[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are good war movies/shows about pure tactical genius?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 12

File: NOPE.jpg (339KB, 1008x1164px) Image search: [Google]
NOPE.jpg
339KB, 1008x1164px
>>
Why is stannis the best character in the books, a tactical genius, strong and just leader, yet a total cunt in the show?
>>
STANNIS STANNIS STANNIS
>>
>>84637038
>tactical genius
>only battle he ever won was against wildlings armed with sticks who were taken by surprise
>>
literally the Larry David of Westeros
>>
Vids of me playing Fire Emblem
>>
>>84639463
He completely destroyed the iron fleet. And held storms end through a long as fuck siege.
>>
>>84637067
He isn't even bad in the show until he goes completely out of character and burns his daughter.
>>
>>84637067
Because Dumb&Dumber hate him for some reason. They might be retarded, judging by the things they've said in interviews.
>>
>>84637038
Legends of the Galactic Heroes
>>
>>84639463
>>84639596

> Tactical Genius
> Lost to a midget with a chain and some fireworks

Stannis got fucked by Tyrion Lannister of all people. and fucked hard. Then again I guess Tyrion's best trait is his ability to fuck things.
>>
>>84637067
The writers are nu-males, and as such, they hate and fear strong men like The Mannis.
>>
>>84641626
this
>>
>>84641286

Tyrion has the most bullshit plot armour in all of the world. Despite having no actual experience in really leading or being a general he wins debates and battles because he "reads a lot".

It's no surprise the reddits of the world flock to him, he's the character version of "I fucking love science".
>>
>>84641701
>because he "reads a lot"
Because he's smart as fuck.
>>
File: 65f[1].png (259KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
65f[1].png
259KB, 1024x768px
>>84637038
>>
Two years later and I'm still FURIOUS about this
>>
>>84641626
this
>>
>>84641626
this but unironically
>>
>>84637067
Dabid hates him. When they first introduce Stannis they make him out to be a religious fanatic, rather someone who is merely using religion in order to advance his cause. He doesn't actually believe he's the chosen one.
>>
>>84641286
Tyrion only managed to hold off Stannis long enough for Tywin to arrive.
>>
>>84639511
kek
>>
>>84642279
I wasn't being ironic.
>>
File: file.png (4MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
4MB, 2048x1536px
>>84637067
>>
>>84641701
It's not plot armor. Tyrion basically has the intellect of Tywin, although he doesn't have the same cruel resolve. Saying something is "reddit" is an empty argument people use when they have nothing else to use to criticize something.
>>
The Last Castle, staring Tony Soprano and Waldo Pepper
>>
Waterloo's pretty great.
>>
>>84637038
The fight in the book took 7 days. Stannis' army wasn't caught unawares, just very unprepared and horribly famished and frozen. The show really fucked it up.
>>
>>84642036

This, truly LoGH is the top kino for 5^10 chess.
>>
>>84642036
>illustrates space combat in a 2d fashion
Holy fuck, kill yourself. You fucking retard.
>>
>>84642607
it is plot armor, he fights through multiple chaotic battles and never gets killed despite being a dwarf who can barely climb stairs half the time
>>
>>84642910
It's a meme, you dip.
>>
File: REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.png (393KB, 571x523px) Image search: [Google]
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.png
393KB, 571x523px
>>84642935
>It was just a joke dude XD don't take it so seriously
>>
>>84637067
Because they need to let Brienne kill him without her being the bad guy anon.
>>
>>84642910
>he hasn't watched LOGH

it's absolute kino mate
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhsY4HQ0X2s
>>
>>84642924
I don't think that counts as plot armor, it's more of an operating tool of narrative and story structure in general. Main characters in many different stories often survive unlikely scenarios through their journeys. Your criticism would be like saying Odysseus had plot armor. I mean sure, maybe you could say that, but it's a fucking dumb criticism and misses the point of the story (i.e. the character's journey or story arc has not yet been completed).
>>
>>84642868
The fight in the book hasn't happened. Stannis is hold up inside a village beside a frozen lake, the Bolton forces are marching to him in a blizzard, where they'll get caught by his Alexander Nevsky trick.
>>
>>84642961
must be hard having every joke fly over your head
>>
File: 1494189254770.webm (3MB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1494189254770.webm
3MB, 480x360px
>>84643112
Most kino
>>
>>84643369
that first ship exploding shot had to have been used a dozen times in the series at least
I wish it had a higher budget. I guess it was just too good for those nips
>>
>>84642910
>>84642961
It barely fucking matters, space combat is incredibly simple from a formation perspective, what the fuck does the third dimension even add? Nothing. You enter into range and start shooting, there is literally nothing else to it. You always have a clear line between your ships and the enemy and you know where all the enemy ships are at all times, 2d illustrations are perfectly fine way of conveying simple information like formation shapes because formations in space combat are primary school level simple. Even at a wider scale of calculating delta-V and doing orbital mechanics the actual formation of your ships within a fleet mean almost nothing.
>>
>>84643686
there was one part where the vertical plane mattered in LOGH actually
>>
>>84643779
I was talking about real life.
>>
Mother fucking KAGEMUSHA

