[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Just watched Blade Runner for the first time today. It was a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 265
Thread images: 36

File: Slider1.jpg (55KB, 590x359px) Image search: [Google]
Slider1.jpg
55KB, 590x359px
Just watched Blade Runner for the first time today. It was a pretty fun and cool movie. The fuck was up with that unicorn dream, though? Also, why didn't Pris just snap Decker's neck when he had him on the vag stronghold?
>>
>>84578971
>The fuck was up with that unicorn dream, though?

Ridley is a hack who doesnt understand his own movies.
>>
>>84578971
Deckard is a Replicant

>Also, why didn't Pris just snap Decker's neck when he had him on the vag stronghold?
Because Deckard is a Replicant
>>
I watched it recently too and have an extra question. What was the meaning behind the Origami figures?
>>
>>84578971
I watched this today and it was so fucking dull I stopped paying attention and the first time I saw the origami figures was the unicorn at the very end and I had no idea what the significance was.
>>
>>84578991
>watches rlm once

I literally do not understand why this would make you hate the whole film.

It makes perfect sense, Tyrell would probably get sick kicks in making replicants balde runners thus making replicants hunt and kill replicants. (Remember he liked to play god) And at the very end when Deckard is at his most human he discovers that he's a replicant.

Works for me.
>>
File: tony the wrong kid died.jpg (164KB, 600x411px) Image search: [Google]
tony the wrong kid died.jpg
164KB, 600x411px
>>84578971
Just a cheap deckard was a replicant all along twist that wasnt in the k dick book or the original script added at the last minute by scott because he's a retarded hack althought visually gifted in his prime he was always a pure child of the advertising school of filmmaking, all style and no substance, only carried by his talented collaborators during these early years which was due to jodo's dune, this highly innovative and creative leftover team from the leftover project, for both alien and blade runner you had dan o bannon the alien writer who was close to the blade runner screenwriter and metal hurlant comic book artist moebius who was the main visual influence for blade runner just like giger was brought in for dune etc scott was just lucky all these talents were interacting together at the same time and he leeched off them but he is a hack on his own as proved by literally every single film he's made on his own for the following four decades even his brother tony was a better judge of ideas and had more narrative and thematic cohesiveness to his filmography yet remained unsung as an auteur, tragic his suicide was, meanwhile hack ridley remains praised by cinema illiterate morons who dont understand anything about anything lmao who the fuck went to see his mars flick or the latest alien turd expecting kino these retard never ever fucking learn anyway this twist is shit because it kills the entire thematic point of the human being less of an emotional human than the robots he should have remained a human for the contrast otherwise that beautiful poignant improvised monologue from that cyborg nigga about tears in the rain one of the most kino scene in cinema history literally loses all its meaning and interesting relevance, and for what a twist the cheapest form of storytelling the proof of pure hacks, see also other retards like nolan or shyamalan who kept overrelying on em to hide lack of real talent
>>
Is this entire thread satire?
>>
I watched it today, too, and my main thought after watching it is that Roy is kind of a dick

>Tyrell made him and loves him
>Gets painfully murdered

>Rick murders his clone girlfriend and is out to murder him
>lol you get to live and learn a lesson about how life is precious and it sucks to be us

Come on!
>>
>>84578991
Elaborate
>>
>>84579377
Holy fuck, this might be the best post I have ever seen on /tv/. Thought for sure it was copy-pasta. You're passionate, alright.
>>
>>84579363
Except that replicants who don't know they're replicants are unheard of. That's why Deckard, who deals with replicants for a living, is shocked when he encounters the experimental model with implanted memories.
>>
>>84579345
I paid full attention to the movie and didn't get it either
>>
that time gaff made the figure with the erection out of the matchstick was his way of telling deckard that he knew about his tyrell-implanted erotic dreams
>>
that time gaff made an origami chicken was his way of telling deckard that he knew that tyrell had imbued him with a love of kentucky fried chicken
>>
>>84579874
>Deals with replicants for a living
Anon, he's like one week old.
>>
File: forehead smile.jpg (134KB, 802x802px) Image search: [Google]
forehead smile.jpg
134KB, 802x802px
>>84579363
>balde runners
>he hunts the betafags hiding in plain sight wearing wigs
>>
>>84580412
This. Why do people use his cardboard tent of a backstory, as proof that he's not a replicant when we meet another one 30 minutes into the movie?
>>
>>84580764
It actually gives the movie more depth, too.
Edward James Olmos is in fact the real Blade Runner. That scene when Deckard walks in the Police precinct is the first time he ever sets foot there and the Lieutenant is scared shitless this fucking robot is going to go nuts and kill him, while Olmos is waiting in the background to make sure and stop him if it ever gets to that.
>>
>>84581038
It does make Roy's monologue at the end kinda feel completely wasted, though.
>>
>>84581425
Tells deckard how to live his new life, senpai.
>>
>>84579403
RLM dickriders.
>>
File: he can talk.jpg (62KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
he can talk.jpg
62KB, 640x480px
>Deckard is a replicant
>after Roy dies, Gaff tells Deckard he's "done a man's job"
>>
>>84581425
I don't see how.
>>
>>84581465
Eh, I suppose. But I do see the argument for people who don't want Deckard to be a replicant. The monologue strikes me as much more powerful if it were being relayed to a human.
>>
>>84581538
Deckard is human at that point in time, for all intents and purposes.
>>
>>84581538
Why does it matter? If anything it would further blur the lines of what defines human.
>>
>>84578991
t. reddit letter media
>>
File: muh dragons.jpg (84KB, 508x504px) Image search: [Google]
muh dragons.jpg
84KB, 508x504px
>>84580328
>>84580401
>>
>>84578971
What's wrong with Deckard being a replicant?

