv/ all day
>>
>>84657634

refn's films are totally accessible compared to malick's last few
>>
Ok just started this Affleck flick, this is....weird
>>
>>84657711

i'm entitled to my opinion though and since this dude asked for advice i'm giving it to him. some of the people on here will suck malick's dick even if his next film is 4 hours of him sitting in a field bird watching but like i said they're beautiful to look at but ultimately empty because they don't really have a point.
>>
File: ttw.jpg (82KB, 500x741px) Image search: [Google]
ttw.jpg
82KB, 500x741px
how long till this is rightfully recognized as the masterpiece that it really is?

whats up with all the retards waving this off because its """minor""" or "muh sadness"? like because it doesn't have an easy narrative (actually it does, ironically, its just stripped down and suggested more than shown) or the desired resolution, or some grandiose scope and scale its apparently unacceptable or something

literally every negative-mixed review is flat out didn't get it tier, even from "people" who claim to like his earlier work, and the other more abstract films from after his hiatus

blows my mind..
>>
File: 1489904189245.jpg (68KB, 431x450px) Image search: [Google]
1489904189245.jpg
68KB, 431x450px
>>84657634
I don't think movies are for you
>>
File: 1465396009530.png (61KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
1465396009530.png
61KB, 320x320px
>>84657767
>they don't really have a point.

>Perhaps no film in the history of cinema follows the movement of memory as faithfully, as passionately, or as profoundly as Terrence Malick’s new film, “Knight of Cups.” It’s an instant classic in several genres—the confessional, the inside-Hollywood story, the Dantesque midlife-crisis drama, the religious quest, the romantic struggle, the sexual reverie, the family melodrama—because the protagonist’s life, like most people’s lives, involves intertwined strains of activity that don’t just overlap but are inseparable from each other. The movie runs less than two hours and its focus is intimate, but its span seems enormous—not least because Malick has made a character who’s something of an alter ego, and he endows that character with an artistic identity and imagination as vast and as vital as his own.

>As such, “Knight of Cups” is one of the great recent bursts of cinematic artistry, a carnival of images and sounds that have a sensual beauty, of light and movement, of gesture and inflection, rarely matched in any movie that isn’t Malick’s own. Here, he—and his cinematographer, Emmanuel Lubezki—surpass themselves. Where “The Tree of Life” is filled with memories, is even about memory, “Knight of Cups” is close to a first-person act of remembering, and the ecstatic power of its images and sounds is a virtual manifesto, and confession, of the cinematic mind at work. It’s a mighty act of self-portraiture in dramatic action and in directorial creation.
>>
File: To the Wonder.jpg (40KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
To the Wonder.jpg
40KB, 1280x720px
>>84657780
ToL/TTW/KoC are all masterful works, just stunning cinema

>To the Wonder resembles another chapter out of Malick’s life. The male lead (Ben Affleck), named Neil, is an American man who, while in Paris, falls in love with a French woman (Olga Kurylenko) named Marina, the mother of a young daughter (Tatiana Chiline). When the three move to America, Marina has a hard time adjusting. The two grow apart, and in voice-over Marina says something like (I’m paraphrasing, the line is not in my notes), “Where does he go?” All of these details parallel what we know about Malick’s second marriage:

>One day in 1980 or 1981, Malick’s landlord introduced him to Michèle, a tall, thirtysomething blonde Parisienne who lived in the same building. She had a young daughter, Alexandra. … In a year or two, the trio moved to Austin, Texas. … Michèle did her best to adapt to Austin. … But she was out of her element. … Malick would often just leave, for hours, days, or weeks. She never knew where he went, and it made her crazy.

>Eventually Marina returns to Paris, just as Michèle did. While she’s away, Neil takes up with a woman he knew in his youth (Rachel McAdams). At this point in Malick’s life, he married his high school sweetheart, Alexandra “Ecky” Wallace, to whom he’s apparently still married.
>>
>>84656277
The Greeks
>>
>>84657240
Are these easily accessible at all?
>>
Start observing the world around you and be mindful of His natural wonders. He'll come to you.
>>
>>84657848
Yeah, the biographical nature in his work is what makes it so fucking authentic
>>
>>84658069
Are you saying you don't even have to watch a Malick film if you just pay attention to nature?
>>
>>84657767
>ultimately empty because they don't really have a point
You're mentally retarded.
>>
>>84658345
Ah, that excellent 4chan discourse.
>>
File: 1466804415854.jpg (727KB, 3000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
1466804415854.jpg
727KB, 3000x3000px
WHERE THE FUCK IS THE VOYAGE OF TIME BLU RAY
>>
File: 1483896266999.jpg (158KB, 514x796px) Image search: [Google]
1483896266999.jpg
158KB, 514x796px
>>84658390
Read the fucking thread. Malick is literally an actual genius. Like a real life bona-fide one, not just some popular over rated dude.
>>
File: terrence.webm (3MB, 1146x480px) Image search: [Google]
terrence.webm
3MB, 1146x480px
You start with this
>>
>>84658434
Geralt kind of looks like Malick. Edit this image with his hat and it'll be perfect.
>>
>>84658464
>go see this at the theater with a buddy
>laugh our fucking asses off at this scene
>any time the goose does something funny we giggle like happy idiots
Was such an incredible experience, being bale to enjoy this film whole heartedly without any pretensions, the way it was made to.
>>
>>84658532
Holy shit, somebody please do this. I'm on my phone in the car so I can't
>>
>>84658390
>"malick's films have no point because I didn't get them or simply failed to understand"
>"I can discredit an entire film and auteur by calling his work empty"
Speak for yourself, and refrain from posting baseless spew that only serves to out you as an imbecile.
>>
>>84658534
>Was such an incredible experience, being able to enjoy this film whole heartedly
so which actor are you?
>>
>>84658968
Did you even read his post?
>being bale
He said it right there.
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.