THE MOUNTAIN DOES NOT MOVE
>>
>>84643686
Are you joking? Please tell me you're joking?
>>
>>84642331
This. A few more hours and Stannis would have secured the city, and would ironically be under siege again. Still, he would have held the Iron Throne and likely killed Joffrey and Tyrion in an instant, Cersei would have killed herself, and suddenly Stannis might start looking like a better alliance than Tywin for the Tyrells. If Tywin would have left for his army's forced march even a day later, all of that would have probably happened, and most likely Robb would get home in one piece since the Freys weren't going to try shit without protection from the powers-that-be.
>>
>>84642305
This. Also they made him somewhat of a cuck that's dependent on Melisandre even though in the books the only thing important to Stannis about her is her usefulness.
>>
>>84644036
2d is perfectly acceptable to show an overview of a space battle on, refute this.
>>
>>84644157
If you really think that 2d is fine, it's cool with me. I'll just go under you straight to your home planet and nuke it form orbit. There won't even be a fight if your force is perfectly next to eachother.
>>
>>84637038
not got obviously

everybody is retarded
>>
>>84641286
Tyrion managed to destroy his fleet, yes, but the city would have fallen if Tywin and the Tyrells didn't arrive to save the day.
>>
>>84641286
>showfags
>>
File: 1496579837018.jpg (100KB, 543x830px) Image search: [Google]
1496579837018.jpg
100KB, 543x830px
>>84644185
>I'll just go under you straight to your home planet and nuke it form orbit. There won't even be a fight if your force is perfectly next to eachother.

Ill see you coming and intercept you, what are you fucking stupid? If your plan is to nuke my planet why are you even sending spaceships and not just throwing rocks? You are a terrible space general desu. My point is not that the third dimension doesn't exist its that it doesn't actually mean enough to invalidate 2 dimensional representations of space battles, remember the original point here is me replying to this guy >>84642910 who thinks that its completely retarded to 'illustrate space combat in a 2d fashion'.

Within a battle there is no flanking (in the traditional sense) or sneaking-up-on or slipping past or whatever, space combat is actually very straight forward when you get down to it because space is a big load of literally nothing. Any given space battle is just a bunch of warships closing to range and blasting the shit out of eachother until one side either dies or runs away, its so fucking simple you don't even NEED a visual representation to get an accurate idea of what happened let alone some complex 3d holographic bullshit. It doesn't matter from what angle your ships are coming from or what complex 3d shape they are organised in it really makes no difference.
>>
What honestly pissed me off the most is we never got to see a depiction of greekfire-analogue during the battle for kings landing, which would of been cool as shit, instead we get giant green fartcloud destroys stennis the menace dreams.
>>
>>84644530
How will you intercept me when your entireforce stays perfectly level? This isn't about tactics or way to eradicate your enemy, it's about the FACT that you absolutely cannot display a space battle in 2D. What the fuck do you mean there is no flanking? There absolutely is. If I approach your ships from below you can't even shoot at me.
>>
>>84637038
What a terrible strategist, why did he march off to siege Winterfell without working out the logistics of supplying his army?
>>
>>84644530
You're dumb.
>>
File: Drawing.png (62KB, 1194x693px) Image search: [Google]
Drawing.png
62KB, 1194x693px
>>84644619
Yes you can. If one dimension is just ships all the way then you can display it as a 2D battle and just simulate that.
>>
>>84644619
>it's about the FACT that you absolutely cannot display a space battle in 2D
Well no shit if your talking about the LITERAL fact that you cannot accurately display a 3d occurrence 100% in a 2d medium, why does this matter? I am talking about practicality not literally here, a 2d representation can give you the information you need just fine.

>What the fuck do you mean there is no flanking? If I approach your ships from below you can't even shoot at me.
What does this even mean? Are you implying that my ships cannot simply re-orient down to make us level? 'below me' is just a matter of perspective that I can instantly change by firing a few manoeuvring thrusters for half a second.
>>
File: 1428272626098.webm (1MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1428272626098.webm
1MB, 640x360px
>>84644752
That's still basically 2D, you've given them a range of heights but it's not being used. Why don't they escape by flying straight up?
>>
File: 1491358727512.webm (3MB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
1491358727512.webm
3MB, 600x338px
>>84645006
... or down
>>
>>84644988
By your logic a squad of 1 * 5 * 5 is the same as 100000000 * 5 * 5. There is no way to tell in a 2d drawing.
>>
>>84645085

>Whooshing
>>
>>84641626
They absolutely massacred this beautiful man's character in this fucking show. Killing him off was a mercy both to the character as well as the fans.
>>
>>84644050
Stannis would have killed the Tyrells for siding with the traitor Renley.
>>
>>84644363

Was the chain even in the show?

I remember being disappointed that it wasn't.
>>
>>84642331
First off the boat, first to the wall, only "retreated" when his men dragged him off kicking and screaming.

The Mannis for President.
>>
File: drone attack.webm (3MB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
drone attack.webm
3MB, 800x450px
>>84645087
You can annotate drawings.
Your point is right though, 2d is a pretty shit medium to use in representing space battles (still not completely useless though). I Just felt like arguing, however I stand by that it is not 'fucking retarded' and people who post joke images about animes should not 'kill themselves holy shit'. I'm also right about the other stuff.
>>84645006
>Why don't they escape by flying straight up?
Why is that superior to any other direction of escape. Everything is relative, they appear to be side by side (which is dumb but whatever) because one of the ships (or both) are matching velocities and just making the same manoeuvres the other makes.

That webm doesn't make any sense if your trying to post it as some form of example, as far as I can tell the second ship launched a surprise attack, thats impossible in real life because stealth in space is impossible, those other ships should have moved to meet it before it arrived. Not to mention the combat ranges and magical technology on show. Why does coming from above give any advantages anyway? Missiles can shoot anywhere and turrets can just, you know, aim upwards. I guess the top of those ships could be less armoured, in which case they would just angle themselves towards the intruder instead of sitting still like retards.
>>
>>84637038

Red Cliff 1 and 2

Basically Military tactics the movie
>>
>>84645608
>thats impossible in real life
Everything you've mentioned is impossible in real life, therefore you're wrong. Is this now a non-fiction thread?
>>
>>84644050
That or if Edmure had followed Robb's orders.
Thread posts: 71
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.