RLM were all over it like some kind of flaw?
>>
>>84581538
It's much more powerful if it's relayed to a human that then gets the privilege to interpret it again as a replicant.
>>
>>84582027
RLM was upset because they thought it was revisionism, but they didn't realize the movie was full of hints already, not just the unicorn.
>>
>Tyrell explains to Roy how he can't make replicants live longer
>Deckard is alive in 2049
Is the movie actually going to be about how Deckard succeeded in finding the solution to extended replicant life, and Gosling has to hunt him down and figure out what he did?
>>
>>84582027
>>84582269
RLM is incredibly overrated.
You can follow them for SW and capeshit but the moment they start to talk about something else, you realise how bad; superficial and misinformed they are.
>>
>>84582333
Deckard from the new Blade Runner is the actual human being that Deckard the Replicant from the original was based on.
>>
>>84582354
I like RLM. I feel like they are an entertaining waste of time. Their video was what made me interested enough to finally give this movie a watch to begin with. I completely disagree with their opinion on the movie, though. I didn't think it was boring for one second, which is impressive considering its two hour runtime.
>>
>>84582401
I think yours is the right and healthy attitude. Laugh at the jokes, disregard their hyper-pleb opinions and often misinformed bullshit.
>>
>>84582367
>replicant Deckard tracked him down
>real Deckard had to kill his own copy
>says fuck it and exiles himself from society because it's all fucked
>>
>>84579249

Deckard's mind was implanted with Gaff's memories. Gaff is clearly retired and injured (cane, fucked up eye, etc.), Deckard was the experimental model of a replicant-turned-Blade-Runner created to hunt and kill his own kind while believing he himself is actually human.

That's why Gaff seems so angry with him all the time, why he's basically his babysitter/chauffeur, why he knows exactly where Deckard will go and what actions he will take, and why he uses the very specific phrasing of "you've done a man's job, sir" when he congratulates Deckard at the end. Also why he knows Deckard dreamed of a unicorn.
>>
>>84582333
When did Tyrell say the new models had a short lifespan?
>>
>>84582401
ENHANCE
I think they just tend not to like the film, and then developed a tendency to bring that fact up a lot as entertainers because it garners attention. And then in the video beta Jay was supposed to defend the film but he felt intimidated by alpha Jay and didn't say anything to that effect other than saying Ford's acting gave vulnerability and it was supposed to be bad in some scenes because he was trying to get them to cut that part out. It was like the Mike / Jay meme:
>Jay: What a shit movie. What did you think?
>Mike: I thought it was pretty good.
>Jay: Well yeah, it wasn't so bad. I kinda liked it in parts.
>>
>>84579655
>Tyrell made him and loves him

He had him doing slave labor in an off-world colony for his short ass life span only to be replaced with another when he died. That's not love.

Tyrell was an egomaniac and a monster.
>>
>>84582640
When Roy is interrogating him, they got into a whole argument about not being able to support the artificially created cells or something for longer. It's all some bullshit fake science, but the gist of it I got was that Roy & co. were as stable as he had figured out how to make them, and then Roy just dies on the roof.
>>
so what's better, theatrical cut or final cut?
>>
File: 1498773689142.jpg (23KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1498773689142.jpg
23KB, 300x300px
>RLM reviews film
>suddenly tons of threads about the film appear on /tv/
>>
>>84582767
Theatrical. I'd rather deal with the voice-overs than the blue filter.
>>
>>84578971
RLM: Getting Generation Z to watch movies since 2012.
>>
>>84582739
I just interpreted it for specifically Roy, as he was an older model so their was nothing they could do for him.
>>
>>84582806
The video has over 200,000 views and it only takes one person to make a thread.
>why are people watching and discussing a film that was just advertised to them
>>
>>84582893
this just means that Gen Z will never have the chance to form their own opinion because it will always be dictated by RLM's opinion
>>
>>84582806

Happens with every Re-View.

I've never seen so many Starship Troopers threads as I did a month ago.
>>
>>84582951
yeah i don't mind that threads are being made but the fact that the threads are never made before the review worries me. it's like people here will only discuss movies RLM have reviewed.
>>
>it's an RLM shills turn a Blade Runner thread into yet another shit RLM worshipping thread
>>
>>84582806
Thank God, we get to actually discuss films for once.
>>
>>84582992
>>84583064
These films are 20 / 35 years old. I don't get why it's so weird that people wouldn't be making constant threads about them until someone else brings them up. There are plenty of 80s/90s movies that don't get daily threads here which would garner some replies if I suddenly brought them up.
>it's like people here will only discuss movies RLM have reviewed.
Oh neat, they did a Truman Show re:View?
>>
>>84581538
But the whole point of the fucking movie is that there really isn't much difference between replicants and "actual" humans...
>>
>>84583257
Is "more human than human" supposed to just be a marketing meme?
>>
>>84583333
Roy is a "super human" slave that lived life twice as bright due to his short life.
>>
>>84579249
The real answer is that Gaff making figures throughout the movie sets up the ending. Deckard finds the unicorn figure and knows that Gaff was there, but he's letting Deckard and Rachel go.

But adding a stupid unicorn means that Gaff had seen Deckard's mind because Deckard's a replicant, and made a unicorn to clue him in.
>>
>>84583544
That's just a bullshit consolation he tries to offer, like "Yeah, you only get to live a few years, but you had so many great experiences in your four years of slavery. Remember that time you saw attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion? These people down on Earth don't get to see that cool shit!" Meanwhile there were people with full lives living out there, being served by him, and fighting and dying in those attack ships.
>>
>>84583823
What are you taking about?
>>
>>84582027
It's stupid, and even when you know, it doesn't really effect the story of the movie. You could take out the unicorn scene completely, and it doesn't change anything except there's no stupid "twist".
>>
>>84582767
Final Cut. As stupid as the unicorn thing is, it's not anywhere near as bad as the voice over.
>>
>>84583902
What exactly was "twice as bright" about Roy's life? That he had super strength for his manual labor? That he saw space warfare from a distance?
>>
File: deckard and rachel.jpg (202KB, 2048x1366px) Image search: [Google]
deckard and rachel.jpg
202KB, 2048x1366px
Was it rape?
>>
>>84583913
>It's stupid, and even when you know, it doesn't really effect the story of the movie.

