[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's your take on it?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

File: si1.jpg (354KB, 1060x1500px) Image search: [Google]
si1.jpg
354KB, 1060x1500px
What's your take on it?
>>
I like the brainwash interpretation better so I just go with that, but more evidence points to the he was insane and it was an elaborate plan
>>
>>84543979
Underrated, great film.
I appreciate there being a 'secret' twist, that he actually had been tricked. I read a really good article on all the subtle, small things in the film that proved that he wasn't actually a patient.
It was things like Mark Ruffalo disappearing and then all the staff pretending he had never existed which makes no sense knowing the ending. Also, he only ever sees his daughter in his hallucinations, never his supposed sons. And the tower moves, ie there are actually two towers and we only see one of them.

I'll see if I can find it
>>
>>84544353
Yeah I had a long argument with a friend about the twist
I held he was not insane because the hospital legitimately was doing fucked up shit and they do exactly what he was warned would happen. Also how could they trigger him forgetting everything at the right time to make any of it work
>>
>>84544086
>>84544353
>>84544437
Movie does a real good job of portraying how legitimate mental illness can feel. Constantly questioning whether you are insane or not and every time you think you have an answer there are little bits that make you unsure.
>>
Really great movie.
>>
This isn't the one I mentioned above, but it does a good job of outlining the reasons why not to accept the narrative presented as true
http://wistfulwriter.com/2010/08/the-shutter-island-mystery-a-visual-analysis/
>>
>>84544437
>>84544353

He was insane, and the proof is right at the beginning when he fumbles to hand over his gun.
>>
>>84544902
I'm reading this >>84544836
at the moment, the author is presenting the idea that, though he was insane, the institution was experimenting with implanting fake memories. Take a gander
>>
It's the best Dicaprio-Scorsese film.

Shutter Island
Gangs of New York
The Departed
The Aviator
Wolf of Wall Street
>>
>>84543979
Any other director I'd say it was a masterpiece.

But Scorsese can and has done much better.

7/10 decent flickerino
>>
>>84545072
Not mentioned or alluded to once in the film, therefore can be disregarded.
>>
>>84545072
>implanting fake memories
False memories are classic psychosis.
>>
>>84543979
made me realise dicapro is a really good actor
>>
>>84545171
Read the guy. I don't know if I fully agree with him, but there are many things (and lots of people ha noticed them) that are very inconsistent with the narrative that the ward gives
Attempting to implant fake memories is a potential solution to why this is
>>
>>84545259
Stupid.
>>
Explanations aside, this is a truly fantastic film made so well. It's a shame it doesn't receive more recognition
>>
Ah, here we are
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/62/bbv4life/shutter-island-teddy-sane-proof-726990/
This is the one I read a few years back.
Between this and >>84544836
there's a good amount of reason to reject the doctors' story.
>>
>>84544902
But Ruffalo was the one who fumbled with his gun
>>
>>84545864
Realised I said the wrong person, but it translates just the same.

DeCaprio even gives him an odd look.
>>
>>84544902
I said earlier that the evidence for insane is stronger I just enjoy the memory manipulation explanation better and so I just choose that one
>>
>>84543979
you're just gonna get a bunch of people complaining about how predictable the "twist" was, as if that's the purpose of films. it's the visuals that made me love it, very dreamlike from the start
>>
File: 23982374982.jpg (59KB, 500x471px) Image search: [Google]
23982374982.jpg
59KB, 500x471px
>>84546287
>I just enjoy the memory manipulation explanation better and so I just choose that one

It's just one of those stupid theories, like how I'm sure I could extract a basic interpretation that everyone is an interdimentional alien besides the main character. They're just phony conspiricy theories done by people classically overanalysing and finding something that isn't there.
>>
>>84546394
>animal farm

my english teacher
>well actually this is an allegory for the inevitable failings of communism

you
>herp derp it's just a kids book about farm animals
>>
>>84546607
theme =/= plot
maybe if he had argued that shutter island wasn't actually about mental illness at all you'd be onto something
>>
>>84546394
Well the movie does offer up the possibility of experimentation. I enjoy conspiracy theories too because they are just entertaining. I dont believe them though
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.