One of the central themes of the movie is the ambiguity of the humanity of replicants.
How in the fuck would Deckard being a replicant NOT change our perspective on his actions and the movie.
>>
File: blue.jpg (202KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
blue.jpg
202KB, 1920x1080px
>>84583993
But you also have to deal with everything being blue.
>>
>>84584017
His emotional state and his insight of morality is the most advanced in the film.
>>
>>84584023
Yeah
>>
>these people spouting jays opinion
His critique of this movie actually destroyed him as an actual critic for me. He made observations that were false, like the replicants acting like robots (the most eccentric characters in the movie) certain tense scenes being boring, criticizing a movie as boring as a legitimate critique without stating why thats bad (is this even meant to be an exciting action movie?) and a ton of other shit he came out with. What a hack.
>>
>>84578971
Honest question, if Deckard is supposed to be a replicant why has he aged in the new movie coming out? Is the new movie wrong? Am I retarded and don't know that replicants can age?
>>
>>84584023
He was trying to make her feel things that are visceral and animalistic / trying to prove he himself is capable of actually emotions.
>>
File: 1498971339286.jpg (130KB, 355x440px) Image search: [Google]
1498971339286.jpg
130KB, 355x440px
>>84579377
This guy knows what time it is
>>
>>84584206
See: >>84582367
BUT HEY... THAT'S JUST A THEORY...
>>
>>84584162
Same for me. Jay was the only RLMediocre that kind of respected but it turned out as much bad as Mike.
>>
>>84584162
This there really wasn't one valid criticism other than "I didn't like it."

Complaining about Deckard being a replicant is just retarded.
>>
Best scene in the whole movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwJEb3vJvWY
>>
>>84584023
I say no. I think she wanted him but didn't know how to act on that desire on account of her sheltered life and probable lack of sex education, so when he started kissing her, she didn't understand what was happening and was probably scared as a result, not knowing what he was doing was normal. I think him forcing himself on her was ultimately the only way to get her to understand love since she wasn't truly human and likely would never understand if he hadn't done what he did. It may have seemed inappropriate but in the long run I think she would eventually come to understand why he acted that way.
>>
>>84584512
How about the fact that they do these Voight Kaumpf tests on people that are clearly replicants? I love the movie but that always bugged me. Watch the interview with Leon at the beginning or the interview with Rachael. Anyone could tell they weren't human. They behave so strangely. Either they aren't human or they're autistic.
>>
>>84584773
The test is to make sure blade runners aren't just gunning down random autists.
>>
File: 1498066071747.jpg (61KB, 410x690px) Image search: [Google]
1498066071747.jpg
61KB, 410x690px
what's the unequivocal best version to watch?
>>
>>84584887
Final Cut. Doesn't have the shitty narration like the theatrical cut and doesn't cut out the gore or change Roy's "father" line like the director's cut.
>>
>>84584887
Honestly, it doesn't fucking matter. It's a great movie no matter which version you go with. And each one has its advantages and disadvantages.
>>
>>84579810
Deckard is human.
>>
>>84585015
Elaborate
>>
>>84582707
this
>>
File: 1416180630756.gif (1MB, 195x229px) Image search: [Google]
1416180630756.gif
1MB, 195x229px
>>84585015
>>
>>84585015
No
>>
>>84585772
The story is about a cop hunting robots who have more humanity than him.
>>
>>84585803
>The dude loudly howling like a wolf is so humane
Shit retards say
>>
>>84585867
Roy shows more emotion than Deckard does. 90% of Deckard's dialogue is borderline monotone and he sounds like he's on downers.
>>
>>84579020
Deckard is not a replicant. Scott is a faggot.
>>
>>84585803
Partially
>>
>>84583064
>yeah i don't mind that threads are being made but the fact that the threads are never made before the review worries me

Back when /tv/ was fresh and up until 2012 there were blade runner threads every day with people proclaiming that it was the best sci-fi (and even movie sometimes) ever made. This was back when ack-ack and Easy-E were the main memes of the board.
>>
>>84586061
>Scott didn't write what he thought he wrote
Are you simple?
>>
I love the film and liked the ambiguity of it. the idea of the film to me is it never really mattered if he was a replicant or not. because Deckard is still the same person. he looks like a human. acts like a human. and thinks he's a human and is for all intents and purposes a human, and a better person than most of the assholes he encounters through the film.

But for some reason Ridley wanted to go full retard and make it 100% certain to the audience Deckard was a replicant. why does it even matter?
>>
>Deckard isn't a replicant

Eh...
>>
File: pepe.jpg (14KB, 306x306px) Image search: [Google]
pepe.jpg
14KB, 306x306px
Deckard was always supposed to be a replicant.

If he's not, then who the fuck is Edward James Olmos, what is with his disposition toward Deckard, and how do you explain "you've done a man's job"?

Ridley just had to beat his audience over the head with it in later releases, but it's always been there.
>>
>>84586511
Also he puts that origami unicron on the floor in front of his apartment. Could it be because he knew about Deckard's unicron vision? If so, how does he know about it? I imagine Deckard never told anyone about it. Maybe the vision was planted in his head because he's a replicant and Gaff knows about that.
>>
>>84586637
That unicorn vision was added in the final cut so that Scott could beat his audience over the head that Deckard is a replicant. Originally, it was just an origami to let Deckard know that he was there.
>>
File: images.jpg (6KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
6KB, 300x168px
Am I going crazy? "Knowing that according to Ridley Scott, Deckard is a replicant, why do I care about anything in this movie?" - Jay from RLM. Has Jay always been this dumb? Why the hell do people keep thinking that Blade Runner is all about if Deckard is a replicant or not? It barely has any impact whatsoever on the movie's themes. And then he complains about reusing footage as it would be something inherently bad? Why?? WHY?
This is seriously one of the worst reviews RLM has done ever.
>>
>>84586814
Apparently the unicorn is in fact NOT reused footage but was filmed in 81. Just shows how bad this review is even further.
>>
>>84586141
Scott didn't write anything. That's the problem. He just edited in a scene from another movie, to make this movie imply something the writer never anticipated.
>>
>>84586799
Oh well, the final cut is the best version so...
>>
>>84586511
>how do you explain "you've done a man's job"?
His whole job is about enforcing the divide between man and android. Roy just made him feel like an inadequate piece of shit. Gaff is reassuring him that he did a man's job.
>>
>>84587049
>He just edited in a scene from another movie,
RLM drone detected.
>>
>>84587078
So you've never seen the other versions yet you spout off that the "unicron vision" was there since the beginning?
>>
>>84587049
Are you fucking retarded?
>>
>>84587183
I've seen the director's cut. Wasn't as good so I only watched it once. I haven't seen the theatrical cut and don't plan to because I saw a clip of the "tears in the rain" scene where Deckard's narration comes in at the end and ruins the entire scene, and I've heard the narration hampers the movie quite a bit anyway.
>>
>>84587161
Entirely doesn't matter where it came from. It's just a shot of a unicorn running that is completely divorced from the rest of the construction of the film.
>>84587194
>screenwriter write script based on novel which plays with the idea that Deckard might be an android but it turns out he is not
>screenwriter doesn't think Deckard is a replicant
>writes movie around the idea of a human hunting down replicants and being outshone by a replicant
>director adds in a billboard that says "Disregard that, Deckard sucks dicks"
Oh, well, shit, I guess he was just in the closet when he kissed Rachael.
>>
>>84587279
The director interprets the script how he wants, the writer doesn't have any say in it.
>>
>>84578971
This man with his unblinking face and limited acting ability will ruin the movie. As if Hollywood raping 90% of the franchises it picks for reboot wouldn't be enough. And there's nothing we can do about it. FML.
>>
Is it normal to have homoerotic feelings for Roy after watching this?
>>
>>84587279
>is completely divorced from the rest of the construction of the film
Jesus Christ. Drones, indeed.
Go back to capeshit.
>>
>>84582606
Cool fan fiction, but deckard is human. See the sequel for confirmation.
>>
>>84587434
>talking about the Goose like that

He's a treasure on this board. But I know what you mean.
>>
>>84587805
You've seen it?
>>
>>84587805
>Cool fan fiction, but allow me to spout literal fan fiction
>>
>>84581715

If Deckard's a human, I see it as Roy relaying how much meaning and wonder his short life as a slave has had with him being able to see the marvels of space, while Deckard's free human and comparatively longer life has only seen the brokeness of Earth.
>>
>>84588608
Deckard doesn't know he's a replicant when he hears the speech
>>
I thought the dream was just driving home the self doubt of decker rather than outright forcing the idea he wasa replicant because all you need for the story is for him and the audience to doubt.
>>
>>84578971
>pretty fun and cool movie
jesus man....
>>
if deckard is a replicant he's the worst replicant model ever
>>
>>84584887
Final Cut. It's the only one worth watching.
>>
What is this about the unicorn dream? Also him being a replicant kinda misses the point of the events of the film showing him that replicants are like real human beans and he being the human hunter, like the whole Big Boy Roy speech as he dies.
>>
The changes in the final/directors cut objectively make the film more engaging, and just generally better.
>>
>>84581475
In The making off docu they show raw footage of that scene and the full line is "You've done a man's job....but are you really a man?"
Deckard was always meant to be a replicant
>>
Whats the excuse they'll give in the sequel for old man replicant deckard.
>>
Why watch films when reddit letter media can do it for you?
>>
>>84587805
With the words of Ridley Scott himself (yes, he said about this very topic):

"Can't be any clearer than that. If you don't get it, you're a moron."

>>84591681
Can confirm. The Final Cut is how always wanted to release the movie, but it got butchered by the studio. Hence why he only had a chance to make his version 25 years later.
>>
File: 1488696776594.png (781KB, 516x849px) Image search: [Google]
1488696776594.png
781KB, 516x849px
The movie is bittersweet, hard to relate to like a jagged little pill it hurts going down and it won't fix you if there isn't anything wrong to begin with.

That's why people who love it typically have something inside them that's broken. While Blade Runner is broken and kind of a mess it fits me perfectly.

I can't make you enjoy it just like I can't make you enjoy a rainy day. I guess what we've been arguing for 30+ years is that it might not deserve your adoration or respect but it deserves to exist.
>>
That scene with the unicorn was borderline experimental!
>>
>>84592056
>The Final Cut is how always wanted to release the movie
Did the studio say his version was too blue in 1982 or something?
>>
File: 982BLR_Rutger_Hauer_005.jpg (63KB, 852x480px) Image search: [Google]
982BLR_Rutger_Hauer_005.jpg
63KB, 852x480px
In some versions Batty killed Sebastian. I'm totally against this. Sebastian is just like the replicants (he's literally has a disease that greatly shortens his life). So why did Batty kill him (yet spare Deckard)?
>>
>>84592418
In which versions?
>>
>>84592418
Because he's a fucking soulless machine.
>>
I honestly liked the movie, a lot when i watched it the first time. It has a unique type of sci-fi noir and the story seems deep. That being said, I'm still confused about what I just watched lol
>>
>>84592523

Then why save Deckard?
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (7KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
7KB, 480x360px
"I want more life, FUCKER."
vs.
"I want more life, FATHER."

I like "fucker".
>>
>>84592351
Basically after the poor ratings from the focus groups the studio kept fucking with certain parts of the movie (unicorn, certain violent scenes, happy ending, voiceover etc.) Scott and the studio had some creative differences to begin with, that those were not that influential as one would think.

That's why Blade Runner had two different sneak previews, one theatrical cut for the US and another for international market then the aforementioned Director's then Final Cut. Any of the last two worth watching but only the last contains numerous audiovisual improvements.
>>
>>84592418
Because at that point in his character arc he still couldn't empathize.
>>
>>84592418
He's a loose end. He wants to kill him in the novel.
>>
>>84592863
I like the Perfect Cut where they add in a pause after "I want more life" and then cut to a shot of Pris and he says "FUCK ER," implying he wants Tyrell to knock up Pris and make a half-human, half-replicant hybrid, thus producing the ultimate pottery.
>>
>>84578971
In regards to the Unicorn, it wasn't a dream - it was a memory, and Unicorns aren't real. Also, Gaff knew about said memory.

Such a thing is expressed during the commentary by Scott, he expresses that when Deckard is playing with the Piano it triggers a memory like if you smell or hear something, it may remind you of an embarrassing event.

Unicorns can also represent virginity or purity.
>>
File: disgust.webm (209KB, 344x364px) Image search: [Google]
disgust.webm
209KB, 344x364px
>everyone parroting RLM opinions after watching the re:view

jesus christ this board's average age has to be like 15 years old

why am I still here
>>
>>84595142
Are they wrong?
>>
>>84595266
A lot of the time yes.
>>
>>84595266
Since they think the unicorn scene is the only reference to deckard being a replicant, and basing a large amount of hate on it, I suppose so.
>>
>>84579377
Woah
>>
File: IMG_0601.png (2MB, 1904x780px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0601.png
2MB, 1904x780px
>Everyone is a replicant if they reflect light according to these theorists.

Scott liked the effect and later tried to add symbolism and meaning to it.
>>
havent watched it yet
reply which version I should watch and it'll be the only version of blade runner to exist to me
>>
>>84596115
The final cut off the one Scott wanted to make. That alone, is why it's the only version to watch.
>>
Personally I like Deckard's narration. I thinks it's the best choice for any first time viewer. I watched the movie at least 2-3 times a year. I usually pick a different cut each time just to switch it up.

I would go with the international theatrical cut for a first time watch.
>>
>>84583064
>random youtubers capable of making this shithole board stop posting big black cocks and talk about great movies

Thanks Jay. Thanks Canadian Jay.
>>
>>84578971

Proof that he was a replicant.

> Also, why didn't Pris just snap Decker's neck when he had him on the vag stronghold?

Again he's a replicant and the same reason how he survived the pummeling from Roy.
>>
One has to assume that RLM's audience smells of processed cheese and their father's disappointment
>>
>>84579874
>Except that replicants who don't know they're replicants are unheard of

there's a major character in the film that is a replicant who doesn't know they're a replicant, retard
>>
Replicant
>>
>>84578971
If you watch it a second time, it's nearly impossible to not see that deckard is a replicant.
>>
>TFW I like the comfy narration
>>
>>84591474
At the end of the movie, Deckard finds an Origami figure of an unicorn in his apartment from Gaff (letting him know that he was there and he knows about Rachel, but he lets him go with her despite the fact she's a Replicant) From the Director's Cut (1992) onward, a scene is added where Deckard is dreaming about a unicorn galloping down a forest around the middle of the movie. The context becomes blatantly about Gaff knowing what Deckard is dreaming of, because Deckard is actually a Replicant.
>>
>>84584773
>>84584819
>the Voight-Kaumpf test can detect escaped NEETs in 30 questions or less
>>
>>84591681
You mean the unicorn scene? What else did they even change other than that?
>>
File: raccoons.png (842KB, 1806x640px) Image search: [Google]
raccoons.png
842KB, 1806x640px
Who is the best raccoon?
>>
>>84595142
Who are you even referring to? The OP said he liked the movie and just didn't understand the Unicorn scene.
>>
>>84578971
>Also, why didn't Pris just snap Decker's neck when he had him on the vag stronghold?- 164 posts and 20 image replies shown.
Because of Deckard's strong replicant neck
>>
>>84598723
:|
>>
>>84598826
You got a better explanation?
>>
If their eyes shine like crazy, why don't they just test for that instead of bothering with the questions?
>>
File: 1466122688270.gif (4MB, 250x259px) Image search: [Google]
1466122688270.gif
4MB, 250x259px
>>84587434
>Ryan Gosling is bad actor

This is a shitty meme and I dislike it.
>>
>>84592863
No, him saying fucker is very stupid and out of character.
>>
>>84598594
Obviously Daryl Hannah. She's hot as fuck in this movie.
>>
>>84592863
Father is way more appropriate, I think
>>
>>84599192
What le hell is going on in this gif? Someone redpill me please.
>>
>>84582739
"You were made as well as we could make you" is pretty vague
>>
>>84599333
No, they actually have a detailed exchange about why he can't extend his life span. It's actually pretty satisfying for once to see a character in that position to answer with more than just "uh, we did our best" even if it was bullshit fake science like that guy said.
>>
File: 1479526415912.webm (1MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1479526415912.webm
1MB, 640x360px
I know you guys are all a bunch of straight edge anti-drug goody two shoes, but rewatching the Final Cut (for the third time) on LSD was one of the most engaging and beautiful experiences I've ever had watching a film.

The soundtrack pierced my skin. I felt changes in my body temperature as the tone and focus shifted from protagonist to antagonist. It was like my eyes had developed a sense of thirst, and the colors and visual effects were pouring over them like a waterfall. I was mesmerized.

Blade Runner will always hold a place in my heart as a fantastic sci-fi film and one of the best (if least faithful) PKD coincidentally, my favorite author adaptations brought to the big screen. But from that one viewing, images and scenes are permanently burned into my retina. I highly recommend such a viewing to any curious souls.
>>
>>84599381
I just watched it. It was about how they can't fix it, but they he didn't mention starting from scratch.
>>
>>84599472
Also the 4 year lifespan is referenced many times to be an intentional feature.
>>
>>84599437
DUDE
>>
>>84599472
Yes I realize that.
>>
>>84578971

There are a large number of cuts of the film. It sounds like you watched something close to the director's cut (or perhaps "the final cut") though so I'll comment on that particular cut (director's cut) and see if you recognize what I'm referring to.

A central theme of the story is that replicants have advanced to the point where it makes sense for their designers to simply implant human memories in them, the better to control them. So instead of having some man-sized thing get "turned on" all-of-a-sudden and socialize in the world and understand very, very quickly that it is not a real human bean but /something else/, it just makes it easier to control the things by implanting memories in them. Deckard tells Rachel something about her false memories that only she could know, and then dismissing it, thus confirming to her that she is not human. Naturally, this causes a major identity crisis, and deeply disturbs the humanoid character Rachel.

At important points in the story, Rachel asks Deckard whether he has taken VK himself. Further, the unicorn dream seems to be important. Depending on the cut you're watching (esp director's and final), the minor cop-character places a little foil-unicorn thingy near Deckard's door. This would seem to be a hint that just as Deckard knew Rachel's private (programmed) thoughts, so too does this Gaff know Deckard's private (programmed) dreams. Which is why Deckard nods knowingly and simply absconds with Rachel, so that they can live as they will together.

Many anons on this board sincerely dislike the "Deckard is a replicant" idea for various reasons, but I sincerely believe that it's the best intention of the film's story, based upon the above - not least because self-doubt of identity is a great sci-fi concept, and a logical and brainy end of an otherwise flashy detective movie. I am prepared to reject the canonicity of the sequel in any event, in order to defend my interpretation of the original.
>>
File: 1470341172739.jpg (45KB, 333x333px) Image search: [Google]
1470341172739.jpg
45KB, 333x333px
>>84599897
Scott is a producer, so hopefully it's consistent with what he wanted for the original.
>>
>>84599437

I saw it in the theater maybe two years ago. I'm used to the director's cut, and they're functionally the same, but the little bits were interesting.

There's a brief shot in FC of topless stripper-gogo-girls dancing while wearing like weird hockey masks or such. This sort of image is just weeaboo/Akira as fuck, and just cements the already-known aesthetic of the other cuts of the film. This little bit thus "confirms" in an odd way what it was already contemporaneous with.
>>
File: tonni.jpg (107KB, 878x1158px) Image search: [Google]
tonni.jpg
107KB, 878x1158px
>All these faggots who watched it because of RLM and are now aping their comments
>>
>>84599897

I wish to state for the record that I'm almost done reading Wittgenstein's Philosophical Investigations and having just written the above post, I now better appreciate the often frustrating items in the text. Wittgenstein does anticipate just these sorts of problems about being and technology which have informed sci-fi.
>>
File: roy and tyrell.jpg (29KB, 500x346px) Image search: [Google]
roy and tyrell.jpg
29KB, 500x346px
Why were Billy Idol and Lou Reed in Blade Runner?
>>
>>84584023
Anyone else notice how pale and dead looking Deckard looks in this scene? Like Harrison is wearing make-up.
>>
Blade runner was a shitty boring movie, Mike Jay and Rich are right.
>>
>>84593924
>muh novel
>blade runner isnt a loose adaption of do androids dream of electric sheep
>>
If deckard is a replicant then why is he inferior in every way to all the other replicants? He's slower, weaker, dumber, and way more fragile then all the other models.
>>
>>84602430
Because he's not made for manual labor.
>>
Blade Runner isn't fin and cool, and it was never meant to be. It's a depressing dystopian future. That's why it tanked at the BO. People expected Star Wars like sci-fi
>>
>>84604158
Chasing and killing robots isn't manual labor?
>>
>>84600177
Who are you even referring to? The OP said he liked the movie and just didn't understand the Unicorn scene.
>>
To all idiots who think DECKARD IS A REPLICANT: HE FUCKING ISN'T

Deckard being a replicant would defeat the whole purpose of the movie. Fucking plebs.
>>
>>84605047
How?
>>
>>84605067
The movie makes a statement on human nature by putting an emotionless HUMAN against a suffering MACHINE. If you make Deckard a replicant it doesn't make sense.

You know, things might have deeper levels of interpretation, it's not just what you see on screen.
>>
File: dog.jpg (97KB, 700x661px) Image search: [Google]
dog.jpg
97KB, 700x661px
>>84605047
This. It shifts the meaning from "Some androids have humanity, some humans don't" to "Some androids have humanity, some don't."
>>
>>84595425
What other "evidence" is there? Scott heard about the fan theory after finishing the movie and liked it so much that he backpedaled on the entire premise.

Ask yourself this: If Ridley Scott had actually intended Deckard to be a replicant from the beginning and was being really subtle about presenting the idea, would he have felt the need to go back and edit in a fucking Unicorn scene which is the equivalent of a giant flashing "Deckard is a replicant" sign? No. The fact that he did go back and edit the scene in, is proof enough that originally Deckard wasn't meant to be a replicant. Furthermore: I'm willing to bet that they didn't even see it as a possible theory.
>>
>>84580764
the other one is kept isolated while deckart runs around having interaction with others who only pretend to know him longer than a week because they are all in at the game ? ....

its thinking like this >>84579363 that drove scotthack into believing its a baller twist
>>
>>84578971
nicely veiled bait thread

i give it 9/10
>>
>>84602430
>If deckard is a replicant then why is he inferior in every way to all the other replicants? He's slower, weaker, dumber, and way more fragile then all the other models.

Dear God!! He takes down the others because he is superior. He wins.
>>
>>84605339
He wins through pure luck.
>>
>>84605168
my man
>>
File: hell.jpg (88KB, 854x859px) Image search: [Google]
hell.jpg
88KB, 854x859px
>>84605339
>imagine being this stupid
>>
>>84605369
Yea... That is how you win. Bet you are quite the winner yourself with that understanding.
>>
>>84605339
He doesn't win. He survives because a replicant takes pity on him. And the original anon is correct: sending an inferior replicant to hunt superior replicants is beyond retarded and you'd have to be completely braindead to write a plot that bad. So either Balderunner has irredeemably shit writing or Deckard isn't a replicant.
>>
>>84605101
And Deckard is still a human being while that scene is happening
>>
>>84605273
>You did a man's job... but are you really a man?
Watch the making off documentary. That is literally the line that is said. You're wrong.
>>
>people being contrarian and praising the unicorn and deckard being a replicant

Why does this always happen?
>>
>>84605292
You have no idea what bait means.
>>
>>84605339
He literally just shoots two sexbots. Leon was about to kill him until Rachael stepped in and saved him, and Roy was also about to kill him until he decided not to and just died to time.
>>
>>84605638
Because it's unironically a good scene and because there's always a ton of misinformation about how it was Ridley Scott back-pedaling on it, when in fact, it was there since the very first workprint version.

The only way you can realistically deny that there's at least the possibility that Deckard is a replicant is if you stand by the theatrical version with the awful narration.
>>
>>84605630
Olmos said that full line during filming, or Scott claimed 20 years after the fact that that's how he always interpreted the line?
>>
>>84605657
>Leon was about to kill him
You don't know that
>>
>>84605713
Olmos literally said "but are you really a man?". Watch the making off.
>>
>>84605723
>tried to punch his head so hard that when he missed he punched clean through a truck
>>
>>84605700
Or yknow, look at anything the writer said and how the entire current of the film is how these man made things are indistinguishable from humans, down to their feelings, emotions and reactions. But nah, deckard being a 30 yr old replicant that everyone else has memories of and his old boss acknowledges worked with him for years and years, has no special abilities, is fragile, an alcoholic, weak and has poor aim all makes perfect sense.
>>
>>84599051
Because it's not. They have to test their reaction to emotional situations.
Dekard is human.
>>
>>84605774
Which makes sense to say if the story is about an nihilistic mopey shit heal regaining his humanity.
>>
>>84605630
>>You did a man's job... but are you really a man?
Is this supposed to prove that Deckard is a replicant? Seriously? At the end of the hunt - the hunter's humanity is questioned, it's the oldest trope in the book and has nothing to do with Deckard being a literal replicant, but rather him having so little emotion and love for life that he's lost that which usually separates real humans from fake ones.
The irony is that his murderous, evil nemesis is in many ways more human than himself.
>>
>>84605823
Or we believe the man who said that the reason the engineers hate humans is because humans killed Jesus Christ.
>>
>>84605498
>sending an inferior replicant to hunt superior replicants is beyond retarded and you'd have to be completely braindead to write a plot that bad.

So Rick Deckard hunts replicants, being a "Blade Runner", based on luck. They assign him to the task not because of his skills, but despite his skills. Regardless of Deckard being a replicant or not.

Tsk tsk....
>>
>>84605776
You don't know what Deckard is made of.
>>
>>84605965
Your trolling is low energy. Sad!
>>
File: 1422282043014.jpg (108KB, 628x478px) Image search: [Google]
1422282043014.jpg
108KB, 628x478px
>>84579377
>wasnt in the k dick book
Talking about the book at all in relation to the movie.
>>
>>84606058

Naahh.. Not trolling. Explaining victory as outcome of luck is loosers talk.
>>
>>84605965
He's a skilled, and armed, human. In his prime, he was probably great at it, but the Nexus-6 is a new, highly advanced model which has surpassed humans in terms of physical ability. Maybe at that point they should have replicants act as blade runners, but if Deckard were a freshly made replicant, you'd think they'd have made him a better model.
>>
>>84606121
>Naahh.. Not trolling
So you're just devoid of rational thought, good to know.
>>
>>84578991
T. REDDIT LETTER
>>
>>84578971
Do replicats dream?
>>
>>84606331
Or of you have watched any of his other movies or watched any interviews. Mans a drunk and probably senile.
>>
why do people like this movie at all
>>
>>84606670
Visuals

Its also nerd core since decent sci fi is hard to come by.
>>
File: 1493108167269.png (4MB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1493108167269.png
4MB, 1920x1200px
>>84606709
The visuals are stunning and overall the movie could have been better paced which would make it a lot better but there are still gaps.

Man you saying the visuals really got me into it though, I'm actually hard boner for cyberpunk (not necessarily scifi in general though) and I really love the aesthetics of this movie. Do you know any other cyberpunk films?
>>
Deckard is human, he didn't have any special ability and survives more than 20 years for 2049

If he was a replicant, then Roy's speech loses its meaning.
>>
>>84606128
He killed all four, seems like he was the perfect match.
>>
>>84606789
>overall the movie could have been better paced
The movie was perfectly paced, though. The fuck is badly paced about it? Don't tell me you're one of those faggots that goes "Boooring" because there are moments of silence to build up atmosphere and not just action hits and quirky quips every five seconds.
>>
>>84607033
See: >>84605657
>>
>>84606789
If you're ok with anime: Ghost in the Shell has the best cyberpunk city rendition, along with Blade runner. Others include:
The Fifth Element
Judge Dredd
Robocop
District 9
Elysium
I, Robot
The Island
Some of those go easy on the cyberpunk visuals and deal more with cyberpunk themes, though.
>>
>>84607010
>If he was a replicant, then Roy's speech loses its meaning.
Elaborate
>>
File: 1494710069864.jpg (186KB, 630x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1494710069864.jpg
186KB, 630x1200px
>>84607082
I'm only speaking from memory and I watched the movie in school like 10 years ago. I was 13 or 14 at the time I'm 24 now. Watching that latest rlm video they showed the whole zooming and tracking thing and I kinda feel like I remember lots of just empty moments like that. (though it did make it feel alive.) I don't really like movies that are really really slow, not that they're bad because of it. I watch the Palme d'Or winning movies and Winter Sleep was so dreadfully long and slow paced I was so bored but it really was a great movie.
>>
>>84582027
Nothing, but the unicorn scene made it lean too heavily one way.
>>
File: 1469082638346.png (253KB, 520x302px) Image search: [Google]
1469082638346.png
253KB, 520x302px
>>84607103
I'm by no means a weeb but I watch some good anime. I loved Ghost in the shell and also Akira. I've seen literally everything you listed. Good list, good taste. Do you have more?

I also like biopunk movies like gattaca.
>>
>>84579377
I'm saving this
>>
>>84607116

Roy, in the end, was more human than Deckard

Roy was a rogue android that felt anger, bitterness and, in the end, compassion (that's why he saved Deckard)

Deckard, was a human that just followed orders, like a robot.

His speech was him trying to gave a meaning for his life, that he was more than an expendable robot.
>>
>>84607183
>I was parroting RLM
Oh, ok. Thanks for the worthless opinion.
>>
I've never seen the film but the book is fantastic. One of the main points is that the main character isn't a replicant tho, so why would they imply that in the film?
>>
>>84607310
Deckard is human at that point in time, for all intents and purposes. The Replicant reveal comes after.
>>
>>84607440
That's not what i said.
>>
>>84607504

It's the same.

The movie loses its meaning if they pull the "Deckard was a replicant all this time!"

"A robot with humanity vs a robotic robot" Is better than "a robot with humanity vs a robotic robot"
>>
File: Derrida-in-Ghost-Dance.jpg (13KB, 641x347px) Image search: [Google]
Derrida-in-Ghost-Dance.jpg
13KB, 641x347px
>>84607504
>Deckard is human at that point in time, for all intents and purposes
>>
>>84607585
>The movie loses its meaning
It doesn't
Because Deckard is human at that point in time, for all intents and purposes.
>>
>>84584206
Since replicants only live 4 years, aging isnt really a concern.

But if a replicant didnt have a set death-date, they most likely would age because they are made out of organic material. They are indisquinsihable from humans physically, which is why they use psychological tests to expose them. Muscle, bones and fat grown in a lab still age.
>>
File: Travis.jpg (11KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
Travis.jpg
11KB, 400x400px
>>84607815
>Because Deckard is human at that point in time, for all intents and purposes
>>
>>84607448
>so why would they imply that in the film

because ridley scott is a senile jackass.
>>
>>84586799
Unicorn was in Directors cut, which was made without consulting Ridely, it was based of notes from the 1982 workprint version. Which im pretty sure also included the unicorn.

Maybe Ridley Scott is a hack, maybe he isnt. But he didnt become a hack in 2007, he was either always a hack or never a hack.
>>
>>84586895
RLM's review was so full of misinformation Im now questing every quirky fact about movies they've ever presented.

> Directors Cut (which added the unicorn) was not even put together by the Director, this is well known.
> Unicorn was not unused footage from another movie, it was filmed for Blade Runner but cut out until it was reintroduced in the later versions. (Theatrical Cuts ending was partially made with unused footage from the Shining, which RLM didnt even mention)
>>
File: 1480387072688.jpg (33KB, 680x465px) Image search: [Google]
1480387072688.jpg
33KB, 680x465px
>>84607941
>Directors cut, which was made without consulting Ridely
>>
File: C24jXVUXcAEP0LH.jpg (69KB, 598x792px) Image search: [Google]
C24jXVUXcAEP0LH.jpg
69KB, 598x792px
>>84607901
>>
>>84608029
Yeah. They dropped the ball hard.
>>
>>84608179
How am I supposed to argue against an incomprehensible phrase?
>the replicant was essentially a human because he thought he was a human
How long ago, if ever, did you watch the movie?
>>
any notice that only the "replicants" have any sort of emotions while all of the "humans" are unfeeling assholes?

my opinion is that everyone is a replicant of sorts but the nexus6 were the first series to be created with the capacity for emotion.

there isn't REALLY a 4 year lifespan, but "retirement" in that they need their memories wiped and re-placed to study and over time improve how the replicants can process emotions.

thats my take on it anyways
>>
>>84608565
>any notice that only the "replicants" have any sort of emotions while all of the "humans" are unfeeling assholes?

I think is intentional but does not go beyond that in the original.
I bet in 2049 you will be shown 100% right and th justification will be the climate disaster.
A bit like Ergo Proxy.
Remember the original had the out-of-the-planet
colonies (in which replicants were used as slaves and this triggers the plot).
Thread posts: 265
Thread images: 36

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.